Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Whirling Courier 4
Artifact Creature- Thopter (C)
Prototype 0- 0/1
Flying, Vigilance
2/3

IIW: Something so simple it should've been done by now.

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Irreproducible Masterpiece
Legendary Artifact (R)
Prototype 1
T: Add CC.
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice an artifact with mana value 1.

Mergatroid_Jones

Saheeli's Pet Project
Artifact Creature- Thopter(R)
Prototype 2RU- 2/3
Flash, Flying, Haste
Saheeli's Pet Project costs 1 less to cast for each experience counter you have.
1: Return Saheeli's Pet Project to it's owner's Hand. You get an experience counter.
8/8

IIW: Doodads, gewgaws, gadgets, gizmos, trinkets, baubles, whatsits and whirligigs

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Long morning

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Cogwork Snatcher 5
Artifact Creature - Construct
Prototype 3 - 2/2
Draft Cogwork Snatcher face up.
Whenever an opponent drafts a card from a pack, you may draft that card instead. If you do, that player drafts Cogwork Snatcher.
When Cogwork Snatcher enters the battlefield, draw a card.
4/4

IIW: Draft Matters cards
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Gatecrasher Krasis 5GU
Creature — Frog Rhino
Prototype 2GU — 2/2
Trample
When Gatecrasher Krasis enters the battlefield, you may distribute X +1/+1 counters among any number of other creatures you control, where X is its power. If you don't, you gain X life.
6/6

Juancu

Forgotten Mechanic W
Artifact Creature - Construct Artificer
Prototype B - 2/1
Whenever Forgotten Mechanic attacks, it gains first strike until end of turn.
2/1

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Long morning
in the biz we call this an "italian morning."
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Glitchy Lightbringer 7
Artifact Creature - Construct Soldier (R)
Prototype UW - 0/0
At the beginning of your end step, gain 1 life and draw a card.
4/6

Exquisite Painstigator 3
Artifact Creature - Construct (R)
Prototype 2BB - 1/1
At the beginning of your end step, Exquisite Painstigator deals damage to you equal to its power, then you draw a card.
3/3

IIW: Magic Endings
Our first entry I think has the most obvious extension of prototype, that being multicolor prototype costs. It's obvious because it's a good idea and it's something I hope to see. I'm not especially compelled by the "extremely powerful creature with 0 toughness" idea in general, but here it works well because that's essentially a bonus on top of an otherwise reasonable card. You also, smartly, put this in the colors whose flagship uncommon would keep it alive.
Painstigator is another extension that I like, wherein the prototype cost is more expensive than the normal cost. That could possibly violate some rules of prototype, as it does somewhat defeat the purpose of the mechanic. But I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this down the road too. The scaling of damage while keeping the card draw reward consistent is clever.
Cythare wrote:
1 year ago
Enchantment Creature — Avatar (M)
Prototype 1WW — 1/1 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
Other enchantment creatures you control get +X/+X, where X is Avatar of Heliod's Mercy's base power.
3/3

Momentum Machine 5
Artifact — Vehicle (U)
Prototype 1G — 2/2
Haste
Whenever Momentum Machine attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Crew X, where X is half of Momentum Machine's power, rounded down.
5/5

IIW: What's Saheeli's next cool invention?
First, I like the similar Academy RuinsHall of Heliod's Generosity naming convention for "typeshifting" a mechanic. I don't know that "prototyping" an enchantment makes any sense, but we'll roll with it. I still hold out hope that we get the Mirrodin for enchantment creatures someday (modern horizons 3?) and this card would specifically be a fun inclusion in that set. Numbers look good, mythic seems appropriate.
My jaw was *just* about to drop before I realized that Momentum Machine was a vehicle. That means we can comp with Untethered Express which I recall was one of the better cards in that set. Here, the crew cost scales with power. I think it's actually worse to cast for the 5 mana since after attacking once it hits crew 3, which is somewhat enormous. Haste is strong, but I think this falls off fairly quickly.
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Lifeforce Mak Fawa 7
Artifact Creature - Angel Dragon
Prototype 2RW -- 3/3
Flying, first strike
You don't lose the game for having 0 or less life.
This creature gets -1/-1 for every point below 0 your life is. (I don't know how to write this in magic rules, you get it, though, right?)
5/7

