The Community Deck Build Project v3.0

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

I'd like to propose a small ramp package. People like to give their votes to cool stuff, so some core stuff is left out sometimes. I'd like to put up the idea of a package with staple ramp up for consideration outside regular voting hours. Maybe with Sol Ring Arcane Signet Orzhov Signet and Talisman of Hierarchy

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I don't understand the seemingly arbitrary nature of deciding who's on the clock. I frankly don't want to spend time discussing other people's picks while never being able to submit one. Some people have gone twice since I had a shot. It kills my enthusiasm. Maybe I'll see you all on v4.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

My guess is that it has to do with thread participation? I dunno, though.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Paradise Mantle and KotWO have both been confirmed.

I'm gonna put @duducrash and @Henlock on the clock, with the understanding that we're still looking for ramp and fixing cards. Especially if they're equipment cards.
Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
As for Knight of the White Orchid, though, I'm much less sold on it. A strong card, to be sure, but if it's ever doing the undying thing, that means we've already got our engine online in general, and by that point I can think of plenty of things that would be more valuable than conditionally ramping one plains at a time, including a simple Solemn Simulacrum loop that would unconditionally ramp out basics and also draw cards. Knight is a 2-drop, at least, though, and we do want creatures. Ah, what the heck. Yea.
I think there's room for both tbh. Gone are the days where Sad Bot was a $15 chase card.
Last edited by 3drinks 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

duducrash
Still Learning

For my pick Im going to say Sword of the Animist as it is ramp and it is an equipment.

Id like to bring attention to the ramp package I mentioned before as a potential include.

@RxPhantom does have a point. Maybe c4 we could have a weekly schedule posted on monday. It would save @3drinks of having to chose daily and not rosk someone not logging in for a specific day ajd losing their nomination

3drinks

I also agree with that. I thought I could just nominate people I haven't chose in a couple days, but this has been a bit rough to keep with.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I am really medium on sword of the animist. 4 mana is a lot to get the first land. At least sad robot can be looped around for card draw... and at last it ramps by itself.
If we need lands they can just kill our creatures and we get no ramp.

I won't vote yet, I think I will wait to see some arguments.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

duducrash
Still Learning

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I won't vote yet, I think I will wait to see some arguments.
I don't have much of a defense to be honest. I think we lowkey are all over the place. We have reanimate built in, we like tappers, vehicles, angels and equipment. We are facing battle in more fronts than expected. So I think my reasoning was to do find something that fills more than one need. We want equipments and we definitely want ramp. so since we lack a bit of focus, stuff that do two or more things sound nice IMHO.

I was debating Hopeful Initiate as a pick to move the +1/+1 counters, but I think we need to focus on what we have going on

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

I really love Sword of the Animist. It just ramps so much over the course of a game. It's got a pretty notable initial investment to start ramping, but then it just keeps ramping continuously. I've heavily outramped green decks in Boros and Azorius decks thanks to that sword. It's an extremely powerful effect in grindy games, and arguably one of the most powerful ramp spells ever printed. Yes, I'd put it up there with Smothering Tithe. Yea.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Sword of the Animist Yay. It's objectively good any deck that attacks. As an aside, I won a draft on the back of Sword of the Animist. It was a real sleeper card at the time. Not anymore.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

I was going to nominate priest of gix for a piecw of ramp on undying,.but I will go with Sword of Hearth and Home.as it ticks a couple of boxes by triggering revolt and.ramping. Prowhite is nice since it lets our creature dodge several removal staples.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

I'll absolutely yea Sword of Hearth and Home, for much the same reasons as I did Sword of the Animist. It's stronger, but also slightly more expensive to cast, which, when we're talking about ramp, evens out somewhat. It also requires the creature to connect, rather than merely attack. Not sure which I'd treat as copy #2 of the other, but they're both very good and worth including.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Yes to SoHaH
Never saw this card before actually. I like it a lot in this deck.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Looks like both swords have enough support to be confirmed. I'll also yay SoHaH (which also helps reset undying), and begrudgingly SotA that I'm less a fan of but it does enough to get us over the hump I guess.

