30+ Creature Type Changeling Tribal

Tribbles
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Tribbles » 1 year ago

SNC hasn't really given us anything new to play with from what I've seen so far, sadly. However, this card just got revealed. Has some nice flavour, and synergy with Magda!
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mari, the Killing Quill
Legendary Creature - Vampire Assassin // // 3/2

Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, exile it with a hit counter on it.

Assassins, Mercenaries, and Rogues you control have deathtouch and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may remove a hit counter from a card that player owns in exile. If you do, draw a card and creature two Treasure tokens."
Deathtouch is an always welcome keyword, and could draw, ramp, and help proc a Magda ability. Seems nice!

Price might be high because it's an auto-include in Etrata...
Error 404: Signature Not Found

Tags:

offspring

Post by offspring » 1 year ago

Tribbles wrote:
1 year ago
SNC hasn't really given us anything new to play with from what I've seen so far, sadly. However, this card just got revealed. Has some nice flavour, and synergy with Magda!
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mari, the Killing Quill
Legendary Creature - Vampire Assassin // // 3/2

Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, exile it with a hit counter on it.

Assassins, Mercenaries, and Rogues you control have deathtouch and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may remove a hit counter from a card that player owns in exile. If you do, draw a card and creature two Treasure tokens."
Deathtouch is an always welcome keyword, and could draw, ramp, and help proc a Magda ability. Seems nice!

Price might be high because it's an auto-include in Etrata...
Yes, I was here to mention this card. Definitely going to give this a shot. Might bring back Ayula, Queen Among Bears as well, since fighting and deathtouch work well together. Dragon Tempest will be better because of this as well. It's sort-of card advantage, and it has wackky creature types in it's text... I really like it.

Tribbles

offspring wrote:
1 year ago
Yes, I was here to mention this card. Definitely going to give this a shot. Might bring back Ayula, Queen Among Bears as well, since fighting and deathtouch work well together. Dragon Tempest will be better because of this as well. It's sort-of card advantage, and it has wackky creature types in it's text... I really like it.
Definitely! I do love the Mercenary addition, as you said. The time for Strongarm Thug and Cateran Enforcer is now.

EDIT: OH MY GOD

Giada, Font of Hope. Bonkers Angel Bear and ramp card for 2CMC? This card is actually insane!!!

offspring

Tribbles wrote:
1 year ago

EDIT: OH MY GOD

Giada, Font of Hope. Bonkers Angel Bear and ramp card for 2CMC? This card is actually insane!!!
I'm actually on the fence on this one. I really want to like it, but only white for only changelings? That isn't the mana fix I'm looking for I'm afraid.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

I don't think that Giada, Font of Hope is strong enough. I like the cards that ramp for more than two mana because it helps me get to The Ur-Dragon.

Mari, the Killing Quill just for the creature exile clause. Patron of the Vein is still in my list because the exile clause wrecks some decks.

I haven't gotten a game in with this list in months unfortunately so I don't have a lot to add.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Double post... my only changes from the past two sets are some manabase changes. Boseiju, Who Endures for Unclaimed Territory. This deck already relies really hard on Masked Vandal, having another disenchant as a land was too strong for me to pass up. Adding Zagoth Triome over Ally Encampment because I literally never used Ally camps second mode. I also added Verdant Catacombs over Forbidden Orchard because keep track of spirit tokens was a pen.

offspring

I added Mari, the Killing Quill and Evelyn, the Covetous from SNC, removing Seahunter and Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca. Both seem really fun and I don't expect to see them a lot in other lists, where Seahunter and Kumena are quite present in merfolk lists obviously. Mari seems so, so good: the graveyard hate is nothing to sneeze at, the fact our tiny changelings gain deathtouch makes them hard to block and hard to attack into, and the couple of cards that let our changelings fight or deal damage (Ayula, Queen Among Bears, Contested Cliffs, Dragon Tempest, and for some others Scourge of Valkas - and there might be more, this is off the top of my head - improve significantly as well).

I also took out a forest to add Ayula, Queen Among Bears again. I'm really lacking spot removal, and my curve has dropped a LOT over time - my guess is my mana base can handle one less land (still playing 36, so I should be fine).

If I find the time, I'll post an updated decklist.

