January MCC -- Round 3 -- Color Square

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Rithaniel
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

(This month's banner is my own creation, made with Blender and a little math.)

January MCC

Color Square

We all knew it was coming, when we started this month. This round is the round of four-colored spells.

Last round necessitated a lot of entries with four-color color identities, because of the way the main challenge interacted with the subchallenge, but the design implications were very different in that round compared to this one. This round specifically requires single-color mana symbols, the difference between the two rounds ends up being similar to the difference between hybrid spells and multicolored spells. The last round encouraged you to bleed mechanics between two two-color combinations. This round requires you to use all four colors.

As an aside, I was surprised we didn't have any entries from last round that just used two non-overlapping hybrid mana in the mana cost, because that would have worked. That won't be possible this round, of course, because the challenge specifically rules it out.

I am fond of making challenges that are worthy of the title "challenge." Four-colored spells are always difficult to design, so I think they're perfect for that role. The subchallenges make things spicy, too, but the main fun will be the challenge. My best advice is to not stress out about it too much, because four-colored spells are very un-explored territory. From a certain point of view, you get to make up the rules. Remember, though, that you don't have to obey all subchallenges. They are optional for a reason.

Without further ado, let's get into the challenges!

Main Challenge -- Design a card that is four colors and which has exactly four different types of single-color mana symbol in its mana cost.

Subchallenge 1 -- The card has more than four single-color mana symbols in its mana cost.

Subchallenge 2 -- The card is a permanent and not a creature.

Clarifications
Show
Hide

Main Challenge -- The types of single-color mana symbols are , , , , . Exactly four of these types must be used. A cost can use hybrid mana symbols, provided it doesn't exceed four overall colors. A cost like would work, as would . What matters is that the card is four colors and that it uses four of the five main color symbols.

I would also like to stress that is not a color symbol. It's a colorless symbol.

Subchallenge -- In order to satisfy the first subchallenge, the card must have more than four individual single-color mana symbols. So, something like would not work, but something like would. Hybrid mana would also not count.

Subchallenge -- In order to satisfy the second subchallenge, the card must have a permanent type and not be a creature. In order to satisfy this and to still have a mana cost, it must be at least among the types: planeswalker, enchantment, or artifact. However, there is one exception to this. There are various ways the card could be a planeswalker, enchantment, or artifact and also be an instant, sorcery, or even land. For example, if the card were double-faced with one side being an enchantment and the other side being a land. This leads into the exception: If the card were an instant or sorcery with the appropriate cost, and also a land in some way, it would satisfy this challenge.

Also, if the card has more than one type line, none of the type lines can contain the word "creature."

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Monday, January 30th 23:59 -- Eastern Standard Time

Judging deadline: Thursday, February 2nd 23:59 -- Eastern Standard Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide

The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form.

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Rithaniel
Ink-Treader

PLAYERS

@bravelion83
@slimytrout
@MonoRedMage
@void_nothing
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Orb of Destruction BRGW
Artifact (M)
2BR: Destroy target creature. Orb of Destruction deals 2 damage to that creature's controller.
1RG: Destroy target artifact. Orb of Destruction deals 1 damage to that artifact's controller. You gain 1 life.
GW: Destroy target enchantment. You gain 2 life.
8, T, Exile Orb of Destruction: Destroy all nonland permanents.
"Often, to conquer a world all you have to do is destroy it."
—Ob Nixilis
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Galydus, Lord of Days RRRRGWU
Legendary Creature - Giant Warrior {M}
Other creatures you control have double strike and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card."
You have no maximum hand size.
T: Untap all other creatures you control. Those creatures get +1/+1 until end of turn. After this phase, you get an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. Activate only during combat on your turn.
7/7

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Dihada, Archmage of Domination WUBR
Legendary Planeswalker - Dihada (M)
+2: Until your next turn, target creature gets -2/-0 and attacks each combat if able.
0: Exile target creature. Return it to the battlefield tapped at the beginning of its owner's next turn.
-1: Each opponent loses life equal to the number of tapped creatures they control. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
-8: Gain control of all tapped creatures. Untap them and they gain haste.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Rakhongera, Accursed Hourglass GGWUBB
Legendary Artifact (M)
When Rakhongera enters the battlefield, if you cast it, destroy target permanent an opponent controls, then draw a card.
T, Pay X life, Exile a card from your hand: You may cast target nonland card with mana value X or less from a graveyard without paying its mana cost.
Its contents have been observed to shift as it focuses on the death of a hero, an event, or a world.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Rithaniel

Round 3 is closed with some interesting designs submitted.

