The Community Deck Build Project v5.0b

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

For my pick, I nominate Spider Spawning. Kinda obvious, but is it not what we came to do?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Easy yes to spawning.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I'd like to see more conversation on concoction (which I love, but this kind of thing is kind of my bag baby, so I'm bias) before issuing a confirmation as it might not be a slam dunk.
For my additional thoughts on Sinister Concoction, let's break the card down. First, the mana value is only , so I feel it is easy to 'splash'. It can be cast easily in early and late game. It is also not going to be missed if thrown into the yard, either by mill or discard. Basically a card you aren't going to miss but it has utility at any point in the game.

The ability cost kind of looks like a lot because you need mana, life, something to discard and mill a card. but as aliciaofthevast already said, we want to do all those things. Mana is only again, so nothing. 1 life, also nothing. Mill a card, that is a bonus for us. Discard can be tricky if we are low on cards in hand BUT we have access to black draw spells, so we shouldn't be low on cards in hand often. The discard is also useful with any reanimation effects.

The effect, that's just a bonus in my opinion, and we can destroy our own creatures to maximize delirium, even better if the creature has a death trigger, like Solemn Simulacrum for example.

Plus for people who don't know it, its just 1 mana enchantment that needs a lot to active and so not a threat, for us its a delirium engine.

So overall, I don't see why not include it. Good game scenario would be, turn one Concoction, turn 2 discard a big creature, kill enemy mana dork, cast Reanimate. You get the idea.
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
There's a review process at the end. I think I pretty well covered the bases we need to be able to fire on, but I'm nothing if not flexible (until you see me continually pitch Arcum's Astrolabe into these things).
All right, I'll gather my notes about lands for later.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
For my pick, I nominate Spider Spawning. Kinda obvious, but is it not what we came to do?
Yes from me. With enough self mill we shouldn't struggle to have decent number of creatures in the yard.
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Fair warning, I suspect I'm going to be away from the computer at least tomorrow, maybe more as I'm moving stuff into my new apartment. Which should be fine as there's lots of conversation to be had.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Yay to Sinister Concoction and Spider Spawning.

For my pick, I'm going with Nyx Weaver. It fills the graveyard, can act as a Regrowth, fuels Delirium by having two card types, and most importantly, is a spider. I really want some spiders to be part of this gameplan, but most of them are bad. I still want the good ones though.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Yes Nyx Weaver for all reasons mentioned.
Spider Spawning should be good assuming we have enough creatures.
Sinister Concoction is not great. It's a 2 for 1 against yourself. It gives the same number of card types as a basic kill spell.
The upside is that if we have a bunch of dredge this helps us discard it.

So... yes on concoction assuming we have cards we want to discard.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
For my pick, I'm going with Nyx Weaver. It fills the graveyard, can act as a Regrowth, fuels Delirium by having two card types, and most importantly, is a spider. I really want some spiders to be part of this gameplan, but most of them are bad. I still want the good ones though.
Yes from me on Weaver. Don't think it needs more elaboration, ticks all the boxes.
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Sinister Concoction is not great. It's a 2 for 1 against yourself.
Can you please elaborate on that? I just think looking at it only from the perspective of discarding a card is narrow. As I mentioned in my post, the ceiling is higher than that, in my opinion. At minimum, you can target your own creatures, so when we are on a turn before wanting to cast Ishkanah and don't have delirium yet, you can use Concoction to kill a creature, discard an artifact, land, instant or sorcery, send Concoction to the yard, and mill something. So pretty good chance to having delirium if you've already cast/mill something.

And it only scales up from there. Beside Dredge, we can be looking at spells with Flashback (or other ability to cast them from the yard) and targeting creatures that want to die. Heck, even card with Madness. I kind of wouldn't see it as a kill spell at all, but a Delirium engine.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Dunharrow

Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 year ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Yes from me on Weaver. Don't think it needs more elaboration, ticks all the boxes.
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Sinister Concoction is not great. It's a 2 for 1 against yourself.
Can you please elaborate on that? I just think looking at it only from the perspective of discarding a card is narrow. As I mentioned in my post, the ceiling is higher than that, in my opinion. At minimum, you can target your own creatures, so when we are on a turn before wanting to cast Ishkanah and don't have delirium yet, you can use Concoction to kill a creature, discard an artifact, land, instant or sorcery, send Concoction to the yard, and mill something. So pretty good chance to having delirium if you've already cast/mill something.

And it only scales up from there. Beside Dredge, we can be looking at spells with Flashback (or other ability to cast them from the yard) and targeting creatures that want to die. Heck, even card with Madness. I kind of wouldn't see it as a kill spell at all, but a Delirium engine.
I just mean that you are spending 2 cards to kill 1 card. I understand that it can enable delirium, but it is still a 2 for 1. If you start killing your own creature with it it is a 3 for 1.

In this deck, it is clearly better than it would usually be, but I think it is worth mentioning that it is a bad card made a bit better, not a good card that is amazing in this deck.

In any case, I voted for it.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
a bad card made a bit better, not a good card that is amazing in this deck.
Ah, fair enough, we can agree on this.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

toctheyounger

I'll +1 weaver and concoction as needed. I think for both if they have a home it's in delirium.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

Nyx Weaver and Spider Spawning don't feel like they need much additional elaboration. I approve of both.

Just wanted to also clarify, if it's in any doubt, that I said yes to Sinister Concoction precisely because it's a terrible card that becomes tolerable-to-good in this deck. I love finding niche homes for cards that are borderline unplayable elsewhere, and that's exactly what Sinister Concoction has going here. It's still not particularly efficient removal; the costs just become acceptable because we want cards in our graveyard.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
I love finding niche homes for cards that are borderline unplayable elsewhere..."
BIG AGREE

But seriously, that's a big part of Commander's appeal for me, even in this age of relentless optimization and product fatigue.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks

Looks like we're al in agreement on Nyx Weaver, Spider Spawning, and Sinister Concoction, and the concoction really makes me happy. So those are confirms.