One last note, on a card that has only been mentioned in the first post: I kinda overlooked Mass Appeal so wanted to point out it exists. I run Airborne Aid and Distant Melody myself, but probably should be running Mass Appeal over the first.

offspring

Double posting, but there have been some Spicy Spoilers from Baldur's Battle.

Volo, Itinerant Scholar does something with creature types we haven't seen before and I fully intend to give him a try. At three mana, he fits nicely in my curve and two mana instant speed draw two is already fine. It should be no problem whatsoever to let him get out of hand.

Captain N'ghathrod is a bit heavy on MV, but the horror tribal feels cute. He also lets us do something we didn't do a lot up to now: stealing other people's stuff. The menace is probably quite relevant as well, as long as you rely on getting changelings through for damage Seafloor Oracle, Tovolar, Dire Overlord // Tovolar, the Midnight Scourge, Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator)

Ganax, Astral Hunter is cute, but might be too expensive for what he does. Creating free mana with Universal Automaton and Hibernation Sliver however is pretty cool.

Renari. Merchant of Marvels is a bit similar. He's a bit expensive, but giving all our changelings flash might be worthwile. If nothing else, it's going to be a budget replacement for Cryptic Gateway. I don't think it's better, but it's kinda close. Flashing in The Ur-Dragon is gross.

materpillar
the caterpillar

offspring wrote:
1 year ago
Double posting, but there have been some Spicy Spoilers from Baldur's Battle.

Volo, Itinerant Scholar does something with creature types we haven't seen before and I fully intend to give him a try. At three mana, he fits nicely in my curve and two mana instant speed draw two is already fine. It should be no problem whatsoever to let him get out of hand.
He feels really feast or famine and like a removal magnet too much to me. On the other hand, naming completely random creature types for every changeling is hilarious.
offspring wrote:
1 year ago
Captain N'ghathrod is a bit heavy on MV, but the horror tribal feels cute. He also lets us do something we didn't do a lot up to now: stealing other people's stuff. The menace is probably quite relevant as well, as long as you rely on getting changelings through for damage Seafloor Oracle, Tovolar, Dire Overlord // Tovolar, the Midnight Scourge, Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator)
I didn't even see him. He's pretty neat. I don't run enough large changelings for him to hit consistently though. Definitely good for the saboteur version of the deck.
offspring wrote:
1 year ago
Ganax, Astral Hunter is cute, but might be too expensive for what he does. Creating free mana with Universal Automaton and Hibernation Sliver however is pretty cool.
I can see him for people who want to go deep on the combo side of things. Someone here loves Merrow Reejerey specifically because it makes a mana per changeling. This seems significantly stronger and only costs 1 mana more if you're running The Ur-Dragon.
offspring wrote:
1 year ago
Renari. Merchant of Marvels is a bit similar. He's a bit expensive, but giving all our changelings flash might be worthwile. If nothing else, it's going to be a budget replacement for Cryptic Gateway. I don't think it's better, but it's kinda close. Flashing in The Ur-Dragon is gross.
I highly doubt he'll be worthwhile. I usually use Cryptic Gateway for non-changeling creatures as a mana discount and for uncounterability in addition to flash.

Carnelian orb of Dragonkind is another The Ur-Dragon haste enabler while being on theme
Lapis Orb of Dragonkind seems decent for those aggressively sticking to mana-rocks needing to be on theme like me. If it tapped for any color I think it might be better than Dragon's Hoard.

Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes is a consideration for the sacrifice focused side of things. It's removal and card draw or a large hamster creature. It makes me consider Taurean Mauler.

Also, Kindred Discovery reprint, hopefully that price will crash some.

Tribbles

I've not been too hyped about new cards for our lists this set ...until I saw this.