For today, let's put @RxPhantom and @RxPhantom on the clock, with the expectation that we probably are still looking at ramp roles I believe. Sorry if I have missed you, so enjoy these two picks!
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
I don't understand the seemingly arbitrary nature of deciding who's on the clock. I frankly don't want to spend time discussing other people's picks while never being able to submit one. Some people have gone twice since I had a shot. It kills my enthusiasm. Maybe I'll see you all on v4.
kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
My guess is that it has to do with thread participation? I dunno, though.
I was under the impression you were lukewarm on this one based on inconsistent activity, but admittedly I really should have stuck a list of users on a note to my laptop and just picked from there.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Oh man, now I'm on the spot. Really though, the thread was off and running with like three pages in two days when I checked back into the site. It felt kind of daunting to get up to speed. I probably could've been more polite with my concerns, too. Thank you, @3drinks.

I suggested this one earlier in the thread before I understood the nomination rules, so I now officially nominate Harbinger of Night. If we wanna go hard on undying, peppering our creatures (and all creatures, for that matter) with -1/-1 counters every turn will help that. If it sticks, it could really hamper opponents, too.

Since I've been blessed with a second pick after my...ummm...outburst, I'll also nominate the very boring Arcane Signet. I feel like it had to be done.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Oh, I was under the impression that Harbinger of Night was up for voting before, I think I even yayed.it. Anywaya. yay

I am yaying the signet,.too.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Man I didn't notice that Harbinger wasn't already in.
Yay to both. Signet is a nobrainer and Harbinger for reasons stated previously.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

3drinks

Arcane Signet is an easy yay.

That said, I'm more concerned over a four mana 2/3 that relies on the commander + background being online + surviving around the table to do what we want it to do. I'm going to tentatively nay this while I wait to see others defenses for it that could turn my opinion around. There's got to be a more reliable -1/-1 counter enabler out there. Maybe inside someone's Vhati il-Dal deck.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

I was today years old when I discovered that -1/-1 counters in a scryfall or MTG companion search defaults to "does not include a 1/-1 counter".

EDIT - quotation marks are my friend. Here's some fun ones:

Blowfly Infestation
Gwyllion Hedge-Mage
Fevered Convulsions
Grind // Dust

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Arcane Signet is an easy yay.

That said, I'm more concerned over a four mana 2/3 that relies on the commander + background being online + surviving around the table to do what we want it to do. I'm going to tentatively nay this while I wait to see others defenses for it that could turn my opinion around. There's got to be a more reliable -1/-1 counter enabler out there. Maybe inside someone's Vhati il-Dal deck.
Can we justify Archfiend of Ifnir? Don't let the 5cmc fool you, the card is a brutalising monster if we can leverage it well.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

How often are we discarding or cycling? I love me some Archfiend of Ifnir, believe me, but I don't see the density of stuff to trigger it reliably in the deck yet.
Last edited by kirkusjones 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Blowfly Infestation seems pretty cool. Deciding to enable a cycling plan seems like a pretty big left turn at this point.

Also, my last post contained a non-apology to @3drinks, so I'm sorry. I can do better.

duducrash
Still Learning

Yay to signet!

I think Harbinger is also a yay, but a card we sandbag and only plat after we have our engine on

3drinks

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Can we justify Archfiend of Ifnir? Don't let the 5cmc fool you, the card is a brutalising monster if we can leverage it well.
Oh man I loved this in zenith Kaalia when I was still doing slide because this thing kept running whole tables for me. I don't think we have any inevitability for this thing in this deck yet. I'm still waiting for someone to add Mask of Memory but even that probably isn't enough on it's own. Oh man, Tortured Existence would power it too.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago

Also, my last post contained a non-apology to @3drinks, so I'm sorry. I can do better.
I gotchu man. It's all good.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”