NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Uniter of the Ophidias 2GG
Creature - Snake Shaman (M)
All Naga and Serpent creatures creatures you control are Snakes in addition to their other types.
Other Snake creatures you control get +1/+1.
Tap an untapped Snake you control: target creature you control gains deathtouch until end of turn.
2/4

IIW: Make Lifegain worth it
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Number Adder
{G}{U}
Creature - Snake (U)
Whenever you draw your second card each turn, Number Adder gets +1/+1 and gains vigilance until end of turn.
Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Number Adder.
2/2

IIW: Vanilla creature from a post-Strixhaven set
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Forked Asp 2R
Creature — Snake (U)
When Forked Asp enters the battlefield, if it isn't a token, create a token that's a copy of it.
Whenever Forked Asp attacks, it deals 1 damage to the player or planeswalker it's attacking.
1/1

IIW: legend of zelda

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Judging shortly... ... ... ...

Mergatroid_Jones

Judgmentations
Show
Hide
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Tempt with Knowledge BR
Sorcery (R)
Target player creates a Food token. It gains "When this artifact is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, draw two cards. Then choose up to two creatures you control and sacrifice each other nonland permanent you control."

Crucify 2B
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target non-Snake non-Serpent creature.

IIW: cartoony
The flavor is there with tempt with knowledge, but the execution is quite strange and janky.

Crucify strikes me as an odd place to put a creature type restriction. You can crucify an ooze, but not a snake.

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Baleful Rattlesnake
3{B}
Creature - Snake (U)
2{B}: Target Snake gains your choice of menace or deathtouch until end of turn.
3/2

Hognose Snake
1{B}
Creature - Snake (C)
Feigning Death 3{B}: Until end of turn, Hognose Snake gains "When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control."
2/1

Birthing Boa
4{G}{G}
Creature - Snake (U)
When Birthing Boa enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Snake creature token.
3{G}: Create a 1/1 green Snake creature token.
3/6

Snake Charmer
1{B}{G}
Creature - Human Shaman (U)
When Snake Charmer enters the battlefield, choose one-
-You gain 1 life and create a 1/1 green Snake creature token.
-You lose 1 life and create a 1/1 black Snake creature token with deathtouch.
-Each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
1/2

A pile of common and uncommon snakes. Fine cards all. I like the snake charmer, but I think the third mode muddles it up.

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Glass-Scale Boa 1G
Creature — Snake {R}
At the beginning of your end step, remove all counters from Glass-Scale Boa.
3/3

IIW: murder mystery
I don't like creature-creep, and essentially this is using trinket text that's neither inherently good nor bad to justify a 3/3 for 1G. While those stats are nowadays not ridiculous, I still don't like it.
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Sidewinding Slipsnake -- G
Creature - Snake {C}
Evade 1 (This creature can't be blocked by creatures with mana value 1 or less.)
Whenever Sidewinding Slipsnake deals combat damage, you may have it gain an additional point of evade.
1/1
Cobra-Fang Apprentice -- 2b
Creature - Snake Assassin {U}
Cobra-Fang Apprentice enters the battlefield with a deathtouch counter.
When Cobra-Fang Apprentice deals combat damage to a creature, you may remove all deathtouch counters from it. If you do, put that many +1/+1 counters on it.
1/3

Next: Reflections in the mirror
I like the slipsnake very much, although perhaps a counter would be necessary for memory.

The assassin is a nice idea, but I feel with that second ability, there should be a way to regain the deathtouch counter other than entering the battlefield.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Uniter of the Ophidias 2GG
Creature - Snake Shaman (M)
All Naga and Serpent creatures creatures you control are Snakes in addition to their other types.
Other Snake creatures you control get +1/+1.
Tap an untapped Snake you control: target creature you control gains deathtouch until end of turn.
2/4

IIW: Make Lifegain worth it
All snakes are snakes, and snakes are better! Honestly mythic feels unnecessary. It's just a dorky little tribal lord.
1 year ago
Number Adder
{G}{U}
Creature - Snake (U)
Whenever you draw your second card each turn, Number Adder gets +1/+1 and gains vigilance until end of turn.
Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Number Adder.
2/2

A+ play on words.