@Ink-Treader, it is time for the judgments. Let's see about getting these done early again.

Pairings
bravelion83 -- versus -- MonoRedMage
slimytrout -- versus -- void_nothing
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

I decided to prepare myself for judging my considering the existing 4 color cards, in terms of viability and (to a lesser extent) flavor. Quite a few of the existing designs work better in terms of considering what color they're not, and often lean on flavor of their abilities for that. Just my observation.

Alright, I'm satisfied!
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - I think Timmy finds this pretty exciting. Johnny doesn't really care. Spike is a little apprehensive about the cost, but multicolor costs these days are often a formality. If it gets to stick around it can be difficult to fight through.
(3/3) Elegance - There's 4 abilities, but they're all pretty short, and there's a very pleasing flow to the whole card.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - So this could definitely be done in BG or BW, and possibly without needing to change the damage to life loss (since it's always to a player anyway). But, regarding my note before these judgments, this is also absolutely not U, so I won't knock score here as much as I otherwise might. Mythic feels appropriate, especially with how much of a nightmare this would be to face in Limited.
(3/3) Balance - It's a big mana sink, with the 'best' ability being also the costliest. I do wonder if this would find a home in Commander. It's a great mana sink, but also a big target. It could be 'reanimated' in 1v1 formats, but to what end, with everything this does requiring mana anyway? I do think it's balanced, but can it do enough? People will certainly try to make it work.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Shattergang Brothers was the first thing to come to mind as far as similar concepts, but I'd say this overall pretty unique.
(2.5/3) Flavor - The Orb of Destruction giving life is a little weird. The flavor text feels pretty on-brand for Ob Nixilis.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - I do think the second ability would be "and you gain 1 life", but it's not technically wrong otherwise.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Exactly 4 colors as asked.
(1/2) Subchallenges - It's a noncreature permanent, but doesn't have more than 4 color mana symbols in its cost.

Total: 21.5/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Undeniably a Timmy card. Johnny certainly sees the last ability as being very breakable, without much work needed. It's rather costly for Spike, and requires board presence to be more than a walking Spellbook, but the power is intense enough to provide some allure.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The activated ability certainly uses the right parlance for extra combat/main phase, but it is a weird being activated only during combat instead of a main phase like one would expect.

Development
(2/3) Viability - The extreme red definite shows in the double strike and the activated ability. My main issue is while it's successful at not being B, it's also not really green. And definitely not white. Yeah, green can do Curiosity, but blue does that, and no maximum hand size quite often too, though that appears a few colorless cards (green only gets that when it makes sense, like Praetor's Counsel). I will note that I am judging the lack of color necessity more harshly because of reds significantly higher color weight calling attention to red more than the what's missing.
(1/3) Balance - That activated ability having no usage per turn limiter or a mana cost is a pretty serious balance issue. Pair this with any creature that can untap it and you have infinite power and infinite combats, though you'll often need at least one more creature. The intense cost and lack of haste and protection help, but this is a really good target for temporary animation, since you'll only need that one explosive turn.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This is fairly novel combination of existing effects. It certainly feels unique, especially with that mana cost.
(2/3) Flavor - Extra phases feel suitable for a Lord of Days. The card draw, not so much. Not really room for flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - This does appear to all be correct.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Indeed exactly 4 colors.
(1/2) Subchallenges - More than 4 color mana symbols in the cost, but is a creature.

Total: 19/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy find the ultimate cool, as they usually do, but the rest isn't too interesting. Johnny can appreciate needing to put in effort to make the -1 and ultimate shine, and the 0 is an alright blink engine if they need it. Spike isn't terribly sold on this, as it requires the opponent to have a some decent creatures or to have at least attacked with a lot of creatures for instant -1 value to be more than a slow blink engine.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Lots going on, but there's some nice partitioning; the abilities that don't cost loyalty can tap creatures, and the abilities that do cost loyalty require tapped creatures. I fact that you have to have a target to + is atypical design, however.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - First ability is blue (though red can do part of it), second ability is white or blue, third ability is black (though white can do the life gain), and the ultimate is the only effect I'd say requires two colors, red and blue. That is to say, you could get away without white at all. I will say this is definitely not green though. Mythic is appropriate.
(2.5/3) Balance - This honestly just feels too safe. It's best trick on its own is to come in and -1 after a big attack, and then sort of be annoying, or be a blink engine. It can do more with some support (Sleep is fun here.)

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - No existing planeswalker has such a high focus on tapping/tapped creatures, with Tamiyo, the Moon Sage coming closest.
(3/3) Flavor - You've done your research, this is all of her colors she has access to, and the abilities suit her manipulative nature nicely.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Name and mana cost combined is overly long.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Exactly 4 colors as required.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Noncreature, but only has 4 color mana symbols.

