Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL July Signups/Round 1

"Start with One"

Figure of Destiny, taken from Tumblr, by Scott M. Fischer and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Increasing Month here in the CCL. The cards will get bigger as we go along!

Challenge
Design a creature card that has mana value 1.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Yes, exactly 1. Not zero.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Friday, July 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 30th-July 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (July 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due July 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (July 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due July 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (July 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due July 30th)
  • Final (August, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Caller of the Meek w
Creature — Human Soldier (Rare)
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
You may cast the top card of your library if it's a creature card with power is 1 or less.
"Together, we can be stronger then each of us alone. Would you heed my call?"
1/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bump for exposure
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Life's Radiance W
Creature - Avatar (R)
As long as your life total is greater than your starting life total, Life's Radiance gets +X/+X, where X is the difference.
A light so vivid that it casts no shadows.
0/0

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Aetherbite Predator U
Creature - Shark (Uncommon)
Defender, vigilance
Whenever a permanent is returned to its owner's hand from the battlefield, Aetherbite Predator gets +3/+0 and can attack as though it didn't have defender until end of turn.
0/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Lost Soulmate -- U
Creature - Spirit Shapeshifter {R}
Lost Soulmate must block creatures named Lost Soulmate.
When Lost Soulmate enters the battlefield, the next creature to enter the battlefield enters as a copy of Lost Soulmate, except it doesn't have this ability.
"Forsaken and forlorn, the figure of a weeping woman can be seen walking along the cliff-edges of Golomar, singing an unrecognizeable song." -- Tales of the Toithann
1/1
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 1 year ago

non-entry pls do not score but do read bc it's super rad
Show
Hide
Whatsapp of the Muse U
Instant (U)
Draw a card.
Memetic 5U (If cast this spell for its memetic cost, at the beginning of the next end step, conjure a copy of this spell in your hand for each other spell you cast this turn.)
Waterbearer Youguan U
Creature — Moonfolk Cleric (C)
When Waterbearer Youguan enters the battlefield, put an amphora counter on target land you control.
Lands with amphora counters are Islands.
Whenever a land with an amphora counter becomes tapped, remove an amphora counter from it.
1/1
Last edited by barbecube 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
formerly willows

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Greeter of Heroes g
Creature - Human Bard {u}
Whenever a creature enters the bettlefield, Greeter of Heroes and that creature gain indestructible until the next end step.
1/1

OneAndOnly

@barbecube -- The criterion calls for a creature card. :)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Extending about another day until 23:59 Eastern on 7/12.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Goblin Elite Fusiliers R
Creature - Goblin Soldier {R}
Trample
2: You may tap or untap Goblin Elite Fusiliers. It deals 1 damage to its controller. Any player may activate this ability.
Toggo was right - they should have stuck to Rock.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed! Please critique all other contestants and make a top 3. Round 2 to come tomorrow.

OneAndOnly

Criterion: Design a creature card with mana value 1.
Reviews
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Caller of the Meek w
You may cast the top card of your library if it's a creature card with power is 1 or less.
1/1
This feels like a green card, and decidedly not a Soldier, either. The drawback of playing with the top card of the library revealed outweighs the ability to cast a 1cmc dude. You can pack your library to take better advantage of it, but a) you're still going to hit land sooner or later; b) you're still paying mana for the creatures, and c) then you're left with a wide field of little fellers. White does a good job of supporting that playstyle, with anthems and such, but your opponent is going to know whether you've got a counter or not -- and whether you're going to draw one, too.

The flavor text is better as "Will you heed my call?" rather than "Would..."
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Life's Radiance W
Creature - Avatar (R)
As long as your life total is greater than your starting life total, Life's Radiance gets +X/+X, where X is the difference.
0/0
This is a little more in white's usual bailiwick; the p/t set on life total reminds me of Serra Avatar. It's impossible to cast first turn without some unusual assistance, and the nature of the game is always going to work toward reducing its stats, so it's nowhere near a Death's Shadow, another obvious comparison.

I feel like there has to be a better way to word the ability. "Foo gets +1/+1 for each life you have above your startibng life total," perhaps?

