netn10
38%

Total votes: 8

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

It's time to vote for the winner of the August CCL! Remember, you can vote no matter whether or not you participated in the month of August as a contestant. Here is the final round challenge:
Design five monocolored creature cards. Each of them must be a different color and a different one of these creature types:
• Ape
• Badger
• Crab
• Dinosaur
• Egg
And here are the entries:
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Imperial Mount 2W
Creature - Dinosaur (Rare)
Vigilance
Whenever a creature you control explores, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
3/3

Clicking Cancrix 3U
Creature - Crab (Uncommon)
At the beginning of your upkeep, target player mills two cards.
When Clicking Cancrix leaves the battlefield, for each player with eight or more cards in their graveyard, return up to one target nonland permanent that player controls to its owner's hand.
1/4

Sinister Egg 2BB
Creature - Nightmare Egg (Rare)
When Sinister Egg dies, choose one
- Create a 2/2 black Nightmare Dragon creature token with flying, first strike, and "B: This creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn"
- Create a 4/4 black Nightmare Snake creature token with deathtouch and lifelink
0/3

Kird Silverback 5R
Creature - Ape (Uncommon)
Haste
Kird Silverback gets +1/+1 for each land you control that isn't a basic Mountain.
4/5

Secretive Badger 1GG
Creature - Badger (Rare)
Hexproof
When Secretive Badger enters the battlefield, you may have target opponent draw a card. When you do, search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle.
2/3
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Chicken Egg W
Artifact Creature - Food Egg (Uncommon)
Chicken Egg can't attack or block.
Tap an untapped Chicken you control, Sacrifice Chicken Egg: Create a 2/2 white Chicken creature token.
2, T, Sacrifice Chicken Egg: You gain 3 life.
0/1

Collector of Past's Deeds 2U
Creature - Crab (Mythic)
You may activate t abilities of creatures you own in your graveyard as though as they were on the battlefield.
T: Draw a card, then discard a card.
1/3

Weaponsmith's Pet bb
Deathtouch, lifelink
Artifacts you control named Heart-Piercer Bow and Vial of Dragonfire have deathtouch and lifelink.
2/2

Magmatic Earth-Scorcher 3RR
Creature - Dinosaur (Mythic)
Whenever Magmatic Earth-Scorcher attacks, each player sacrifices four lands and Magmatic Earth-Scorcher deals 4 damage to each other creature.
4/4

Sagovian Badger 3g
Creature - Badger (Common)
Minimize G (You may cast this spell for its minimize cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with "This creature has base power and toughness 1/1" on it.)
Trample
4/4
Poll will run for five days. Good luck to both contestants?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Less than a day now remains to vote!

Here are my takes on the cards:

kwanyeegor-ii - Imperial Mount looks narrow but fine. I don't think explore go wide.dek was ever a thing but this might be the kind of keystone it would need. The flavor is nice as well. Clicking Cancrix is interesting - this feels like a Modern Horizons uncommon and I think it's referencing that Rogue theme from Zendikar Rising. Certainly not the biggest effect but it could be an impact player in some games. Sinister Egg is fun - both tokens will probably be relevant. Kird Silverback looks possibly too easy to make too big? Yes, it's six mana, but a creature of that size with haste can feel a little "oops I win." Secretive Badger feels... oddly familiar? I'd swear a creature existed with an effect like this I just can't remember what it is.