Total: 20.5/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Everyone likes what this does, though Timmy might not care for the life payment, especially with how high it needs to be to grab something big.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Only thing that feels disjoint is that you can blow up lands with it, but you can't then snag them with the activated ability.

Development
(2/3) Viability - I think you could exclude either green or white, and have this still be fine. BG or BW gets you the destruction, and blue just feels right for the providing the ability to cast instants and sorceries (and artifacts if paired with BG) Interestingly, I think you could make this cost BBRGG, and it'd still be alright colorwise (I tend to think of one shot 'draw a card' as a little bonus in this kind of scenario that doesn't need blue). So I must say it doesn't feel nonred. Mythic is totally warranted.
(2/3) Balance - It's powerful, and there's probably some silly combo you could do with this. And if those silly combos exist, it will definitely be worth reanimating, even if you don't get the ETB. The cost on the activated ability is nothing to sneeze at. Being able to repeatedly cast the same instant or sorcery could be an issue though; without graveyard hate this can certainly put in great work at protecting itself, especially with untaps and some incidental life gain (pairs beautifully with Absorb)

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Reminiscent of stuff like Yawgmoth's Will and Bolas' Citadel, but still unique in its own way.
(2/3) Flavor - Certainly interesting. It doesn't have the ticking down feel you'd expect of an hourglass, but it does sort of pull off what you might expect if you flipped over a doomsday hourglass.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - That name is definitely too long. Otherwise fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Exactly 4 colors.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both noncreature, and has more than 4 color mana symbols in cost.

Scores
Show
Hide
bravelion83 - 21.5 vs. MonoRedMage - 19
slimytrout 20.5 vs. void_nothing 20.5

Rithaniel

Judgments
Show
Hide
bravelion83 vs. MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
bravelion83
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Orb of Destruction BRGW
Artifact (M)
2BR: Destroy target creature. Orb of Destruction deals 2 damage to that creature's controller.
1RG: Destroy target artifact. Orb of Destruction deals 1 damage to that artifact's controller. You gain 1 life.
GW: Destroy target enchantment. You gain 2 life.
8, T, Exile Orb of Destruction: Destroy all nonland permanents.
"Often, to conquer a world all you have to do is destroy it."
—Ob Nixilis

Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy likes the card that makes things go boom. Johnny doesn't see any point in this, except maybe in it's value as a sink for arbitrary mana. Spike, meanwhile, sees an arbitrary removal engine.
(2.5/3) Elegance - So, you have a good symmetry between all the different abilities and their colors, but the last ability feels at-odds with the others. The card is doing pinpoint removal for creatures, artifacts, and enchantments, paired with life gain/loss, and then it also can do a full board wipe to hit creatures, artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers without life gain/loss. It's not a major issue, because it's all stuff in the same vein, but it doesn't perfectly mesh.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Mythic feels right, and I can see where the colors are providing the mechanical features of the card. But the real question is whether this convinces me it's a four-colored card. I think this one could have gotten away with being colorless with a four-color identity, instead of being four-colored itself. On the other hand, I feel as though this design could have been better as a planeswalker. It has four activated abilities, one of which serves as an "ultimate," after all.
(1.5/3) Balance - So, this card is really powerful. Any form of repeated removal is very good. Most cards that can destroy permanents and remain on the field afterwards can only do so once per turn, and usually require greater commitments than this artifact is asking. This card can destroy multiple permanents every turn as long as it stays on the field. It can single-handedly control your opponent's side of the field. You could argue that the casting cost is restrictive enough to balance it, but that cost wouldn't reliably stop this card from coming down on turn four or five. However, even if your opponent manages to somehow overcome the controlling power this artifact supplies, it comes with a failsafe. During the turns in which an opponent would have been slowed down by this artifact, you can build up to 8 mana, after which the player controlling the orb is pretty much impervious to attack, even if the other abilities end up not being enough.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Repeatable removal as an activated ability that isn't a tap ability or a loyalty ability and which doesn't require a sacrifice is definitely new. But, beyond that, this isn't really doing anything spectacularly unique. There have even been artifacts with four or more activated abilities.
(1.5/3) Flavor - This flavor seems like an afterthought. "Orb of Destruction" is a very generic idea for an artifact, and I don't see why Ob Nixilis would necessarily be involved with this orb. It does at least have flavor, though, and I suppose you could make an argument that the idea here is argue that this color combination is the color combination most likely to be destructive, but I'm not entirely swayed by that idea.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, it costs .
(1/2) Subchallenges - It is a noncreature permanent, but only costs .

