September CCL Round 3: The Mystery

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

CCL September Top 6/Round 3
"The Mystery"
In Too Deep, Murder Investigation and Lethal Scheme, by Wizards of the Coast and José Parodi, Igor Kieryluk, Tuan Duong Chu, respectively.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!
Theme

It's Mystery Story month here at the CCL. This month we will follow characters of contestants' design through they journey to uncover some thrilling secrets.

Challenge
Design an enchantment, instant or sorcery card in the same color as the Clue from the Round 2, that represents your character from Round 1 during their investigation after aquiring that Clue.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • This is flavour-mostly round; other then the color and type, there are no mechanical constraints; the challange is to make card that is both cohesive and elegant.
  • Treat both "their investigation" and "aquiring" more or less loosely; maybe your character only stumbled onto something, or maybe it was just another step forward in an ongoing chase; as long as you can make a card that shows believable progression of events, it is fine.
  • Remeber to add rarity.
Contestanst:
@CunningGabe
CunningGabe
Show
Hide
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Gorlinax, Private Eye 1GUB
Legendary Creature - Beholder (M)
All-Seeing -- Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may pay 1U. If you do, Investigate.
Suspicious Gaze -- 1B, sacrifice X Clues: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn.
On Constant Watch -- Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, you may pay 1G. If you do, untap Gorlinax and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
3/3
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Counterfeit Coin
Artifact - Treasure Clue
, Sacrifice Counterfeit Coin: Add one mana of any color.
, Sacrifice Counterfeit Coin: Draw a card.
When you sacrifice Counterfeit Coin, flip a coin. If you win the flip, return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
@slimytrout
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Mintha, Chief of the Watch 1WU
Legendary Creature — Human Soldier (R)
Flash
When Mintha, Chief of the Watch enters the battlefield, investigate.
Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.
2/3
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Secret Alcove 1W
Artifact - Clue (U)
Flash
When Secret Alcove enters the battlefield, exile up to one target creature you control until Secret Alcove leaves the battlefield.
2, Sacrifice Secret Alcove: Draw a card.
Jex strained to hear the vampires' conversation over the sound of his own heartbeat pounding in his ears.
@MonoRedMage
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Ahron, Understanding Barkeep 1R
Legendary Creature - Human Citizen {R}
Prowess, protection from Soldiers
Your opponents can't investigate.
2W: Exile another target tapped creature you control. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of your next turn's end step. When you do, investigate.
"Second room on the left. Here's your key. I swear no one will come knocking."
1/2
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Grenzo's Dossier 3R
Artifact - Clue {U}
When Grenzo's Dossier enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens.
When Grenzo's Dossier is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, it deals damage to any target equal to the number of creatures that died this turn.
2, Sacrifice Grenzo's Dossier: Draw a card.
@kwanyeegor-ii
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Dylzian, Idea Drinker 3BB
Legendary Creature - Nightmare Vampire (Rare)
At the beginning of each upkeep, investigate and you lose 1 life
Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, you may pay UR. If you do, tap up to one target permanent, then Dylzian deals 2 damage to any target
4/4
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Etched Wyvern 3RR
Artifact Creature - Clue Drake (Uncommon)
Flying, haste
When Etched Wyvern dies, create a 2/2 blue Drake creature token with flying.
2, Sacrifice Etched Wyvern: Draw a card.
Renegade magescholars use drakes coated in symbiotic arcano-armor as messengers.
3/3
@void_nothing
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Varitin, the Trilling Heron 2G
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (R)
You and legendary permanents you control have ward 1.
Whenever a legendary permanent or player becomes the target of a spell, investigate.
2W: Target Clue you control becomes a copy of target nonland permanent card in your graveyard with mana value 3 or less until end of turn. It gains haste until end of turn.
"Through me, Sigarda chronicles a better era."
2/2
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Cultcarved Gravestone 1G
Artifact - Clue (R)
Spells that are cast from graveyards cost 2 less to cast and can only be cast any time their controller could cast a sorcery. (Players can't cast spells from graveyards unless another effect causes them to.)
Whenever a card leaves a player's graveyard, that player gains 1 life.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, choose two cards in their graveyard. That player shuffles those cards into their library.
2, Sacrifice Cultcarved Gravestone: Draw a card.
@netn10
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Trigori and Sirislav of the Bureau WUUB
Legendary Creature - Human Vedalken Advisor (Mythic)
Hexproof
Whenever you draw a card or discard a card, investigate.
Whenever you sacrifice a clue, detain target nonland permanent.
The Azorius denies their existence and the Dimir denies their relationship so the Bureau of Interplanar Defense would solve crimes too hard to explain to the masses.
1/1
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Unexplained Biomass
Creature - Clue (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Unexplained Biomass is in your graveyard, discard two cards. Then, return Unexplained Biomass to the battlefield.
2, Sacrifice Unexplained Biomass: Draw a card.
"Tag it under 'things I never want to see again'"
"No, tag it under 'things that wants us to see them again and again.'"

