The Community Deck Build Project v3.0

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Generous Gift. It's versatile.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

yea for GG. not much to say about it. One of the better options, really.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

Definite yea to Generous Gift. I approve.

I'll nominate another piece of the most versatile all-purpose removal -- Utter End. Hits anything other than lands, instant speed, exiles. That's worth 4 mana.

I will mention, while we only have 4 actual instants confirmed, Attrition, Retribution of the Ancients, Dictate of Erebos, Angel of Condemnation, Yawgmoth, and Priest of Forgotten Gods can all do their thing at instant speed. They mostly have to already be on the board for it, but if we just want to be able to interact on our opponents' turns, they will also help a good deal.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Easy yea on Generous Gift; it is even on our tribal subtheme of elephants. All joking aside, yea both gift and Utter End, even though the latter is a bit high MV. That's just the premium for flexibility.

I do agree that we already have a fair number of on-board instant speed interaction options, so I am not 100% convinced that both of these cards are needed, but they're solid inclusions independent of that discussion.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Yea to the instant speed removal spells.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

I'm gonna go against the grain here and nay Utter End. Four is just too much to hold up to deal with one card. Even Hero's Downfall is rough at three, though Generous Gift gets a pass because it handles anything unconditionally. There's never a time when I'm satisfied I spent four to deal with one thing in a straight one-for-one trade. It's not like Mouth of Ronom that fits into the mana until we need it either. It's just in this awkward limbo and we're in Orzhov, it's literally the removal colours. We can do so much better than this (such as the oft-overlooked Fateful Absence). I'd probably green light Vindicate at three even though it's a sorcery but....uhh, something positive about Utter End. "At least it's not Despark?"

Obvious yay to Generous Gift, since I touched on it above.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

I'm a no on Utter End too. Its too much. Honestly sometimes 3 is a lot, four is always a stretch.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

I'm so glad I'm not alone on that assessment.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

I am also going to nay on Utter End. I really like exile but we're just paying too much of a premium for this effect 😢. Generous Gift is terrific though!

Dunharrow

Utter end is not worth it, Nay. I would rather see Baleful Mastery I think.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

All right, y'all flipped me on Utter End. I'd be down to swap in Baleful Mastery.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

I like utter end. It's Zurgo Helmsmasher slicing some %$#% so hard it exiles them, I gotta appreciate that! But yeah, the format has gone to fast. I would like to yay but can't I think.

I'll yay the gift though and Baleful Mastery

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I have been convinced. I would like to change my vote on Utter End from yea to nay. I should have realized that it has slowly been cut from all my non-sunforger decks.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
I like utter end. It's Zurgo Helmsmasher slicing some %$#% so hard it exiles them, I gotta appreciate that! But yeah, the format has gone to fast. I would like to yay but can't I think.

I'll yay the gift though and Baleful Mastery
The art is what suckered me in orginally!

3drinks

Fascinating seeing Utter End move from a hotly contested 2-3 all the way to an 0-6 by the time I got on this morning. Generous Gift has been confirmed though, bringing us to 57/64 deck slots.

Even if the interaction points are higher than the instant pieces I highlighted yesterday (I don't agree, those sorcery pieces still have to be played, uhm, at sorcery speed, but I digress), we should get more CA and tutours in the deck, which is criminally low and makes us more susceptible to over-reliance on the commander. So having said that, rounding out the player list is @Henlock and @Dunharrow.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

CA?
I accidentally just discovered Angelic Sleuth, but I think it is a bit hard to make it work. To have it go off we already have to be late game. And honestly Grim haruspex is probably better. I just thought it was interesting and wanted to discuss it - maybe someone can make it work better than I see it?

I am gonna go for Fell Stinger. It's a creature, so we can loop it to draw extra cards. It sacs a creature which is nice when we need to work our engine.
At worst, it's a divination.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I like Fell Stinger, there are a couple of my decks that should have considered it on release. I missed it in the firehose of new cards.

Yea Fell Stinger.
Commander Decks

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
CA?
Card advantage I assume?

I like fell stinger, I should run in more decks. Yay

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Big yay on Stinger. I also yay Aura of Silence. It sacrifices itself and that's good.

I am nominating Hidden Stockpile. It's a revolt enabler that can help us find what we need.

3drinks

I like Angelic Sleuth actually. We proc revolt pretty reliably and this further supports that with more fodder, and it's clause doesn't care what kind of counters are on it. Maybe someone else will come in with it, I'd be happy to see that. Plus it's on-type!

I kinda like Vulturous Aven more, but I suspect that's just largely splitting hairs at this point, so that's a yay. Hidden Stockpile isn't, like, "interesting", but it gets the job done and checks the boxes. Plus the cost is right, there's not really a negative hereso yay as well.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I kinda like Vulturous Aven more, but I suspect that's just largely splitting hairs at this point, so that's a yay. Hidden Stockpile isn't, like, "interesting", but it gets the job done and checks the boxes. Plus the cost is right, there's not really a negative hereso yay as well.
What am I missing? Fell Stinger is a mana cheaper and I don't think flying is that much better than death touch.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I like Angelic Sleuth actually. We proc revolt pretty reliably and this further supports that with more fodder, and it's clause doesn't care what kind of counters are on it. Maybe someone else will come in with it, I'd be happy to see that. Plus it's on-type!

I like Angelic Sleuth too, althought I haven't tried it. I suspect Lulu is to create enough incidental counters and of course Clues can serve us for both revolt and cards. On a side note, and just as an afterthought, I have built Bennie Bracks, Zoologist recently and I am pretty happy with the small Clue package (Tamiyo's Journal +Search the premises + Thorough investigation + Declaration in Stone) I run.. Orzhov allows Havengul Laboratory // Havengul Mystery,

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

The scorpion and the stockpile are easy yays for me! I hope that someone gets Bennie Bracks in here!

Dunharrow

yay stockpile, I love that card.

3drinks

Hidden Stockpile and Fell Stinger have been confirmed, which brings us to 59/64 slots and back to the top of the player list.

@RxPhantom and @toctheyounger are on the clock.
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
What am I missing? Fell Stinger is a mana cheaper and I don't think flying is that much better than death touch.
Alesha bias, I guess. Old habits die hard.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”