Total: 18/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Galydus, Lord of Days RRRRGWU
Legendary Creature - Giant Warrior {M}
Other creatures you control have double strike and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card."
You have no maximum hand size.
T: Untap all other creatures you control. Those creatures get +1/+1 until end of turn. After this phase, you get an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. Activate only during combat on your turn.
7/7

Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - TIMMY LIKE! Johnny is gonna get unlimited attack steps by repeatedly untapping this guy. Spike is balking at the mana cost, but would probably pick it as a EDH commander.
(3/3) Elegance - Swing sideways, punch opponent, draw cards, untap creatures and do it again. It might seem as though this card has too many lines of text, but it's clear to see how all roads lead back to "PUNCH OPPONENT, DRAW CARD." As a result, it's super easy to understand. It's a big stompy giant comes for your opponent's rear-end to kick it and then draw a bunch of cards.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - It's does so many impressive things that it is unmistakably mythic. I can also see where the green, white, and blue come in, though some are more tenuous than others. The part that I'm most okay with is the quadruple red cost, and, if I'm considering whether or not this feels "appropriate" for a four color card, I think it convinces me, but only just barely. It is probably the most red-tinted take on this four color combo, though.
(1.5/3) Balance - So, at a converted mana cost of 7, all of which is specific colors, this is a late-game creature. However, considering that it is a late-game creature, I think it's too much of a "win more" card. I mean, when it comes down and gives your creatures double strike, that's the biggest impact it has as far as influencing the flow of the game goes. If you are connecting to your opponent's face with multiple double striking creatures over multiple attack steps each turn, you don't really need the card draw. Like, notice that even if all you have is a single 1/1 evasive token to attack with, that's six damage and four cards drawn. If you have two such tokens, that's twelve damage and eight cards drawn. At the point in the game where this creature hits the field, if you only have two 1/1 evasive tokens to capitalize with, you're behind the curve. With any considerable assortment of creatures to attack with, this giant is a simple game-ender. I can only really see most of these abilities being useful in multiplayer formats, where an opponent losing the game doesn't mean that the game is over. Also, I would be remiss to say that it doesn't at least have benefit.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Combining Ophidian with double-strike is new. Combining Ophidian with Relentless Assault is also new. None of the individual pieces are new, of course.
(3/3) Flavor - So, this card's mechanics are very evocative. They say "CHARGE." Then the name and the typeline together say "I am the immense warrior raising his sword to the horizon and yelling CHARGE." The colors and the title "Lord of Days" make me imagine this giant warrior with the sun rising behind him, huge and red and bright. This is what expressing flavor with mechanics looks like. You get full points on flavor, as far as I'm concerned.

Polish
(1/2) Subchallenges - It costs , but it's also a creature.

slimytrout vs. void_nothing
Show
Hide
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Dihada, Archmage of Domination WUBR
Legendary Planeswalker - Dihada (M)
+2: Until your next turn, target creature gets -2/-0 and attacks each combat if able.
0: Exile target creature. Return it to the battlefield tapped at the beginning of its owner's next turn.
-1: Each opponent loses life equal to the number of tapped creatures they control. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
-8: Gain control of all tapped creatures. Untap them and they gain haste.

Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy always enjoys a planeswalker, particularly one with four abilities. Johnny might try to maximize the usefulness of the -1 and -8 abilities by making sure lots of creatures are tapped. Spike only sees the +2 and -1 abilities, and thinks that the cost might be a bit prohibitive, but might be willing to try to get the card to work.
(1/3) Elegance - So, that second ability is an issue. If it returns the creature at the beginning of the turn, and the turn starts with the untap step, wouldn't it just immediately untap? I believe that's not the case, because you can't actually have triggered abilities go onto the stack until the untap step occurs, but it's been a long time since I've read the comprehensive rules, so that might be inaccurate. The issue is that it's not exactly clear how it works. This could easily confuse a new player. It would be much easier if it were just to return at the start of the owner's next upkeep step. Beyond that, the first two abilities seem redundant. However, you do have points in your favor in that this planeswalker has a clear "tapped creatures" theme to it.