And yes, this seems like a very logical step from the recent themes of these abilities we've seen. Not only is it a decent card, I'm sure we'll see something very similar printed in the next few years.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Forked Asp 2R
Creature — Snake (U)
When Forked Asp enters the battlefield, if it isn't a token, create a token that's a copy of it.
Whenever Forked Asp attacks, it deals 1 damage to the player or planeswalker it's attacking.
1/1

When one snake is just not enough.

So I looked up red snakes on Scryfall..... only ONE! Fire Snake. Considering how many snakes live in environments classified as red by mtg, that's kinda crazy.

So I like your card more for that reason.
Honorations
Show
Hide
Honoration to Spacemonaut for a much deserved red snake, and Sporegorger for the matter of the adder.

Victoration to One and Only for the Sidewinding Slipsnake.
Next: Reflections in the mirror

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Mirrorsteel Servant 1WU
Artifact Creature — Shapeshifter (R)
Whenever Mirrorsteel Servant blocks one or more creatures, it becomes a copy of one of those creatures until end of turn.
2/2

Sporegorger_Dragon

Kiki-Jiki, Mirrors Shattered
{U}{U}{R}{R}
Legendary Creature - Goblin Shaman (M)
Vigilance, haste
Sacrifice another permanent, {T}: Create a token that's a copy of target creature you control, except it isn't legendary, it has haste, and is a Reflection in addition to its other types. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
2/2
"It is of utmost importance that the foul thing does not reach the Mirror Gallery!" -Meloku

Mergatroid_Jones

Unbroken Mirror 4
Artifact (M)
When a nontoken creature enters the battlefield, sacrifice Unbroken Mirror. If you do, create X tokens that are copies of that creature where X is that creature's power. The tokens have base power and toughness 1/1, and are not legendary.

A Shadow of the Truth U
Instant (R)
Counter target creature spell unless its controller pays X, where X is its mana value. If the spell is countered in this way, its controller creates a token that's a copy of it except its base power and toughness are 1/1, and it is not legendary.

IIW: The next iteration of Jace, Nissa, or Vraska. (These planeswalkers become phyrexianized in ONE)

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Aneerb, the Peacemaker 1BW
Legendary Creature - Warlock Bird {M}
Flying
Whenever an opponent attacks you, if you have less life than another one of your opponents, that attacking player puts two -1/-1 counters on a creature they control and you draw a card.
3/1

IIW: fractals
MEG

Ulka

Pondering Glass 2U
Artifact
U, T: Look at the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order. You may shuffle then draw a card.
Most glass may show your reflection, but this one can show your reflections

IIW: Espionage

Megiddo
MEG

Dramatic Makeover 1W
Enchantment - Aura {C}
Enchant creature
When Dramatic Makeover enters the battlefield, create a Mirror token. (It's an artifact with "1, T: Look at the top card of your library. You may sacrifice this artifact to put that card into your graveyard.")
Whenever enchanted creature attacks a player, if that player controls a Mirror, untap enchanted creature, put a +1/+1 counter on it, then remove it from combat.

IIW: eternity
MEG

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Judging in five or six hours. Get 'em in, folks!

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Reflections and mirrors show up a lot in Magic history, and with varied purpose. Older players will remember Mirror Universe, Reflect Damage and Pure Reflection (not to mention cards like Broken Visage), but recently reflections and mirrors still pop up in the form of Cryptolith Fragment // Aurora of Emrakul and Reflections of Littjara.

That's a long way of saying, I tried not to have any set expectations. So let's see what we get!
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Mirrorsteel Servant 1WU
Artifact Creature — Shapeshifter (R)
Whenever Mirrorsteel Servant blocks one or more creatures, it becomes a copy of one of those creatures until end of turn.
2/2
This is kind of interesting. It basically blows up any "square" creature (one with power equal to its toughness). Unfortunately, it doesn't trigger any ETB effects (though it might trigger leaves or dies effects), and you're not likely to nab a cool utility creature this way. It's a good rattlesnake card, that will most likely get the opponent with the biggest critter on the block to avoid attacking you.

Kudos on considering the possibility of the Servant blocking more than one creature simultaneously (although I don't think that's technically required). An interesting alternative might be to make it able to copy any creature blocking or blocked by any other card called Mirrorsteel Servant, which adds the possibility of not just trading for your opponent's biggest creature, but keeping a version of it for yourself!

