NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
The character development where Meg is less of a bitter old man today than he was in circa 2014 is astounding
Bitterness usually goes the other way, with people getting more jaded and bitter as they age. Good to see Megs bucking the trend. :)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

i'm still bitter/old i'm just not a raging asshole
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Not looking like a popular challenge. I'll judge sometime tomorrow afternoon.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Not looking like a popular challenge. I'll judge sometime tomorrow afternoon.
I blame myself, I kinda derailed the whole thing. My bad.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Honestly I am not from MTGS and cannot relate to it or the in-jokes being ported over from it. The specific ways in which it comes up are kind of alienating like they're just for the in club. We're not there, we're here, this is a different site going on several years of its own community—I'd ask y'all to explain the stuff coming up so the rest of us can follow along if there's anything you want us engaging with.

Bear's Apprentice 2G
Creature — Dwarf Druid
When Bear's Apprentice enters the battlefield, distribute X +1/+1 counters among creatures you control, where X is the greatest power among creatures you control.
3G: Bear's Apprentice gets +X/+X and gains trample until end of turn, where X is the number of loyalty counters on a Goreclaw planeswalker you control.
Every day, he rises to live up to her example—and survive her attempts on his life.
2/2

IIW: the gym

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Spin Anew {G/W}
Instant (U)
Return target enchantment card from your graveyard to your hand.
GW, Exile Spin Anew from your graveyard: Return target enchantment card from your graveyard to your hand. Activate only if you control a Giterre planeswalker.
"Even ruined work can be salvaged by skilled hands."
-Giterre of the Celadon

IIW: Card with activated/triggered abilities that can't be activated/triggered from the battlefield.

Megiddo
MEG

this is sort of cheating.

Fumiko Shigure 2UB
Legendary Planeswalker - Fumiko {M}
[+1]: Look at the top two cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and exile the other with an X counter on it.
[-2]: Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand. Then that player exiles a card from their hand with an X counter on it.
[-6]: You get an emblem with "When a planeswalker named Fumiko Shigure enters the battlefield under your control, transform it."
Fumiko Shigure can be your commander.
{3}
//
—????ŠŘ§ŮŠ???? ©â€š�اŮæØ¢ÃðsžšåÞя舐
ñâmå•Þ¥¿Â£½ 舐©ráÚÆ Â£Þ¥¿Š舐 {M}
[+1]: Target player discards a card and you draw a card.
[-2]: Put target nonland permanent card on top of its owner's library.
[-4]: You may play a card from exile with an X counter on it. If you cast a spell this way, you cast it without paying its mana cost.
{5}

IIW: empire
MEG

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Voyd, Antispark 2BB
Legendary Creature - Demon (R)
As an additional cost to cast Voyd, exile a Zeal planeswalker card from your graveyard.
Flying, Trample
The Sealing W
Sorcery - Adventure
Search your library for a Zeal planeswalker card, reveal it, put it into the battlefield under target opponent's control, then shuffle. It can't be attacked this turn.
7/7

Remorseless Servant 1B
Creature - Human Advisor (U)
Rather than adding loyalty to a Phuul planeswalker you control, create that many 2/1 thrull creature tokens.
Rather than removing loyalty from a Phuul planeswalker you control, sacrifice creatures with that much power or more (then remove any leftover amount.)
1/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Surprise I'm judging

chetoos - I get the Commodore Guff feel from this card, but I don't see any white in it. If anything this effect is UR. It also takes up a lot of time, fwiw - I feel like it would get annoying after overstaying its welcome (like, well, Commodore Guff).

Krishnath - High-effort! These are all pw concepts that represent character types that mostly don't exist in Magic yet, so, good job, that justifies their existence. A fairytale Snow Queen 'walker would be cool, although Tulan feels a bit like Ashiok. Quick card comments - Thordan's Sparkmage needs rewording (and I'd have it just be "on a planeswalker you control" because drinking buddies can be any color). Snowdrift Behemoth is slightly color-bendy but looks fine. Void Hound isn't all that compelling to me - having nonkeyworded ingest specifically throws me without any context. Without that triggered ability I think the card would be a lot more elegant. Nightwalker's Trickery - has a slightly odd effect; why creatures or enchantments? I'd make this "permanent spell" and move on.

