November MCC, Round 2 - Pay the Toll

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Banner based on Old Fogey, by Douglas Shuler and Wizards of the Coast.. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
November MCC, Round 2 - Pay the Toll

Welcome to the November MCC! It's Deprecated Keyword Abilities Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a noncreature permanent card with cumulative upkeep.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is monocolored
Subchallenge 2: Your card has mana of a color it is not in its cumulative upkeep cost

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Monday, November 21st 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Wednesday, November 23rd 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: Cumulative upkeep means "At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent, then sacrifice it unless you pay its upkeep cost for each age counter on it."
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
Rithaniel

Players:
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Freyleyes
@Lorn Asbord Schutta
@Riria
@slimytrout
@bravelion83
@netn10
@haywire
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Teferi, Lost in Time 1UU
Legendary Planeswalker — Teferi (M)
Cumulative upkeep — Remove a loyalty counter from Teferi, Lost in Time.
+2: Reveal the top card of your library. If its mana value is less or equal to the number of age counters on Teferi, put it into your hand. Otherwise, you may put it on the bottom of your library.
+1: Tap target creature, then put a stun counter on it for each age counter on Teferi.
0: Create a 1/1 blue Spirit creature token with flying. Put a +1/+1 counter on it for each age counter on Teferi.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Castle Cemetery 3W
Enchantment (R)
Cumulative upkeep—{B/G}, Exile a card from a graveyard.
When Castle Cemetery enters the battlefield, you may exile a card from a graveyard.
Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card exiled with Castle Cemetery.
Creatures you control have vigilance and lifelink if there are four or more card types among cards exiled with Castle Cemetery.
"You are the last of your clan. May the spirits of your ancestors who rest here bless the blade of your sword."
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

haywire

Post by haywire » 1 year ago

Cycle of Decomposition 1G
Tribal Enchantment—Fungus {R}
Cumulative Upkeep—{b/G}, Sacrifice a land.
Whenever you sacrifice a land, choose one. If it was basic, choose any number instead.
• Create a 2/3 black and green Fungus creature token with ", Remove a spore counter from this creature: Add or ."
• Put a spore counter on each Fungus creature you control. Then, you may remove 3 spore counters from among creatures you control. If you do, draw a card.
• You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped. You gain 2 life.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 1 year ago

Mana Pouch U
Artifact - Equipment {R}
Cumulative Upkeep {B/R}
G, Sacrifice Mana Pouch: Add X mana in any combination of colors, where X is twice the number of age counters on Mana Pouch. Activate only as a sorcery.
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each age counter on Mana Pouch.
Equip W
A priceless trinket that every adventurer need.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Checking in with @kwanyeegor-ii @Riria @Lorn Asbord Schutta and @netn10 and granting a 24-hour extension.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Return of the God-Pharaoh B
Enchantment - Saga (Uncommon)
Cumulative Upkeep - U, B or R
I - You draw a card and you lose 1 life.
II - Draw a card if U was spent to pay for this card's cumulative upkeep this turn, each opponent loses 2 and you gain 2 life if B was spent and amass 2 if R was spent.
III - Search your library for a Bolas planeswalker card, put it into your hand, then shuffle.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

Collapsing Maelstrom
Land (M)
Cumulative Upkeep — Search your library for a basic land card, exile it, then shuffle.
, : Add and one mana of any color.
When Collapsing Maelstrom leaves the battlefield, it deals damage to you equal to the number of age counters on it. Put all land cards exiled with it onto the battlefield tapped under their owner's control.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Overcommitted Factory 4W
Enchantment (Rare)
Cumulative upkeep R
At the beginning of each end step, create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying.
Whenever you pay Overcommitted Factory's cumulative upkeep cost, artifact creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn for each age counter on Overcommitted Factory.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And so the round is closed! Here are the judging assignments - top two contestants per judge will advance:

void_nothing:
slimytrout
Freyleyes
netn10
Lorn Asbord Schutta

@Rithaniel:
bravelion83
haywire
kwanyeegor-ii

Let's try to have judgments in by Saturday, but of course if they go later than that it's totally understandable what with the holiday.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

