August MCC, Round 1 - Carry the Banner Proudly

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Banner based on Strionic Resonator, by Noah Bradley and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
August MCC, Round 1 - Carry the Banner Proudly

Welcome to the August MCC! It's Triggered Abilities Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a card with exalted.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is not a creature
Subchallenge 2: Your card is exactly one color but has mana symbols of a different color in its text box

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Tuesday, August 9th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Friday, August 12th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: The card must have exalted natively - exactly as Akrasan Squire, Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis, etc. do. Granting exalted to something else does not count, nor does gaining it conditionally.

Subchallenge 1: A card that is not a creature on its typeline but can become a creature via its own abilities counts for this subchallenge.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing

If you are not interested in playing, please sign up to judge the contest!

Players:
Anyone is welcome to enter this first round
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Warchief's Chant -- 1WW
Enchantment {R}
Exalted
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, you may pay R, RR, and/or RRR. If you paid R, damage that creature deals can't be prevented this turn. If you paid RR, that creature gains menace until end of turn. If you paid RRR, that creature gains doublestrike until end of turn. If you paid all three costs, that creature has base power 5/5 and gains indestructible until end of turn.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 5 times in total.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Sigil of Joyful Resolute W
Artifact (Rare)
Exalted
1U, T: Copy target triggered ability. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2G, T: Counter target triggered ability and you draw a card.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Sigil of the Sacred Groves 3G
Artifact (Rare)
Exalted
T: Add G, W, or U.
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, untap that creature and Sigil of the Sacred Groves.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

The_Hittite

Post by The_Hittite » 1 year ago

Gladiator's Helm
Artifact — Equipment (Uncommon)
Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Equipped creature attacks each combat if able and has ": This creature can't be blocked by more than one creature until end of turn."
Equip
Last edited by The_Hittite 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Sermon of the Chosen w
Enchantment (u)
Extort (Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay . If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.)
Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Eternity always comes to the ones who work for it.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Saheeli, Supportive Thopterist 3UU
Legendary Planeswalker — Saheeli (M)
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, put a loyalty counter on Saheeli. If that creature is an artifact creature, put two loyalty counters on Saheeli instead.
0: Create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying. Then you may pay R. If you do, that token gains haste until end of turn.
-10: You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, you may draw two cards. If that creature is an artifact creature, you may draw three cards instead."
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Triumphal Chariot 2R
Artifact — Vehicle (R)
Haste
Whenever a creature you control that's attacking alone deals combat damage to an opponent, create a Treasure token.
WUBRG: Triumphal Chariot gains flying, double strike, trample, and lifelink until end of turn.
Crew 1
3/3

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Narset's Combat Book
Legendary Artifact (Rare)
Exalted
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, you may pay . If you do, tap target creature an opponent controls.
Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to an opponent, if that player controls a tapped creature, you may draw two cards. If you do, discard a card or sacrifice a land.
Last edited by marioguy3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Weaponmaster's Teachings 2RR
Legendary Enchantment (Mythic)
Exalted
Whenever an Equipment enters the battlefield under your control, you may create Kanchor the Weaponmaster, a legendary 2/2 red Dwarf Warrior creature token with first strike, menace, and exalted.
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, you may gain control of target Equipment and attach it to that creature.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed! I am the sole judge - so the top 6 contestants will move on top round 2.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a Txmmy card, for obvious reasons, with Jxnny wanting to see what kind of unusual interactions were possible here. Spike doesn't have RRRRRR spend to turn something into a "mere" 6/6 double strike/menace creature, mostly because they're casting something that will probably win outright.
(1/3) Elegance - A triggered ability with three optional cost which can be paid in any combination results in a really dense and complex card - especially with the base P/T setting combined with exalted.

Development
(3/3) Viability - The base effect of exalted is white, and certainly all the effects you get for paying the optional costs are red. Rarity is fine.
(3/3) Balance - Hard to evaluate, I think you'll concede, but given the costs for using the really powerful effects here, this looks fine. Rafiq of the Many is a fine commander and arguably a generally better card.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - While there's a ton of precedent for granting creatures that get exalted extra bonuses, this does that in a new way.
(1/3) Flavor - Pretty generic name and effects that don't seem tied together except in that they're combat bonuses. I guess maybe there's a notion of chanting and crescendoing? That's sort of abstract.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "Double strike"
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 18.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy wants to exalt! Jxnny wants to copy triggered abilities! Spike wants to counter them! (Actually all of them want to do all three.)
(2.5/3) Elegance - Card is slightly wordy given those two activated abilities but everybody basically knows what's going on here.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Base and activated ability cost colors fit and this NEEDS to be rare.
(1.5/3) Balance - Both those activated abilities have the potential to be very very very powerful, and they're on a toolbox of a card that has cheap costs all around.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Strionic Resonator obviously exists but this card also does a few extra interesting things.
(2/3) Flavor - No flavor text but a relatively evocative name.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Those activated abilities should be listed the other way around by convention (and also maybe that name should be "Sigil of THE Joyful Resolute"?)
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Finished.

Total: 21/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Pretty much everyone has some angle they can take on "turn exalted into extra value from the creature + one more mana of ramp".
(3/3) Elegance - That's a funky little piece of wording on that triggered ability that appears to work pretty nicely.

