NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Cythare » 1 year ago

I checked on this yesterday morning and was hoping that a weekday would garner some more entries. Starting to judge now!
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 1 year ago

Entries
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Parboil -- 1R
Enchantment - Aura {U}
Enchant land
Whenever enchanted island is tapped for mana, you may add an equal amount of R. If enchanted land is an Island or Plains, Parboil deals one damage to its controller.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I was surprised to learn Boil, Choke, and other early color-hate cards were assigned mythic status in Amonkhet -- but, then again, I wouldn't want them to be more available. I always liked the theme that certain colors worked very well against others, but early sets overplayed this antipathy -- Flashfires can be monstrous against a mono-white deck, and utterly useless if a deck doesn't have Plains in it.

I like the "soft" drawback of adding mana; it's often going to be a minimal drawback, since you might not be in a position to use the mana. The one damage is minimal, and only a drawback in the very early and very late game states.
If I Win: Answers
This is sort of cheating — all of the Invocations are assigned mythic status (same with Inventions). That being said, this is sort of a tough card to use. The damage is fine, but I wish that the mana added didn't empty until your next end step so that you could use it on your turn.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Ur-Dragon Egg 2
Legendary Creature - Dragon Egg (U)
T: Add one mana of any color.
Eminence - If Ur-Dragon Egg is your commander, rather than cast it from the command zone, exchange it with a dragon creature card from your hand. If you do, that card becomes your sole commander. If it isn't all colors, its mana cost becomes UWRGB in all zones.
0/2

IIW: shh, listen!
The four instances of Eminence that we have are abilities that function on the battlefield or in the command zone, which this doesn't really do. This is an interesting combo commander, but given that it isn't designed for Limited, I'm not sure if it would actually be uncommon? It's at least a cool card that I'm sure would get some brewing going for players!
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Flowertender
1{G}
Creature - Elemental (U)
When Flowertender enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token.
Landfall -Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a +1/+1 counter on a Plant creature you control.
1/1

Yarok's Flowerpicker
{B}{G}{U}
Creature - Elemental Horror (U)
Whenever Yarok's Flowerpicker or another nontoken permanent enters the battlefield under your control, choose one you haven't chosen this turn-
-Each opponent loses 1 life.
-Create a 0/1 green Plant creature token.
-Draw a card.
3/2

Two dragons birds, one stone:

Nicol, the Last Fallen
1{U}{B}{R}
Legendary Creature - Elder Dragon (U)
Partner with Ugin, the Last Fallen
Flying, trample
Whenever another Dragon enters the battlefield under your control, target player discards a card.
3/3

Ugin, the Last Fallen
1{U}{B}{R}
Legendary Creature - Elder Dragon (U)
Partner with Nicol, the Last Fallen
Flying, haste
Whenever another Dragon enters the battlefield under your control, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
2/4

IIW: Runeclaw Bear (ie 2 MV/CMC vanilla 2/2 creature) for blue.
Too many favorite mythics! Going one by one:

I like Flowertender a lot - it's a good uncommon landfall enabler and junior avenger of zendikar. I'd happily play this in a Plant token deck in Limited.
Yarok's Flowerpicker is cute, but Yarok desecrates and this seems to mostly grow things. Three color uncommons are difficult, though, and I think this hits a good rate all around.
Ugin being a 2/4 with haste feels a little weird, but I like the synergy between the two partners. These are fine uncommon partner commanders for Commander Legends 3.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Selvala, Soul of the Wilds 2GG
Legendary Creature — Elf Scout (U)
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player draws a card if they control a creature with the greatest power or tied for the greatest among creatures on the battlefield.
: Add GG. Add an additional if you control a creature with power 3 or greater, an additional if you control a creature with power 6 or greater, and an additional if you control a creature with power 9 or greater.
Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner.)
2/2

IIW: ELDEN RING
This is a solid rate for uncommon, but I wish that her mana ability either went from 1 to 4 or excluded herself from the assessment. Minor nitpicking on numbers though, and I like this choice of reimagining, as well as the timing of the trigger.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Lorthos the Tidemaker 5UUU
Legendary Creature- Octopus (U)
Whenever Lorthos, the Tidemaker attacks, you may pay 8. If you do, tap up to eight target permanents. Those permanents don't untap during their controllers' next untap steps.
When Lorthos emerges from his deepwater realm, the tides bow to his will and the coastline cowers in his presence.
8/8
non-troll entry
Show
Hide
Kess of Grixis BRU
Legendary Creature- Human Wizard (U)
Flying
When Kess enters the battlefield, exile up to one noncreature, nonland card from your graveyard. During any of your following turns, you may play that card from exile.
2/3
IIW: Your favorite uncommon reimagined as a mythic
Lorthos the Freshmaker!

