August CCL, Signups/Round 2 - Just What is a Ratite?

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL August Signups/Round 2

"Just What is a Ratite?"

Hunting Moa, taken from EchoMTG, by DiTerlizzi and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Animals Month in the CCL! Time to make designs featuring furry friends, feathered ones, scaly ones, and otherwise.

Challenge
Design a Bird creature card without flying.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Wednesday, August 17th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (August 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 10th-17th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 19th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (August 20th–23rd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due August 25th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 26th–29th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 31st)
  • Final (September, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Wounded Spikefeather -- 1RB
Creature - Bird
Wither
Broken Wing Gambit -- 1RB, T: Wounded Spikefeather fights target creature. When that creature dies this turn, put your choice of a flying counter or a +1/+1 counter on it. If you put a flying counter on it, it loses this ability.
1/3
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Mischievous Penguin
Creature - Bird (Mythic Rare)
Double Strike, islandwalk
When Mischievous Penguin enters the battlefield, you may exile the top three cards of your library face down. If you do, put the bottom three cards of your library into your graveyard. For each creature put into a graveyard this way, draw two cards, then discard a card. For each enchantment card put into a graveyard this way, put up to one target creature from a graveyard onto the battlefield, except it's a 3/3 blue Bird creature. For each noncreature, nonenchantment card put into a graveyard this way, flip a coin. If you win the flip, draw a card, then discard a card and put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control. If you lose the flip, sacrifice a land, exile the top three cards of your library, and you get three poison counters.
3/3
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Desert Ostrich 1RG
Creature - Bird (Rare)
Trample
Desert Ostrich gets +1/+0 for each artifact, enchantment, nonbasic land and creature with flying you don't control.
"The Ostrich betrayed nature by showing the human world its secrets. Afraid that the Ostrich would tell on them, Auresis, the God of Humans clipped the Ostrich's wings. Enraged and full of regrets, it swore to wage war on all that is unnatural."
- Tome of Two Worlds
0/5
Last edited by netn10 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Pack Emu 3W
Creature - Bird (U)
Vigilance
2: Exile target noncreature artifact token you control until Pack Emu leaves the battlefield. When you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Pack Emu.
Though flightless, Pack Emus protect their cargo with surprising ferocity.
2/4
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Hunted Rhea 1G
Creature - Bird (Uncommon)
Haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Hunted Rhea unless you pay G.
When Hunted Rhea dies, you may put two +1/+1 counters on a creature you control. If you don't, you gain 3 life.
2/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Savage Cassowary 1RG
Creature - Bird (U)
Menace
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to Vicious Cassowary, Vicious Cassowary deals 1 damage to that creature and 1 damage to that creature's controller.
"Stay outta that ripper's way, mate -- she'll disembowel you 'fore you can blink."
Drake Deckard, Jungle Ranger

3/3

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Ember Kiwi R
Creature - Elemental Bird {U}
Ember Kiwi can't be blocked by creatures with flying.
When Ember Kiwi leaves the battlefield, shuffle it into its owner's library and it deals 1 damage to each opponent.
These timid birds are known for digging deep holes and leaving fiery feathers behind.
1/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, let's close the round - please critique and provide a T3 for all other contestants.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

May I get my entry in?

Prized Peacock g
Creature - Bird (u)
When Prized Peack dies, its owner creates a Food token.
Whenever a player who doesn't own Prized Peacock gains control of it, its owner creates a Treasure Token.
Whenever Prized Peacock becaomes the target of a spell or ability controlled by a player who doesn't own it, investigate.
1/1

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

MonoRedMage: I'm not sure the card would entirely work as worded because it would be tricky shuffling one of these back into your hand if it got bounced, etc.

slimytrout: A bird that damages that what damages it? Cool idea but nothing too flashy.

Henlock: Why couldn't the person who controlled the bird get the food?

kwanyeegor-ii: This hunted bird can make some power or life; the choice is yours. Solid card.

