Phelddagrif: Show Weakness to Hide Your Strength

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

I hate to be a Negative Nancy about our new friend Immovable Rod, but imo it feels like it could attract attention a la Rhystic Study, etc. and thus blow our cover. It's super powerful, but therein lies the weakness; when it's untapped, everyone else will be acutely aware its laser is primed and incentivized to destroy it. Worse still, we could lose politcal points if opponents conspire to destroy it, making us take undue table heat.

Song of the Dryads is a one shot, but no opponent beyond the owner of its target has any reason to fear it/hate you once it does its thing. BAM! "Larry is a forest now, let's all wash our hands of this tragedy, you know he'd want us all to move on." It's clean, it's simple, it's done, it's very easy to sell. Compare to the rod now: "Larry is now a quadriplegic because of this laser I'm shooting at him... he's not dead though." "Oh, are you planning to shoot that at us too?" "Well, yes... you know, when I'm done with Larry of course." "We've talked and agreed you're not qualified to own a laser anymore." Much harder to sell, not so clean. I'll certainly be looking to pick up a copy so I can speedrun dungeons with Clock of Omens, but I've got a bad feeling about it in this deck.

Who knows though, I could be totally wrong. If it flies under the radar and no one cares, it's siiiiiiick.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Tags:

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

The threat level is obviously the question, but I do think there's some wiggle room available to us. For one thing, I think you're overstating the power level a bit - the ability to shut down a commander is certainly strong, but there are generally much more pressing problems. And I think it also depends on how it ends up getting used. If we're just instantly knocking out a commander and holding them down forever, then it looks worse than if we're a little more flexible with it. Hold down a commander for a bit, hold down another problem permanent for a bit, release them when their controller isn't the threat anymore, etc. The fact that this gets us dungeon value is kinda nice in a way, since it gives the impression that our goal is directed more towards the dungeon value than deleting people, which is more of a useful side effect. People can see that we're motivated to let go of the rod, which means that from their perspective we're less likely to use it to hard-delete a commander. We just need to convince them of that through how we use the rod. The only time we should be leaning hard on it is when someone is clearly and obviously a huge problem, in which case the other players are a lot less likely to be casting as wary of an eye on us anyway.

And then of course there's the option to make deals, as mentioned, along the lines of "if you help me kill this player, I won't use the rod on your commander." If every commander is a must-rod threat, then...jesus, idk, play somewhere else maybe?

That's my theory, at least. Now in practice, if the game is relatively calm then it could well look like a significant problem, but if one player always seems to be on the verge of popping off and outright winning the game, I feel like people will probably be more concerned about other things. As with everything else in this deck, the power level kinda balances out - the nastier our opponents, the more easily we can bring our control power to bear without appearing overly threatening.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sefir

Post by Sefir » 2 years ago

Ok, I simply HAVE to mention the game I just had. One of my best with the deck, if not the best.
I managed to get out of attention as always, with hand full or semi-full, the Inspiring Refrain helped on that matter.
My First Sliver opponent managed to make fast work with our Muldrotha Opponent, some gifted Hippos managed to get the numbers just right.
Immediately, the Zada opponent started doing broken stuff with the usual copying X times any 1-mana draw a card targeted spell they had. I managed to mess with their numbers and make them die from overdrawing by gifting them more hippos, thus drawing more cards than they could afford to.
All that left was my First Sliver opponent, that I managed to control with a timely Evacuation, followed by a 10/10 flying Hippo monstrosity that went all the way until the end. (tripple Quantrix command through Bala-Ged and Mystic Sanctuary).

It was simply marvelous!! The deck is a joy to play with.
Zedruu the Greathearted 4-Card Combos Puzzlebox
Gluntch, the Bestower Controlled Hug
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis Saclands
Teneb, the Harvester AntiBlack Pestilence
Dakkon Blackblade Control
Riku of Two Reflections Dragon's Approach
Phelddagrif Hippo Factory Lifegain
Damia, Sage of Stone Casual Food Chain
Minsc, Beloved Ranger Win(nie)s
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis Dredge/Reanimator
Hans Eriksson Smash

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Howdy Howdy

Has anyone else got any substantial testing with Immovable Rod yet? I've seen it twice so far and both times I've been a little underwhelmed.

First time I deployed it late game to hold down a Yarok deck. It lasted two turns and ventured twice, and then ate removal.

Second time I deployed it early to keep my hand size reasonable and it died to a Rec Sage, doing nothing and venturing nowhere.