Kess is cool! The wording of "play" here is cute with the ZNR MDFCs if you get in a real tight bind, but other than that, this is a good one-shot version of Kess, and I appreciate that it's set up similar to other newer-ish cards where it isn't feast or famine if Kess dies before you can cast it.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Solar Giant 4WW
Creature - Giant (U)
Vigilance
Whenever Solar Giant enters the battlefield or attacks, you may return target permanent card with mana value 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
3/3

IIW: Powerful Uncommons
Awesome! I think you could maybe get away with this being a 4/4 given that it's a 6-drop that's going to have to attack into other 6-drops to get extra value, but this is a cool and straightforward powering down of a mythic into uncommon status.
Winner and Next
Show
Hide
HMs: Everybody who was kind enough to share their favorite mythics with me! Downshifting cards is hard, and I appreciate all these designs.
Winner: Mergatroid Jones for Lorthos a cool 3-color uncommon spells-matter commander
Next: Your favorite uncommon reimagined as a mythic
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Fact GW
Legendary Creature - Incarnation (M)
Indestructible
Shifting (After your first combat phase each turn, transform this, bound to its colors, then take an additional combat phase. If you are bound to colors, until you bound again, you can't cast spells that are other colors, and permanents you control that are other colors are phased out.)
3/3
--
Fiction UR
Legendary Creature - Illusion (M)
Whenever Fiction attacks, draw a card.
Shifting (After your first combat phase each turn, transform this, bound to its colors, then take an additional combat phase. If you are bound to colors, until you bound again, you can't cast spells that are other colors, and permanents you control that are other colors are phased out.)
3/3

An over-the-top take on Reality A vs. Reality B. The idea is to play Fact/Fiction as commander, and alternate between playing in your GW reality and your UR reality. You could also play them as simply very strong maindecks, but the penalty gets immensely higher if it dies and you can't access half of your deck for the rest of the game (or more than half your deck, if your colors are lopsided!)
By the way, Fiction doesn't have "Transforms from Fact", so any side is playable, like zendikar lands. So you can always access the last side after it dies as commander.

Last edited by Juancu 1 year ago, edited 14 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Not certain if it's my favorite uncommon, but it's the first one I really like that came to mind!

Plethoraflood 3UG
Creature - Elemental (M)
Trample, ward 4
Whenever Plethoraflood untaps for the first time each turn or whenever its ward cost is paid, double the number of each kind of counter on up to four target permanents.
4/4

IIW: Fun with ward

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Horrific Recoil -- 2UB
Sorcery
For each card in target player's hand, that player returns a permanent they control to hand, then discards that many cards.
If I Win: Bending or breaking the rules

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Marsh Flitter is easily one of my most favorite cards ever, never mind uncommon. You can see its influence in a lot of what I design.

Faerie Defector
2{B}{B}
Creature - Faerie Rogue (M)
Flying
When Faerie Defector enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 black Goblin Rogue creature tokens.
Sacrifice a Rogue: Choose one you haven't chosen this turn-
-Target player draws a card and loses 1 life.
-Faerie Defector gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
2/2

"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Kin-Tree Invoker 2BG
Creature — Human Warlock (MR)
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, bolster 1. (Choose a creature with the least toughness among creatures you control and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
At the beginning of your end step, create an X/X black and green Spirit Warrior creature token, where X is the greatest toughness among creatures you control.
2/2

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

I'll do my best to judge tonight

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Risen Reef GGUU
Creature - elemental (M)
(Normal risen reef ability here)
This creature's power and toughness is equal to the number of elementals you control.
Noncreature spells you cast have "elemental convoke" (You may tap elementals you control to help pay for spells you cast. Each elemental tapped this way pays for or one mana of that creature's color.)
*/*

IIW: Universes Beyond: Marvel

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Eternal Titan 4GG
Creature - Giant (M)
Trample
When Eternal Titan enters the battlefield or attacks, return up to one card from your graveyard to your hand.
"She remembers every word spoken, but when nature calls, even heroes run."
6/6