IIW: unexpected creature type mashups.
I think that reminder text would fit right into an un-set, lol. It makes sense, but I don't believe the rules currently handle this. You could do some funky workarounds (something sort of like Phyrexian Unlife, for example), but for now I'll just look at the intent. This comps to Platinum Angel, of course, though the extra flexibility here (and obviously the increased size) helps. This is more like Unlife than Platinum Angel though since it just extends your life total by a little bit. It FEELS odd to have that effect on a combat-oriented 3/3 flier, but I think that's all reasonable.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Extravagant Workhorse 5
Artifact Creature - Horse (R)
Prototype UR - 1/3
Spells with X in their mana costs you cast cost an amount of mana less to cast equal to Extravagant Workhorse's power.
Spells with X in their mana costs your opponents cast cost an amount of mana more to cast equal to Extravagant Workhorse's toughness.
2: Target creature can't block Extravagant Workhorse this turn.
3/5

IIW: Outside the game
The second ability caught me off guard a bit. But, hey, the horse works both ways. The third ability... also confused me. Anyway, I'm in favor of the card overall.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Larvanoctis Wurm 1BG
Creature - Phyrexian Wurm (U)
Apotheosis (You may cast this spell in, or change this creature into, this state as a sorcery for 4BG. It keeps its other abilities and types.) 4BG - 6/6
Whenever Larvanoctis Wurm attacks, you may put a +1/+1 counter on it. If you don't, it gains trample and menace until end of turn.
2/2
I think being able to have the flexibility to cast this as the small side, the big side, or get BOTH takes away something from the prototype mechanic. It's like... prototype AND monstrosity. This specific card is also horrendously strong, I think.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Walking Megabomb 8
Artifact Creature- Construct (R)
Prototype 2R- 4/2
Trample
Walking Megabomb can't block.
When Walking Megabomb deals combat damage to a player, sacrifice it. If you do, it deals that much damage to each creature, each planeswalker, and each player. (This includes the player dealt combat damage).
8/8

IIW: Legendary lands
Wow, so if this somehow gets through unblocked in its big form, it could deal up to 16 damage? Lol! Even at 8 mana I think that's a bit rich. If this limited to just creatures, I'd feel a lot better about it.
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Runed Quiglip -- (2/U)(2/U)(2/U)
Artifact Creature - Weird
Prototype - 2UU - 2/2
Flying
When Runed Quiglip enters the battlefield, discard your hand, then draw cards equal to the amount of blue mana spent to cast it.
3/3
If I Win: Butterflies
Ooh, I love the flavor of prototype with Weirds. Though, this specific card doesn't have any real need for prototype. I can pay 2UU to cast it for its full cost, so I'm just giving up a point of power and toughness for no reason. Am I missing something?
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Whirling Courier 4
Artifact Creature- Thopter (C)
Prototype 0- 0/1
Flying, Vigilance
2/3

IIW: Something so simple it should've been done by now.
Nice, Ornithopter prototype. I don't have any additional comments but this is fun.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Irreproducible Masterpiece
Legendary Artifact (R)
Prototype 1
T: Add CC.
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice an artifact with mana value 1.
Melvin strikes again! This is very abusable. And, even with the sac effect, it's still an artifact ritual. Dangerous.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Saheeli's Pet Project
Artifact Creature- Thopter(R)
Prototype 2RU- 2/3
Flash, Flying, Haste
Saheeli's Pet Project costs 1 less to cast for each experience counter you have.
1: Return Saheeli's Pet Project to it's owner's Hand. You get an experience counter.
8/8

IIW: Doodads, gewgaws, gadgets, gizmos, trinkets, baubles, whatsits and whirligigs
The fact that this rapidly turns into 1UR: Get an experience counter puts it out of the range of reasonableness for me.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Cogwork Snatcher 5
Artifact Creature - Construct
Prototype 3 - 2/2
Draft Cogwork Snatcher face up.
Whenever an opponent drafts a card from a pack, you may draft that card instead. If you do, that player drafts Cogwork Snatcher.
When Cogwork Snatcher enters the battlefield, draw a card.
4/4

IIW: Draft Matters cards
I think my main problem here is that I'd never in a million years want to give up a colorless Phyrexian Rager with upside for a random card.