CunningGabe: That is a specific card type to exile to get the power, but is it worth it? Possibly. However, that token's never coming back, so you might want to have that thing phase out instead.

netn10: The best card so far because aggressive ostriches are what Magic needs!

OneandOnly: I think this is a cool design that references a chess term. Does this bird play chess? What does it think about the "bird gambit" or whatever gambit is associated with animal (there are aptly named animal gambits out there)

Top 3:
1st place: netn10
2nd place: OneandOnly
3rd place: kwanyeegor-ii
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Reviews
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Mischievous Penguin
When Mischievous Penguin enters the battlefield, you may exile the top three cards of your library face down. If you do, put the bottom three cards of your library into your graveyard. For each creature put into a graveyard this way, draw two cards, then discard a card. For each enchantment card put into a graveyard this way, put up to one target creature from a graveyard onto the battlefield, except it's a 3/3 blue Bird creature. For each noncreature, nonenchantment card put into a graveyard this way, flip a coin. If you win the flip, draw a card, then discard a card and put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control. If you lose the flip, sacrifice a land, exile the top three cards of your library, and you get three poison counters.
3/3
Doublestrike seems weird in non-WR -- green and black get it occasionally, but blue only very rarely. Islandwalk is also a deprecated ability; perfect for penguins, though, so I'll let it slide.

Should it be a snow creature?

The top-and-bottom-of-the-library seems physically very fiddly. The various clauses of the abilities seem jumbly -- milling an enchantment reanimates a creature, but not as that creature, and a whole bunch of card draw, discard and exiling cards that makes me feel like I'd be handling half my deck. And Mischief, if it gets blinked....

A little complex for a creature that's black and white. (ba-dum-TISH!)
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Desert Ostrich 1RG
Creature - Bird (Rare)
Trample
Desert Ostrich gets +1/+0 for each artifact, enchantment, nonbasic land and creature with flying you don't control.
"The Ostrich betrayed nature by showing the human world its secrets. Afraid that the Ostrich would tell on them, Auresis, the God of Humans clipped the Ostrich's wings. Enraged and full of regrets, it swore to wage war on all that is unnatural."
- Tome of Two Worlds
0/5
Well, that's wild. The question is how massive a power boost you'd expect to get, and outside of March of the Machines or Enchanted Evening shenanigans, you just can't tell.

Ostriches are actually quite deadly, so it doesn't quite seem fitting for the card.
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Pack Emu 3W
Creature - Bird (U)
Vigilance
2: Exile target noncreature artifact token you control until Pack Emu leaves the battlefield. When you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Pack Emu.
2/4
Oh, I read "Pack" Emu as "travelling together in a pack," and expected some variation on banding. You mean "Pack" Emu as in, carries a pack.

3W for a vigilant 2/4 is a little under the curve, and despite all the Food, Clues, and Treasures in recent sets, the buff doesn't seem like it would be that useful. Tokens that get put into exile cease to exist, so you may want to phase them out rather than exile them.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Hunted Rhea 1G
Creature - Bird (Uncommon)
Haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Hunted Rhea unless you pay G.
When Hunted Rhea dies, you may put two +1/+1 counters on a creature you control. If you don't, you gain 3 life.
2/3
The upkeep ability feels very old school.

Haste in mono-green feels weird. I know there are some creatures with flash (for surprise defense, or getting around counterspells), but green haste to me usually has the feeling of being summoned -- ie, shows up on instants and sorceries rather than creatures themselves.
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Savage Cassowary 1RG
Creature - Bird (U)
Menace
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to Vicious Cassowary, Vicious Cassowary deals 1 damage to that creature and 1 damage to that creature's controller.
"Stay outta that ripper's way, mate -- she'll disembowel you 'fore you can blink."