IIW: Design a card for your favorite set mechanic that has not be reprinted yet
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Mergatroid_Jones

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Fact GW
Legendary Creature - Incarnation (M)
Indestructible
3/3
--
Fiction UR
Legendary Creature - Illusion (M)
Whenever Fiction attacks, draw a card.
3/3

An over-the-top take on Reality A vs. Reality B. The idea is to play Fact/Fiction as commander, and alternate between playing in your GW reality and your UR reality. You could also play them as simply very strong maindecks, but the penalty gets immensely higher if it dies and you can't access half of your deck for the rest of the game (or more than half your deck, if your colors are lopsided!)
By the way, Fiction doesn't have "Transforms from Fact", so any side is playable, like zendikar lands. So you can always access the last side after it dies as commander.

Who-da-whadda how? The potential of turning off crucial parts of your deck is less "high-stakes/high reward" and more "Oh, so I don't get to play anymore". I enjoy your strange mechanics, but I think this one is a bit too much.

Ink-Treader wrote:
1 year ago
Not certain if it's my favorite uncommon, but it's the first one I really like that came to mind!

Plethoraflood 3UG
Creature - Elemental (M)
Trample, ward 4
Whenever Plethoraflood untaps for the first time each turn or whenever its ward cost is paid, double the number of each kind of counter on up to four target permanents.
4/4

IIW: Fun with ward
The real fun is trying to figure out what card it's based off of... I gotta say, I have no idea. Galloping Lizrog? Merfolk Skydiver? Something with graft?

I doubt they'd make a card like this anymore that doesn't give any counters itself. Then again, Vorinclex is a counterexample. Doubling counters can get rediculous, and even paying the exorbitant ward doesn't save you from the 16 +1/+1 counters on their mana-dork. Seems fair for a mythic.

OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Horrific Recoil -- 2UB
Sorcery
For each card in target player's hand, that player returns a permanent they control to hand, then discards that many cards.
If I Win: Bending or breaking the rules
Ouch! This is a mean card, but it's only good against a certain kind of deck. And that deck had better counter it or else.

Imagine ramping this out on turn two off of Dark Ritual or something. So all my lands are back in my hand and I have to discard 6 cards? Gee, thanks. But that's for Vintage/Legacy to worry about.

This card is dangerous though. Maybe it should cost 1BRU. That way not even a Black Lotus gets it out much earlier than it's fair. But that change may be enough to render it useless.

Difficult to evaluate without testing. But I like it.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Marsh Flitter is easily one of my most favorite cards ever, never mind uncommon. You can see its influence in a lot of what I design.

Faerie Defector
2{B}{B}
Creature - Faerie Rogue (M)
Flying
When Faerie Defector enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 black Goblin Rogue creature tokens.
Sacrifice a Rogue: Choose one you haven't chosen this turn-
-Target player draws a card and loses 1 life.
-Faerie Defector gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
2/2

Nice tweak going off of Rogues to include the creature itself. It's sort of in between Marsh Flitter and Rankle, Master of Pranks. Perhaps you could've gotten away with a third option.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Kin-Tree Invoker 2BG
Creature — Human Warlock (MR)
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, bolster 1. (Choose a creature with the least toughness among creatures you control and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
At the beginning of your end step, create an X/X black and green Spirit Warrior creature token, where X is the greatest toughness among creatures you control.
2/2

Interesting that you have an ability that cares about the greatest toughness and another that cares about the least. But this goes big and it goes wide. Tokens trigger the bolster, so this thing can go nuts bolstering in commander. Then it produces immediate value, potentially creating a huge threat every turn (this dude likes a nice Wall of Junk).

Honestly, this card is filthy and degenerate. But all it does is make huge dudes and make dudes huge. There's no evasion, and it can't be a commander. So it's probably fair.

chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Risen Reef GGUU
Creature - elemental (M)
(Normal risen reef ability here)
This creature's power and toughness is equal to the number of elementals you control.
Noncreature spells you cast have "elemental convoke" (You may tap elementals you control to help pay for spells you cast. Each elemental tapped this way pays for or one mana of that creature's color.)
*/*

IIW: Universes Beyond: Marvel
It's pretty wordy considering Risen Reef's ability already takes up a lot of the text box. But yeah, Risen Reef already does everything you want to do. This just does it more so. You play play an elementals, you draw cards, you use your elementals to play the cards you drew, and your guy gets huge.

