NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Cythare » 1 year ago

Rayne, Ingenious Chancellor 2UU
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard (M)
Ward—Skip your next untap step
If you would choose one or more modes while casting a spell, you may instead choose any number of modes.
Whenever you cast a modal spell, Rayne, Ingenious Chancellor connives.
2/2

IIW: A prank Teferi pulled while enrolled at Tolarian Academy
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Judging in ~4 hours
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And I'm judging.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

wizyard wrote:
1 year ago
Zur's Mirror U
Legendary Enchantment (R)
Reverse the order in which layers are applied for continuous effects.

iiw: dont use the word creature
I like this and this is one of those times the world type is justifiable. The name is very flavorful - the association with Zur, notable enchanter/messed-up guy, helps, and it's a very simple line of text. The problem is this does too many, unintuitive things, and I'm sure there are many situations this would matter and it would be relatively hard to explain why it DOES matter that I can't even think of offhand.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Patience 2WW
Creature - Incarnation (R)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, create a Pace world enchantment token that only exists until your next upkeep. As long as you control it, spells and non-mana abilities don't resolve and don't prevent casting sorceries, activating abilities as sorceries, and ending steps, phases and turns.
2/4

IIW: finally complete
Why is there, of all things, a world enchantment token involved in this rules hack? Obviously the overall effect is quite flavorful to the name "Patience" and I like really unusual white cards, but this implementation is too wacky for its own sake. Really nice idea, however, if sometimes frustrating to play against and even with.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Shoyei Verada, Shieldmage 2WW
Legendary Creature- Human Wizard (R)
Ward 3
Replace all printed instances of the keyword action "destroy" with the keyword action "tap" on all instant and sorcery cards.
Replace all printed instances of the keyword action "exile" with the keyword action "destroy" on all instant and sorcery cards.
3/4

Otherworld Elixir 4
Artifact (R)
If a nonland permanent you control is tapped but untopped, you may tap it as though it were untapped. If you do, it becomes topped. (rotate it upside down. A topped permanent is tapped and doesn't untap or untop during its controller's untap step. If it would become untapped, instead it becomes untopped, but remains tapped.)
5,T: Untop target topped permanent. Activate this ability only once per turn.

Special rule to fix foreseen issue: Kamigawa flip cards cards can't become topped.

Imagination 3u
Creature- Incarnation (R)
Flying
You may treat an imaginary object as though it existed to be a target for a spell or ability. (For example if a spell says "Target opponent draws 2 cards", you may target an imaginary opponent. No cards will be drawn.)
3/3

Karametra, the Bounteous 4GW
Legendary Enchantment Creature (M)
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to green and white is less than seven, Karametra isn't a creature.
Damage is dealt to creatures you control in the form of +1/+1 counters.
7/6

IIW: A black card for an artifact cube.
Shoyei's clearly the best design here. Wording issues aside, this fits the prompt by messing with what happens with regard to the most common keyword actions, everyone understands it, and it's nice and splashy. I don't know if the character is a canonical relative of Teyo but I don't care all that much to look that up. Otherworld Elixir is... sort of overly fiddly, and I lowkey hate the word "topped" for this (surely "overtapped" is the better bet). Imagination kind of falls in the same camp as Patience, although like Patience I also like how brilliantly creative it is. Karametra is missing the God type and... is a Vigor sidegrade, so as a design for this challenge it's uninspired.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Needlepoint Instigator 1{U/R}
Creature — Faerie Rogue
Flying
Whenever Needlepoint Instigator attacks a creature, goad it. (Until your next turn, that creature attacks each combat if able and attacks another player or their creatures if ale.)
1/3

IIW: Player counters (experience, poison, etc)
Am I missing something here? Is this meant to go in a set with a mechanic that allows creatures to attack one another kind of like a more intuitive but also more messy provoke? In a vacuum it's sort of nonsensical.
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Quandrix Manipulator 2GU
Creature - Elf Wizard
Creature cards you own and creatures you control use their base power as their mana value.
"All you need to do is realize that there's nothing out there limiting how you define the values."
4/2

IIW: The wolves are at the door.
Fun Jxnny design that would have heavily benefited from being on a smaller creature. Would cause confusion considering it does not change mana costs.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
1 year ago
Nepotistic Privilege
Conspiracy (M)
(Start the game with this conspiracy face up in the command zone.)
Your starting life total is reduced by 5.
You can't modify your deck between games.
Whenever you win a game, you win the match.
"I don't see what the problem is. Put in the hard work like I have, and you too can succeed."