1 year ago
Kiki-Jiki, Mirrors Shattered
{U}{U}{R}{R}
Legendary Creature - Goblin Shaman (M)
Vigilance, haste
Sacrifice another permanent, {T}: Create a token that's a copy of target creature you control, except it isn't legendary, it has haste, and is a Reflection in addition to its other types. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
2/2
"It is of utmost importance that the foul thing does not reach the Mirror Gallery!" -Meloku
Hey there, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker (and Fable of the Mirror-Breaker // Reflection of Kiki-Jiki)! Wasn't quite expecting you. The haste+vigilance+tap is a really sweet combination. The requirement to sacrifice a creature seems very un-blue (and only minorly red) but keeps it from becoming an entirely infinite loop -- until Kiki-Jiki does reach the Doubling Season. (The Mirror Gallery seems like an odd choice, since the tokens it creates are non-legendary).

Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Unbroken Mirror 4
Artifact (M)
When a nontoken creature enters the battlefield, sacrifice Unbroken Mirror. If you do, create X tokens that are copies of that creature where X is that creature's power. The tokens have base power and toughness 1/1, and are not legendary.

A Shadow of the Truth U
Instant (R)
Counter target creature spell unless its controller pays X, where X is its mana value. If the spell is countered in this way, its controller creates a token that's a copy of it except its base power and toughness are 1/1, and it is not legendary.
Unbroken Mirror can get silly very quickly with any go-wide strategy, especially with any large creature that provides an anthem effect. I suppose there's an argument waiting for creatures which provide a power boost to themselves, or have variable power. That being said, I really like this card and want to build a deck for it,

A Shadow of the Truth is pretty strong for a 1MV counterspell, especially since most players tap out or come close to it when casting spells. Having 1 or 2 mana extra is pretty typical, but 5 or 6 for a 5MV creature is unlikely. And in that case, you neutralize your opponent's threats, and gain one of your own (even as a 1/1) -- plus get some ETB or eventual die trigger in there, too. That's a little too much for just one mana.

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Aneerb, the Peacemaker 1BW
Legendary Creature - Warlock Bird {M}
Flying
Whenever an opponent attacks you, if you have less life than another one of your opponents, that attacking player puts two -1/-1 counters on a creature they control and you draw a card.
3/1
It took me a while before I figured out the connection to Breena, the Demagogue -- hate to say it, but with so many sets coming out recently, I haven't kept up like I used to. Pretty interesting rattlesnake card; though it may just mean that your opponents will always attack with a sacrificial mook to absorb the counters. I'd probably spec it so the other player has to put the counters on an attacking creature, which dulls the threat to you.

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Pondering Glass 2U
Artifact
U, T: Look at the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order. You may shuffle then draw a card.
Most glass may show your reflection, but this one can show your reflections
Hmm. It's not quite scry or surveil. Nice that you can bin the top three if you don't like them; but I'd probably make it look 3 → put on top or on bottom of library → draw a card, because everyone seems to agree that shuffling sucks.

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Dramatic Makeover 1W
Enchantment - Aura {C}
Enchant creature
When Dramatic Makeover enters the battlefield, create a Mirror token. (It's an artifact with "1, T: Look at the top card of your library. You may sacrifice this artifact to put that card into your graveyard.")
Whenever enchanted creature attacks a player, if that player controls a Mirror, untap enchanted creature, put a +1/+1 counter on it, then remove it from combat.
While I've come to despise tokens with built-in abilities -- it's a relic of having lived through 4th through 6th editions, and dealing with Walls and Legends having innate abilities, and then all the arguing about taking those away -- well, it's also having a glut of Gold and then Treasure tokens, then Food and Food and Food and Food, and then the Strixhaven tokens (I can't even remember what those tokens were anymore -- Fractals? Inkblots? Shards? Somethings?) -- well, I actually like the Mirror tokens ability, because I like that the optional sacrifice means you may not necessarily build up a ton of them, and, let's face it, looking at a card isn't really worth all that much. I'd probably remove the mana cost to activate it, or, possibly, increase it, but add the ability to look at any player's library.

I'd have to know the larger context of these to rate the second ability. Getting a +1/+1 token each turn isn't that great (especially since you do risk combat to get it), and I'm not certain how you'd be sure your opponent would ever get a Mirror token ... or that they would definitely have one when you expect them to, since they can sacrifice it. So, altogether, it feels a little weird as a card.

