December MCC Round 1 - A fork in time

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

MCC-BRO.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of One with the Multiverse by Liiga Smilshkalne.)

December MCC

A fork in time

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest set, in this case The Brothers' War, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

Sometimes you make life choices you might regret later, and taking a different path in just a single occasion might have lifelong ramifications. Just a thing to remember. No connections to what happened, what's happening, or what's about to happen here...

Main Challenge - Design an artifact creature card that has either prototype or unearth, but not both.

Subchallenge 1 - The card is colorless AND the prototype/unearth cost is multicolored. (Hybrid counts.)

Subchallenge 2 - Your card's mana value is 6 or greater AND the prototype/unearth cost is at least 2 mana fewer than the card's mana value.

Clarifications (Updated on December 1st, 2022 10:13 pm CEST)
Show
Hide
Main Challenge
• The card has to be both an artifact AND a creature natively, that is the words "Artifact" and "Creature" are both in the printed type line. Gaining or granting one or both of those card types in any way to itself or other objects does NOT count.
• The card can have any additional supertypes, card types, and subtypes. Just make sure that the whole resulting type line fits in the frame.
• The card must have either prototype or unearth. The card also canNOT have those two keywords both printed in its text box at the same time. Again, your chosen keyword must be natively on the card. Gaining or granting one or both of those keywords in any way to itself or other objects does NOT count.
• Unearth is just a regular keyword, so we know how to format it properly, but prototype might raise some doubts. Here, you can format a text card with prototype in any way you see fit.

NEW: As both prototype and unearth are nonevergreen set keywords, they need reminder text if it fits. So, whatever you do, don't forget the reminder text!. Also, no need to repeat the type line in the prototype ability, prototype doesn't change the type line of the permanent it's on.

• I personally have two suggestions to format prototype text cards. One is what I did yesterday in the DCC, that is just writing out the prototype keyword with the relative mana cost and P/T right next to it. I'll just use my DCC submission as an example:
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Mechanical Hydra XX
Artifact Creature — Hydra (R)
Prototype XGG 0/0 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
Mechanical Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Trample, haste
0/0
Or you could do what they did in Gatherer, that is treating it as a split card with the prototype part being its own separate half of the card. For example, consider Blitz Automaton (just the first French vanilla prototype creature I found) and check out its Gatherer entry. You will see it written out as:
Blitz Automaton 7
Artifact Creature — Construct (C)
Haste
//PRT-Prototype_Mech//
2R
Prototype (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
3/2
While Urza's machines favored defense, Mishra built his to end the war quickly.
6/4
Please don't ask me what that line of text separating the two halves of the card means ("PRT-Prototype_Mech") or why it's there, I don't know. As far as I'm concerned, you could just use a double slash there as you would do with a regular split card and rearrange the regular P/T and the flavor text and write it like this:
Blitz Automaton 7
Artifact Creature — Construct (C)
Haste
While Urza's machines favored defense, Mishra built his to end the war quickly.
6/4

//

2R
Prototype (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
3/2
Written this way, my DCC submission would look like this:
Mechanical Hydra XX
Artifact Creature — Hydra (R)
Mechanical Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Trample, haste
0/0

//

XGG
0/0
These are the ways I personally suggest, but you can do anything you want as long as it's clear and understandable. Also keep in mind the goal for the text card to resemble as closely as possible a real printed Magic card, at least here in the MCC. I think I also wrote that in the guidelines, which you can always check through the link in my signature.

Subchallenge 1
• The two conditions (the card being colorless and the prototype/unearth cost being multicolored) must be both met at the same time for this Subchallenge to count. If only one is met, this Subchallenge is failed.
• The card being colorless refers only to regular color, not color identity. Also because if it referred to color identity it would be pointless to also require the ability cost to be not only colored but multicolored...
• For the ability cost, any kind of multicolored costs count. Hybrid, traditional gold, twobrid, Phyrexian, you name it. As long as there are at least two colors in the ability cost, you're good to go.

Subchallenge 2
• Again, both condition (mana value 6 or greater and ability cost at least 2 mana fewer than the card's mana value) must be both met at the same time for this Subchallenge to count.
• The ability cost counts exactly like if it were the mana cost and you were to calculate the mana value. If I write "unearth {2/W}{2/U}", that's an unearth cost of 4 mana. The same goes for the prototype cost.