Again, the thing that makes this reasonable is that it can't be commander. That would be a bit of a nightmare. But as is it would be unfun to face.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Eternal Titan 4GG
Creature - Giant (M)
Trample
When Eternal Titan enters the battlefield or attacks, return up to one card from your graveyard to your hand.
"She remembers every word spoken, but when nature calls, even heroes run."
6/6

IIW: Design a card for your favorite set mechanic that has not be reprinted yet
It's Eternal Witness, but on a titan. And that speaks for itself. Pretty perfect. my only note would be that it kinda steps on Sun Titan's toes, but it's different enough that it doesn't bother me. Perfect nametoo.

Hard to argue with a simple, solid design.
Winner and Next
Show
Hide
HM: Ulka for Eternal Titan and to One and Only for some truly Horrific Recoil.
WINNER: Sporegorger Dragon for Faerie Defector
NEXT: Runeclaw Bear (ie 2 MV/CMC vanilla 2/2 creature) for blue.

Juancu

Burly Wizard 1U
Creature - Human Wizard (U)
2/2

(??)

IIW: against trope

Mergatroid_Jones

^Dang. The perfect design has already been posted.^

Jubilant Flautist 1U
Creature- Human Bard (C)
When Jubilant Flautist attacks, each player draws a card.
2/2

IIW: Return to Amonkhet mechanic

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Burly Wizard 1U
2/2

(??)

somebody had to do it
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Dang it, how can I beat that
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

"perfect"??? it's not even a bear

Moonclaw Bear 1U
Creature — Bear
2/2

get on my level

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Like, you guys do know that wotc doesn't give blue a bear because it's not supposed to have good creatures, right? To that end...

Bearable reading 1u
Enchantment
Whenever you draw your second card in a turn, transform bearable reading
///
Rune-bound bear
Creature - Bear Elemental
2/2

IIW: Universes beyond: Marvel

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

oh yeah i guess that makes sense if you, you know, use reasons and things

Runeclaw Ritual GU
Enchantment (R)
Whenever you draw your second card in a turn, create a 2/2 green Bear creature token.

it's 2 mana and there's a vanilla 2/2! and it's for blue!

Juancu

Thinking of more ways to cheat. 1: Effects that affect casting (flash, cost reduction) don't do anything for the permanent. 2: Transform.

Unbearable Thought 3U
Creature - Illusion (U)
Flash
Unbearable Thought costs 2 less to cast for each card you've drawn this turn (this only reduces the amount of colorless mana you pay.)
2/2

Anodine, Workaholic From Another World 1U
Legendary Planeswalker - Anodine (M)
+1: Check Status - Put a loyalty counter on Anodine.
+0: Identify - Scry 1
-5: Retire to the Countryside - Transform Anodine. Until end of turn, he gains "T: Draw a card."
--
Anodine, Relaxed Farmer
Legendary Creature - Human Peasant (M)
2/2
Last edited by Juancu 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

@Mergatroid_Jones My base card for that round was Gilder Bairn. Which I definitely should have mentioned.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Unburdened Spirit 1U
Creature — Spirit {R}
Flash
When Unburdened Spirit enters the battlefield, scry 2, then draw a card.
2/2

IIW: Magic ...
MEG

Juancu

Jeskai Illusion 2
WUR Creature - Illusion
(Jeskai Illusion is white, blue and red.)
2/2

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 1 year ago

Winds of the Polar Spirits 2U
Snow Sorcery
Tap up to two target creatures you don't control. They don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
Channel1U, Discard Winds of the Polar Spirits: Create a 2/2 blue Spirit Bear snow creature token. Activate only if an opponent controls no untapped creatures.

Ursine Shardstone 1U
Artifact
Ursine Shardstone enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add C. Spend this mana only to cast instant or sorcery spells.
2UU, Discard an instant or sorcery card: Ursine Shardstone becomes a 2/2 blue Bear creature and loses all other types and abilities until end of turn.
To the wizards of Kromus, the bear is the sigil of the Western Star and its arcane magicks.

Next: ally-color partners (regular partner, not partner with)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Personally, I feel it's only a matter of time before before power creep eventually lets blue get a 2/2 and finally complete the cycle.