"late" entries:
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Forgotten Mechanic W
Artifact Creature - Construct Artificer
Prototype B - 2/1
Whenever Forgotten Mechanic attacks, it gains first strike until end of turn.
2/1
We have hybrid mana already! Perhaps there's an alternate universe where the P/T could be changed here (imagine a blue drake/red dragon split, for example?).
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Gatecrasher Krasis 5GU
Creature — Frog Rhino
Prototype 2GU — 2/2
Trample
When Gatecrasher Krasis enters the battlefield, you may distribute X +1/+1 counters among any number of other creatures you control, where X is its power. If you don't, you gain X life.
6/6
Weirds, Krasis..is, yeah, Ravnica likes prototyping organic beings. This is strong! I like the backup for when your strong ability would somehow whiff!

Sorry for the delay folks!

Winner: Juancu
Next: Magic Endings
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Jace, Ancient Telepath 4U
Legendary Planeswalker- Jace (R)
When you remove the last loyalty counter from Jace, Ancient Telepath by activating a loyalty ability, exile it, then return it to the battlefield transformed.
{-2}: Draw 2 cards then discard a card.
{-1}: Return target tapped nonland permanent to its owner's hand.
{{5}}
/////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Jace's Legacy
Legendary enchantment
5U: Draw a card. Tap up to one target creature.
Blue planeswalkers you control have "{+2}: Scry 1."
Killed by disease of the lung in his 97th year. He will be remembered.

Chandra, Cornered By Fate XR
Legendary Planeswalker- Chandra (R)
When you remove the last loyalty counter from Chandra, Cornered by fate by activating a loyalty ability, exile it, then return it to the battlefield transformed.
{-Y}: Chandra deals Y damage to target creature. Excess damage is dealt to that creature's controller.
{-1}: Chandra deals 5 damage to target planeswalker. Excess damage is dealt to that planeswalker's controller.
{{X}}
/////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Chandra's Legacy
Legendary Enchantment
4R: Chandra's Legacy deals 1 damage to any target.
Red planeswalkers you control have "{+1}: This planeswalker deals 1 damage to any target."
Killed slaying her nemesis in her 38th year. She will be remembered.

IIW: Something so simple it should have been done by now.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Nexus of the Forgotten
Legendary Artifact (M)
Legendary spells you cast have cascade.
As you cascade, you may put a card from among the exiled cards into your hand. (Do this after the last card is exiled but before deciding whether to cast a nonland card.)
"I had a name, once. Long ago, someone named me Nicol." -Inscription carved into fossil #837NB from Site Delta, translated via reconstruction from several extinct languages.

The Silver Statue
Legendary Artifact (M)
The Silver Statue can't become a creature.
Artifact spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.
T: Add .
"My friends have all departed before me. Now at last I join them." -Inscription at base of statue, translated from archaic Dominarian.

Timothee Capashen, Last Scion
{W}
Legendary Creature - Human Peasant (R)
Vigilance
Training
1/1
He knows nothing of Benalia, the Legacy or Urza. All he knows is that he is happy here in his little village.

Alternative flavor text: "You want fries with that?"

IIW: Jellybean monster
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Juancu

Judging in 4-5 hours

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Retirement Plan 1W
Enchantment (U)
When Retirement Plan enters the battlefield, exile target creature or planeswalker an opponent controls until Retirement Plan leaves the battlefield.
At the beginning of the exiled card's owner's upkeep, they create a treasure token.