If you have any questions, post them in the MCC discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Friday, December 9th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Monday, December 12th 23:59 EDT

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83

We might or might not need more judges. If you're interested, sign up in the judge signup thread.

PLAYERS

Everyone can enter this round. Just reply to this thread posting a card that meets the Main Challenge and any number (that includes zero) of Subchallenges. Future rounds will only be open to those who advance. Come join us!

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.
Last edited by bravelion83 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Aether Unraveler 6
Artifact Creature - Assembly-Worker (Mythic)
Prototype 2WU Artifact Creature - Assembly-Worker 1/1
Spells you cast cost X less to cast and spells your opponents cast cost X more to cast, where X's Aether Unraveler's power.
3/3

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

Helical Dynamo-drill
Artifact Creature — Juggernaut (R)
Prototype RW 2/3 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
Trample, lifelink, haste
Whenever Helical Dynamo-drill attacks, it deals damage to itself equal to its power.
"Pre-charge capacitors to lessen power-up's overheating."
—Urza, note to Tawnos

5/8
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Helithopter 6
Artifact Creature — Thopter (C)
Prototype {W/U} 1/1
Flash
Flying
3/3
Though impressed, Mishra wasn't pleased with Urza's newest iteration of the thopter. Mishra had grown to not like surprises — especially from his brother.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Bloodsteel Moonsphere 7
Artifact Creature - Elemental {R}
Nonbasic lands are Mountains.
Whenever a player activates an ability of an artifact, Bloodsteel Moonsphere deals 3 damage to them.
Unearth 2R
7/3

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Masterwork Annihilator 7
Artifact Creature - Construct (M)
Prototype WUBRG 5/5 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
When Masterwork Annihilator enters the battlefield, if it's one or more colors, destroy each other creature that's one or more colors. Otherwise, destroy each other colorless creature.
7/7

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Lumber Breaker 7
Artifact Creature — Construct (U)
Prototype 1RG 3/2 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
Whenever Lumber Breaker attacks, sacrifice a land. If you do, add X mana in any combination of R and/or G, where X is Lumber Breaker's power. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
5/5

haywire

Post by haywire » 1 year ago

Machine Learner
Artifact Creature — Assembly-Worker {U}
Prototype 0/2 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
Vigilance
When Machine Learner enters the battlefield or phases in, draw a card, then you gain life equal to its toughness.
: Put a +1/+1 counter on Machine Learner. It phases out. Activate only during your turn.
3/5

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Saheeli's Chargebot
Artifact creature - Wurm Construct (Rare)
Haste
Whenever Saheeli's Stormbot attacks, create two 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature tokens tapped and attacking.
, Sacrifice two attacking creatures: Draw two cards, then discard a card.
Unearth (: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield. Unearth only as a sorcery.)
5/5
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Only 5 hours left before the deadline! Get your entries in now!
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Lorebelly Transport 8
Artifact Creature - Frog (R)
Prototype 2BG - 3/3 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
When Lorebelly Transport dies, you draw cards and lose life equal to its power.
Whenever a creature with power 5 or greater dies, each player may put a creature card with power 4 or less from their hand onto the battlefield.
8/8
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

The round is closed. We have 9 submissions which would make for a weird split so I'll go solo this month. This also allows me to eliminate only the lowest ranking player and let the top 8 advance, which accomplishes multiple purposes: it makes the number of players even (a very nice thing to have thinking forward to Round 3 as a host), it will allow three players in the finals (2 more eliminated in Round 2 and then three pairs in Round 3), and it's also very nice for what I have planned to do in Round 2 since before the judge signup thread even went up. You will see. It will take for sure a few days, but I'll try to make it as fast as I can. Just be aware that I won't be able to start until tonight though (it's 6:22 a.m. right now here in Italy).

