Your most nostalgic block

Which block's cards make you feel the most nostalgic?

Alpha/Beta
2%
Early sets (Arabian Nights - Fallen Empires)
4%
Ice Age
12%
Mirage
2%
Tempest
4%
Urza's Saga
10%
Mercadian Masques
No votes
Invasion
13%
Odyssey
No votes
Onslaught
10%
Mirrodin
4%
Kamigawa
4%
Ravnica
6%
Time Spiral
No votes
Lorwyn
2%
Shadowmoor
No votes
Alara
4%
Zendikar
4%
Scars of Mirrodin
8%
Innistrad
4%
Return to Ravnica
4%
Theros
No votes
Khans of Tarkir
4%
Battle for Zendikar
No votes
Shadows over Innistrad
No votes
Kaladesh
No votes
Amonkhet
2%
Ixalan
No votes

Total votes: 52

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

IMPORTANT - this isn't your favorite block. It's the block whose cards make you feel the most nostalgic. Apologies to the indecisive, one choice only.

If you primarily feel nostalgic for a set released after the block structure was abolished, with respect, you aren't allowed to feel nostalgic yet. Go play with your LEGOs. Also I don't feel like typing out a bunch of individual sets.

I'm curious because I notice that for me, the set I'm most nostalgic for isn't necessarily the earliest ones I played. I feel like some sets inherently have stronger imagery that's stuck in my head more than others, and defines my early magic memories.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I started in Masques and re-started in Alara. However, most of my early cards were Urza's block, with Critchlow or Foglio art BEING Magic to me. Also, my library had the MTG Official Encyclopedia Volume 4 (Urza's block/CLASSIC Sixth Edition/Unglued/P3K) and none of the others. I always had it checked out. So I'm an Urza's guy.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

definitely Ice Age. first time I saw gold-bordered cards and I was entranced, especially by Giant Trap Door Spider :3 still have a big collection of it and still prefer its art to anything else, using THIS wild growth|ice wherever I can!

there's a bunch of classics in the block anyway, especially in red n black. Orcish Librarian and Pyrokinesis and Contagion and Demonic Consultation and Dystopia rule so much and are so totally out-of-vogue compared to modern design that they just stay iconic forever

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

Urza's Saga. It feels very "Magic", with a feeling of ancient history and future in the making. I started in Late Mirage/Early Tempest, so the Urza's Block kinda tells the origin of many, many stories to come.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

Ice Age for nostalgia/favourite. I loved it, even though it was mostly crap. I loved Necropotence|ICE for power, but like, things like Infernal Denizen were just so weird and cool. Alliances had some cool stuff, too; Lim-Dûl's Paladin|ALL brings fond memories, Phyrexian Boon|ALL, Browse|ALL are all cards I played heavily. Also, Jaya Ballard, Task Mage flavour text, everywhere.

Coldsnap was super welcome for me when it returned to Magic; throwbacks in the flavour text, and mechanics.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

IIRC
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
I'm curious because I notice that for me, the set I'm most nostalgic for isn't necessarily the earliest ones I played. I feel like some sets inherently have stronger imagery that's stuck in my head more than others, and defines my early magic memories.
Ditto. I started just after Legends and right before the release of The Dark, but I chose Ice Age as the most nostalgic because it was around when I was becoming comfortable with the game (everything was pretty much self taught in those days, and the Revised "manual" that came with the starter pack was rather . . . opaque), it was my first pre-release (DCI# 5079 IIRC), and I loved the Snow mechanic (at least at first).
folding_music wrote:
1 year ago
definitely Ice Age. first time I saw gold-bordered cards and I was entranced, especially by Giant Trap Door Spider :3 still have a big collection of it and still prefer its art to anything else, using THIS wild growth|ice wherever I can!
For me, it was all about the Foglio IA Lure
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
It's when I started and it has the Deepest Lore. I was so disappointed by Lim-Dûl the Necromancer in TS.
^This^ - Ditto Kaervek the Merciless . . .
Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
Alliances had some cool stuff, too; Lim-Dûl's Paladin brings fond memories, Phyrexian Boon, Browse are all cards I played heavily. Also, Jaya Ballard, Task Mage flavour text, everywhere.
Alliances wasn't bad, but I held a grudge - came in second at the pre-release cause the player that took first somehow got 3 Swamp Mosquitos and I lost to poison (not enough fliers in my sealed pool)
V/R

Treamayne

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

It's Onslaught block, no contest.

