Lets Try Runadi

Gamazson
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gamazson » 1 year ago

I have been having a real blast with my Gilanra, Caller of Wirewood & Kodama of the East Tree tree. That deck simply pukes big green creatures onto the board. It is very gratifying for me and very scary for my opponents. Unfortunately, due to summoning sickness, my opponents have an entire turn to respond to whatever scares them the most. A lack of haste is very much that decks Achilles heel.

Naturally when Runadi, Behemoth Caller was spoiled, I snapped up a pre-order. It was pretty obvious he would be helpful to that deck, but I didn't really spare it much extra thought. Now that I have the card physically in front of me, I see it's potential as a commander. Runadi is much more low-key that Gilanra & Kodama. It won't generate the same denigrate board state. I'll be putting less threats into play per turn, but those threats will be able to act the turn I play them, which I think will make a big difference.

The deck does not need to change much. I'm sure there will be builds that double down on +1/+1 counters and hydra's, but for the most part I think Runadi may prefer 'simpler' creatures with large CMC's. I added a few things that care about counters like The Ozolith and Hardened Scales, but those are mostly there to help push a few CMC 6 creatures so that they too can enjoy haste.

For example, Old Gnawbone is great, but Old Gnawbone with +3/+3 and haste is better.

A notable creature I wouldn't otherwise play is Cultivator of Blades. With Runadi on the field it enters with 3 counters, making it a hasty Overrun without the trample.

There is also a case to be made for Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider and Kalonian Hydra but I don't have those on hand right now.

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”