TBH, I'm seriously considering replacing it with more traditional removal like reality shift. The potential upside is grand, but I feel the deck runs best when it presents as few targets for opposing removal as possible, and whether it be newness or odd threat assessment, the rod is a lightning rod IME so far. Venturing has also seemed super marginal without additional support. Finally, 3WW is still a lot for it's floor value imho.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on Immovable Rod. Should I give it more time or trust my gut? What are your experiences?

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 2 years ago

First game with Immovable Rod drastically overperformed, to the point where I wouldn't have wanted any other card in the deck. I actually ventured fairly deeply into the dungeon, and the "target creature can't attack until your next turn" room came up at exactly the right time. Locked down a Nezahal, Primal Tide at eot and beginning of my turn, then when that player went down a very scary Ashnod's Altar that I eventually permanently removed and a Korvold, Fae-Cursed King that would have needed to sacrifice everything on a dime to get value. He might should have done that, but opted to have his mana available outside of his upkeep.

Tyrite Sanctum is currently one of my favorite draws in the deck- making Phelddagrif a god always brings a laugh even from spectators, and shaving a turn off the clock, or in those rare circumstances where you have to deal with 2 players, 3 turns is huge. You just tick up the counters over a few turns and suddenly you've got a 7/7 flample hippo. Strong!

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
I fiiiiinally got around to updating the OP with the cards from the past...year lol.

cunning wish to get unbanned. That'd be pretty cool.
wiSheS aRe'nT BaNneD.

Just kidding. That isn't why I'm here. I'm wondering, are the deck lists in the OP current?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

DirkGently

Lol no, I'm a bad boy. And I build too many new decks, I don't really spend that much time agonizing over individual cards in my perm decks for the most part. And it's especially hard to play Phelddagrif often because Phelddagrif games are usually a significant time commitment when I've got some new spicy thing I wanna try out.

I really don't view Phelddagrif as a deck that lends itself to a "correct" list anyway, though. It has a well-defined structure, but the cards themselves are almost all extremely replaceable. I should update my personal list to reflect reality - I've added a few new cards in the past year, some of which should probably be in the other lists as well - but there's really no reason to hang on my card choices. Once you know the strategy and the structure of the deck, I'd always encourage people to customize the specific card choices to their meta and tastes.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Lol no, I'm a bad boy. And I build too many new decks, I don't really spend that much time agonizing over individual cards in my perm decks for the most part. And it's especially hard to play Phelddagrif often because Phelddagrif games are usually a significant time commitment when I've got some new spicy thing I wanna try out.

I really don't view Phelddagrif as a deck that lends itself to a "correct" list anyway, though. It has a well-defined structure, but the cards themselves are almost all extremely replaceable. I should update my personal list to reflect reality - I've added a few new cards in the past year, some of which should probably be in the other lists as well - but there's really no reason to hang on my card choices. Once you know the strategy and the structure of the deck, I'd always encourage people to customize the specific card choices to their meta and tastes.
Please do update the primer lists. They're a good baseline as-is, but I for one would like to see what the last few releases have added and subtracted.

Sefir

Ok, I just had my first games with Immovable Rod . The card simply overperformed. And I didn't even used it once. But the fact that it was standing there and I had the opportunity to use it, led me in a number of political deals ("If you leave my stuff untapped and do not attack me unless I create a scary board state, I will not use the Rod on your Koma", etc). I believe this is the key in playing with the card without look threatening or even annoying. Using it as less as possible, but exploiting the fact that you have it and you are able to use it.

EDIT: I am continued to be pleasantly surprised by how great the deck performs even in the higher tiers of EDH. I played some games in a pod against very well respected and busted commanders (namely Koma, Meren and Korvold) and it still managed to get on top relatively easy. I noticed that the more powerful your opponents' decks are, the easier it is to convince them to go on each other's throats with us using minimum resources (and when we do so to prevent someone from winning, to appear like saviors).
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

DirkGently

Omg fine, I'll actually do my job as a primer owner. Whiners. 😘

I've talked about a lot of these already but I'll give my quick 2 cents.

Imprisoned was never my favorite card, just the best way to lock down an enemy commander. Between Out of Time and Immovable Rod, we have better options available now. Out it goes.

Summary Dismissal is a great ability for a painful cost, especially since it's frequently just a 4 mana counterspell. FoW and FoN were always cards I wanted for the deck - now that I've got them, dismissal can come out.