Judgments
Show
Hide
bravelion83
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Castle Cemetery 3W
Enchantment (R)
Cumulative upkeep—{B/G}, Exile a card from a graveyard.
When Castle Cemetery enters the battlefield, you may exile a card from a graveyard.
Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card exiled with Castle Cemetery.
Creatures you control have vigilance and lifelink if there are four or more card types among cards exiled with Castle Cemetery.
"You are the last of your clan. May the spirits of your ancestors who rest here bless the blade of your sword."
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes the creature buffing, but doesn't like the fact that he loses the buffs if he doesn't keep up with the cost. Johnny probably would like to exile double-faced cards to get this card to its maximum capability, but doesn't see much interesting aside from the puzzle of how to use it well. Spike likes it as a bomb in limited, and it's probably fast enough to warrant a rare few other instances of play, but thinks it might be a bit too slow overall.
(1/3) Elegance - So, with this design, I think there are multiple small issues. This could be done in mono-white and so the off-color cumulative upkeep cost doesn't feel necessary, nor do the effects feel splashy enough to warrant the off-color. There's the additional line of exiling a card when it enters the battlefield, so that it can have immediate effect, but that, too, hurts the elegance. There's also the fact that the one ability wants you to spread out the types of cards you exile and the other ability wants you to focus on just creatures.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Rarity and typing feel good, and I can't take off any points for being off-color.
(2.5/3) Balance - I think this is in a good place. It is potentially very powerful, but the stringent cumulative upkeep keeps it in check. It's a little slow, giving at most +1/+1 to all creatures for 4 mana at first, but, with clever exiling, can give +3/+3 and a couple keywords within a couple of turns. This is late enough that an aggro deck wouldn't need it, but still early enough that midrange decks would love the additional pressure. I take off half a point because, depending on the environment, this could be an oppressive design. With enough ways to easily refill graveyards, it's not even difficult to maintain that upkeep. However, there are clear counters to it in the form of graveyard hate, and four mana is honestly a lot for something that only buffs and exiles cards from graveyards.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Pretty standard stuff. The most "new" stuff is in the upkeep cost, and that stuff is new, but not enough for full points.
(1.5/3) Flavor - So, one gripe on the flavor, is that the flavor doesn't really incorporate why noncreature things are in the graveyard. Another gripe is that exiling cards from graveyards means that they're no longer there, but the flavor is that things being in the cemetery give you buffs. Also, why is a castle cemetery special? Where does the "castle" bit come in? Still, there's a direction that you are exploring with this flavor, and clear ideas to it, so I can't take off all the points.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, it's not a creature and it has cumulative upkeep.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, it's monocolored and has an off-color upkeep cost.

Total: 18.5/25
haywire
Show
Hide
haywire wrote:
1 year ago
Cycle of Decomposition 1G
Tribal Enchantment—Fungus {R}
Cumulative Upkeep—{b/G}, Sacrifice a land.
Whenever you sacrifice a land, choose one. If it was basic, choose any number instead.
• Create a 2/3 black and green Fungus creature token with ", Remove a spore counter from this creature: Add or ."
• Put a spore counter on each Fungus creature you control. Then, you may remove 3 spore counters from among creatures you control. If you do, draw a card.
• You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped. You gain 2 life.
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Spike is all about this design. Getting a lot of tokens, drawing cards, negating drawbacks, and also doing all 3 relatively easily. Johnny sees this as a draw engine with enough proliferate and other sources of spore counters, but is frustrated by the limited ability to enable that engine. Timmy likes the army this grants, and the splashiness of the "choose any number instead" bit.
(1/3) Elegance - So, you have too much tension in this design. On one side, you want to use spore counters for the ramp, but you also want to keep them for the card draw. It's not clear if it wants to be a creature engine, a ramp engine, a card draw engine, or a lifegain engine. It also requires a lot of effort from the player to figure out how to use it effectively.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - This is a powerful enough card that I think it should be mythic, but I could also see it working as a rare, so I'm only taking off half a point. Meanwhile, nothing is off-color.
(0/3) Balance - Yeah, this is too strong. All you have to do it feed it basic lands and you get too much benefit. Fill your deck up with basic lands and you get a 2/3 token each turn for multiple turns, several cards drawn, and lots of life gained, and all for just two mana. Like, sure, the cumulative upkeep means you can't keep up with it forever, but you don't have to in order for the benefit to be worth way more than what 2 mana should be able to give you. Even if you only manage to sacrifice three lands to it, there's no reason they can't all be basic, so that gives you three 2/3 creatures, two cards drawn, and 6 life gained. If you didn't draw any additional lands in the four cards from those two turns and the two additional draws, that's not your fault - it's just bad luck, so you can reasonably assume most games you'll sacrifice more than three lands, and the benefits just keep stacking up. Next turn, if you have three basic lands to sacrifice, which is reasonable since the card enables itself, you get another three 2/3 creatures, three more cards drawn, and 6 more life gained.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Full points for the "choose any number instead" line alone. That is creative.
(2/3) Flavor - I can see the flavor of the "cycle" in this, with the sacrificed lands creating fungi, the fungi drawing cards, and the drawn cards leading to lands being emptied onto the field. However, I don't know for sure how the land dying results in fungi. Shouldn't that be related to creatures dying? Also, "Decomposition" is more of a deleterious concept while this design is all about building stuff up.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - It should be "if that land was basic"
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, it's not a creature and it has cumulative upkeep.