Juancu - Very strange. Very innovative. On Sakem, I've designed the "Creature using +1/+1 counters to activate outside loyalty abilities" thing before, as have quite a few people I'm sure, but this is a good way to make sure it doesn't get broken. Minat's Nexus is especially intriguing. I have many questions that I actually don't want answered because the mystery here is fun. One thing is for sure - these are definitely some DIFFERENT planeswalkers than we've seen, and I like that a lot.

spacemonaut - I apologize, first off, for making you feel alienated. That's never my intention - MTGNexus Custom Cards is for everyone and you're a valuable part of it - there's a lot of prior-site history embedded in this thread but I will be conscious of not having too much "you had to be there"-ism here. In any event - Goreclaw, Planeswalker! I won't like, that's difficult to wrap my head around at least. Would it be fun, though? Absolutely. I love the flavor of Bear's Apprentice - it's hilarious and badass - and I like the design, but it's undercosted for sure; at base it distributes two counters and if it's throwing around three or more then three mana is definitely too cheap even if there is setup involved.

Ink-Treader - This is nicely-designed, but - well, it's bland. It's got conditional nonkeyworded flashback, which is just fine as a planeswalker bonus, but it's not lighting a fire under me, y'know? Would be a fine planeswalker deck uncommon (and yes, bring back planeswalker decks), but the other issue I have here is knowing nothing about Giterre other than what's on this card, I'd rather this just be a Calix-related card and have a new Calix card.

Megiddo - I thought initially this might be a character from an outside media franchise - an anime or video game - but it doesn't seem that way? Normally designs like this from the World's Biggest Suda51 Fan are in fact a vidya reference but Googling turned up nothing, so I assume this is an original character idea. Putting aside the One Fumiko Limit, she feels, I have to say, a lot like Ashiok. I'm not sure what's up flavorfully with the transform ability, but having an unpronounceable name and a purple color indicator are both creative and baffling. As a design, it works fine though!

Juancu - These are, in a way, even more baffling than your prior entries even though they let on a lot more about the planeswalkers in question, oddly enough. Voyd is a pretty neat idea but probably too parasitic - but it's a lot more elegant than your earlier versions of this design. Remorseless Servant is an interesting templating experiment, but I'm not sure how it would play - I'm gonna go with "strangely".

HMs: Krishnath, spacemonaut
Winner: @Juancu, for the Bravan and Minat cards
Next: catch... and release?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

@void_nothing Thanks for the comments on the cards. I agree on the Sparkmage, originally it only gave the loyalty counter to Thordan, but that didn't feel right, limiting it to red planeswalkers felt better but still felt a bit off. I am glad you agree with it. As for the Behemoth, Lyssa is a blue and green (as in GU) aligned walker with a snow theme, and she is very much a snow-queen. As for Tulan (a.k.a. Tulan of the Void), his whole stick is eldritch horror, whereas Ashiok's is more based in phobias and fear. There is some overlap between them i agree, but I actually created the character before Ashiok became a part of MTG, and he is *heavily* inspired by the Lovecraft mythos. I should probably have made a giant albino penguin or a shoggoth as his card, but I was trying to avoid making rares. As for the final card (the Leshrac one), it originally only targeted creatures, being a essence shatter with life drain tacked on, but it felt a little weak so I added enchantments and the exile clause, adjusting the cc accordingly. I could have gone with nonland permanent instead, but I didn't want it to hit planeswalkers and artifacts, and it would just get so wordy. >.<

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Krishnath I didn't mention it but one thing I have to praise you for is that I guessed what kind of character description each planeswalker would get, just based on the card, before clicking your spoilers open and I basically got them right every time. This means the flavor and identities are definitely strong.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Dragonfish 1UR
Creature - Dragon Fish
Haste, flying
At the beginning of your end step, return Dragonfish to your hand.
Dragonfish gets +1/+1 for each time you've cast a spell named Dragonfish this game.
1/1

IIW: Tokens
Last edited by CunningGabe 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Recruitment drive 1r
Sorcery
During target opponent's next turn, they gain control of target creature you control. That creature is goaded and gains haste and "this creature can't be sacrificed" when they gain control of it. At the beginning of your next upkeep, choose target creature that player controls. You gain control of that creature. Untap that creature, it gains haste until end of turn.