Play of the Game is a card I really wanted to like, but haven't. There are two main reasons for this. One, people tend not to leave mana up, which often leaves me footing most of the cost. Two, since I'm usually pretty untapped, it can potentially be a hard sell to get someone to buy in. "Why can't you just pay it yourself?" someone might reasonably ask. To be fair, this has almost never happened, but it worries me a lot and I feel like my opponents are misplaying when they DON'T try to leverage their power in that situation. Once we're asking for help, we're basically committed to casting the spell, and if we end up being forced to tap out 8 mana it can put us in a precarious spot. And if you're paying that much for global exile, I'd probably rather play junk like Perilous Vault. Anyway, Out of Time fulfills a similar niche while also doing a lot more and costing a lot less, so easy swap.

Akroma's Vengeance is fine, just outclassed. I've never liked cycling on answers here. In a "normal" deck we might cycle it because we're the beatdown and want more threats, but that's never really happening in Phelddagrif, so it's just a Planar Cleansing that's easier to cast but misses planeswalkers, and one in ten-thousand games we cycle it into an instant-speed answer that saves us. Meh. Mastery is clearly superior in both cost and power.

Search is a card I really like playing, but the proliferation of strong CA lands like bonders have rendered unnecessary, and it was always so hard to play innocent when you're revealing the answers you stockpile.

Wasteland is fine but doesn't seem necessary. We've got loam to recycle strip mine in a pinch, there's better spots to spend our utility land slots imo.

Tolaria West felt like Sylvan Scrying for 3. It's so rare for me to play it as a land. Nice to recycle with loam, but if you've got loam the utility lands probably aren't necessary anyway, and transmuting as a sorcery is bleh.

Hashep Oasis is fine. I'd rather have Yavimaya though.

I think all the includes I didn't mention speak for themselves (or in the set review notes if you look back for them). Maybe I should cut another wipe since we have ondu inversion, but I end up playing it a lot as a land anyway. I will say, feels great to bounce it with azorius chancery lol.

I'll update the OP with these changes in a sec.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@DirkGently you forgot to add Immovable Rod to your personal list. You have 19 removal spells listed in the deck, but only 18 cards in the category.

Edit: Did Suspend really not make the grade? Card has been fantastic for me thus far.

DirkGently

Good catch on rod, fixed it. Haven't had a chance to test suspend yet, but I should.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Quick assessment for Innistrad 3:

Vanquish the Horde is obviously a very very strong creature wipe, probably the second best creature-only wipe in our colors behind out of time. Probably an auto-include until we get a critical mass of global wipes at least.

Fateful Absence is a solid 2 mana removal. Not amazing but probably good enough to make the cut.

Geistwave is probably not worth mentioning, but it's definitely an interesting variant of this effect.

Memory Deluge isn't quite my cup of tea as it can only be used twice, but it's very good for what it does.

New dual lands are fine, won't make the cut for me but if you're on a budget you could do a lot worse.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

Only thing I'll add is Secrets of the Key is similar to Chemister's Insight if you want to build that route, maybe someday we'll have enough good ones to make that list work.

I know I'm late but I still like Play of the Game.

Part of it is nostalgia, I've had some pretty epic moments with the card, but also, I've definitely tutored for the card and casted it with no help from my opponents since it hits all permanents and exiles, in my deck, it's the ultimate emergency button.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

DirkGently

Secrets of the key looks pretty awful to me. You're ultimately paying 11 mana for +2 cards, unless I'm missing something? It's nice that you can split it up into pretty small increments, but still.

It is nice to exile all permanents but 8 is just too much imo. I hope they print a version of that effect with a more reasonable pricetag - I'll be all over that.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 2 years ago

I did, team. I finally did it. I've played 3 games with the Grif, but finally got the feel just right. I was playing against Rafiq Exalted Tribal, Mikaeus (feat. Triskaeus), and Selvala, Heart of the Wilds (Green Fatties), and I just sort of sat around doing very little with my magic hippo on the field - I managed to give a few people cards, but no hippos, and sort of managed the table politics towards the most threatening players, and then suddenly it was me and Mike. And this thing sings 1v1, as advertised. It's not that I countered everything, but I definitely was in charge the rest of the game. There's a fine point of play where I want to aim for third place, and I haven't quite gotten it down yet. The first game I definitely ran things too much, the 2nd game I got mana screwed and blown out by Urza (Hard Stax), but the third I finally got some part of this right. Feels really solid when you get there.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Sefir

Not sure if it is a card the deck needs, not sure if it is actually even good in this politics/control deck, but Wedding Ring is called A LOT for Phelddagrif decks around the last 24h.......
Personally I think it just makes the Hippo lose some of its politics versatility while giving a specific opponent more CA than probably we want them to have.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

DirkGently

Hmm, it is an interesting tool, the nice thing about it is that we can mostly ensure that it only goes one way, by only gaining life and drawing cards on other people's turns (which we usually wanted to do anyway) and giving them life and draw on their own turn. Although that might be awkward if they're not the player directly before us.