IIW: the deep dwarven kingdoms and their frontiers

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

And we never got a Mishra, Claimed by O-Kagachi
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Juancu

Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Jace, Ancient Telepath 4U
Legendary Planeswalker- Jace (R)
When you remove the last loyalty counter from Jace, Ancient Telepath by activating a loyalty ability, exile it, then return it to the battlefield transformed.
{-2}: Draw 2 cards then discard a card.
{-1}: Return target tapped nonland permanent to its owner's hand.
{{5}}
/////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Jace's Legacy
Legendary enchantment
5U: Draw a card. Tap up to one target creature.
Blue planeswalkers you control have "{+2}: Scry 1."
Killed by disease of the lung in his 97th year. He will be remembered.

Chandra, Cornered By Fate XR
Legendary Planeswalker- Chandra (R)
When you remove the last loyalty counter from Chandra, Cornered by fate by activating a loyalty ability, exile it, then return it to the battlefield transformed.
{-Y}: Chandra deals Y damage to target creature. Excess damage is dealt to that creature's controller.
{-1}: Chandra deals 5 damage to target planeswalker. Excess damage is dealt to that planeswalker's controller.
{{X}}
/////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Chandra's Legacy
Legendary Enchantment
4R: Chandra's Legacy deals 1 damage to any target.
Red planeswalkers you control have "{+1}: This planeswalker deals 1 damage to any target."
Killed slaying her nemesis in her 38th year. She will be remembered.

IIW: Something so simple it should have been done by now.
It's amazing how a 5-card cycle can define a whole set in our minds, and be the one thing that would be locked in a return.
I like Jace a Chandra, with the caveat that the transformation is very fiddly to get. I want a card which has its coolness usually, not 2% of the time. I think I'd prefer if the transformation came from many +1s instead... oh, that would be an ultimate. Less flavorful and too mundane. Mmm... maybe the +1 and -1 both give you something? And then it can flip?
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Nexus of the Forgotten
Legendary Artifact (M)
Legendary spells you cast have cascade.
As you cascade, you may put a card from among the exiled cards into your hand. (Do this after the last card is exiled but before deciding whether to cast a nonland card.)
"I had a name, once. Long ago, someone named me Nicol." -Inscription carved into fossil #837NB from Site Delta, translated via reconstruction from several extinct languages.

The Silver Statue
Legendary Artifact (M)
The Silver Statue can't become a creature.
Artifact spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.
T: Add .
"My friends have all departed before me. Now at last I join them." -Inscription at base of statue, translated from archaic Dominarian.

Timothee Capashen, Last Scion
{W}
Legendary Creature - Human Peasant (R)
Vigilance
Training
1/1
He knows nothing of Benalia, the Legacy or Urza. All he knows is that he is happy here in his little village.

Alternative flavor text: "You want fries with that?"

Nexus is certainly something, and I think the flavor is cool. I don't have fond memories of cascade, though. But apparently people like it, since it has a couple of appearances beyond alara. This would a cool place for it.
On final Karn, seems fair and has a flavorful trinket text. But a bit too narrow I think, even for trinket text. Maybe "If it would become a creature, something instead"? That would preserve the flavor and become a bit of a goal.
FInally, Timothee feels more like a new beginning. But I guess there are really no beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was an ending.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Retirement Plan 1W
Enchantment (U)
When Retirement Plan enters the battlefield, exile target creature or planeswalker an opponent controls until Retirement Plan leaves the battlefield.
At the beginning of the exiled card's owner's upkeep, they create a treasure token.
Excellent all around.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
And we never got a Mishra, Claimed by O-Kagachi
All right, here's a try then:
Mishra
Show
Hide
Mishra, Claimed by O-Kagachi 2BR
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (R)
Ward - Destroy Mishra, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
When Mishra enters the battlefield, if it didn't enter from exile, create a white Prison enchantment token with "RB: This enchantment becomes a 4/3 creature until end of turn", then exile Mishra until that permanent leaves the battlefield.
5/6
Winner: Me, for Mishra. But since I forgot an IIW, Mergatroid_Jones for the flipwalkers.
Next: Something so simple it should have been done by now.

Juancu

Break R
Instant (C)
Destroy target artifact.