Okay, now I was hoping by specifying a vanilla 2/2 for blue, that most of the entries would trying to justify it from a flavor point of view, like a Djinn Monk, or a whole bunch of Merfolk Soldiers. But I was also curious if there were other ways one could justify a blue Runeclaw Bear.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Burly Wizard 1U
2/2

(??)

Here we have the baseline. Perfectly adequate.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
^Dang. The perfect design has already been posted.^

Jubilant Flautist 1U
Creature- Human Bard (C)
When Jubilant Flautist attacks, each player draws a card.
2/2

IIW: Return to Amonkhet mechanic
I understand the reasoning behind this, but the prompt specifies "vanilla".
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
"perfect"??? it's not even a bear

Moonclaw Bear 1U
Creature — Bear
2/2

get on my level

Another adequate entry.
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Like, you guys do know that wotc doesn't give blue a bear because it's not supposed to have good creatures, right? To that end...

Bearable reading 1u
Enchantment
Whenever you draw your second card in a turn, transform bearable reading
///
Rune-bound bear
Creature - Bear Elemental
2/2

IIW: Universes beyond: Marvel
I was hoping for something like this. Vanilla? Check. 2 MV? Check. This actually ticks all the right boxes for me.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
oh yeah i guess that makes sense if you, you know, use reasons and things

Runeclaw Ritual GU
Enchantment (R)
Whenever you draw your second card in a turn, create a 2/2 green Bear creature token.

it's 2 mana and there's a vanilla 2/2! and it's for blue!

Well, technically, yes, but it does much more than a vanilla blue ear.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Thinking of more ways to cheat. 1: Effects that affect casting (flash, cost reduction) don't do anything for the permanent. 2: Transform.

Unbearable Thought 3U
Creature - Illusion (U)
Flash
Unbearable Thought costs 2 less to cast for each card you've drawn this turn (this only reduces the amount of colorless mana you pay.)
2/2

Anodine, Workaholic From Another World 1U
Legendary Planeswalker - Anodine (M)
+1: Check Status - Put a loyalty counter on Anodine.
+0: Identify - Scry 1
-5: Retire to the Countryside - Transform Anodine. Until end of turn, he gains "T: Draw a card."
--
Anodine, Relaxed Farmer
Legendary Creature - Human Peasant (M)
2/2
Unbearable Thought: Doesn't qualify. Not vanilla, flash does make a difference, and you can with some hustling cast it for 1.

Anodine: Hmm, somewhat better, in that he eventually does become a vanilla 2/2.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Unburdened Spirit 1U
Creature — Spirit {R}
Flash
When Unburdened Spirit enters the battlefield, scry 2, then draw a card.
2/2

IIW: Magic ...
Disqualified! Not vanilla at all!
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Jeskai Illusion 2
WUR Creature - Illusion
(Jeskai Illusion is white, blue and red.)
2/2
Now this is interesting indeed. Fulfills the requirements (I realize now I didn't specify monoblue) and is a clever way to do so.
lookingupanddown wrote:
1 year ago
Winds of the Polar Spirits 2U
Snow Sorcery
Tap up to two target creatures you don't control. They don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
Channel1U, Discard Winds of the Polar Spirits: Create a 2/2 blue Spirit Bear snow creature token. Activate only if an opponent controls no untapped creatures.

Ursine Shardstone 1U
Artifact
Ursine Shardstone enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add C. Spend this mana only to cast instant or sorcery spells.
2UU, Discard an instant or sorcery card: Ursine Shardstone becomes a 2/2 blue Bear creature and loses all other types and abilities until end of turn.
To the wizards of Kromus, the bear is the sigil of the Western Star and its arcane magicks.

Next: ally-color partners (regular partner, not partner with)
Winds of the Polar Spirits: Another way to produce a vanilla blue bear. I like this implementation better than Runeclaw Ritual.

Ursine Shardstone: Good idea, but I would hardly call it a vanilla bear.
Results:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
HM: Juancu for Jeskai Illusion

Winner: cheetos for Bearable Reading/Rune-Bound Bear

Next:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Universe Beyond: Marvel
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Juancu

Spider-man 2W
Legendary Creature - Spider Human Superhero (R)
Vigilance, Ward 2
W, T: Target creature an opponent controls gets -2/-0 until end of turn. If it's attacking, it becomes blocked by Spider-man.
2/2

Last edited by Juancu 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”