netn10 - Chicken Egg feels silver-bordered - especially since Chicken is, well, Bird in regular Magic. It's a two-"mode" Food which is just fine. Collector of Past Deeds is a rule's manager's nightmare and probably leads to degenerate combos (mill your deck, activate every land's ability?) but it's just so, so cool and the idea of breaking it is way too appealing. Weaponsmith's Pet is just smart design, I have to say - Renowned Weaponsmith can lend itself to a whole theme! Magmatic Earth-Scorcher is big and splashy but also probably miserable in some ways because of constantly 'geddoning the board. It should probably damage players as well just so it brings the game to a guaranteed close one way or the other. Segovian Badger has a clever keyword - one people like to custom-design in parallel to each other - and I like seeing a common in the finals!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Imperial Mount 2W
Creature - Dinosaur (Rare)
Vigilance
Whenever a creature you control explores, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
3/3
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Magmatic Earth-Scorcher 3RR
Creature - Dinosaur (Mythic)
Whenever Magmatic Earth-Scorcher attacks, each player sacrifices four lands and Magmatic Earth-Scorcher deals 4 damage to each other creature.
4/4
I think, should I need to choose a secondary color for explore, I would rather go with red then white. Otherwise Imperial Mount is absolutely a fine card. In limited it would be similiar in power-level to Benalish Marshal - anthem is conditional, but it gives it to itself, has vigilance and a cost that easier to stomach. In constructed, where it is easier to get multiple triggers, it could become a centerpiece for a deck - if it was back in the days of Ixalan, some janky WB to both use black repeatable explore and WB Vampire tokens to go-wide could be possible. It could affort for some flavor text, though.
Magmatic Earth-Scorcher sounds and plays more like a Dragon then a Dinosaur, maybe except lacking flying. I know that Dinosaurs where used as not!Dragons, but outside of Etali, Primal Storm red Dinosaurs where much more down to earth in flavour then Dragons. Likewise, this does not seem to be an Ikoria Dinosaur, since it would have some random types added. In terms of mechanics, Wildfire on stick - with no haste, though - sounds to me like something that could work, but I think decks wanting to use Wildfire would not like to wait a turn and maybe whiff and this effect is not something you can put in any deck and be merry.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Clicking Cancrix 3U
Creature - Crab (Uncommon)
At the beginning of your upkeep, target player mills two cards.
When Clicking Cancrix leaves the battlefield, for each player with eight or more cards in their graveyard, return up to one target nonland permanent that player controls to its owner's hand.
1/4
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Collector of Past's Deeds 2U
Creature - Crab (Mythic)
You may activate t abilities of creatures you own in your graveyard as though as they were on the battlefield.
T: Draw a card, then discard a card.
1/3
Admittedly, some Crabs have a strange mechanical connection to milling, which would probably be the only other repeated idea in their design outside of low power/high toughness. Futhermore, I have a serious dearth of knowledge regarding crustaceans, so I may missing something obvious or clever. But both designs seem strange to me, flavourly speaking. Clicking Cancrix a little bit less, since zendikari Crabs are tied to milling, but I have no idea why a Crab collects deeds of the Past. If Collector had typeline Cleric or Warlock and was flavoured as a necromancer in more classical sense, Book of Samuel or Odyssey style, I would not bat an eye, maybe even love it. But as a Crab... Why?
As for the mechanical side, Clicking Cancrix is a workable uncommon - and possible win condition in limited - that is a little bland, however. The triggered ability means that the play patterns would be tacticaly investing, at least. Collector of Past's Deeds on the other hand has both strategic and tactical depth and is a nice spin on creature reanimation. It probably should be worded in different way - I have no idea, if it allows me to play any activated ability with , or maybe only those that have no other symbols. Activated ability of Collector points toward latter, but I am not sure.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Sinister Egg 2BB
Creature - Nightmare Egg (Rare)
When Sinister Egg dies, choose one
- Create a 2/2 black Nightmare Dragon creature token with flying, first strike, and "B: This creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn"
- Create a 4/4 black Nightmare Snake creature token with deathtouch and lifelink
0/3
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Chicken Egg W
Artifact Creature - Food Egg (Uncommon)
Chicken Egg can't attack or block.
Tap an untapped Chicken you control, Sacrifice Chicken Egg: Create a 2/2 white Chicken creature token.
2, T, Sacrifice Chicken Egg: You gain 3 life.
0/1
Sinister Egg looks much more efficient then its inspiration - what I assume at least - Dragon Egg. I understand it is rare and costs one more, but between better bodies, choice between them and the fact its black - which gives ample opportunities to hatch it without opponent's help - it feels somewhat overwhelming. Obviously, the increased power level gives it access to some tricks old dragon could only hope to achieve. I think again - as in Imperial Mount - short flavour text would be a nice addition.
For the Chicken Egg scryfall search returns only this as a Chicken creature. And outside - maybe - Un-sets chances are that Chicken will never become anything more then a Bird. The story told here is obvious and mechanically this is servicable, but without anything interesting.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Kird Silverback 5R
Haste
Kird Silverback gets +1/+1 for each land you control that isn't a basic Mountain.
4/5
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Weaponsmith's Pet bb
Deathtouch, lifelink
Artifacts you control named Heart-Piercer Bow and Vial of Dragonfire have deathtouch and lifelink.
2/2
Kird Silverback is too strong. Even in limited there would be people who would not play a singular mountain in their decks and maybe not a single other red card, only to win out of nowhere with a hasty creature that grows way too fast. And in constructed it would certainly be at least 10/11 at the time of casting. It should be probably either "for each land with a different name" - still strong in constructed, but now it would not wreck limited as an uncommon(!) - "for each basic land other then basic Mountain" - now it is still a first pick in limited, but its constructed value drops - or "for each basic Mountain" - but then the Kird Ape shout-out would not work - or finally "for each Forest" - and I am not sure how it would fare now.
Can Weaponsmith's own pet make his creations actually worthwhile? I think there is at least a chance now. However, once again I do not get the flavour. Why an ape - not zombie ape - has lifelink? The deathtouch is partially understandable, if you ever had displeasure of fighting with monkeys. But even then, how it actually enhances the artifacts?
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Secretive Badger 1GG
Creature - Badger (Rare)
Hexproof
When Secretive Badger enters the battlefield, you may have target opponent draw a card. When you do, search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle.
2/3
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Sagovian Badger 3g
Creature - Badger (Common)
Minimize G (You may cast this spell for its minimize cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with "This creature has base power and toughness 1/1" on it.)
Trample
4/4
While making a Badger white would be strange indeed, when I read the ETB ability I cannot shake the feeling that it is much closer to what white is supposed to do. Obviously better in multiplayer, where - with correct board asessment and some politicking - it comes much closer to ramping Sylvan Scrying on a decent body. I am not sure if this should not actually have "basic" clause.
Segovian Badger is perfect. An alternative casting that ties nicely into Segovia quirk and has a room to provide different spins on itself in terms of mechanics. Also a very elegant common showcasing set's mechanic.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our winner is @kwanyeegor-ii! Congratulations!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”