For today, let's put @Dunharrow and @Jemolk on the clock.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

All decks need graveyard hate; even graveyard decks. And what's better than filling necessary functions with synergistic cards? I nominate Curse of Clinging Webs. It makes spiders. It hates on an opponent's graveyard. It leaves ours completely alone. Sure, instant speed would be an improvement, but this should still be pretty darn good for our purposes.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
All decks need graveyard hate; even graveyard decks. And what's better than filling necessary functions with synergistic cards? I nominate Curse of Clinging Webs. It makes spiders. It hates on an opponent's graveyard. It leaves ours completely alone. Sure, instant speed would be an improvement, but this should still be pretty darn good for our purposes.
I agree on having graveyard hate. I can get behind the Curse as it fits the theme, and people will want to destroy it, so that's another enchantment for Delirium, though at some stage we should also add something that hits opponent's whole yard.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Yay to Curse of Clinging Webs. It does the things.

As for the larger topic of graveyard hate, this deck will have access to Bojuka Bog, and I imagine we'll squeeze some others in along the way.

toctheyounger

Yeah I'll get in on the curse too, that's pretty decent and ticks all of our boxes.

3drinks

I'm not sure I'd call on board hate true hate given it can be played around well enough but I do like that the card does what we want to do anyway so I'll yay that.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

That curse is cool, never heard of it. Yay.

Disclaimer for 3Drinks, I will never be on the boards during the weekend. I don't even open my computer on the weekend.

My nomination is Grave Pact. I can't imagine us playing grindy midrange without it.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Grave Pact seems rather strong with the spider-ristocrats plan that everyone else is pushing towards. I'll yea that one. Definitely a painful card for our opponents. I do want to note, though, that Grave Pact, and its counterpart Dictate of Erebos, will make us the problem in the eyes of some of our opponents, just because of how they make it near-impossible to keep creatures on the table, and that threat level increase is something to keep an eye on.

toctheyounger

I'm not massively convinced with pact. It's the sort of card you do really need a significant architecture of sacrifice (name of my death metal album, calling it now) in place to really leverage well. That could well be the case down the line but as of right now all we have is Steve and concoction. The spiders themselves are vanilla af, and realistically is we want to make use of our commanders last ability to it's utmost we want our critters in play.

That said I can get behind pact as a 'dont swing at me because I will chump block and wreck your board', but again if that's the best were getting from pact I don't know that it's the best fit.

I'd l I'll l Ike to see more back and forth on the whither tos and why fors, but for know I think I'm on nay.

Dunharrow

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
I'm not massively convinced with pact. It's the sort of card you do really need a significant architecture of sacrifice (name of my death metal album, calling it now) in place to really leverage well. That could well be the case down the line but as of right now all we have is Steve and concoction. The spiders themselves are vanilla af, and realistically is we want to make use of our commanders last ability to it's utmost we want our critters in play.

That said I can get behind pact as a 'dont swing at me because I will chump block and wreck your board', but again if that's the best were getting from pact I don't know that it's the best fit.

I'd l I'll l Ike to see more back and forth on the whither tos and why fors, but for know I think I'm on nay.
I guess part of how I see this deck working involves sacrifice loops with our commander to make more tokens.
But we haven't built that in yet so I get your POV.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
As for the larger topic of graveyard hate, this deck will have access to Bojuka Bog, and I imagine we'll squeeze some others in along the way.
Good shout, and it is already on the lands list, so 3drinks thought of it ahead I see.
Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
I do want to note, though, that Grave Pact, and its counterpart Dictate of Erebos, will make us the problem in the eyes of some of our opponents, just because of how they make it near-impossible to keep creatures on the table, and that threat level increase is something to keep an eye on.
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
I agree with being cautious about high threat cards like the Pact, in my eyes it makes anyone running a priority to eliminate (unless someone else is near winning) because I will expect them to play more cards like that. Which for me raises the question of what are we doing with it? Soft lock to try grind the game out, or a part of wincon loop? The first option doesn't sit with me as a deck builder simply because I am not fan of stax games, but the second I'd be happy to work it, we need cards to end the game. I just don't want it to be like a situation of overloading Rift and having no win follow up :rofl:
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I guess part of how I see this deck working involves sacrifice loops with our commander to make more tokens.
Which bring me onto this point... maybe the difficulty suggesting cards like the Pact is not being able to suggest more than one card, and this feels like one of those where we should be considering a number of cards interacting together than just one. I am not sure how this was overcome in the past build threads?

For now I am okay to say yes to the Pact, but maybe we should evaluate how it fits in later?
Faith Requires Sacrifice

toctheyounger

Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 year ago
Which bring me onto this point... maybe the difficulty suggesting cards like the Pact is not being able to suggest more than one card, and this feels like one of those where we should be considering a number of cards interacting together than just one. I am not sure how this was overcome in the past build threads?
Yeah pretty much this. Pact feels like it's just a little further downstream than we should be looking currently. We can do some sac things, but I think we bake those in first and see if the synergy goes deep enough before we commit to a piece that heavy into attrition mechanics.
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I hadn't really thought of that before now, but it probably is one of the better ways to get our arachnid count up to a reasonable level, and it saves us having to run objectively bad spiders. I can get behind that if we've got the depth of reanimation to make it work.

I'll just say for now I'm on the fence; if Pact gets close enough to get into the list I'll nudge it over the line with a yea.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I'm fine with tabling Pact for now, too. Is there anything else up for discussion rn?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”