Judgments complete. Round 2 coming as soon as possible.
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Aether Unraveler 6
Artifact Creature - Assembly-Worker (Mythic)
Prototype 2WU Artifact Creature - Assembly-Worker 1/1
Spells you cast cost X less to cast and spells your opponents cast cost X more to cast, where X's Aether Unraveler's power.
3/3
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Might look a bit small at first glance to Timmy but when he realizes his big monsters can now cost three mana less each he will absolutely rejoice! Johnny could try to find ways to pump this up to the points that all of his spells are free while also protecting his combo. Spike just loves cost reductions for herself and cost increases for her opponents naturally.
Elegance 3/3 - Very nice symmetry in the static ability that allows the effect to be mentally processed much more easily.
Development
Viability 3/3 - I see no problems here. Cost increases and reductions have been on colorless artifacts before, the effect is absolutely fine in WU and definitely feels mythic to me considering that X can be 3 or even more if you pump it... having EVERY spell of yours cost 3+ less WHILE ALSO having EVERY spell of your opponents' cost 3+ more is HUGE. I wouldn't want this at any less than mythic. No problems with the rules either.
Balance 2.5/3 - As a mythic, you won't see a lot of this in limited but that's not a problem. In constructed it looks quite powerful, especially in its big form, but even just for 1, it's already a 2-mana difference between the mana you save for your spells and the additional mana your opponents will have to pay for each of their spells. I think that would already see play in multiple formats, let alone if the mana difference is 6, or even greater if you pump it, just think about how easy it is to put +1/+1 counters on creatures, and each one you put here will be an additional 2-mana difference. I think this might get out of hand very quickly, and I'm at the same time excited and worried about that. Excited as a player, worried as a designer. I'd be especially worried if I were a play designer specifically. Hitting all opponents is obviously even more relevant in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - Multicolored prototype costs are new even though there was a Subchallenge asking for it, so it doesn't actually count that much here. I haven't found any prototype cards in BRO that deal with cost increases and reductions.
Flavor 2/3 - No problems with the card name or concept but I think some short flavor text would have fit here.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - I'll admit the whole reason for the edit to the clarifications spoiler was because I had seen this card, which both lacks reminder text for prototype and repeats the type line in the prototype ability which the actual ability does not do. -0.5 for both of those makes -1. I was hoping you would have noticed my edit, which I specifically also mentioned in the discussion thread to have it be more visible, and edited your submission accordingly but unfortunately you didn't. I'm sorry. Also, there should be no apostrophe in the definition of X, it should be "where X is..." (-0.5).
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 21.5/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
1 year ago
Helical Dynamo-drill
Artifact Creature — Juggernaut (R)
Prototype RW 2/3 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
Trample, lifelink, haste
Whenever Helical Dynamo-drill attacks, it deals damage to itself equal to its power.
"Pre-charge capacitors to lessen power-up's overheating."
—Urza, note to Tawnos