The flavor text doesn't need the "that": "A light so vivid it casts no shadow."
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Aetherbite Predator U
Defender, vigilance
Whenever a permanent is returned to its owner's hand from the battlefield, Aetherbite Predator gets +3/+0 and can attack as though it didn't have defender until end of turn.
0/3
First instinct: It feels weird to have a shark with defender. Maybe a different type of sea creature? (A jellyfish, perhaps?)

1 cmc for a 0/3 with defender goes all the way back to Alpha, with Wall of Wood. In the decades since, it's all about adding upside. The ability to turn into a Hill Giant and attack (and block again) is all right, but -- yeah, the shark bit is getting to me. "Whenever a creature dies" just feels more shark-y.

The ability stacks; I missed that on the first view. Bounding four creatures to turn it into a 12/3 must feel like a power-play for Timmy! But, the ability can trigger during awkward spots, too; anything in the post-combat main phase just ends up triggering uselessly.
barbecube wrote:
1 year ago
Waterbearer Youguan U
When Waterbearer Youguan enters the battlefield, put an amphora counter on target land you control.
Whenever a land with an amphora counter becomes tapped, remove an amphora counter from it.
1/1
This feels a little underwhelming. It turns a land into an Island -- once. If it turned it into an Island permanently (as long as it has an amphora counter), it would be slightly overpowered land 'destruction,' If it flooded three or found lands when it entered play, or worked like Cyclopean Tomb... or shifted the counter to another land ... hmmm. Also, there's a huge power difference between "turns into an Island" and "turns into an Island, and loses its other types and abilities" --

"Amphora" makes me think of Theros, while "Moonfolk" makes me think Kamigawa, so there's a little flavor mismatch.

It definitely feels more complex than a common should. The ability doesn't make much sense on a higher-cmc creature, but this sort of soft land-destruction usually costs more.
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Greeter of Heroes g
Whenever a creature enters the bettlefield, Greeter of Heroes and that creature gain indestructible until the next end step.
1/1
Veerrrrryy straightforward. Also feels Theros-y. Feels like it should interact more with legendary / historic cards, somehow. (After all, not every creature can be called "heroic".)

Definitely deserves flavor text. There's a typo in the word "battlefield."
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Goblin Elite Fusiliers R
Trample
2: You may tap or untap Goblin Elite Fusiliers. It deals 1 damage to its controller. Any player may activate this ability.
2/2
I can't think of a reason to play this -- sorry!. Donate.dec, I suppose. You can't attack with it without possibly inflicting more damage to yourself than you would inflict with it. Increasing the power just pulls all the attention toward it, and nullifies the the rest of the game -- not very interesting.
Ranking
Show
Hide
1. Henlock's Greeter of Heroes
2. slimytrout's Life's Radiance
3. netn10's Caller of the Meek
4. kwanyeegor-ii's Aetherbite Predator
5 barbecube's Waterbearer Youguan
6. MonoRedMage's Goblin Fusilier

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 1 year ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Caller of the Meek w
1/1

I don't esp see this making sense in monowhite.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Life's Radiance W
Creature - Avatar (R)
0/0

Wording could be cleaner imo. Maybe "Life's Radiance's power and toughness are equal to the amount your life total is greater than your starting life total." or sth similar. That aside, design-wise this is a cute inverted Death's Shadow, which was obviously the intention...I'm not sure I'm all that excited about the difference in incentives though, because, unlike life loss, life gain isn't a risk. This converts defense, rather than risk, into threat, and I'm not sure that's a great thing to do.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Aetherbite Predator U
Defender, vigilance
0/3

This is a lot of words but I like it a decent amount. I'm not sure vigilance is doing all that much for me here though.
OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Lost Soulmate -- U
When Lost Soulmate enters the battlefield, the next creature to enter the battlefield enters as a copy of Lost Soulmate, except it doesn't have this ability.
"Forsaken and forlorn, the figure of a weeping woman can be seen walking along the cliff-edges of Golomar, singing an unrecognizeable song." -- Tales of the Toithann
1/1

Idk what we're doing here at all. With flash and an adjusted mana cost we're cooking with gas; as it is it jams up play until someone draws a way to create a creature they don't care about very much, and that's just frustrating. Also, memory issues.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Greeter of Heroes g
1/1

This is cute and probably just fine.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Goblin Elite Fusiliers R
Trample
2/2

I'm not sure that's how that word is spelled, but no mind.