IIW: Your favourite recent mechanic
This is a supremely griefery card and also not quite what I had in mind here.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
You've already seen this:

Layer Relayer
2{U}
Creature - Platypus (M)
Apply effects in any layer you want. You may apply layers in a different order to different objects. (Use only at your own risk. Listen you figure this out yourself. Go check the rules or the FAQ or something.)
0/1
It's an egg-layer, and layer-egg.

But these are new:

Free-Spirited Spirit
{U}{R}
Creature - Spirit (U)
Flying
Effects that say "can" take precedence over effects that say "can't."
2/2

Loopy Loach
2{U}
Creature - Fish (R)
Flash
When a loop caused by mandatory actions occurs, instead of a draw, you choose how many times that loop repeats, then as a special action exile all objects involved in that loop.
1/4

Monty, Mon-Collecter Nepenthes

Legendary Creature - Plant (M)
Creature tokens continue to exist in zones other than the battlefield, count as cards of their respective types, and can move between zones.
You may cast creature tokens by paying {1}.
Monty, Mon-Collecter Nepenthes' power and toughness are each equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
*/*

IIW: Creatures with exactly five types
I do not like Layer Relayer one bit. If Zur's Mirror is interesting but confusing this is an excuse to %$#% with people in a way that just plain ruins friendships. Free-Spirited Spirit is actually something I designed many, many years ago (as a BR enchantment) but probably breaks more things than it should. Loopy Loach is... well, it's something, and I applaud it being an attempt to solve a persistent "problem" with some interactions, but there are multiple colors I'd rather it be than blue for a variety of reasons. Monty is potentially tracking insanity and probably a digital-only-design candidate but this is another idea I think is a lot of fun.
Flatline wrote:
1 year ago
Transcendent Force 2gw
Creature — Elemental (R)
Vigilance, trample
Spells and abilities that do not target Transcendent Force have no affect on Transcendent Force.
4/4

IIW: Band names as black-bordered card names. (No local bands. Your band should at least have a Wikipedia page.)
This is a venerable custom design but I have to tip my hat to how effective it is, and I like the other card design choices here. A nice fatty that I would have loved to have opened in a Judgment pack as a child.
1 year ago
I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. :pensive:

Tenej, the Lungless

Legendary Creature - Salamander Druid (R)
While you're searching your library, you may cast creature cards from your library.
{1}, {T}, Pay 2 life: Mill three cards. Add one mana of any color for each creature card milled this way. Spend this mana only to cast creature spells. Then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only as you cast a spell.
2/2

IIW: Creatures with exactly five types
Cease this - Panglacial Wurm is funny once, not as a two-mana commander.
Cythare wrote:
1 year ago
Rayne, Ingenious Chancellor 2UU
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard (M)
Ward—Skip your next untap step
If you would choose one or more modes while casting a spell, you may instead choose any number of modes.
Whenever you cast a modal spell, Rayne, Ingenious Chancellor connives.
2/2

IIW: A prank Teferi pulled while enrolled at Tolarian Academy
Oh this is neat! Another card with very clear and effective function. Not sure on the flavor as it relates to Rayne exactly, and not sure I like connive outside of the Obscura at this stage right after Streets of New Capenna has come out, but I just plain enjoy this card.

HMs: wizyard, Juancu, chetoos, Flatline, Cythare
Winner: @Mergatroid_Jones - for Shoyei
Next: A black card for an artifact cube

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Disciple of the Vault ? Too obvious?

Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Avid Collector 2B
Creature - Human Advisor (R)
If an opponent would create an artifact token, you create that token instead.
You can't sacrifice artifacts or Avid Collector.
1/4

chetoos

Sheoldred's innovator
Creature - Phyrexian Artificer
Artifact spells you cast have Convoke
Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you lose 2 life for each creature tapped by that spell's convoke ability.
2/2

IIW: The wolves are at the door

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Loopy Loach is... well, it's something, and I applaud it being an attempt to solve a persistent "problem" with some interactions, but there are multiple colors I'd rather it be than blue for a variety of reasons.
Oh? I'm honestly interested; what colors would Loopy Loach (or whatever color-appropriate creature) be in your estimation?
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Monty is potentially tracking insanity and probably a digital-only-design candidate but this is another idea I think is a lot of fun.
Pre-orders start for Secret Lair: Tokens Only. Nothing but 100 printed tokens, 20 blank copy tokens and 220 card sleeves for when they get into your hand/graveyard or shuffled into your library. Monty not included.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Needlepoint Instigator 1{U/R}
Creature — Faerie Rogue
Flying
Whenever Needlepoint Instigator attacks a creature, goad it. (Until your next turn, that creature attacks each combat if able and attacks another player or their creatures if ale.)
1/3

IIW: Player counters (experience, poison, etc)
Am I missing something here? Is this meant to go in a set with a mechanic that allows creatures to attack one another kind of like a more intuitive but also more messy provoke? In a vacuum it's sort of nonsensical.
I interpreted the challenge as meaning "what if we messed with the rules, what cards could we make then?". Guess that isn't what you meant. Mea culpa. :P

Sporegorger_Dragon

Foodfighter
3{B}
Creature - Orc Warrior (U)
Revolt - When Foodfighter enters the battlefield, if a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn, create two tapped Food tokens.
, Sacrifice a Food: Foodfighter deals 1 damage to any target and you gain 1 life.
3/2

IIW: Creatures with exactly five creature types.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Cicada Shell
Artifact Creature - Insect Skeleton {U}
Modular 0
Undying
0/0

IIW: uh... a RED card for an artifact cube
Last edited by Megiddo 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Cicada Shell
Suggestion: Insect Skeleton

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

is an exoskeleton a skeleton?

update: yes
MEG

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Tech Hoarder 2B
Artifact Creature - Ogre Artificer
Whenever a nontoken artifact is put into the graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on Tech Hoarder. Activity this ability only once per turn.
1B, Sacrifice an artifact: Search your library for an artifact card with mana value 3 or less, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
1/1

IIW: Cards from the new hit set: Conspiracy 3: Trade wars of Fiora Commence
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Anopheles Shell 3{B/P}{B/P}
Artifact Creature - Insect Skeleton (R)
Flying
Modular 3
3{B/P}{B/P}, T, Pay half your life, rounded up: Put a number of +1/+1 counters on Anopheles Shell equal to the amount of life paid this way.
0/0

IIW: A red card for an enchantment cube

Ulka

Mechanist's Pest
Artifact Creature - Pest Horror
(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid.)
Menace
Whenever a nontoken artifact is put into a graveyard from play, you may pay 1B. If you do, put Mechanist's Pest into play tapped from the graveyard.
3/1

IIW: a White card for a Draw Cube

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

The Priest of Yawgmoth will be judging in 4-8 hours. He swears not to give phyrexian entries any precedence. Very stern fellow.

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Behold. Judgment is upon you.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Disciple of the Vault ? Too obvious?
BANISHED, THOU ART!!
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Avid Collector 2B
Creature - Human Advisor (R)
If an opponent would create an artifact token, you create that token instead.
You can't sacrifice artifacts or Avid Collector.
1/4

Without sacrifice there is no progress. Without progress there is no greatness. Without greatness, all is as nothing.
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Sheoldred's innovator
Creature - Phyrexian Artificer
Artifact spells you cast have Convoke
Whenever you cast an artifact spell, you lose 2 life for each creature tapped by that spell's convoke ability.
2/2

This Sheoldred reaches too eagerly and seals her own seven dooms. And what of the true cost?
1 year ago
Foodfighter
3{B}
Creature - Orc Warrior (U)
Revolt - When Foodfighter enters the battlefield, if a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn, create two tapped Food tokens.
, Sacrifice a Food: Foodfighter deals 1 damage to any target and you gain 1 life.
3/2

