[Wulfgar] Trying to make updates to my Attackharmonicon deck.

ForsakenM
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by ForsakenM » 1 year ago

Decklist link here! https://www.moxfield.com/decks/37XG3HQnXkW8PuY8-phpfA

I tried getting some advice from the EDH subReddit but it seems to be mostly about discussion and not deck tech or deckbuilding help.

The issue I'm having is that I'm not sure what to cut for some newer additions. My theme is that I want EVERYTHING in the deck to be based off attacking, from my ramp to my card draw to buffing...literally, EVERYTHING will be done via turning my creatures sideways. I know that it's not as optimal as it could be, but I'm not worried about running the generic goodstuff all that much and am okay with having my deck lowered in power because of that.

The cards I'm currently looking at adding are:
Now it's really hard for me to make a cut here, but there are some cards I'm looking at cutting. Currently, my focus is on how strong a card is both on its own in addition to when Wulfgar of Icewind Dale is in play, but I'm not counting any other pieces or synergies at this moment. Thus, if a card is strong on it's own and just gets better with my commander and other pieces, that's good...but if it my commander NEEDS to be in play or it needs other bits from the 99 to really do anything, that is a concern and places it in this list.

Cards I'm currently considering cutting:
I'm also interested in seeing what you guys think should be inclusions to the deck that I may be missing.

If you want to see my reasonings that may be dumb or w/e, feel free to check here below! Otherwise, I appreciate the support!
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Cemetery Prowler - Now this cost reduction is better than what is offered by the next card in line, but the issue here is there have to be cards in graveyards to benefit from this in the first place and my deck doesn't run instants or sorceries, so this may not be something that applies in a useful manner as frequently. However, I added it mainly for the graveyard hate to have a tool against reanimator decks, and my playgroup favors as Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck that heavily leans on reanimation, so this card would be INCREDIBLE against that deck. I'm just worried there might be better options and that the usefulness of the card may not shine as it should.

Cheering Fanatic - At best I will be reducing a card's cost by 2 or two cards by 1, which while nothing to sneeze at, would have me effectively revealing cards in my hand to do so. I also feel as though the other mana generators in the deck can produce enough mana in various ways to outpace this easily.

Conduit of Storms // Conduit of Emrakul - Once transformed getting a max of 4 colorless mana in my pool isn't bad, but I would prefer getting colored mana instead, and the investment to bring the creature online to really contribute doesn't seem worth it compared to other creatures that produce mana upon attack.

Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma - This card does work well in this deck, but from what I counted and, not counting Goreclaw herself or other creatures I'm considering for the chopping block, it's a solid 15 creatures that would benefit from her first ability...out of 45 creatures...in a 99 card deck. Considering the cost reduction is static and can't be boosted via the deck's main mechanic, and the most I can get from her attack trigger is +2/+2 and providing trample twice to each creature I control that qualifies. Even with the multiple buffs to power and +1/+1 counter placement in the deck to make this work on my whole board, I think the rest of the deck provides more of what this card does with fewer conditions. If you guys heavily suggest cutting other bigger creatures, then she would be even less useful.

Kessig Naturalist // Lord of the Ulvenwald - This card will never provide more than 2 mana in this deck, and the transformed side is great for a more tribal deck, but that's not what we are rocking here.

Stonebrow, Krosan Hero - A great tribal Commander, the issue here is that the most he will buff is +4/+4 for the turn, and it has the condition of only applying to creatures with trample. Now I DO have a number of effects to provide trample, but I've had more than one game played where I got Stonebrow and no way to give my board trample. Even with the updates to dig through the deck, the focus is on nabbing creatures and not necessarily ways to provide trample. Other creatures have better buff potential without this condition.

Targ Nar, Demon-Fang Gnoll - This card seemed like it was a good idea in early building, but it just falls behind other creatures of its kind, and I'm considering removing creatures who provide more than what this does. Maxing out at +2/+0, being able to double P/T for a turn could be a power play in the right circumstances, but feels like a waste of mana for the activation with the buffs this deck can churn out.

Argentum Armor - It has a high mana value and a high equip cost, and while this deck could likely afford it, I feel as though the attack proc being at best destroying two targets may not be worth the investment. It is one of my only forms of removal though, so I'm struggling with this one.

Armory of Iroas - While strong and working with themes and mechanics of the deck, it would only apply to the creature that's equipped and doesn't do more unlike Sword of Hours. This card still feels like it would be very strong.

Esika's Chariot - So the struggle here is that outside of the cats it brings with it, I have very few ways to make any creature tokens. In fact, the deck only has 14 ways of making ANY sort of tokens, from copies to Servo tokens I never plan on making, and of course Treasure tokens. Thus, crewing this would be more often targeting Treasure tokens than anything else, which seems pretty good, and it working in tandem with Helm of the Host would be bonkers. I'm just debating on whether or not it's worth playing as it feels like it's better in a token-themed deck than in this one.

Bear Umbra - While very strong, with all the other forms up mana generation in the deck I don't find it to be something to be too useful. Sure, it can theoretically proc twice, but I have little to nothing to put that mana into honestly so a good chunk of the mana would be lost if I tapped all my lands prior to the second trigger. With so many creatures in r/G that provide mana during combat and make sure you don't lose it until end of turn, I feel like I should have plenty of mana.

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”