The Community Deck Build Project v3.0

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Can someone refresh my memory as to what @duducrash's suggested ramp package actually was?
I read it as Sol Ring, Orzhov Signet and Talisman of Hierarchy.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Well those are some easy yays. Both plowshares and whisper.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
Night's Whisper is a card that reminds me of my opinion on Arcum's Astrolabe. It's generic card draw, once. Honestly I still think that something like Wall of Omens is better, despite being fewer cards by itself. If we're sacrifice looping, then having draw on low MV creatures to recycle is good. I think nay on Night's Whisper.
I'm not sure I agree with the reasoning. It's a simple +1 card advantage spell for cheap. Would you not play ponder, preordain, and opt in a u deck? Of course not. These simple, humble spells are our brainstorms, not everything can be a haymaker. You have to have ways to get to where you can cast the haymakers no? Basically, unlike the astrolabe discussion, there's no opportunity to this. It's 1B to go +1 card in hand. No conditions, no hoops, just pure card advantage.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
Would you not play ponder, preordain, and opt in a u deck?
In all honesty, yeah this is exactly me. I think I only have one u deck that runs, maybe two of those? I'll play those in Talrand, Sky Summoner, but not Teferi, Temporal Archmage. I'll play them in spellslinging Riku of Two Reflections but play Cerulean Wisps in an Orvar, the All-Form oriented deck. I think at last count I have ~30 active blue decks right now and I run only 1 of those cards in maybe 5 of those decks?

I just don't play this type of card much in my decks, instead playing less efficient or good options that do more if my deck is online. There's nothing *wrong* with these cards, they're great; but it's like comparing Expedite to Faithless Looting in a Zada, Hedron Grinder deck. I feel like the slot can be used for "more".
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
Night's Whisper, I'm less high on. It's cheap, but it only draws 2, and only does so once. Personally, I'd far rather something that costs a bit more but provides either a bigger burst of draw or a more continuous engine. A Phyrexian Arena, Damnable Pact, or Cut of the Profits; something like that. Nay to Night's Whisper. I just don't feel like it does enough to deserve the slot compared to other options, even for being 2 CMC.
I think we call this greed, right? Not that players don't fall into this trap in all manner of play, I can't see ever wanting to wait to pay four+ to draw on my own turn (which is how much it takes for damnable pact to equal night's whisper), so you're wanting to tap out on t5 just to see more cards than this two mv spell? I don't think this is the comparison you want to make (at least skeletal scrying is an instant). I at least understanding wanting to draw lots of cards, but just how often do you need to draw 5+ in a game? At that point, the recently mentioned Promise of Power from RCotD at least has a much more favourable rate. And that's a fun card! But playing these big x spells and then seeing them early when they're useless is a missed opportunity, from where I'm sitting.

Idk, maybe it's me. I see so many players at tables hellbent and clamouring desperately for any new card off their top decks while even in my r decks I'm not dipping to even sub three cards before t8 minimum. Running games off 4-5 lands and using mana efficiently as I go, so maybe it is a me issue as a boomer player that's careful and conscious with my curve that just doesn't get zoomer ideologies and modern play.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Whoops, lost my train of thought.

So Night's Whisper and Swords to Plowshares have been confirmed in, despite some well-worded arguments of contention in the case of the draw spell. Let's put @RxPhantom and @duducrash on the clock, with the expectation that we're looking to shore up a grievous lack of instant speed interaction.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I put Night's whisper in every black deck. The card is good. 2 mana draw 2 is great.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Night's Whisper belongs in any deck that can run and isn't U or G probably. Easy yay.
Swords to Plowshares premier removal. yay

so, I was pretty sure by the time my pick would be here I would select Hidden Stockpile as a revolt Enabler/Payoff, Nihil Spellbomb as a easy revolt trigger that cantrips and is graveyard hate or Giada, Font of Hope as angelbeats.