IIW: Creatures with exactly five creature types.
The base brutishness of the fleshbound hedonist. I turn in disgust, drawn still somehow by an aroma.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Cicada Shell
Artifact Creature - Insect Skeleton {U}
Modular 0
Undying
0/0

IIW: uh... a RED card for an artifact cube
What mad manner of madcap gewcaw? It is nothing and yet it is not.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Tech Hoarder 2B
Artifact Creature - Ogre Artificer
Whenever a nontoken artifact is put into the graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on Tech Hoarder. Activity this ability only once per turn.
1B, Sacrifice an artifact: Search your library for an artifact card with mana value 3 or less, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
1/1

IIW: Cards from the new hit set: Conspiracy 3: Trade wars of Fiora Commence
All shall be had and all shall be had. But shall not be had in all its legality.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Anopheles Shell 3{B/P}{B/P}
Artifact Creature - Insect Skeleton (R)
Flying
Modular 3
3{B/P}{B/P}, T, Pay half your life, rounded up: Put a number of +1/+1 counters on Anopheles Shell equal to the amount of life paid this way.
0/0

IIW: A red card for an enchantment cube
From above and with vile quickness. The fool sees not the terror and awe.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Mechanist's Pest
Artifact Creature - Pest Horror
(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid.)
Menace
Whenever a nontoken artifact is put into a graveyard from play, you may pay 1B. If you do, put Mechanist's Pest into play tapped from the graveyard.
3/1

IIW: a White card for a Draw Cube
Yes. This will do nicely.
Cogitation and next
Show
Hide
The Priest of Yawgmoth prefers Mechanist's Pest, but he turned out to be a bit of a tosspot. So I'm giving it to the bug.

I would also totally play Food Fighter in my peasant+ artifact cube. Some of them are too powerful for that, but Tech Hoarder is the only one whose power worries me.

Winner: Megiddo
HM: Ulka and Chetoos
Next: uh... a RED card for an artifact cube

Sporegorger_Dragon

I've always liked the mini-theme of red Human Artificers with Thopter tokens:

Amateur Thopter Hobbyist
3{R}
Creature - Human Artificer (C)
When Amateur Thopter Hobbyist enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature tokens with flying.
At the beginning of the end step, if Amateur Thopter Hobbyist entered the battlefield this turn, sacrifice an artifact.
2/1

IIW: Creature with exactly five creature types.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 1 year ago

Venture Capitalist 2R
Creature — Goblin Advisor (R)
If an effect would create one or more artifact tokens under your control, it creates twice that many of those tokens instead.
Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to an opponent, create a Treasure token.
2/2

IIW: Monocolored blue or red Treasure cards
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

chetoos

Riveteer's Weldfast 2R
Creature - Devil Artificer
Each noncreature artifact card in your hand has blitz. Its blitz cost is equal to its mana cost
Blitz costs you pay for artifact spells cost 1 less for each artificer you control.
"Sure, they don't last long, but they don't to for what you're doin', do they?"
2/2

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Elementary Colaboration 1RR
Sorcery (U)
Create three 1/1 red Elemental creature tokens with "Change the text of static abilities of artifacts attached to this creature, replacing all instances of "Equipped creature" to "Each elemental you control."

(didn't work with triggered abilities, e.g. "Whenever equipped creature..." but I think static abilities should be peachy.

IIW: Finally complete

Ulka

Ancient Lightning Golem 2RR
Artifact Creature - Elemental Golem
When you cast Ancient Lightning Golem, it deals 3 damage to any target.
Flashback 1R
3/1

IIW: Cards from the new hit set: Conspiracy 3: Trade Wars of Fiora Commence

Sporegorger_Dragon

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
When Ancient Lightning Golem enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to any target.
Flashback 1R
3/1
Uhhh, Ulka? Flashback exiles the spell...

Ulka

1 year ago
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
When Ancient Lightning Golem enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to any target.
Flashback 1R
3/1
Uhhh, Ulka? Flashback exiles the spell...
thank you for the catch. I'm recreating a card I designed a while back from memory and missed that wording shift I needed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”