- Trigori and Sirislav
1/1
Your submissions are due Sunday, September 25th, 12:00 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (September 1st-10th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (September 10th-19th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due September 22nd)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (September 22nd–25th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due September 28th)
  • Top 5 — Open to top 5 finishers (September 30th–October 2nd)
  • Top 5 Critiques (Due October 5th)
  • Final (October, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

The Truth Is Out There 2B
Enchantment (Mythic)
Whenever one of the following actions happens, investigate. —
Unexplained Abductions — A creature becomes exiled.
Marked Sites — A land enters the battlefield from a library.
Paranormal Activity — An noncreature permanent becomes a creature.
Make Contact — Sacrifice three Clues: If you did all of the above this turn, Create 8/12 black Alien creature token.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Violent Interrogation RR
Instant (Uncommon)
Choose target permanent you control. Until end of turn, that permanent gains "Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, if this permanent would deal damage to one or more permanents and/or players this turn, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead."
Investigate.
The magescholar was insulted by the mind-fiend's speech, and began to walk away. Dylzian suddenly had no other choices.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Scrutinize 1B
Sorcery (U)
Choose target opponent. If you control a Beholder, choose each opponent instead. Look at each chosen player's hand, then choose one --
* Choose a creature or artifact card in that player's hand. That player discards that card.
* That player loses 2 life. Investigate.
After he started his investigation, Gorlinax kept his eye on everybody - and still had some to spare.
Last edited by CunningGabe 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Dawn Raid 1W
Sorcery (U)
Exile target artifact, enchantment, or black permanent.
With a powerful kick, Mintha blew the door off its hinges, allowing sunlight -- and watchmen -- to stream into the vampires' hideout.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Ancient Consultation 5G
Instant (R)
Choose two permanent types. Exchange up to one card in your hand of the first chosen type with one in your graveyard and up to one card in your hand of the second chosen type with one you own on the battlefield.
Flashback 5W
Varitin meditated on the glyphs, recalling similar ones he had seen in a ruin long ago.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Frantic Collation R
Enchantment {R}
Clues you control have "1R, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw four cards, then discard three cards at random."
Ahron penned dozens of letters to his contacts up and down Paliano, seeking anyone who would have any ideas about goblin lore.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

And the round is closed!
Please critique other submissions and provide a top 3.
Four contestants with the highest score for this round will advance to round 4.
The critique period is due to September 28th, 12:00 EST, Wednesday