Total: 17.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Overcommitted Factory 4W
Enchantment (Rare)
Cumulative upkeep R
At the beginning of each end step, create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying.
Whenever you pay Overcommitted Factory's cumulative upkeep cost, artifact creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn for each age counter on Overcommitted Factory.
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Timmy likes the creatures and the buffing that this enchantment grants. Spike likes how quickly it ramps up and how the tokens all fly. Johnny likes the fact that it buffs all artifact creatures and also likes getting tokens for a sack engine.
(2/3) Elegance - The fact that this only gives you a 1/1 flying token for 5 mana if you were to play it in mono-white hurts it a bit. With that in mind, you would never play this in mono-white, even though you could. That hurts the elegance of the design. That being said, the mechanics aren't strictly in conflict with each other, and the way the card plays does make sense.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This works as a mono-white card, it works as a rare, and the off-color cumulative upkeep cost does make sense. Fully viable.
(2/3) Balance - So, this is interesting. The closest thing to it would be Assemble the Legion, but where that card gives 1 power, then 2 power, then 6 power, then 10 power, this card gives 2 power, then 6 power, then 12 power, then 20 power. Also, these tokens are flying. However, this card also has cumulative upkeep. All that being said, Assemble the Legion isn't overpowered, but it's also not bad. I think that card is in a good place, balance wise. I'm going to argue that Overcommitted Factory is considerably stronger than Assemble the Legion, in spite of the cumulative upkeep, since the upkeep is likely to not be overwhelming for several turns, the overall power of the tokens is greater and the tokens fly. As a result, I think this design is a bit too strong, but not by a huge amount.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - It's a creature-token maker that provides firebreathing in a way tied to cumulative upkeep. It's a new combination of mechanics, which I'm surprised hasn't been done before, but they're all old mechanics.
(1.5/3) Flavor - The flavor is clear, but could be a little more interesting or fleshed out. It's just a factory that is pushing too hard. One other issue is that it's a factory, but is an enchantment.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 20.5/25
Results
Show
Hide
Bold Advance:
  • kwanyeegor-ii - 20.5
  • bravelion83 - 18.5
  • haywire - 17.5
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Pretty much a Jxnny card. Txmmy doesn't like the idea of an ultimate-less planeswalker that inevitably won't last very long, and Spike doesn't see this card making an immediate impact or, indeed, any kind of big one until probably right before you have to sacrifice it.
(1/3) Elegance - Blah. There are two types of counter here, both of which are pretty integral to the planeswalker's survival, and when one of them gets placed a variable number of the other one gets removed. This is fine to do in digital, I guess, but it's easy to see how something like this could get tracked wrongly in paper.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Blue and mythic look right.
(3/3) Balance - Draw/self-protect/make a token might be the classic "solid planeswalker" suite of abilities, and there may be no abilities here that cost minus loyalty, but cumulative upkeep is a harsh drawback and will quickly kill this Teferi even if you keep using the quite restricted +2 to try your luck drawing low-CMC cards.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - While the cumulative upkeep idea here is very unusual, on the whole I think this is both a conventional-feeling planeswalker and one that feels like Teferi.
(2.5/3) Flavor - While "Lost in Time" feels a bit like a generic/playtest name for this version of Teferi, it's also a concept I fully buy as an explanation for why he has cumulative upkeep.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Done.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Monocolored, but no mana in the CU cost.