But I think @3drinks is right we are light on interaction. Instant speed or not and we will probably need grind games to win. I'll nominate Anguished Unmaking as my pick for today. Preferably altered art because we should have been adding angels and now here I am killing one. It's premier removal at instand speed. It doesn't make a summer by itself but it is nice

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Interaction? Interaction?! I really wanted to get Blinding Angel in there because I think she's a cool, dark horse flummoxer of redzone strategies, but we need some interaction do we???? Hmmmm....

I'm gonna go with Aura of Silence|54599. It taxes our opponents' stuff, and we can always save it to blow up something. The best part of it is that it often keeps artifacts and enchantment off the battlefield because players not only want to avoid the tax, but they don't want to get their thing smashed.

EDIT: yay for Anguished Unmaking.

@duducrash: we can use this one:
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dunharrow

Yay anguished unmaking
Aura of silence is fine, I would have preferred Cathar Commando. I think instant-speed + can be recurred make it an improvement, though we lose the taxing.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Yay to both
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Yea Anguished Unmaking for interaction.

I like Aura of Silence, but I agree that I would prefer to try for creatures over noncreatures as the on-board removal slots. I'm going to nay Aura of Silence for similar reasons to my nay earlier on Night's Whisper; it's a great card but a similar option like the above Cathar Commando that can be used more than once is my preference.
Commander Decks

Dunharrow

@Crazy Monkey that's a good point on Nights whisper, there is an argument to be made for an ETB draw a card creature that can draw many cards over the course of the game. There are a few good ones.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I'm pretty high on anguished unmaking though unexpectedly absent is typically better, no? It's still strong though so yay. I'm just glad you didn't try to land Despark in there 😂

I like Aura of Silence. I do agree the aforementioned Cathar's Commando is better in this deck yeah? There's probably room for both though. Yay unless we want to change course and go commando.

duducrash
Still Learning

I like Aura of Silence a lot yay. enjoyers of taxes unite

3drinks

Anguished Unmaking is a yay. Aura of Silence is also good enough to get yay'd.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Side note, in spinning the random wheel for today's RCotD, I came across Shambling Swarm. If you stack it's dies trigger appropriately with undying triggers, this is a self-fulfilling interaction. I thought that was pretty neat.

So Anguished Unmaking and Aura of Silence are confirmed. Today we'll put @Crazy Monkey and @aliciaofthevast on the clock. Of note, we're most lacking in CA and instant speed interaction, so let's focus on these two areas!

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I was planning to nominate Wall of Omens or Spirited Companion, but did a search to make sure there wasn't a better option that I didn't remember. For that reason, I nominate Inspiring Overseer because creature types matter in this deck. It's less effecient than I wanted, but much easier and more likely to loop for 2+ cards.
Commander Decks

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

I bet Dictate of Erebos will really do heavy lifting for us. Yeah, dictate, final answer! 😀

I think that overseer is a good low key shout! Like our own elvish visionary. That's a yay.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Yay to Inspiring Overseer a more cautious yay to Dictate of Erebos.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Yea to both. Nice picks!

duducrash
Still Learning

An angel and an effect that makes everyone else miserable? Today must be one of the best days

Edit: yay to both

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I'll also yea Dictate of Erebos, with similar hesitancy to others. It can definitely be a blowout when played right and we're planning on sacrifice loops so it pulls its weight. It's also a 5 MV spell with a big target on it for any creature based decks.
Commander Decks

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

Yea to Inspiring Overseer. An angel we can loop that will draw cards? Awesome.

A much less enthusiastic yea to Dictate of Erebos. There's no reason not to run it, really, except that it can be a pretty miserable card to play against and raises our threat profile considerably. Worth it, but it's still going to be annoying, and for that reason, I'm less eager to run it.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

3drinks

Inspiring Overseer and Dictate of Erebos have been confirmed.

We're at 55/64 cards and have four instants. That's clearly a problem and all future picks should be aimed at instant speed interaction so we have a reasonable chance of seeing some. @Jemolk and @Legend are on the clock.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

I am very happy Inspiring Angel made it into the deck

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”