5/8
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy likes a big fatty with a bunch of keywords until he reads the words "to itself". That will be a letdown to him, he doesn't want his creatures to damage themselves. Some Timmies will understand the interaction with lifelink while others won't until it's pointed out to them. Johnny will try to give this indestructible and trigger the last ability repeatedly, might there be some kind of infinite life combo hidden there? And he will also be able to do it immediately as he casts it (or reanimates it, or whatever way to get this onto the battlefield he might find) thanks to haste. I don't think Spike would ever play this for the full price. As a prototype sure, but not for retail price.
Elegance 2.5/3 - The text is very easy to understand, the potential interactions maybe less so.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Both colors are represented here and I can see this as a colorless artifact too. Rarity feels appropriate to me. Not only I see no problems with the rules, but I can see quite interesting interactions there, even within this same card (lifelink + damage to itself for example).
Balance 2.5/3 - I do like how in both the ordinary and the prototype version this has greater toughness than power, so it survives its "deal damage to itself" trigger. An automatic 10-life swing on attack requires a high cost for the regular version, and eight mana looks appropriate to me. Just two mana for an automatic 4-life swing looks a bit too low as a cost to me. It's true that your opponent will only need to deal 1 combat damage to this to kill it in combat, but I would at least have considered three mana for the prototype cost. Remember that trample and haste also have to be accounted for in the cost. Yet, I don't think this card is broken. I think that it would see limited play, as it's relevant both in the early and late game. I think that in constructed you would always just play this as a prototype. I see no particular problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Multicolored prototype costs are new even though there was a Subchallenge asking for it, so it doesn't actually count that much here. All known elements that combine in a very interesting way that does feel fresh to me.
Flavor 3/3 - Perfect in every aspect, name, concept, flavor text, everything. I especially like the structure of that sentence of flavor text. Hyphenated word, then noun, then verb right at the middle, then another hyphenated word followed by another noun. The two hyphenated words have the same number of syllables before and after the hyphen but reversed (one and two and then two and one), and the two nouns that follow have the same number of syllables (four). The middle verb has three syllables, a conveniently odd number, so that its middle syllable is the symmetry axis of the whole sentence. It just flows out the tongue in a very good and satisfying way as a result, the metric is perfect. I don't know if all of this was intentional, but the symmetry is very aesthetically pleasing to me and if it was intentional it shows how much care you must have put in the details. Full points here, no doubt about it.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good. I particularly appreciate the correct use of the em dash in the type line.
TOTAL 23/25
Legend
Show
Hide
Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Helithopter 6
Artifact Creature — Thopter (C)
Prototype {W/U} 1/1
Flash
Flying
3/3
Though impressed, Mishra wasn't pleased with Urza's newest iteration of the thopter. Mishra had grown to not like surprises — especially from his brother.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - I can's see Timmy ever casting this as a prototype, but he definitely likes the bigger version, at the very least for the evasion. Johnny could use an evasive creature that he can play at any moment it needs to trigger some kind or ability or do his thing whatever it might be, and that he can cast for just one mana if he doesn't have the full six. Spike really likes flash and the flexibility of being able to play this as a turn-1 evasive beater if she needs that or wait to get full value out of this in the late game. What she likes is that this card will never be useless.
Elegance 3/3 - You just taught us all a lesson in how to create an elegant card. You've even taught the teacher, a professional teacher in real life, and that teacher can do nothing else but giving you full points here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - U can definitely do this, W has access to flash too even if tertiary so it could this too, and both flash and obviously especially flying have been on colorless artifact creatures before. A very simple French vanilla like this is absolutely appropriate for common. I see no way this can cause problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - For once, I don't have much to say here. You will play this in limited for sure, both as a prototype and in the regular version. Flying Man is quite on the weak side for today's standards, but giving it flash might make it relevant as a surprise chump blocker in the air. That and the fact that you could still play it at end of your opponent's turn and immediately attack with it on your turn with the bigger version might tempt some players to try this in constructed too, even though keeping six mana open will not be the easiest thing to do. Absolutely no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - Multicolored prototype costs are new even though there was a Subchallenge asking for it, so it doesn't actually count that much here. At least this is hybrid and not traditional gold, and that helps here. French vanilla flash fliers are nothing new though.
Flavor 3/3 - A very good pun in the name and a flavor text that tells a whole story in just two sentences. I don't see how you could have done better here.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - Reminder text for prototype is missing. (-0.5) I particularly appreciate the correct use of the em dash in the type line though, and especially in the flavor text, and also the correct (for the MCC) formatting of the text card on your part.
TOTAL 23.5/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Bloodsteel Moonsphere 7