Total: 18/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny are all over this strange card, but Spike is not interested except if there's a niche these unique effects could fit in Standard.
(2/3) Elegance - That is a blinding number of colors in different places and there are several reasons you need to track the age counters on this card, but otherwise the "point" of this card is easy to see.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Every single color on this card makes sense where it is. I'm impressed.
(3/3) Balance - No issues - you can get a lot of ramp off this card, but you need to prepay for it and it is slow. The pump ability is more fun/utility than anything, not really a power level concern.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Very neat and new even though it's "just" a mana accel and pump Equipment - almost to the point of being plain bizarre and zany.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I like most of this card's flavor, and of course being a pouch storing stuff up makes sense for any artifact accumulating counters, but I'm just not sold on why it pumps power. Is the person holding it meant to be using this pouch as a blunt instrument to bash people like a bar of soap in a sock, not just as an arcane battery?

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - The u in "upkeep" should be lowercase, and the flavor text should say "needs".
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 22/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - The scale is a bit small for Txmmy, but for their own reasons neither Jxnny nor Spike would pooh-pooh a one-mana Saga.
(1/3) Elegance - Woof, another card with multiple counter types to keep track of. At least the lore counters and age counters will both simply go on one per turn, but this has a lot going on particularly in the second ability, which is "enhanced" based on the CU cost and incorporates a non-evergreen keyword action... one that puts counters on a token, no less.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Colors here are totally fine - this is Bolas we're talking about for one thing. It's just the rarity that's throwing me - while all of these effects except possibly for tutoring up a Bolas card are low-impact, this card is also so utterly complicated it nearly has to be rare.
(3/3) Balance - I'm inclined to say this is fair. Urza's Saga is extremely powerful, sure, but this is not that card - it does cost mana up front, even if only one, and the cumulative upkeep cost means that for all three chapters, four mana must be paid over three turns.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - The cumulative upkeep and Saga interaction is a definite new thought, as is the second ability's "enhanced spell" dynamic, but ultimately this text is mostly "do Bolas things".
(2.5/3) Flavor - Amass wasn't a mechanic during Hour of Devastation - the set where Bolas did return to Amonkhet - so something just makes me feel this card would fit better as a representation of something from the War of the Spark storyline. Like "Bolas Learns the Elderspell"?

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - That CU ability should say "Cumulative upkeep U, B, or R" if Earthen Goo's cycle is anything to go by, and the second chapter ability is punctuated very weirdly.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Looks good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yes, done.

Total: 18.5/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Wow, who WOULDN'T like this sheer potential for ramp? For different purposes, Txmmy, Jxnny, and Spike all want their grubby mitts on this card.
(2/3) Elegance - This card's quite wordy, but I think it gets its point across pretty well.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Hard to argue that is a mythic land.
(1/3) Balance - The mana ability here is inherently good and probably merits ETB tapped at least. The ramp aspect of this card is very very very strong since you can deliberately not pay the CU cost. While it takes time, playing this, waiting a couple of turns, and putting three or six or ten or more lands onto the battlefield for free is absurd, and the damage equal to the number of age counters is trivial at that point. At least if the damage were equal to the number of lands put on the battlefield it would be more of a risk.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - A bunch of unique touches here - probably one of the most original any-color-land designs I've seen in quite a while.
(3/3) Flavor - The Alaran Maelstrom is pretty abstract as a place but I think it can be represented as a land, and the name rolls off the tongue well and feels suitably epic.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "Cumulative upkeep" should be written as that, with that capitalization.
(0/2) Subchallenges - Is colorless and does not have any mana in its CU cost.

Total: 19.5/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Freyleyes 22
Lorn Asbord Schutta 19.5

netn10 18.5
slimytrout 18

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”