I don't like the way you're locked in, though. I've certainly had plenty of games where one deck was initially weak but became problematic, and I wouldn't want to be giving them extra resources. Plus I don't use many on-board value engines these days.

Overall I think it's probably a cute option for CA, but no more worthy than any of the other multitude available.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 2 years ago

Engulfing Tide

Each player chooses a nonland permanent they control. Return all other nonland permanents to their owner's hand, then draw a card for each opponent with more cards in hand than you.

How many new board wipes can they give us??

Sefir

Chromaticus wrote:
2 years ago
Engulfing Tide

Each player chooses a nonland permanent they control. Return all other nonland permanents to their owner's hand, then draw a card for each opponent with more cards in hand than you.

How many new board wipes can they give us??
Since this can easily replace the Wash Out I was using, the answer is always "not enough".
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

DirkGently

Yeah I saw that one. Cute, idk if it's really good enough but at least it's fairly nonthreatening. Like, even if something reveals it, it's not a big target on our head I shouldn't think.

Probably not something I'm going to run, but hey, chuck it in the pile.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

I was initially pretty excited by Engulfing Tide, but have cooled on it considerably.

- The "4 CMC or less boardwipe" slot is pretty stacked these days - we've got the staples of Hour of Revelation, Supreme Verdict, Wrath of God, Day of Judgement, and relative newcomers Vanquish the Horde and Devastating Mastery. I'd play the first four of those over this any day, budget allowing, and would strongly consider the second two over this as well.
- I also only run bounce-based wipes as a necessary evil, largely due to their instant speed which I prize highly in Evacuation, Cyclonic Rift, and Perplexing Test (which I haven't actually tested yet but like a lot on paper). This is a sorcery, so that's a huge downgrade.
- That's nine wraths plus Rout for 10, and that's around the right spot for 'grif. From there there's still tons of competition, whether it's from situational rattle-snakey wraths at a similar mana value (Doomskar, Comeuppance, Aetherspouts, Aetherize, Settle the Wreckage) or wraths that a little more mana but are generally more powerful/flexible (Winds of Abandon, Austere Command. Cleansing Nova, Fumigate, Tragic Arrogance, Akroma's Vengeance, Fated Retribution )

If your version of Phelddagrif was running River's Rebuke or Wash Out or Aether Gale I'd say this is an upgrade - but I'd also say that that long list above is probably where I'd be looking first especially since all that covers a wide range of budgets and playstyles.

DirkGently

New set time! Thank god we're out of tribal hell and got some good cards this time.

Colossal Skyturtle - Almost skipped right over this guy, but an instant-speed recursion spell is actually kinda nice, and the bounce is a good alternative too. The turtle itself isn't very interesting but I think this does have some utility.

Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire/Otawara, Soaring City/Boseiju, Who Endures - all of these are pretty insane in the loam version of this deck. So much stronger than MDFCs, for obvious reasons. Boseiju is an auto-include, full-stop. Otawara is strong but kinda pricey, I think I'd always run it. Eiganjo is...fine. Much less strong the second time around. Might be too hard to find room for.

Farewell is one of white's best board wipes and we've been in the market for a global exile wipe for a while. I know I'll be finding room for it.

March of Otherworldly Light - nice flexibility to have on a removal spell. When you gotta pitch half your hand to stop some early combo, sometimes you've gotta. It's never going to be amazing but it's reliable and solid, and pitching board wipes is frequently fine.

March of Swirling Mist - interesting, but I think phasing out is too temporary of a solution to nasty things.

Mirrorshell Crab - no, but it's crazy that it's almost good enough.

Shigeki, Jukai Visionary - another instant-speed recursion "spell". The land ramp option isn't the worst either, I'd probably just dump it onto the field if I started with it. Weird to think about using this but I think it's good, actually? Might enable some interesting variants tbh, although recursion always runs into the issue of revealing your power level.