Development
(3/3) Viability - So, planeswalkers are almost always mythic, so you're good on that front. Meanwhile, I can see where the colors come into play, with the first and last abilities being blue/red, the second ability being white, and the third ability being black. You also convince me that this is a good representation of the character Dihada and a valid four-color card. You are good on viability.
(2.5/3) Balance - So, when it comes to balance for a planeswalker, you have to consider the most likely abilities to be repeatedly used. Since planeswalkers can be attacked, it can often times be too complicated to evaluate when an ultimate would be likely to be used, if it ever would. The first three abilities are thus where we have to focus, and the most useful ability is the third one. It can act as an attack dissuader, as it makes each attacking creature into 1 life lost for the attacker. The value of the other two abilities are decent, but depend on the board state to really determine how good they are. The first ability makes most sense as a companion to the third. None of these three abilities are individually worth the restrictive mana cost, but I can see them working together to provide value. Also, if you add the ultimate back in to the calculations, I think this card starts having really good value as a mind-game inducer. So, all and all, I think this planeswalker ends up kinda weak, but still viable.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - First ability is Chemister's Trick. Second ability is just a blink with an unusual return time and the word "tapped" added on. The third ability is closest to Burden of Greed, but is ultimately new. The ultimate is the most unique (and natural) part of the card, in my opinion. The whole package, though, feels kinda tame, but it is doing new stuff.
(2.5/3) Flavor - So, oddly enough, planeswalkers are some of the most difficult cards to add flavor to, because all you generally have is a name, maybe with a title attached. You have to express your flavor through your mechanics and through other cards surrounding the planeswalker. (I say this is odd because planeswalkers are akin to flavor lynch-pins for MtG.) However, if you can express the flavor through the mechanics effectively, that's good. I think, for this card, you express effectively that Dihada is taking advantage of momentary weakness to control individuals. The first ability creates a weakness while the last two abilities take advantage of that weakness. The second ability, meanwhile, doesn't mesh very well with that flavor, so that's a point against it. You also take advantage of the character having other cards having been made for her, so she's an established corruptor and mind-controller.

Polish
(1/2) Subchallenges - It is a noncreature permanent, but only costs .

Total: 20/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Rakhongera, Accursed Hourglass GGWUBB
Legendary Artifact (M)
When Rakhongera enters the battlefield, if you cast it, destroy target permanent an opponent controls, then draw a card.
T, Pay X life, Exile a card from your hand: You may cast target nonland card with mana value X or less from a graveyard without paying its mana cost.
Its contents have been observed to shift as it focuses on the death of a hero, an event, or a world.

Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy thinks this card is cool, but doesn't like having to play life or give up cards for the main benefit. Johnny sees this as the mother of all enablers. Spike thinks this card is probably too expensive to run, but likes the power it could potentially provide.
(2.5/3) Elegance - This card is very simple. It destroys a permanent and draws a card on ETB, and then uses a tap ability and a card from your hand to cast a card from a graveyard. The symmetry between these abilities makes the whole thing very elegant. One issue that I can see is that this could lead to ambiguity, where you target an instant with flashback in a graveyard. However, I feel that this is a minor issue, since it is fairly easy to resolve, even though it is difficult to understand on the first read-through.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - So, the way I see this is that black/green brings the any-permanent destruction, the card draw, and the creature reanimation, while white/blue brings the noncreature reanimation. So, I can see where the colors are coming from. I can also see the heavier lean on black/green from that, too. I'm unsure, however, if it sells me on it being a four-color card. I could see it working in fewer colors, but the effect is unique enough that stretching it to more colors could be justified. The effects are impactful enough to warrant mythic, of course.
(2.5/3) Balance - So, this is a difficult card to cast, but, once its on the battlefield, it generates a ton of value. The issue I would say is that the value does come at a cost, but 5 life and a land card from your hand in exchange for a cmc 5 card being recast from a graveyard is pretty cheap. I think the overall cost keeps the card tame, particularly because of how restrictive that cost is. In fact, I think it would keep it too tame, with just that that cost and that ability. However, with the added benefit gained when it enters the battlefield, I feel as though it ends up in an acceptable place. I still feel as though it ends up just a smidge too weak, because that cost is extremely prohibitive and the benefit it gives is a slow, if very solid, source of advantage.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - The main draw of the card (the tap ability) is a very unique ability. Nothing allows recasting cards from the graveyard in quite this way, from what I can find. Even if the rest of the card is a little generic, that ability being as fresh as it is gives the design full points on uniqueness, in my opinion.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Very cool flavor. I imagine the sand inside the hourglass morphing into vistas of places from the past as it drains. The only issue that I would point out is that it isn't really cursed. Like, it only has upsides.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems good
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, it is a permanent, not a creature, and costs .

Total: 22/25
Results
Show
Hide

First Pair:
  • MonoRedMage - 20.5
  • bravelion83 - 18
Second Pair:
  • void_nothing - 22
  • slimytrout - 20
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”