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

crits
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Enchantment (Mythic)
Make Contact — Sacrifice three Clues: If you did all of the above this turn, Create 8/12 black Alien creature token.
the wording is pretty loose but obviously i understand what this card is supposed to do... so it feels like a playtest card or a non acorn Unfinity card but its super creative, the flavor is perfect, and it looks like the best possible payoff for a specific deck
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Scrutinize 1B
Sorcery (U)
Choose target opponent. If you control a Beholder, choose each opponent instead. Look at each chosen player's hand, then choose one --
* Choose a creature or artifact card in that player's hand. That player discards that card.
* That player loses 2 life. Investigate.
After he started his investigation, Gorlinax kept his eye on everybody - and still had some to spare.
definitely meant for a multiplayer set. I like both of the effect options and I think it would always be useful but it would make you a serious enemy in an edh game even for this small type of effect lol
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Dawn Raid 1W
Sorcery (U)
With a powerful kick, Mintha blew the door off its hinges, allowing sunlight -- and watchmen -- to stream into the vampires' hideout.
A nice color hoser. super elegant and I actually would want to see the rest of the cycle this card came from (the blue card that hosed red, black card hosing green, etc)
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Ancient Consultation 5G
Instant (R)
Choose two permanent types. Exchange up to one card in your hand of the first chosen type with one in your graveyard and up to one card in your hand of the second chosen type with one you own on the battlefield.
Flashback 5W
Varitin meditated on the glyphs, recalling similar ones he had seen in a ruin long ago.
Really interesting and flexible card, feels like "equivalent exchange". but at six mana I think its too expensive even as an instant
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Frantic Collation R
Enchantment {R}
Clues you control have "1R, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw four cards, then discard three cards at random."
Ahron penned dozens of letters to his contacts up and down Paliano, seeking anyone who would have any ideas about goblin lore.
Hmm a definite card for johnny. I think this would be best to use to keep triggering effects that trigger on you drawing a card. But this is good design space
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 netn10
3 voidnothing
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
netn10 - This is a gimmicky card for sure, and the templating feels very influenced by Unfinity. But at the same time, I can't help but love it. It's just so different and fun and I would love to beat face with those Alien tokens.

kwanyeegor-ii - Hard to evaluate and a definite Jxnny card - and one that goes particularly well with your first round legend. I think this is well-thought-out.

CunningGabe - There are some wording/templating issues here involving the timing of mode choices - ones that could be solved with, of all things, a reflexive triggered ability. Feels like a lost Battle for Baldur's Gate card and I still love the Gorlinax character so much.

slimytrout - Simple, concise, effective, incredible flavor. I can't ask for much more here.

MonoRedMage - I see what you did there. Interesting if maybe not super practical.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. netn10
3. CunningGabe
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Enchantment (Mythic)
Some minor templating issues (e.g. Make Contact needs to be separated from the other 3 modes) but otherwise this is a fun, flavorful quest.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Violent Interrogation RR
Instant (Uncommon)
Choose target permanent you control. Until end of turn, that permanent gains "Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, if this permanent would deal damage to one or more permanents and/or players this turn, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead."
Investigate.
The magescholar was insulted by the mind-fiend's speech, and began to walk away. Dylzian suddenly had no other choices.
This is interesting, though a little niche. I do like the idea of finding a permanent that pings multiple things at once to get the most value out of this.
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Dawn Raid 1W
Sorcery (U)
The flavor text is great! This is solid, but not particularly innovative.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Ancient Consultation 5G
Instant (R)
Flashback 5W
This is one of those cards that you have to stare at for a while before you really appreciate it. It's part Rescue, part Regrowth, part discard outlet, part Eureka - and I think when it hits it'll feel great. (Even "Rescue + cheat something into play" isn't bad!)
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Frantic Collation R
Enchantment {R}
I like how this sort of "upgrades" your clues. I'd be inclined to tone it down - I think it still seems like a nice upgrade if it is draw 3 discard 2.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. void_nothing
3. kwanyeegor-ii
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

Lorn Asbord Schutta

There will be a one day extension - 29th September, 12:00 EST, Thursday.
If you cannot make for any reason critiques, at least provide a top 3.
@slimytrout @netn10 @MonoRedMage

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Just a top 3:

1 - CunningGabe
2 - kwanyeegor-ii
3 - slimytrout

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

T3 for now:
1. CunningGabe
2. netn10
3. MonoRedMage

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The round is closed, I am sorry for the delay.
Those contestants advance to round 4:
CunningGabe
slimytrout
netn10
kwanyeegor-ii
void_nothing
Despite it being a top 4 round, we will have five contestants due to tie for the fourth place.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”