Artifact Creature - Elemental {R}
Nonbasic lands are Mountains.
Whenever a player activates an ability of an artifact, Bloodsteel Moonsphere deals 3 damage to them.
Unearth 2R
7/3
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Griefers, which are a subset of Timmy, will rejoice at another Blood Moon variant. Johnny might use this as additional copies of Blood Moon or build a deck with a Stuffy Doll enchanted by a Pariah and any artifacts with an activated ability that works from the battlefield and not from the graveyard: activate that ability of that artifact, have this trigger on yourself, have the Doll take the damage instead of you and have it going to his opponent's head instead of his own. He'd love something like that. Spike also probably just sees it as "now I can have twelve copies of Blood Moon!" Copies 5 to 8 are Magus of the Moon.
Elegance 1.5/3 - "The text appears very easy to understand, and the clear piggybacking on Blood Moon, which is a very famous card, definitely helps here. The problem will be when you get to the triggered ability and you will learn that it doesn't actually work as it was probably intended:
"But it says right here on the card that I get to deal damage when I activate an artifact!"
"Yes, but that means 'artifact on the battlefield', and an artifact card in your graveyard is not that."
"But it says 'artifact'! Look, right here!"
"Ok, but where is the card when you say you're going to unearth it?"
"In the graveyard, of course."
"That's the problem. It's not an artifact on the battlefield yet."
"So you're telling me that I can't unearth this card and have it deal 3 damage out of that?"
"No, sorry."
"D'OH!"
"Sorry, Homer. I didn't even think you played Magic...""
Development
Viability 1/3 - No problems with this in R obviously given the precedents, plural because the Magus exists too, but I'm not sure about the effect on a colorless card in modern Magic design. It's true that BRO tries to have a retro feel and in the early days there were many more effects like this going around, turning things into specific colors or basic land types, but it doesn't fully convince me as something all colors could potentially do. No problems with this at rare. A big issue with the rules: unless it's meant to work this way, which would feel strange to me but if it's the case I apologize, the triggered ability doesn't work with unearth, because using unearth is not activating an ability of an "artifact", that means an artifact on the battlefield, it's activating an ability of an "artifact card" in your graveyard. There are no "artifacts" in the graveyard, only on the battlefield, and there are no "artifact cards" on the battlefield, only in zones other than the battlefield and the stack. On the stack, they would be called "artifact spells". To interact with unearth, the triggered ability would need to be worded something like "Whenever a player activates an ability of an artifact card in your graveyard, etc..."
Balance 2.5/3 - I've already written about what I think the issue with this card is, but I wanted to point out an additional detail. As written, mana abilities DO trigger the second ability of this card. Similar cards usually don't. See for example Burning-Tree Shaman, Flamescroll Celebrant, Harsh Mentor, Immolation Shaman, and Runic Armasaur. It's still functional, just very unusual, and hits a LOT more abilities. I think it's well known by now that I don't like the Commander format at all and I don't play it, but I know that, for example, Sol Ring is very relevant there for sure, and I think the Signets too. Was it intentional that if a player, including you, uses one of those they will take 3? I'm not sure about that, but it makes a huge difference here. The costs need to be much different, it looks like just a design choice, but it's also a development one that heavily impacts the balance of the card. I think that making that ability symmetrical must absolutely be intentional, and I've got no problems with that. At least, that allows you to mitigate the need for the costs to be higher due to that ability also triggering off of mana abilities. I don't know if those two aspects cancel each other out, but I think they are both worth of notice. Also worth mentioning is that the limited duration of the Blood Moon effect when you unearth this, as it will only last a single turn barring shenanigans like blinking and such. That's also interesting. If this is to be printed in BRO limited, I think it could see play there, it's true that the second ability doesn't interact with unearth but there are still a lot of artifacts with activated abilities on the battlefield for this to trigger from. In constructed I think it would mainly be played as additional copies of Blood Moon, and we know how much play that card sees in multiple formats. Hitting all players with two symmetrical abilities looks like it might be relevant in multiplayer. In casual, Blood Moon is not exactly the most fun card to play against, like all cards that mess with your opponents' lands and in general their mana sources.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - The inspiration for this is too obvious for the score to be high here. Yes, it's on an artifact with additional abilities, but it's just too clear here. You wouldn't remember this as its own thing but just as "that Blood Moon with unearth... and maybe some other ability that I can't think of now, but you get what card I mean... that one!"
Flavor 1.5/3 - Flavor text should fit here but there is none. The name only works if you get the reference to Blood Moon, which is indeed a very famous card, but I honestly don't think they would be so blunt in naming this card. Yes, things like Ignoble Hierarch exist, but there aren't that many of those, or at least obvious and famous ones. I would have tried to keep the reference but make it more subtle.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - Reminder text for unearth is missing. (-0.5) It's not a functional mistake, but Burning-Tree Shaman, Flamescroll Celebrant, Harsh Mentor, and Immolation Shaman show us that the standard template for this kind of abilities is "...deals N damage to that player", not "to them". (-0.5)