3/3
Slight mis-match between the name of the card and what's in the text box. This feels very Gruul, and very dangerous ... and apparently either Australian or New Zealander.
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Ember Kiwi R
When Ember Kiwi leaves the battlefield, shuffle it into its owner's library and it deals 1 damage to each opponent.
These timid birds are known for digging deep holes and leaving fiery feathers behind.
1/1
Cute! I don't like that its triggered ability works against bounce; it really should be just a standard "dies" ability.
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
May I get my entry in?

Prized Peacock g
Creature - Bird (u)
Whenever a player who doesn't own Prized Peacock gains control of it, its owner creates a Treasure Token.
Whenever Prized Peacock becaomes the target of a spell or ability controlled by a player who doesn't own it, investigate.
1/1
I expect a peacock to be more colorful! The three-types-of-tokens would be a little confusing, but I understand it's a thing.

I would re-order the abilities, since it's likely to get targeted multiple times, only change control a few times, and only dies once. (Unless it's a peacock phoenix.)
Ratings
Show
Hide
1. Savage Cassowary
2. Hunted Rhea
3. Ember Kiwi
4. Prized Peacock
5. Pack Emu
6. Desert Ostrich
7. Mischievous Penguin

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Reviews
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly: I love the mini-game this card asks you to play, and the flavor is interesting.

marioguy3: This card makes me a little tired even looking at it. I guess the point is that it's over-the-top and mischievous, but I found it to be too much.

netn10: The flavor text does a lot of heavy lifting here to make the flavor coherent. I'd almost be tempted to batch "artifact, enchantment, and nonbasic land" into a term "unnatural".

Me: Oops, I forgot that tokens disappear when they are exiled! Oh well, live and learn.

kwanyeegor-ii: This is a nice update of Hunting Moa to more modern sensibilities. It's true that we don't see upkeep costs very often any more, but I like how you pair it with a bonus when it dies.

slimytrout: This is kind of a fun riff on Rampage. The card overall is relatively simple but makes for a nice combination.

MonoRedMage: I love the shuffle ability here - it's an interesting bit of design space that has not been explored much.

henlock: This card is an interesting puzzle - but I'm not sure I've solved it yet!
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. OneAndOnly
2. MonoRedMage
3. slimytrout
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

T3 first, critiques if I have time.
T3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. MonoRedMage

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

crits
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Wounded Spikefeather -- 1RB
Creature - Bird
Wither
Broken Wing Gambit -- 1RB, T: Wounded Spikefeather fights target creature. When that creature dies this turn, put your choice of a flying counter or a +1/+1 counter on it. If you put a flying counter on it, it loses this ability.
1/3
probably too complicated. I know the flying counter making it lose the ability is flavorful but it ads to how complicated it is
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Mischievous Penguin
3/3
this card is almost unreadable lol, i would hate anyone playing this bc they would just take up 10 minutes resolving the etb ability
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Desert Ostrich 1RG
Creature - Bird (Rare)
Trample
- Tome of Two Worlds
0/5
i love this card, completely flavorful and possibly having really huge power for three mana
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Pack Emu 3W
Creature - Bird (U)
Vigilance
2/4
doesnt work mechanically but with phasing it would be perfect. nice idea and if you just change the wording its great
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Savage Cassowary 1RG
Creature - Bird (U)
Menace

3/3
Nice, I like that it hits the controller as well. however this card seems maybe monored and not green
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Ember Kiwi R
1/1
Interesting, the abilities definitely match up with the flavor, a very small scale 1 drop
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
May I get my entry in?

Prized Peacock g
Creature - Bird (u)
1/1
donate fodder? I really like the flavor and use of the predefine tokens... but this seems probably too small to be used for donate decks
t3
Show
Hide
1 netn10
2 slimytrout
3 cunninggabe
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

1. slimytrout
2. Monoredmage
3. netn10

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And your top 6:

slimytrout
kwanyeegor-ii
CunningGabe
netn10
OneAndOnly
marioguy3

Round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”