Locked Previous topicNext topic
slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

CCL December Signups/Round 2

"Boon Companion"

"Image"
Flaming Fist Duskguard, by Matt Forsyth and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Digital Magic Month here at the CCL. I know this will be a bit of a controversial topic, since not everyone approves of cards that don't function in tabletop magic, but I also know that there's a lot of open design space yet to be explored in the digital-only realm, so I think it will be a fun chance to push the boundaries of what Magic can do.

Challenge
Design a rare or mythic rare card that creates a boon.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • A boon is (effectively) a delayed triggered ability. You can think of it as being something like the effect on Soulfire Grand Master, except that it doesn't need the phrase "this turn" because the computer will remember the trigger for you.
  • The card can create the boon for you, or an opponent, or both.
  • Remember to include rarity!
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Friday, December 16th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (December 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (December 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due December 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (December 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due December 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (December 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due December 30th)
  • Final (January, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Leonin Swordsmith 1w
Creature - Cat Artificer (Mythic)
3, T: You get a boon with "The next time a creature enters the battlefield under you control, draft a card from the "Sword of X and Y" cycle, then equip that sword to it."
2/2

Subject16
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Serra Archangel 2WWW
Creature — Angel (M)
Flying, Vigilance
When Serra Archangel enters the battlefield, you get a boon with "You may cast a non-Angel creature spell from your graveyard. When you do, you gain life equal to its mana value, and it perpetually becomes an Angel in addition to its other types."
5/5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Shadowmage Trainer UB
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
Whenever Shadowmage Trainer deals combat damage to a player, you get a boon with "When you cast your next creature spell, it perpetually gains menace and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.""
2/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Rite of Triple Piercing RRR
Sorcery {M}
Rite of Triple Piercing deals 2 damage to any target, 2 damage to another target, and 2 damage to a third target.
You get a boon with "When you cast your next creature spell, it perpetually gains haste. It gets +2/+2 if it has double strike, gains double strike if it has first strike, and gains first strike if it has neither double strike nor first strike."

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Night's Unwrapping
Sorcery (Rare)
You get a boon with "Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, reveal the top card of your library. Put it into your hand unless an opponent sacrifices a permanent."
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

Cataloging Sticher
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
: Exile target creature card from your graveyard. You get a boon with "After casting X spells, investigate X times.", where X is that card's mana value.
While no one will ever admit this, anatomy notes made by stichers are valued by even the most pious inquisitors.
0/2

slimytrout

Keeping this open for another 24 hours

slimytrout

Doesn't seem like we're getting another entry here, so I'll close the round. Please critique each other entry and organize them into a top 3.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Top 3 for now:
3rd: MonoRedMage
2nd: Subject16
1st: Lord Asborn Schutta
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

slimytrout

Bumping this!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
netn10 - I love the Sword cycle as much as anybody, but the wording of this card seems to peel back the fourth wall a little bit too much. Oracle of the Alpha was one thing, but this just sounds kind of odd to write out. Name could also maybe use punching up? Mechanically, however, a nice idea - sort of like a fixed Stoneforge Mystic for the Arena age.

Subject16 - Neat way of accomplishing a pretty well-explored effect (recursion). Pretty much a pushed, bomb mythic that would have fun play patterns. No real issues, but also not the most innovative card.

MonoRedMage - The "triple" theme does come through in this card, and I suppose 6 damage that you're required to divide in a specific way wouldn't be too OP for RRR, but that boon is quite wordy and I think it would confuse people about exactly what it did for different creature spells.

marioguy3 - The point of boons is basically to have a memory aid for a one-off effect that can take place at any time. This is just not that - it's an enchantment that's basically impossible to deal with. Do not like this design as a boon at all.

Lorn Asbord Schutta - I love the flavor here - really casts some light on what stitchers are doing other than just raising skaabs all day - and this looks like a fun play pattern, even though I'm not sure how abuseable all that card draw potential would be. Very nice overall!
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Lorn Asbord Schutta
2. netn10
3. Subject16
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

At noon ET tomorrow I'm going to cut to a T4 regardless of number of critiques, so get them in if you can.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

1. Subject16
2. void_nothing
3. MonoRedMage

slimytrout

Ok, round is closed and the top 4 are:

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Subject16