Ao - Low curve sac.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Ok, the main idea of this deck is primarily to see if it can get into a recursion loop with the commander and use that to generate card advantage. Lots of the cards in the deck that he can hit can set him up for additional abuse. I haven't played it yet so its mostly theorycraft but I figure it can be a little bit of a voltron or go wide concept as if you get enough into play you can start using him as an anthem although I really didn't set him up with much token generation I figure I will just see if that does anything or not. There are only a few dedicated voltron equipment I just want to start out by seing how viable of an engine the commander is and see where I go from there.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

INSTANT (2)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ok, just some general outlines here. I did play this deck and it can be kind of fun but it feels like it does everything or it does nothing and that seems to be heavily dependent on if and when it finds Lifeline and Gift of Immortality. Those games where I got those set up and they weren't immediately answered I won very hard but it also takes a lot of time to spin all of the permutants into play and then kill my opponents where it could walk into a wrath for everything and I would have a problem rebuilding as I strip mine the hell out of my deck to set up a lethal boardstate in a lot of cases.

Some broad strokes on my changes, I killed the lifegain one drop creatures package and found a few one drop creatures that had some pay mana and sac a creature to increase my sac outlet density. I didn't record those changes here but I have felt they were fairly good even though Martyred Rusalka and Caregiver seem kind of not good they have been somewhat positive here.

I make this post mostly because I am not really sure if I continue with this deck. I don't think its a bad deck its just not as interesting or fun as I had been hoping for as a sac based white deck tends to be something I am interested in but the number of moving parts feels a little high for this deck to really thrive.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

FWIW, MTGGoldfish recently featured a cEDH build of Ao that may be worth taking a look at. The main combo there is Ashnod's Altar + Ao + Nim Deathmantle, as it is here, but it's digging to Leonin Relic-Warder + Mana Vault and Relic Vial as its win condition. As a result, it's less focused on beatdown, and more on generating value / digging to its combo. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but could be worth consideration.

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
FWIW, MTGGoldfish recently featured a cEDH build of Ao that may be worth taking a look at. The main combo there is Ashnod's Altar + Ao + Nim Deathmantle, as it is here, but it's digging to Leonin Relic-Warder + Mana Vault and Relic Vial as its win condition. As a result, it's less focused on beatdown, and more on generating value / digging to its combo. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but could be worth consideration.
I do run the deathmantle / ashnods setup but mostly because outside of the combo I think they are desirable cards for this concept, it does need to hit some creature production as well which could possibly be achieved continuously via Genesis Chamber beyond hitting a low cost creature every trigger or delving into a bunch of token things. I really don't like infinite combos and while I won't completely refuse to execute them I generally try to avoid building in a way that its my goal. In a lot of cases I do opt to not execute infinite combos if I can help it just because I don't like winning that way.

I really don't think that mono white is very good to step up into a category of playing infinite combos just because it doesn't really have good tools to fight a lot of the better combo concepts and its not generally that fast at doing them. In my opinion if you want to play infinite combo concepts you generally want to be able to be fastest or have some scrappyness in the form of counter spells and better tutors. Mono white is cool it just doesn't really have much of a horse in the game when you step up to running against other combo strategies so my own take is that there isn't really a reason to run it because you are either beating up on people with worse decks than yours or you don't really have a very good chance of winning. It is possible that some of the better, faster, or more consistent combo strategies could be mono white I just think you probably need a lot of speed and resiliency for that to come up because not having much on tutors and limited access to counter magic isn't a small loss. This is just my own personal $0.02 but I think if you are going to move to full combo tactics in mono white it needs to be because you love a concept rather than it being an optimal life choice.
I am planning on putting this one away so I am not going to run through all of your suggestions but really I think that most 0-2 cmc permenants that can be fetched by Ao are fairly reasonable. Having played the deck some I don't think Mother of Runes is actually that useful just because most of the time I am sacificing Ao anyways so removal doesn't really pose much so it would be possible that it would be more for pushing for damage rather than protecting which I think is..... ok but not really why I would want to run those cards.

The tutors for the key cards is valid.... I just think I am done with this concept.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

@ISBPathfinder Sad to see another concept sent to the great recycling bin in the sky, but hey, maybe circle back to Raffine and help me develop the concept more? I'm sure there's breakthroughs yet to make and the gameplay is oh so clean and efficient as you know.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
@ISBPathfinder Sad to see another concept sent to the great recycling bin in the sky, but hey, maybe circle back to Raffine and help me develop the concept more? I'm sure there's breakthroughs yet to make and the gameplay is oh so clean and efficient as you know.
I always have more projects and not all of my projects even end up as digital lists lol. I scraped together a Azor, the Lawbringer less lands concept thats a control / ramp shell trying to interact more with some combo decks I occasionally have in my new mets. I then also made a Orah, Skyclave Hierophant cleric tribal sac chain concept. And I also dusted off my Squee, the Immortal deck and updated it somewhat. I need to get some of the concepts up on here but some of it was also me not really knowing what was going to stick and just throwing some stuff together based on what I had on hand and seeing where it would go. I also have some thoughts that I want to dust off my Rebels and play it a few times if for no other reason to show off the sweet alters a few times to the new metas I play in lol.

I think Raffine is amazing and its possible it could play against some of the combo decks that I play against but I am also leery of trying to push for faster concepts than what I am seeing as is. I would rather try to slow them down than see if I can out race the combo players because I don't think an arms race mentality is something I want to participate with. I also think that Raffine is very commander centric and it could be very challenging to play into heavy counter magic and spot removal concepts with him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”