Black Market Connections
Enchantment - 2B
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, choose one or more -
- Create a Treasure token. You lose 1 life.
- Draw a card. You lose 2 life.
- Create a 3/2 colorless Shapeshifter creature token with changeling. You lose 3 life.
This is nuts, right? Powers up Magda's effect, provides mana and draw, and extra changelings?! Also searchable with something like Coveted Prize. Definitely requires some incidental and intentional lifegain - maybe with Crossway Troublemakers - but boy oh boy.

narglfrob

Post by narglfrob » 1 year ago

I can see [Ganax] for people who want to go deep on the combo side of things. Someone here loves Merrow Reejerey specifically because it makes a mana per changeling. This seems significantly stronger and only costs 1 mana more if you're running The Ur-Dragon.
That's me! Yes Ganax, Astral Hunter is much better than Merrow Reejerey and will be replacing it (actually I hadn't been running Reejerey for awhile). Creates immediate value, works with all the Necroduality type cards, makes Magda better.... damn I'm in love!

Love all three of the orb's, all have relevant effects.

Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm seems really fun, and a nice compliment to the other Panharmonicon cards I run.

Haven't seen anyone mention this one yet, Scaled Nurturer!!! We got our first 1 mana dork! :danceparty: (well second behind Joraga Treespeaker I suppose, that but doesn't make mana on the second turn). Instant staple in my deck.

Sefir

Post by Sefir » 1 year ago

narglfrob wrote:
1 year ago
I can see [Ganax] for people who want to go deep on the combo side of things. Someone here loves Merrow Reejerey specifically because it makes a mana per changeling. This seems significantly stronger and only costs 1 mana more if you're running The Ur-Dragon.
That's me! Yes Ganax, Astral Hunter is much better than Merrow Reejerey and will be replacing it (actually I hadn't been running Reejerey for awhile). Creates immediate value, works with all the Necroduality type cards, makes Magda better.... damn I'm in love!
I also run Merrow Reejery and I am still not that sold of Ganax. The Dragon costs 1 more, cannot be tutored by Seahunter, cannot be cloned by things like Reflections of Littjara since he is a legend (You haven't lived until you have seen the power of multiple Merrow Reejeries in play), and finally there are shenanigans that the untapping from Merrow Reejery is far superior to the treasure created, like untapping a Gaea's Cradle or, more importantly, a Pyre of Heroes. Perhaps the best choice is running them both since, while they serve a somewhat similar role, they claim different space in the mana curve.

narglfrob wrote:
1 year ago
Haven't seen anyone mention this one yet, Scaled Nurturer!!! We got our first 1 mana dork! :danceparty: (well second behind Joraga Treespeaker I suppose, that but doesn't make mana on the second turn). Instant staple in my deck.
Technically third, there is always Gnarlroot Trapper (and no one considers Heritage Druid a 1CMC mana dork), but Nurturer is by far the best and more playable option. Probably best card from the set for this deck imho, an auto include to any of its variations.

EDIT: No love for Nalia de'Arnise? She is another Realmwalker effect in 3CMC with extra spice.
Zedruu the Greathearted 4-Card Combos Puzzlebox
Gluntch, the Bestower Controlled Hug
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis Saclands
Teneb, the Harvester AntiBlack Pestilence
Dakkon Blackblade Control
Riku of Two Reflections Dragon's Approach
Phelddagrif Hippo Factory Lifegain
Damia, Sage of Stone Casual Food Chain
Minsc, Beloved Ranger Win(nie)s
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis Dredge/Reanimator
Hans Eriksson Smash

materpillar
the caterpillar

Welp, that's some action.

Robe of the Archmagi - Might be worth a slot for any combat damage oriented builds. This could draw a fair amount of cards.
Harper Recruiter - Probably not worth it, but it can have multiple hits per turn
Seasoned Dungeoneer - Congratulations you now have an unblockable Changeling with upside.
Captain N'ghathrod - Pretty good with unblockable Changelings
Stick Together - This is going to feel terrible when your opponent has some party members, but a consideration for another wrath
Black Market Connections - Boringly obvious auto-include
Endless Evil - Probably not worth it but this is cute
Grell Philospher - This card seems really strong. It's like a Manaweft Sliver with upside for 1 more mana
Psionic Ritual - I want to play this because twincasting spells is hella fun. I think it's probably worth? Meta-dependent I suppose.
Solemn Doomguide - Probably too expensive but recursion is good.
Multiclass Baldric - Lifelink, deathtouch, haste and flying on any creature? Seeeeeems good.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Made some changes

