Mutate Question

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

If I have a Tome of Legends and then mutate my commander Vadrok, Apex of Thunder in, does it count as my commander entering for the Tome? Generally mutate is not considered an ETB trigger so I am just curious what the interaction there is.

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 1 year ago
No, you do not place a page counter as the ability does not trigger. A spell cast for its mutate cost never results in that spell becoming a new permanent and entering the battlefield; instead, it becomes part of an existing non-Human creature you own, even when that spell card is your commander.

However, a creature with one or more creature cards merged onto it is a commander if any one of those cards is a commander (CR 903.3c), but only the commander card can be chosen to move to the command zone if that creature leaves the battlefield.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

No, you do not place a page counter as the ability does not trigger. A spell cast for its mutate cost never results in that spell becoming a new permanent and entering the battlefield; instead, it becomes part of an existing non-Human creature you own, even when that spell card is your commander.

However, a creature with one or more creature cards merged onto it is a commander if any one of those cards is a commander (CR 903.3c), but only the commander card can be chosen to move to the command zone if that creature leaves the battlefield.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”