The winner! I'm going to go with nogarD regrogeropS for derettahS srorriM ,ikiJ-ikiK!

Which means! The next challenge is: Vanilla creature from a post-Strixhaven set!

Megiddo
MEG

vanillas eh

Eiganjo Honor Guard W
Artifact Enchantment Creature - Fox Samurai {C}
2/1

if dfc cards count as vanilla, pretend this is a dfc with an artifact samurai (B) or an enchantment samurai (W) as the two sides.

IIW: a slow death
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
if dfc cards count as vanilla, pretend this is a dfc with an artifact samurai (B) or an enchantment samurai (W) as the two sides.
For the sake of this particular challenge, and in contrast to the earlier blue Runeclaw Bear round, I will rule that a DFC only counts as a vanilla creature if both sides are vanilla creatures.

Mergatroid_Jones

Unstable Germ 0
Creature- Germ (U)
Where others saw a curiosity, Ludevic saw an opportunity.
4/0

Ironclad Stonework 4
Artifact Creature- Construct (U)
"Why did they put metal armor on a stone statue?" -Shinta, Royal Assassin
1/9

Haramaru, Hound of Heiko R
Legendary Creature- Dog (R)
From a three legged pup rescued out of the river to the right hand of the great warlord herself.
2/2

Mishra's Killbot 6
Artifact Creature- Killbot Construct (U)
"Resource Investment: Great
Lethality: Unparalleled
Practical Application: Nil" - Design notes, discarded

10/1
Slight Cheat
Show
Hide
Only cheating on the timeline.

Novice Summoning 1
Sorcery Creature- Elemental Lesson (C)
1/2

Intermediate Summoning 4
Sorcery Creature- Elemental Lesson (U)
4/3

Advanced Summoning 8
Sorcery Creature- Elemental Lesson (R)
8/10

IIW: Trinkets, gadgets, gewgaws, doodads, gizmos, whatsits, and whirligigs

Sporegorger_Dragon

People busy with all the New Yearisms and working hard on regretful Mondays, so let's get to it.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
vanillas eh

Eiganjo Honor Guard W
Artifact Enchantment Creature - Fox Samurai {C}
2/1

IIW: a slow death
Indeed quite fitting as a DFC as well, I can see this as two brothers who each followed very different paths in life. Uruza-san and Mishiru-san maybe?
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Unstable Germ 0
Creature- Germ (U)
Where others saw a curiosity, Ludevic saw an opportunity.
4/0

Ironclad Stonework 4
Artifact Creature- Construct (U)
"Why did they put metal armor on a stone statue?" -Shinta, Royal Assassin
1/9

Haramaru, Hound of Heiko R
Legendary Creature- Dog (R)
From a three legged pup rescued out of the river to the right hand of the great warlord herself.
2/2

Mishra's Killbot 6
Artifact Creature- Killbot Construct (U)
"Resource Investment: Great
Lethality: Unparalleled
Practical Application: Nil" - Design notes, discarded

10/1
Slight Cheat
Show
Hide
Only cheating on the timeline.

Novice Summoning 1
Sorcery Creature- Elemental Lesson (C)
1/2

Intermediate Summoning 4
Sorcery Creature- Elemental Lesson (U)
4/3

Advanced Summoning 8
Sorcery Creature- Elemental Lesson (R)
8/10

IIW: Trinkets, gadgets, gewgaws, doodads, gizmos, whatsits, and whirligigs
Out of these, the Germ tickles my fancy the most. Now that Germ is distinct from Phyrexian, we might see it applied creatively to other entities.

Impressed that Haramaru's career path, and I appreciate you adding the Killbot type to Mishra death mech.

Sorcery creatures seem...unworkable within the rules.

Well, both contestants have performed well, so I'm gonna with Megiddo on this one

Winner: Megiddo!

NEXT:
A slow death

Megiddo
MEG

happy new year, all!
MEG

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

happy new year!

Bedrid 1B
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Kicker
Enchant creature
When Bedrid enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, tap enchanted creature.
Whenever enchanted creature becomes untapped, put two -1/-1 counters on it.

Last edited by spacemonaut 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

Mergatroid_Jones

Doom 1BB
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature.

Why doesn't this exist yet?

Oh yeah, because it's totally unfun.