Development
(3/3) Viability - That's a green, rare, Bant-aligned artifact.
(2.5/3) Balance - While four mana is at least a conservative mana cost, I can't rule out all possibility of abuse for an effect like this.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Doesn't blow the top off, but goes into rather interesting territory.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Could have used short flavor text. I assume this is a Noble Hierarch callback intentionally?

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Okay.

Total: 23/25
The_Hittite
Show
Hide
Design
(0.5/3) Appeal - Not certain whom this card is for. Jxnnys trying to do something with jank? I don't know how playable this even is in Limited?
(3/3) Elegance - Difficult to argue here.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Red effect, green activated ability, and complexity means this basically has to be uncommon even though it'd be a disappointing one to see in a draft.
(1/3) Balance - Underpowered no matter where you're playing it. Even in, say, Sealed, you're paying three mana to start for one instance of exalted, and then paying an additional mana to equip to grant just a drawback - you then have to pay an ADDITIONAL one mana of an off color every turn to get a relatively marginal combat ability.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Some unique aspects - Equipment with exalted, granting an off-color activated ability - but I can't say this breaks any new ground.
(2/3) Flavor - Name's evocative but this really would have benefited from a little flavor text.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - One problem, but a glaring one: The generic and colored mana symbols are reversed!
(2/2) Subchallenges - Done.

Total: 17.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - While Txmmy ignores this, Jxnny and Spike would both want to come up with interesting uses for this level of cheap, incremental value.
(3/3) Elegance - Almost cheeky. Two words of rules text!!!

Development
(3/3) Viability - This would be a perfect uncommon in a Modern Horizons release.
(3/3) Balance - No issues here - efficient, but slow, and grindy, and does nothing on its own.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Putting NOTHING but two triggered ability keywords in a text box is clever, but hardly original.
(3/3) Flavor - Good name, good flavor text. Not a single problem here.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looking good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Well done: Reminder text is indeed in the text box.

Total: 22/25
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Mostly a Jxnny card just for the exalted-Saheeli oddness. The splashiness is too low for Txmmy and all the costs are just too high for Spike (who would probably be more on-board if they were considerably lesser, given the value this could theoretically generate if it hit the board at the right time).
(1.5/3) Elegance - A four-ability planeswalker, and a very wordy one - EVERY loyalty-related ability has some kind of extra clause here.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Mostly okay. Blue exalted outside of Bant, however, really puts into heavy focus how unfitting of a mechanic exalted is for blue in general.
(1.5/3) Balance - This comes off as underpowered. That itty-bitty Thopter token is hardly something you'd like to be attacking alone with on turn 5 and beyond, and the emblem is disappointing even when you charge it up in the minimum three turns.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Exalted on a 'walker and those bonus clauses like the haste granting are new, but ultimately this feels like a really generic, starter-deck-planeswalker play pattern.
(2/3) Flavor - Thopters feel like Saheeli. So does attacking with artifact creatures. Drawing cards - just fine. But exalted? I don't see that at all.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - No issues.

Total: 17/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy just loves EVERYTHING that's going on here. It's interesting enough for Jxnny and efficient enough for Spike too.
(2/3) Elegance - There are a lot of abilities on this card. None of them is blow-your-mind complex, but this feels like bait for the same kind of people who are still complaining about Questing Beast today.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a red rare and that activated ability deserves five colors.
(2.5/3) Balance - Maybe a bit pushed? The Treasure making is a lot of value even if you're not crewing this and swinging alone with it - which you can of course just do.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - "It makes Treasures" is a bit of a meme at this point, and I love Treasures, but this does also cover new ground! I personally love the design space of Vehicles that do stuff without being crewed.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Name is nice but mildly generic. This almost feels like it ought to be legendary.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All good.

Total: 22.5/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - A nice all-rounder! Everyone surely wants to lock down the opponent's board so they can draw TWO CARDS A TURN!
(2.5/3) Elegance - The last ability is, by necessity, wordy. I understand needing to put something of a cost to drawing two cards, and wanting to give a non-discard option, but it's just lengthy. That's fine, though!

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a red (Jeskai-themed) rare and I like that second ability.
(2.5/3) Balance - Not OP exactly, but this does a lot for three mana. Could be a strong engine.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Definitely new notions being brought to the fore here in a very polished package!
(2/3) Flavor - Name is oddly on-the-nose, but otherwise, good!

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Great.

Total: 22.5/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy can't resist a self-contained story like this. Jxnny sees plenty of moving parts to play with (with Mirror Box espesh). Spike prefers the likes of Sigarda's Aid.
(2/3) Elegance - A bit wordy, and Kanchor has plenty of keywords (particularly that additional exalted instance to track), but everyone can tell what the point of this card is.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Very red, and yeah, I see mythic for this, particularly with the legendary token.
(3/3) Balance - It's four mana and for max effectiveness you're going to want to specifically have an Equipment in hand right away - potentially great in the right build, but never OP.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Nothing wholly new, but plenty of innovation and playfulness.
(3/3) Flavor - This tells a story succinctly. Nicely done.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Good.
(1/2) Subchallenges - No off-color symbol.

Total: 21.5/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii 23
slimytrout 22.5
marioguy3 22.5
Henlock 22
MonoRedMage 21.5
netn10 21

OneAndOnly 18.5
The_Hittite 17.5
bravelion83 17

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”