Subchallenges 1/2 - Subchallenge 1 is NOT met as the card is indeed colorless but its unearth cost is not multicolored.
TOTAL 15.5/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Masterwork Annihilator 7
Artifact Creature - Construct (M)
Prototype WUBRG 5/5 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
When Masterwork Annihilator enters the battlefield, if it's one or more colors, destroy each other creature that's one or more colors. Otherwise, destroy each other colorless creature.
7/7
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Perfect for Timmy. I honestly can't see what Johnny could do, but he would probably come up with something. Spike always likes wrath effects that can be potentially one-sided or almost.
Elegance 2/3 - Everything's good until you get to the triggered ability, which reads much better than it would need to work properly. Most players won't even see the problem there. (See Viability.)
Development
Viability 1/3 - No problems with the color pie or rarity. Huge problems with the rules though, unfortunately. The ETB specifically has rules problems. It's a triggered ability with an intervening if clause that says "if it's one or more colors", so if that part is not true it doesn't trigger at all. If you cast this with prototype there's no problem, it works just fine and it does what it's supposed to, but if you cast it for the normal mana cost it will not "be one or more colors", so the intervening if is not true and so the ability doesn't even trigger and go on the stack. The "otherwise" part would work on resolution, but it never gets to resolve because the ability has never gone to the stack so it never got a chance to resolve at all. That "otherwise" part does nothing as is, and at the contrary, its existence would let players believe it works while it doesn't. For the ETB ability to work as it's clearly intended to work, the "if it's one or more colors" check needs to happen only on resolution, so it needs to be worded essentially in any way that is not an intervening if. Unfortunately, you managed to hit the one wording that isn't functional, or better, that is functional but not as intended and with a part that is at the same time useless and misleading. What's true is that any wording I could think of that's functional reads badly compared to this one. I'm thinking of something like "When CARDNAME ETB, destroy each other creature that's one or more colors if CARDNAME is one or more colors. Otherwise, ..." Yeah, it reads ugly, but it would work as intended. Or you could use a replacement effect like "When CARDNAME ETB, destroy each creature that's one of more colors. If CARDNAME is colorless, instead destroy each other colorless creature." That reads better while also working as intended, and so it would probably be the one that I'd choose. I'm really sorry.
Balance 3/3 - Not much to say here. I can see a potentially one-sided wrath effect getting played in most formats, limited, constructed, casual, multiplayer, you name it. The only remark that I have is that a five-colored mana cost is always hard to pay, especially in limited, but also in Standard. The further back you go with your format of choice, the easier it will be to pay it.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - The multicolored prototype cost was requested by the challenges but I'll admit that I didn't expect a five-colored one to show up, I had no problems with that when I was it posted in the thread, but I was surprised. It did catch my attention, and that must mean something here. You'd definitely remember that "five-color prototype card". The rest of the card is quite splashy and memorable.
Flavor 3/3 - I agree with this card having no flavor text, I don't think it would fit here. No problems with the name, it's a masterpiece of an artificial construct that annihilates things by destroying them mechanically. Definitely good enough at the very least.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - The wording causes rules problems, which I have detailed in Viability, so you need to find another way to word the ETB ability. As is, it's clearly not the intended functionality and it has a part that does nothing, so it's clearly not the correct one to use on this card. (-0.5)
TOTAL 21/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
1 year ago
Lumber Breaker 7
Artifact Creature — Construct (U)
Prototype 1RG 3/2 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
Whenever Lumber Breaker attacks, sacrifice a land. If you do, add X mana in any combination of R and/or G, where X is Lumber Breaker's power. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
5/5
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes this but he doesn't want to sacrifice his lands. Yes, he will get additional mana out of it, but it still feels bad to him anyway. Johnny can always use additional mana, and the mandatory land sacrifice is not a big problem to him, after all cards like Life from the Loam still exist. Spike doesn't mind sacrificing lands for huge amounts of mana at all.
Elegance 2/3 - I wish the land sacrifice was optional. As is, you can and will mana screw yourself, and more casual or less experienced players might not even realize why they don't have the mana to cast their spells later.
Development
Viability 2/3 - No problems with the color pie or the rules. I see this much more as a rare rather than an uncommon though, or even as a mythic considering how much mana you could get out of this, especially if you manage to keep it around for multiple turn cycles.
Balance 2.5/3 - Yes, the land sacrifice being optional would require you to make the costs higher, but it might be worth it in my opinion. At the very least I would consider it. The costs and rate look appropriate to me, though, again, it might be too strong as an uncommon. I'd see this much better as a rare. I see no other problems with the balance of this card in any formats, limited, constructed, casual, multiplayer, you name it.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Multicolored prototype costs are new even though there was a Subchallenge asking for it, so it doesn't actually count that much here. Sacrificing lands for additional mana has been done several times in different forms throughout Magic's history. This is just another variation on it.
