12 card conqueror (ridiculous casual idea)

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

screenshot of a scryfall deck and tiny format proposal
Show
Hide
Trying to find fun uses for my spare cards and devising formats which shouldn't take very much time to play; with this one, it's all about the feats of your pseudo-commander. Since players can ignore any attempts at disruption it's all about assembling and attacking with a titan. There's a million ways to abuse the rules (detailed on the screenshot's left panel) but the silliness is part of the fun and it's all about seeing who ends up wearing bigger boots. thoughts?

With this deck, just recurring the spells, playing them to suit yr tastes and slowly wandering through the depths of Phandelver is enough to make Shu Yun punch for plenty. Breakthrough is of course broken under the rules but it's a $0.25-kinda broken which should be embraced, and besides, you can only cast it once a turn unless you stack treasures with Phandelver delves. I thought about putting in Ancient Animus but have not yet decided (as a rules council of one) whether fight effects can be ignored; your legendary guy is usually supplying the damage but the fight's impetus was external, so huh!

You can of course assemble decks around legendaries that AREN'T combat-oriented, but I think this needs a gladiatorial feel

edit: also not every deck would need to recur its graveyard this much; you could definitely build a machine that deploys all its parts and then doesn't care about drawing any more cards, since you can just choose not to lose the game via decking!

edit 2: am also open to the idea that this doesn't have to be highlander-style; wonder what you could do with the five basics, the commander and then six of the same card??

edit 3 lol: being able to ignore whatever effect you like probably shouldn't extend to cards exiling themselves, eg, anything with flashback or unearth. but if one card exiles another as part of an effect you can skip that part

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

To reiterate - you can choose not to lose the game and to ignore any effect that's not sourced from a legendary creature. this deck doesn't abuse that feature apart from that it intentionally lets itself run out of cards. you attach the eq to Cadira and put Endless Evil on a spawn (so as to have two Awakening Zones in a highlander format) and then just watch the numbers go crazy, run out of counters and places to put them, etc. fun to think about in a sheer numbers race, like playing a clicker game. explosive but um, not fast, since you need to draw a plains to get this all going!

have been playing this both one-on-one and against a wall of infinite hit points. obviously Shu Yun defeats this deck but Cadira gets the high score. (edit: I'm not sure this is true? I remember losing but nothing in Shu's deck prevents him being chump-blocked and you're the one who eventually gets inevitability; huh)

this is the sort of thing you'd add Rhys the Redeemed to, except that a) Rhys the Redeemed can either attack OR double all yr counters each turn, and b) Cadira costs 10p and always feels like a bit of an offcut, given that the main way of building her is incredibly EDHREC and undesirable, whereas Rhys feels easier to put into a weirder deck? to me? the point of these tiny experimental decks is to house spare cards or be incredibly cheap; this is over $10 and feels too lavish. will keep searching for a good example!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”