IIW: Planeswalker vacations after beating phyrexia... OR Unfinity!

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Dactyl Tiger 2GG
Creature - Cat
Whenever another creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability, you may change the target to Dactyl Tiger.
Roar - 2g, T: Counter spells and abilities that target Dactyl Tiger and put a +1/+1 counter on it. You can only activate this ability if Dactyl Tiger doesn't have a +1/+1 counter on it.
"Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe." - the list of gnomes eaten by the Dactyl Tiger
3/2

IIW: Nursery Rhymes as Cards
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Cage Trap 3W
Artifact (U)
Flash
Target creature phases out for as long as Cage Trap remains on the battlefield.
///
Bring them Back Alive! 1U
Instant - Adventure (U)
Return target nontoken creature to its owner's hand.

IIW: Welcome to the Jungle.

Megiddo
MEG

@void_nothing it is actually a character from an outside media franchise, but I changed the name to avoid spoilers. ;)
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

i'm too predictable.
MEG

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10

Post by spacemonaut » 1 year ago

Snatchall U{U/R}R
Artifact (U)
Flash
When Snatchall enters the battlefield, counter target creature spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.
You may cast the exiled card. When you do, return Snatchall to its owner's hand.

IIW: the gym
Last edited by spacemonaut 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

wonderful

Post by wonderful » 1 year ago

Capture 2UB
Sorcery (R)
Tap target creature an opponent controls, then gain control of it.
//
Sweet Relief BR
Sorcery (R)
Aftermath
Sacrifice a creature. If you do, its owner loses 2 life, then you scry 2 and draw a card.

iiw: draft uncommon in a standard set

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Bear Hug 1G
Enchantment- Aura (C)
Enchant creature you control.
When Bear Hug enters the battlefield, exile target creature with power less than enchanted creature's power until Bear Hug leaves the battlefield.

IIW: Variations on existing mechanics (like megamorph is to morph).