I can't really say much I like about this card. It seems designed for never seeing play unless it can be abused in some kind of infinite loop combo.

Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. slimytrout
edited to add: btw a youguan is a sort of Taoist priest
formerly willows

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Caller of the Meek w
1/1

This is a neat twist on the 1/1 payoffs. 4/5.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Life's Radiance W
Creature - Avatar (R)
0/0
White shadow is cool, albeit way weaker for obvious reasons. I think adding lifelink so it can grow itself is safe enough. 3/5
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Aetherbite Predator U
Defender, vigilance
0/3
Sharks get an auto 5/5 from me.
OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Lost Soulmate -- U
1/1

If I was a perfect person, my personal grievances against Permeating Mass wouldn't spill over here. However I'm not and they do. 1/5
Henlock
Show
Hide
Greeter of Heroes g
1/1

Solid and very printable. 4/5
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Goblin Elite Fusiliers R
Trample
2/2

Dang ol' prophecy era drawbacks holding good red cards down. If it dinged the player who activated the ability I'd be with it. 2/5

Top 3
Show
Hide
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. Netn10
3. Henlock
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

netn10
Show
Hide
Not sure why this needs to reveal the top card (see Elsha of the Infinite for an example of how to do it without this), but otherwise I like this a lot.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
A shark with 0-power and defender? Seems like a major flavor fail to me. The card concept is cool though.
OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
I don't love the fact that this ends up creating a standoff where neither player wants to turn their creatures into a 1/1. I also worry about how it would work with effects that cause multiple creatures to enter at once, like token producers or Collected Company.
barbecube
Show
Hide
Feels pretty low-impact, as well as a little fiddly. I think it would be cleaner if it read "...put an amphora counter on target land you control. That land is an Island as long as it has an amphora counter on it."
Henlock
Show
Hide
Not sure why it stops at the end step until end of turn, but I like the overall idea.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Base rate 1-mana 2/2 trample in red is a above rate, which is why the drawback is necessary. And yeah... that's a serious drawback, since you're rarely going to want to pay 2 and ping yourself for vigilance. Definitely a good incentive to get the game over quickly though.
T3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. Henlock
3. MonoRedMage
@TheAmericanSpirit Glad to see you entering in round 2, but I don't think you're supposed to provide critiques for a round unless you participated in it. Also you seem to have missed barbecube's entry.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

@slimytrout Ah, I must have misread thr rules. I thought we had to provide critiques for both rounds even if we only entered one of the two. My bad!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

crits
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Caller of the Meek w
1/1
Interesting design but probably abuseable, would be used more for combos than anything fair
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Life's Radiance W
Creature - Avatar (R)
0/0
Death's Shadow mirror, that looks pretty nice... feels like Serra Ascendant but different, still a pretty win-more card lol
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
Lost Soulmate -- U
1/1
I like the flavor a lot and how it plays into the design, it's really close to blue straight-up removal though
barbecube wrote:
1 year ago
non-entry pls do not score but do read bc it's super rad
Show
Hide
Whatsapp of the Muse U
Instant (U)
Draw a card.
Memetic 5U (If cast this spell for its memetic cost, at the beginning of the next end step, conjure a copy of this spell in your hand for each other spell you cast this turn.)
Waterbearer Youguan U
1/1
blue is not suposes to get mana adding creatures but this is really weak... all it does is fix one mana to bllue if it even can do that. I think the design space is maybe interesting but the card is too underpowred
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Greeter of Heroes g
1/1
this looks pretty nice, weird that it works for opps creatures as well though... I guess that makes it fairer though
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Goblin Elite Fusiliers R
Trample
2/2
hmm an aggressive cost but that drawback seems too harsh... your opponents can burn you enough to get a heavy advantage
Top 3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2oneandonly
3 henlock
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”