Tamiyo's Compleation - It stays a creature, but this is easily one of the best neutralizing effects we've gotten thanks to flash. Being able to throw this onto someone's commander before they get out of control is pretty rad. 4 cmc is steep but it doesn't really matter that much imo. Not sure if this replaces our current options but it's definitely in the discussion, and imo knocks out every other neutralizer that lets them stay a creature. Even hits pw commanders.

Okay, that's all I saw. I'm getting tired through so I might have missed something. Pretty great set for us, ngl. Those legendary lands are a home run.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
New set time! Thank god we're out of tribal hell and got some good cards this time.

Colossal Skyturtle - Almost skipped right over this guy, but an instant-speed recursion spell is actually kinda nice, and the bounce is a good alternative too. The turtle itself isn't very interesting but I think this does have some utility.

Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire/Otawara, Soaring City/Boseiju, Who Endures - all of these are pretty insane in the loam version of this deck. So much stronger than MDFCs, for obvious reasons. Boseiju is an auto-include, full-stop. Otawara is strong but kinda pricey, I think I'd always run it. Eiganjo is...fine. Much less strong the second time around. Might be too hard to find room for.

Farewell is one of white's best board wipes and we've been in the market for a global exile wipe for a while. I know I'll be finding room for it.

March of Otherworldly Light - nice flexibility to have on a removal spell. When you gotta pitch half your hand to stop some early combo, sometimes you've gotta. It's never going to be amazing but it's reliable and solid, and pitching board wipes is frequently fine.

March of Swirling Mist - interesting, but I think phasing out is too temporary of a solution to nasty things.

Mirrorshell Crab - no, but it's crazy that it's almost good enough.

Shigeki, Jukai Visionary - another instant-speed recursion "spell". The land ramp option isn't the worst either, I'd probably just dump it onto the field if I started with it. Weird to think about using this but I think it's good, actually? Might enable some interesting variants tbh, although recursion always runs into the issue of revealing your power level.

Tamiyo's Compleation - It stays a creature, but this is easily one of the best neutralizing effects we've gotten thanks to flash. Being able to throw this onto someone's commander before they get out of control is pretty rad. 4 cmc is steep but it doesn't really matter that much imo. Not sure if this replaces our current options but it's definitely in the discussion, and imo knocks out every other neutralizer that lets them stay a creature. Even hits pw commanders.

Okay, that's all I saw. I'm getting tired through so I might have missed something. Pretty great set for us, ngl. Those legendary lands are a home run.
I think you hit everything important, I thought I was going to be clever by pointing out the turtle and shigeki, but you were on top of it XD.

The lands are actually kinda difficult to slot in, frustratingly, Boseiju, Who Endures (the most powerful) is the hardest to slot in as I'm only running one basic forest right now, Otawara, Soaring City (the second most powerful) Is the second hardest as my island count for Mystic Sanctuary is already dangerously low. and Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire is the easiest to slot in. I'll probably find room for all three but I need to reevaluate how stretched my mana base is... groan.

I was really excited for Tamiyo's Compleation but now I'm thinking it's not permanent enough, one sac outlet or removal spell and the commander is back in business Immovable Rod gets around this by having the ability to be activated multiple times. If I wanted multiple of these effects, Tamiyo's Compleation would look a lot better.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

The only thing that pinged my radar beyond what you wrote was Swift Reconguration. I ultimately think it is so much worse than Darksteel Mutation, Imprisoned in the Moon, Out of Time, and Song of the Dryads as far as an answer to obnoxious Commanders as to not really be that great, but it's at least really interesting. It doesn't turn off abilities, however, which is what kills it. Looking at the top 20 commanders, only Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow and Kaalia of the Vast get absolutely bodied by this. As you say, Tamiyo's Compleation as the first such instant-speed effect is probably better, and even then it's a tough sell over the current crop.

The only slam-dunk include imo is the lands, which are incredible. Farewell is of course good, and if anyone is still running Akroma's Vengeance or Austere Command as a "big nuke" or Final Judgment as an exile nuke. I'm moving away from that, personally - I am tending to find I want the "cheap" (2-3-4 CMC with discounts) wipes or the instant speed wipes exclusively.

I too had totally missed Colossal Skyturtle and Shigeki, Jukai Visionary as just for their channel effects. I have been asking for forever for an instant-speed Regrowth and we finally got there! I think those easily replace Regrowth and Wildest Dreams but maybe not Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”