Flavor 3/3 - Flavor text definitely doesn't fit here, so no problems with that. The name reflects the mechanics very well.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good. I particularly appreciate the correct use of the em dash in the type line.
TOTAL 20.5/25
haywire
Show
Hide
haywire wrote:
1 year ago
Machine Learner
Artifact Creature — Assembly-Worker {U}
Prototype 0/2 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
Vigilance
When Machine Learner enters the battlefield or phases in, draw a card, then you gain life equal to its toughness.
: Put a +1/+1 counter on Machine Learner. It phases out. Activate only during your turn.
3/5
Design
Appeal 3/3 - "Timmy and Spike agree here: there is a part of this card they both can love.
"You can gain so much life out of this! Think about it, Spike!"
"Timmy, you've got it wrong. You think about how many cards you can draw out of this. The life gain is just a bonus."
"No, that's the reverse, Spike! You'll thank me when you're at 1 life and this saves you!"
"Timmy, you will thank me because you won't even get down to 1 life if you have all the cards you need in hand."
"Ok, I've got it. I keep my life gain and you keep your beloved card draw. Deal?"
"Deal. But don't forget that more card draw equals more fatties to cast. It could be useful to you too, you know?"
In the meantime, Johnny is away, his mind looking for ways to have this phase in and out as many times in the same turn as he possibly can."
Elegance 2/3 - A potential ambiguity in the wording: does "its" in "equal to its toughness" refer to the Machine Learner (as clearly intended) or to the card you drew if it happens to be a card with a printed toughness, that is a creature or Vehicle? I can see this being slightly confusing to more casual or less experienced players when they draw such a card out of the Learner's triggered ability, and they will also be the same players who wouldn't probably realize that even if it were meant to be that way, if they draw a Vehicle card it doesn't even have a toughness while it's not on the battlefield (and animated via crew or any other means) despite a printed number being there. Not a big thing, but it would have been too easier to just write out "equal to Machine Learner's toughness."
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - I see no problems in the color pie, but this feels why more like a rare rather than an uncommon. It can be a bit complicated and repeatable card drawing can be quite strong. But can a permanent even have abilities triggering from itself phasing in? Ok, that's more of a philosophical question, but I'm still not sure... Let me check just to be sure. Ok, yes, you can, no problems with that: Shimmering Efreet,Teferi's Imp,Warping Wurm.
Balance 3/3 - The only thing that gives me thoughts about this card, as I kinda alluded to in the dialogue between Timmy and Spike, is how many cards you can draw out of this. I think that's the reason why you went with phasing over blinking here, and I can't say you're wrong. By using phasing, you need to make the trigger less simple and elegant, but if you cast this as a prototype it will still be a prototype, aka have only 2 toughness. You can increase that number but it will cost you quite some mana. If you had used blinking instead, an ETB trigger would have sufficed, but you could cast this as a prototype and have it come back as the full version, which honestly does look like it would be too easy to do. The "only during your turn" restriction is also obviously interesting here, and I think I agree with that too. Phasing it out at the end of your opponent's turn and have it come back immediately afterwards in your draw step, where by the way no player gets priority to respond, looks like it would also be too easy of a thing to do, and almost always the correct choice. With that restriction it's much more interesting also from a strategic point of view. I see no problems in any formats.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Multicolored prototype costs are new even though there was a Subchallenge asking for it, so it doesn't actually count that much here. That "phases in" ability felt very original to me, until I discovered that it had already been done way before I started playing in original Ravnica, so that was why I didn't remember this kind of abilities. There are a lot of players who started playing at the same time as me or even later, and to all of them that ability will feel new. There is also a new evolution in twobrid mana, that is its use along with generic mana in the same mana cost.
Flavor 2/3 - Definitely no room for flavor text here, no problem. The learning part is card drawing and that's clear, and the machine part is because it's an artifact, good. I would have liked to find a way to represent also the phasing part, but I honestly have no better suggestions at the moment. The name is still very evocative though.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - All good except for the potentially ambiguous wording (see Elegance, -0.5 here too). I particularly appreciate the correct use of the em dash in the type line.
TOTAL 22/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Saheeli's Chargebot
Artifact creature - Wurm Construct (Rare)
Haste
Whenever Saheeli's Stormbot attacks, create two 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature tokens tapped and attacking.
, Sacrifice two attacking creatures: Draw two cards, then discard a card.
Unearth (: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield. Unearth only as a sorcery.)
5/5
Design
Appeal 3/3 - A big creature that attacks immediately and brings some friends with it, that's already enough for Timmy, even though he will never sacrifice his attackers unless they're about to die anyway. Johnny can use the looting, the tokens, everything. He'll be the one thinking about sacrificing this to its own looting effect and then unearth it to do it again. Spike likes looting and the rather good rate on this.
Elegance 2.5/3 - Very easy to understand. Not everybody will realize at first glace that you can have this sacrifice itself to its own activated ability as it doesn't say "other" or anything like that, but that's not a big problem even though it can be somewhat relevant on a creature that naturally has haste. I can't see how to change the wording while keeping the same functionality though.