Juancu

Here's a reflection on my personal biases on judging: first, mechanical innovation is awesome. Then a cool flavor-to-mechanic interpretation, awesome as well. After that, how fun a card is, which is tied to card balance: I'd like to be excited to include it in my deck, but not groan if the opponent plays it. Since I play draft the most, limited/cube is my first consideration, but a card could interest me for commander, and even constructed as well.
Judgings
Show
Hide
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Dragonfish 1UR
Creature - Dragon Fish
Haste, flying
At the beginning of your end step, return Dragonfish to your hand.
Dragonfish gets +1/+1 for each time you've cast a spell named Dragonfish this game.
1/1
I'm not too strict on memory issues (things like the 'level up' guys are cool and continue to appear), but on a long game, with these guys having appeared on the early game, been killed, then 20 turns pass and a copy gets topdecked... that could be an issue. I imagine a prerelease where two players can't decide on the P/T that decides the match, ugh.
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Recruitment drive 1r
Sorcery
During target opponent's next turn, they gain control of target creature you control. That creature is goaded and gains haste and "this creature can't be sacrificed" when they gain control of it. At the beginning of your next upkeep, choose target creature that player controls. You gain control of that creature. Untap that creature, it gains haste until end of turn.
Wording is an issue here. I think the first control only lasts one turn ("during", but that could be read as when it starts) and you probably missed making the second temporary as well. Trading a 1/1 for a 5/5 shouldn't cost 1U, much less 1R. If presumed temporary, this would be fun in commander, powerful too, the "can't sacrifice" pushes it, since it would feel super safe to get 1 extra attack on your creature, plus an act of treason that frees your mana for shenanigans. Having said that, you really can't shenanigan too consistently in commander, so it's probably ok.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Dactyl Tiger 2GG
Creature - Cat
Whenever another creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability, you may change the target to Dactyl Tiger.
Roar - 2g, T: Counter spells and abilities that target Dactyl Tiger and put a +1/+1 counter on it. You can only activate this ability if Dactyl Tiger doesn't have a +1/+1 counter on it.
"Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe." - the list of gnomes eaten by the Dactyl Tiger
3/2
I think the first wording needs "a spell or ability with a single target." Some abilities have it, some change all targets, and Spellkite changes "a target" to itself, but that one doesn't have control restrictions, anyway, that's not important.
The card seems fun, if rare I could see it going up to 4/4 or higher.
Krishnath wrote:
1 year ago
Cage Trap 3W
Artifact (U)
Flash
Target creature phases out for as long as Cage Trap remains on the battlefield.
///
Bring them Back Alive! 1U
Instant - Adventure (U)
Return target nontoken creature to its owner's hand.
I wonder why you chose to go with phasing rather than the much more standard exile. After playing with The Phasing of Zhalfir, I much rather have the exile, otherwise the timing of the return feels weird (next controller's upkeep). On that one, I think it's to avoid trigger shenaningans, since here you are exiling the opponent's, I don't think it matters too much. I can see the mechanical flavor connection between the adventure and the main card, but I don't know, their link doesn't really call out to me.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
Snatchall U{U/R}R
Artifact (U)
Flash
When Snatchall enters the battlefield, counter target creature spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.
You may cast the exiled card. When you do, return Snatchall to its owner's hand.
I think this effect would be fair it it happened once. A 2-for-1 for 3 mana is strong (you get the card 'in hand') but it would be definitely be the most hated card in any draft environment if it could gain control of any number of spells. Sure, there would be 'windows' where a creature could slip through, but in any sort of fair limited game where we take turns casting spells, this unfairs it over the top.
wonderful wrote:
1 year ago
Capture 2UB
Sorcery (R)
Tap target creature an opponent controls, then gain control of it.
//
Sweet Relief BR
Sorcery (R)
Aftermath
Sacrifice a creature. If you do, its owner loses 2 life, then you scry 2 and draw a card.
At first I thought 2 life seemed a little low, but it's actually a 4 life incentive to choose the stolen creature. Simple, but I really like this card.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Bear Hug 1G
Enchantment- Aura (C)
Enchant creature you control.
When Bear Hug enters the battlefield, exile target creature with power less than enchanted creature's power until Bear Hug leaves the battlefield.
Exile is better than destroy in certain cases, but most of the time I'd prefer the Bite Down, since this effect is doubly vulnerable to creature/enchantment removal (and heck, to regular combat as well.) Give it something else to sweeten the deal. Maybe a card?
Winner and next
Show
Hide
Winner: wonderful
Next: draft uncommon in a standard set

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
I wonder why you chose to go with phasing rather than the much more standard exile. After playing with The Phasing of Zhalfir, I much rather have the exile, otherwise the timing of the return feels weird (next controller's upkeep). On that one, I think it's to avoid trigger shenaningans, since here you are exiling the opponent's, I don't think it matters too much. I can see the mechanical flavor connection between the adventure and the main card, but I don't know, their link doesn't really call out to me.
Because phasing doesn't trigger come into play and leaves play abilities. :D

Edit: It also removes everything attached to the target, including equipment, as long as it is phased out.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Wording is an issue here. I think the first control only lasts one turn ("during", but that could be read as when it starts) and you probably missed making the second temporary as well. Trading a 1/1 for a 5/5 shouldn't cost 1U, much less 1R. If presumed temporary, this would be fun in commander, powerful too, the "can't sacrifice" pushes it, since it would feel super safe to get 1 extra attack on your creature, plus an act of treason that frees your mana for shenanigans. Having said that, you really can't shenanigan too consistently in commander, so it's probably ok.
Yes, it was meant to be temporary, I did mess that up, sorry.

Juancu

Let's try signposts for wackier archetypes -

Phona, Trumpeteer 1RW
Legendary Creature - Elephant Warrior (U)
At the beginning of your combat step, each mobilized creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn. (A creature is mobilized if it has haste, vigilance, or base power 2.)
3/3

Kaccoi, Farseer 2UR
Legendary Creature - Bird Scout (U)
Flying
Whenever Kaccoi attacks, if you control a pawn and a general, draw a card (a pawn is a creature with mana value or power 1. A general is a creature with mana value or power 5, or higher.)
3/3

IIW: stickers

Megiddo
MEG

Ashen Wellspring BR
Artifact {U}
When Ashen Wellspring enters the battlefield or is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, target opponent discards a card and loses 2 life.

IIW: formation
MEG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”