IIW: Liar

Sporegorger_Dragon

Impeding Doom
{B}
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature or planeswalker
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a doom counter on Impeding Doom. Then, if there are three or more doom counters on Impeding Doom, exile the enchanted permanent.

IIW: A card that makes Food in blue or red

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Roaming Bansee B
Creature - Banshee (U)
When Roaming Banshee enters the battlefield, destroy target permanent with a doom counter on it.
When Roaming Bashee dies, shuffle it into your library. If you do, put a doom counter on a creature or planeswalker an opponent controls, then scry 2.
1/1

IIW: yandere or tsundere

Megiddo
MEG

Bored so I am going to judge now.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Bedrid 1B
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Kicker
Enchant creature
When Bedrid enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, tap enchanted creature.
Whenever enchanted creature becomes untapped, put two -1/-1 counters on it.

I enjoy this Bubble Snare/Brink of Disaster kind of thing. I might move the generic cost to the kicker since the base card isn't that strong, I think. There's something as well to be said that this triggers on untapping rather than tapping (which is far, far more common). Punishing attacking after the fact vs. punishing it immediately lowers the power level here significantly. Worth asking why it's this way (obviously the current wording prevents this from being 1UB Disfigure since they have to untap first), but I'm open to hearing thoughts on that.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Doom 1BB
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature.

IIW: Liar
You are right that this is unfun. There's a couple of creatures that do this (Harbinger of Night and Midnight Banshee), but having this on an enchantment is pretty mean. Pestilence got it right back in the day by going away when there were no creatures. I don't know that this would be oppressively good or anything these days (Magic has really changed a lot!) but it wouldn't be a fun card for casual players.
1 year ago
Impeding Doom
{B}
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature or planeswalker
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a doom counter on Impeding Doom. Then, if there are three or more doom counters on Impeding Doom, exile the enchanted permanent.

IIW: A card that makes Food in blue or red
The name Impending Doom is sadly taken already. But that's OK. This one reminds me more of Reality Acid, though without the combo possibilities. Maybe Inevitable End should be part of the comparison conversation too. Anyway, this is very cheap, but three turns is a LONG time without any value in the meantime. I think this needs something else to make it playable.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Roaming Bansee B
Creature - Banshee (U)
When Roaming Banshee enters the battlefield, destroy target permanent with a doom counter on it.
When Roaming Bashee dies, shuffle it into your library. If you do, put a doom counter on a creature or planeswalker an opponent controls, then scry 2.
1/1

IIW: yandere or tsundere
Speaking of something else. Could there be a set where Doom counters were the primary counter? That would be something. If so, I doubt you could print this card at B. Though that does have the juices flowing a little bit. Maybe not a counter, but a status? Like imagine: "Target creature becomes doomed" with a helper card you slip under it. Doomed being a status like Monstrous. Maybe "Cursed?" Anyway, as for the actual card, this is fine. If this is the ONLY card that does doom counters in its set: I like that it combos with multiple copies of itself, and it has a weak way to self-combo. I think I'd like this to have even just slightly better stats so that you'd be more willing to play it. Even a 2/1 for 1B or something would make it more attractive.

Winner: spacemonaut
Next: legend of zelda
MEG

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Lucrative Vandalism 1RG
Sorcery (R)
Destroy all noncreature artifacts. For each artifact put into a graveyard this turn, create a Treasure token or Food token chosen at random.
It's said mysterious tiny fae hide rupees and other trinkets under rocks, among tall grass, and, indeed, inside clay pots.

Indeed they could be reflavored as Rupee and Heart tokens, but that doesn't feel strictly necessary.

Kholdstare, Icy Gaze 2UW
Legendary Creature - Elemental Eye (R)
Vigilance, hexproof from all but red
T: Put a stun counter on target nonland permanent.
3/6

Wallmaster 2UU
Creature - Hand (U)
Flash
Whenever Wallmaster blocks or becomes blocked by one or more creatures, you may put Wallmaster and each creature blocking or blocked by it on top of their owners' libraries, then those players shuffle.
2/2

IIW: "at random"
Last edited by Ink-Treader 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ulka

Wrath of the Cuccos 3WW
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures.
If a Bird creature you control was dealt damage this turn, you may cast this spell as an instant.

IIW: Discard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”