RealmwalkerBlack Market Connections Never really played anything off the top with this, Maybe not a strict upgrade in terms of spiking power but adds more resiliency to the deck
Manaweft SliverGrell Philospher A downgrade, but it cuts my max sliver count from 4 → 3 which pleases me. Note, Vedalken Aethermage can tutor for this
Dragon's HoardPsionic Ritual I think the deck has enough ramp sources now, this is one of the better ones but this allows me to cut my dragon count from 4 → 3. I think being able to cast and copy this 2 times will result in some crazy good value.

offspring

narglfrob wrote:
1 year ago
I love this! Going to look for a slot, though I'm not sure it'll make the cut after testing. Producing only is a bit of a downside. Also, in my list, I do count Birchlore Rangers as a one mana dork. It's been amazing for me both in ramping and fixing.

Other than this, I added Captain N'ghathrod, Volo, Itinerant Scholar and Grell Philospher, cutting Wood Elves (which was the last really non-tribal card, yay!), Gilt-Leaf Archdruid (Finally - it was good, but I always felt bad for the wincon on it) and Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign (bummer, I really liked him, but six mana is a lot these days).

Sefir

Scaled Nurturer is a must for everyone here no matter what build we are on. I also added Volo, Itinerant Scholar, Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes and Black Market Connections, reaching a wompy 51 creatures total in the deck. Still works great though.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

offspring

Sefir wrote:
1 year ago
Scaled Nurturer is a must for everyone here no matter what build we are on. I also added Volo, Itinerant Scholar, Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes and Black Market Connections, reaching a wompy 51 creatures total in the deck. Still works great though.
Would you run Scaled Nurturer over either of these?
Birchlore Rangers
Gemhide Sliver
Harabaz Druid
Heronblade Elite
Katilda, Dawnhart Prime
Magda, Brazen Outlaw
Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator
Manaweft Sliver
Risen Reef
Grell Philospher
Dragon's Hoard
?

Because these are my ramp/fix slots and I doubt it would better than any of them, and if I had to remove one I'd probably pick Malcolm. Must admit I value fixing quite highly.

Sefir

offspring wrote:
1 year ago
Birchlore Rangers
Gemhide Sliver
Harabaz Druid
Heronblade Elite
Katilda, Dawnhart Prime
Magda, Brazen Outlaw
Manaweft Sliver
Risen Reef
Grell Philospher
Dragon's Hoard
?
Because these are my ramp/fix slots and I doubt it would better than any of them, and if I had to remove one I'd probably pick Malcolm. Must admit I value fixing quite highly.
Over Heronblade, Malcolm, Grell or Dragon's Hoard? Any time. (you should also run Priest of Titania in there). We are talking about a t1 ramp vs t3-4 ramps. There is no contest.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

offspring

Sefir wrote:
1 year ago
offspring wrote:
1 year ago
Birchlore Rangers
Gemhide Sliver
Harabaz Druid
Heronblade Elite
Katilda, Dawnhart Prime
Magda, Brazen Outlaw
Manaweft Sliver
Risen Reef
Grell Philospher
Dragon's Hoard
?
Over Heronblade, Malcolm, Grell or Dragon's Hoard? Any time. (you should also run Priest of Titania in there). We are talking about a t1 ramp vs t3-4 ramps. There is no contest.
Well, technically, if any of these are T4, then Nurturer is T2 ramp (none of them cost 4). And Malcolm, Grell and Dragon's Hoard enable ramp (in the first two cases possibly more than one mana) on T3 when they enter. Which might leave Heronblade, if I would want to value speed over fix. Maybe even because she'll need etb triggers of changelings after entering herself as well to be worth her 3MV. I'm going to have to reconsider (ánd reconsider Priest, which I don't run for the same reason: she doesn't fix).

materpillar
the caterpillar

My three dragon slots are Spit Flame, Dragon Tempest, and Silumgar, the Drifting Death. I don't know that Scaled Nurturer is better than those. Definitely not Dragon Tempest because that's one of the best cards in the deck. Spit Flame locks people off of annoying utility commanders early game. It's one of the best on theme removal spells. Maybe Silumgar, the Drifting Death? Hexproof repeatable removal stick is real good.

Played a game last week. Got to use Peer Pressure to steal Morophon, the Boundless and Yarok, the Desecrated. Then, I got targetted by Emrakul, the Promised End before I could untap. I'd highly highly recommend against getting targetted by Emrakul, the Promised End.

