Malcom and Vial Build a Diorama: Backgrounds Tribal

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

The first deck concept that came to my mind when Backgrounds were shown was that each background add its text to each commander. Therefore, the best way to use backgrounds is to play commanders with Partner and have two of them. The best example would be Agent of the Iron Throne with Guild Artisan or Tavern Brawler with Passionate Archaeologist each doubled across two commanders. The reliance on the commanders in order to multiply the backgrounds means that those partners needed to be low MV, in Black and Red, which means Vial Smasher the Fierce. After all the background cards were revealed, and trying to make Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker work, I decided that the partner needed to better support the vaguely connected themes implied by the backgrounds and determined that Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator was better for my purposes: lower MV, less of a removal magnet, and makes treasure.
The Diorama

Backgrounds: casting from Exile

Backgrounds: Yup, those are backgrounds

Backgrounds are Legendary

Staying Loyal to the Theme

"Pirate Tribal"

Dungeoneering Excuses for Delver

Multiplying Commanders was my Theme, right?

Current Questionable inclusions

Approximate Total Cost:

This is very much a first draft, but I got a game in yesterday and managed to control the table's life total at instant speed via treasures and Agent of the Iron Throne, where the last opponent died to their removal on Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator taking their last life point after sacrificing 9 treasures in response. I think adding some more lieutenant cards might round out the deck.

Realistically, the plan could be improved by dropping some of the backgrounds that do effectively nothing (Dungeon Delver) and focusing on the backgrounds that are most worthwhile to use with Partner (Passionate Archaeologist, Agent of the Iron Throne). I'm probably not going to make those changes, and having a fun(ny) deck to play into newer players with precons as an introduction is likely going to keep this deck around for a while.

I'd definitely welcome feedback, especially for cards which make some of my currently underwhelming backgrounds more useful. A way to remove +1/+1 counters to make Haunted One and Candlekeep Sage a solid draw engine would be nice.
Last edited by Crazy Monkey 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Tags:

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

With the reprinting of Dockside Extortionist, I am considering it over Kalain, Reclusive Painter with the excuse that it is a pirate. I also should swap Conspiracy for Maskwood Nexus so that Captain N'ghathrod has some more support. I'm also planning to swap Young Red Dragon // Bathe in Gold for Fain, the Broker so that undying can be more useful.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I got some more games in, one long grind of a game where the monarchy and initiative were cordially passed around for 6 to 9 turns and one where voltron killed the table on turn 5. Beyond making tokens, there aren't any defensive backgrounds and my interaction requires significant setup.

Descent into Avernus has officially killed me, so that's on the chopping block. I realized that Street Urchin with either enough Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigators or Xorn can fuel an infinite damage combo via treasure, so Xorn is probably going to replace descent. It wouldn't have dealt with the hexproof Platinum Angel off the Undercity, but could have interacted more in other games.

I'm thinking about including Mirror Box as a serious powerup to Shameless Charlatan, which would enable a comnnander+backgrounds only version of the Street Urchin infinite. I'm also considering Hurl Through Hell as additional on-theme removal with the piracy, theft, and cast from exile themes.
Commander Decks

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Lessons Learned: This deck can definitely politic. A (generally) unthreatening 2/2 commander trading the initiative around and generating incremental value flies literally under the radar. However, once something like Breeches, Brazen Plunderer or Captain N'ghathrod lands this changes. Apparently people dislike it when their cards are plundered, who could have seen that coming. I found Access Tunnel as a card I'd overlooked for a recent deckbuild, so that's a nice way to keep the treasure and exiled cards flowing. I also finalized the Xorn swap after another game where Descent into Avernus backfired. I've thrown Ion Storm into the flex slot for now, because it lets me capitalize on Candlekeep Sage and Haunted One. However, that may been too corner cases (even for me) and drop for Hurl Through Hell once I have one.

I'm also becoming more skeptical of Xander's Pact and Zara, Renegade Recruiter. I feel like there should be a better equivalent card to Pact here, but Fevered Suspicion costs more and does less if cast from exile without Nucklavee. I guess I should try it. Zara is another evasive pirate, and is hilarious with Brainstealer Dragon, but doesn't have much other support. I'm considering Share the Spoils as a flavor swap, although that reduces the number of possible triggers from Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator.
Commander Decks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”