Development
Viability 2/3 - I can see this as a colorless artifact creature, it vaguely reminds me of Wurmcoil Engine, a big creature for six mana that creates tokens. Sure, the similarities end there, but I had that thought. R can absolutely do this, but it would rummage rather than loot in the activated ability. Yes, there are the precedents of Faithless Looting and Desolate Lighthouse, but those were from a time before they came up with rummaging as the looting variant for R. U feels like it's only needed for the looting effect as the tokens entering attacking makes their creation feel more of a R effect rather than U. Overall, to me this feels like a R card with a U activated ability, not as a colorless card with a UR activated ability. The rate kinda requires this to be a rare. I see no problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - In limited you would always play this, a big creature that brings friends on attack, and those friends are also attacking, and it also have haste, and it can also make you loot, and it can also come back from the graveyard... Actually, it might be enough for constructed too. Four mana to unearth it looks like a very good deal. The only other remark I have here is just a minor thing: having haste is irrelevant when you unearth it, it would have it anyway out of unearth. But at least it's relevant if you play it normally. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Multicolored unearth costs are new even though there was a Subchallenge asking for it, so it doesn't actually count that much here. Nothing really new on the rest of the card.
Flavor 2/3 - Hard to judge a card name when you don't know which one is the real one. (See Quality.) Anyway, the tokens being Servos fits very well with this being one of Saheeli's creations. No room for flavor text so no problems there.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - The card name changes in its rules text. The "Chargebot" becomes a "Stormbot". This is a functional mistake, so -1. Also, the word "creature" in the type line should be capitalized on an English card. (-0.5) By the way, for those that might not know, on a French card that would be correct. The type line is NOT capitalized in French, and it also has a colon instead of the dash, which in English would be a functional mistake as the colon identifies an activated ability. In Italian it works like in English instead if you care, with the em dash and all types capitalized. The one peculiarity we have in Italian (which I personally hate) is that the word "tap" in its technical Magic meaning is always written in ALL CAPS. For example, an ability saying "(trigger), tap target creature." becomes the following in Italian: "(trigger), TAPpa una creatura bersaglio." The word "bersaglio" literally means "target" and "una" is just an indefinite article, like the English "a". Don't ask me why, I've never understood that. I don't know about other languages and their own peculiarities, but what I have learned is that each language has its own. That's also one of the reasons why the rule saying that a card's official text is its English one regardless of its language needs to be there. Ok, there you have it: one of Leo's usual digression in the form of unrequested trivia.
TOTAL 19/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Lorebelly Transport 8
Artifact Creature - Frog (R)
Prototype 2BG - 3/3 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, color, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
When Lorebelly Transport dies, you draw cards and lose life equal to its power.
Whenever a creature with power 5 or greater dies, each player may put a creature card with power 4 or less from their hand onto the battlefield.
8/8
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes putting a substitute creature directly onto the battlefield when one of his fatties dies. Johnny could also maybe use that trigger someway, but he definitely can use the other one to dig for combo pieces at the very least. Spike dreams about drawing eight cards but she knows she will always "just" draw three. She will always play this as a prototype, knowing that maybe she will get to live her dream someday, but not today. Today she has to win in a realistic way.
Elegance 2.5/3 - It might take a moment to mentally process the last ability, but overall still very easy to understand.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - Both colors are represented, especially in the last ability, that has a B trigger with a G effect. Not sure about any color potentially put creatures straight onto the battlefield, but I think it would be fine at such a high mana cost. Absolutely rare. I see no problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Another card for which, for once, I have not much to say in this area. It looks fine to me, both as a prototype and its big version. Eight mana for an 8/8 with relevant upside looks appropriate to me. I think that, at least in constructed always but probably in limited often too, you would just play this as a prototype, but that's not a problem. The potential to draw eight cards might tempt you to use its big version too from time to time. "Each player" putting a creature onto the battlefield in the last ability is obviously very relevant in multiplayer. I see no particular problems in casual.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Multicolored unearth costs are new even though there was a Subchallenge asking for it, so it doesn't actually count that much here. Nothing really new in the first triggered ability, but the second one does feel somewhat fresh to me.
Flavor 3/3 - Everything works well enough for me. It's a mechanical frog that carries things and people on its belly. No problems here and no room for flavor text.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 23/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
Legend: 23.5
Lorn Asbord Schutta: 23
void_nothing: 23
haywire: 22
netn10: 21.5
slimytrout: 21
Subject16: 20.5
marioguy3: 19

MonoRedMage: 15.5
Show
Hide

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”