More conceptual... I think "Visit - Draw a card" was pretty cool, and felt so intuitive that it didn't even register as a novel implementation. I've always wanted shorter triggered abilities. The whole "beginning" should have been implicit. If it triggers at a point, of course it triggers immediately upon reaching that point. It's not like other triggers say "Whenever a creature dies, right away draw a card." And to make it more clear than a dash, triggered could use an arrow in parallel to activated's colon. "At end step → Sacrifice this."

Goblin Concocter 1R
Creature - Goblin Shaman (U)
Enter → Draw a card.
Dead → Discard a card.
2/1

IIW: scientific names

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Silverbramble Armor 1G
Enchantment - Aura {U}
As long as Silverbramble Armor is on the stack, the creature it targets has ward 2.
Enchant creature gets +2/+2 and has trample.

IIW: I'll post the Mishra design music and musicians
MEG

Ulka

Nightling bolt B
Instant
Choose one -
• Target player loses 3 life.
• Remove 3 counters from target planeswalker.
• Target creature gets -0/-3 until the end of turn.

IIW: Cards designed for Jumpstart Packs

Sporegorger_Dragon

Cramming
1{U}
Sorcery (U)
Draw three cards, then discard two cards.
There's only so much room.

Risky Reward
{B}
Sorcery (U)
Draw two cards. Skip your next two draw phases.
Is it worth it?

Saprophyte Sporebirth
2{B}{G}
Sorcery (C)
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
The soil and even the air contain countless spores waiting for the nutrients to sprout.

Undergrowth Troll
2{G}
Creature - Troll Warrior (C)
1{G}: Put a shield counter on Undergrowth Troll. Tap it. At the beginning of the next end step, remove all shield counters from Undergrowth Troll.
3/2
This new breed of troll can regenerate from wounds that would kill regular trolls.

IIW: Bad common green flyer that makes even Rosewater go "Y'know what? Green can have that."

Juancu

Miss
Instant (C)
The controller of target spell or ability may change its targets. If any target changed this way, draw a card. Otherwise, if that spell or ability had one or more targets, counter it.
Last edited by Juancu 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Tropical Mosquito
{B}
Creature - Insect (U)
Flying
Whenever Tropical Mosquito attacks, you may pay {B} and 1 life. If you do, it gets +1/+0 and gains infect until end of turn.
0/1

Idea Theft
{U}{B}
Sorcery (C)
Target player discards a card.
Draw a card.

Voracious Caterpillar
{G}
Creature - Insect (R)
: Voracious Caterpillar becomes a Giant Insect with base power and toughness 3/3.
: If Voracious Caterpillar is a Giant, put a defender counter and two +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes a Giant Insect Pupa.
: If Voracious Caterpillar is a Pupa, remove all defender counters from it, draw two cards, then put a flying counter on it and it becomes a Giant Insect Horror with base power and toughness 5/5.
1/1

(Yes, the 2nd ability is repeatable if you so wish and allows you to reuse the third)

Oni of Torture
2{B}{B)
Creature - Demon Spirit (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life.
5/5

IIW: Bad common green flyer that makes even Rosewater go "Y'know what? Green can have that."
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Steady Growth 1G
Enchantment (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

IIW: Perfectly fine cards that nonetheless shouldn't exist.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Barkskin Chant 2GG
Enchantment
When Barkskin Chant enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Elemental creature token.
Whenever a creature you control attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
"Grow with the forest or become its food."
—Inscription found in Oran-Rief

IIW: the deep dwarven kingdoms and their frontiers
Last edited by spacemonaut 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Tolarian Elf U
Creature - Elf Wizard
The first instant or sorcery spell you cast during your turn costs less.
0/1

IIW: Unexpected creature type mashups.

Ulka

Bloodbeard Wrathful R
Creature - Dwarf Berserker (U)
Haste
Bloodbeard Wrathful must attack each turn if able.
2/1

Wooded Pond
Land (U)
Wooded Pond Enters the battlefield tapped.
T, Sacrifice Wooded Pond: Search your library for an Island or Forest card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.

IIW: Design an Uncommon meant for limited/ cube play

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”