Sefir

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
My three dragon slots are Spit Flame, Dragon Tempest, and Silumgar, the Drifting Death. I don't know that Scaled Nurturer is better than those. Definitely not Dragon Tempest because that's one of the best cards in the deck. Spit Flame locks people off of annoying utility commanders early game. It's one of the best on theme removal spells. Maybe Silumgar, the Drifting Death? Hexproof repeatable removal stick is real good.
I still consider Nurturer a must. Silumgar, amazing though he is, he is not irreplaceable. If I were you, I would replace him the non-dragon, similar power/superior version of tribal mass removal. Aka Toxril. I personally run all these, but I do not use the "every tribal card added must add to the total number of tribes" thing.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

offspring

Sefir wrote:
1 year ago
materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
I still consider Nurturer a must. Silumgar, amazing though he is, he is not irreplaceable. If I were you, I would replace him the non-dragon, similar power/superior version of tribal mass removal. Aka Toxril. I personally run all these, but I do not use the "every tribal card added must add to the total number of tribes" thing.
I run neither Toxril (whom I believe to be coincidentally tribal and too stupidly powerful for my taste in this deck - I fully realize this is on me) nor Silumgar, because both have too high of a mana value for me. With cutting Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign, the only card with an MV of 6 or more is Morophon, the Boundless which is likely to be never cut from the 99. Actually, I don't run any boardwipes anymore in this list, because I've come to realize that in my meta spot removal is the more important factor. That might very much be the wrong answer in a lot of metas though, but annoying commanders early game is something I indeed recognize. Sisay, Weatherlight Captain, Prosper, Tome-Bound, Commander Greven il-Vec, Meren of Clan Nel Toth and Kess, Dissident Mage are very prevalent on my table.

Also, I think I've thought of what's going to be removed for Nurturer in my list: I still run (ran..) Wargate! In terms of raw power, this is going to be an absolute downgrade off course, since it's capable of finding almost all key pieces of multiple types like The World Tree, Dragon Tempest, Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, Maskwood Nexus and so on, but I've been cutting tutors lately and am not sorry for it since it greatly increases variance and consistency in my gameplan isn't what I'm looking for in this list.

I'll probably get a few games in tonight, albeit 1v1, and share any experiences with the new toys.

Sefir

offspring wrote:
1 year ago
Also, I think I've thought of what's going to be removed for Nurturer in my list: I still run (ran..) Wargate!
Hey!!! You said that the Wood Elves you took out was your last non-tribal card in your deck!!! :P
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

offspring

Sefir wrote:
1 year ago
offspring wrote:
1 year ago
Also, I think I've thought of what's going to be removed for Nurturer in my list: I still run (ran..) Wargate!
Hey!!! You said that the Wood Elves you took out was your last non-tribal card in your deck!!! :P
Yeah that's what I honestly believed at the time

*doublechecks*

Looks like that Wargate really was the last :)

offspring

OK, got two games in 1v1 and wanted to share some results:

- Got to play Heronblade Elite (which I was considering to cut) on T3 and it fairly quickly became a 7/7. It was honestly fantastic ramp.
- Played Captain N'ghathrod and it was decent. My guess is that because it was 1v1, it wasn't really easy to attack, even with menace.
- Evelyn, the Covetous is a HOUSE. She ensured landdrops each turn and secured the game because I could use Spellstutter Sprite on a key spell.
- The comeback of Ayula, Queen Among Bears was convincing. Obviously, she's best 1v1, but she really was decisive in one of the games.

Won both games by a landslide, in both cases because I was both more consistent and faster on mana. Second game ended in topdeck mode for both of us, with my finding the better creatures leading to victory.

Also, thought: I'm currently considering Homing Sliver. I personally run three slivers now (Manaweft Sliver, Gemhide Sliver and Hibernation Sliver) which is already plenty, but an uncounterable instant speed tutor for any changeling (or ramp/fix for that matter) in our deck is really good I think. It might even be better than Cateran Summons since it finds Hibernation Sliver which is one of the best cards in my list. Don't exactly know to what extent is has been discussed or tested already.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”