I started playing just before Onslaught itself was released. I had bought some cards back in Urza's Saga times but never got around to learning how to actually play until years later.

I have so many fond memories of cards and decks from that Odyssey/Onslaught blocks time period (if it was Pick 2, Odyssey would be the 2nd block I'd pick). A number of my friends who I played 40k with got into Magic shortly after I did, so we were all geeking out over everything in these blocks together.

Astral Slide decks were such a big thing for me. I ran RW, RWg, UW, and BW slide decks all at various times over the years. I wish I could recapture that for commander but the 1 of nature and other limits make it tough (I've considered going the Zur route but I still don't think it's gonna feel the same)

Exalted Angel was probably my favorite card, I had multiple play sets.

Psychatog decks, UG Madness, Mirari's Wake decks, all of those were so cool (very Odyssey dependent but active in this Onslaught time period)

The Goblin, Elf, and Zombie Tribal decks were really fun as a beginner too. My first deck was a Cleric deck from a precon (i think actually fron Odyssey) and Onslaught block had a bunch of clerics too so that was great.

Phage the Untouchable and Akroma, Angel of Wrath were wild big "Timmy" cards.

I like a lot of what has come after this block, and retroactively before this block, but that's the one that really has a ton of memories for me.

DirkGently

Treamayne wrote:
1 year ago
I was so disappointed by [...] Kaervek the Merciless . . .
How dare.

For real, though, if Merciless was disappointing you must have gone spiraling into depression over Kaervek, the Spiteful.
Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
It's Onslaught block, no contest.
It is for me too, also with Odyssey close behind. Funny thing is, I was way too clueless to understand the popular archetypes at that point. It's only with hindsight that I've recognized the decks that my classmates were using to demolish my garbage pile decks, lol.

What I find interesting and why I made the topic is that, for whatever reason, despite having a lot of my early cards from Invasion block, invasion doesn't evoke nearly the same feels as onslaught and odyssey. Invasion's aesthetic seems kinda timeless, in a generic way, whereas onslaught seems so much more distinctive. Maybe it's because so many cards feature the fighting pits in the background, to the point that the repetition makes the setting memorable? Not sure. But that set feels older to me than invasion, despite being several years later. Weird.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Treamayne

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Treamayne wrote:
1 year ago
I was so disappointed by [...] Kaervek the Merciless . . .
How dare.

For real, though, if Merciless was disappointing you must have gone spiraling into depression over Kaervek, the Spiteful.
I don't mind Spiteful - neither like nor dislike. It's too bland to garner more emotion than that.

As for Kaervek the Merciless, I always felt the flavor was wrong because his damage should go to the opponent casting the spell. But, because it doesn't he became annoyingly overplayed - and always used as a Kingmaker, instead of a punisher (to be more specific, I have never played against Kaervek where he was used to actually deal damage to the player casting the spell)

So, bad flavor became bad play experiences became overplayed and annoyingly bad play experiences.
Fixed Kaervek
Show
Hide
Kaervek the Merciless.jpg
V/R

Treamayne

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I got started drafting In time spiral block, but Alara was what hooked me forever. What a %$#% awesome limited format that was, with so many badass cards to make work. Ravnica gets all the faction love, but Alara was twice the block any of the ravnica sequels were. Give me varied environments over some dirty city any day.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Invasion, with Ice Age right behind. I can vividly remember Santino Boliva opening a blue binder and seeing Shambling Strider. Everything about that binder spoke to 8 year old me.

Invasion is when I really started playing with my friends. Rubberbanded decks in our backpacks, throwing down 75-80 card decks, getting wrecked by Spiritmonger and not understanding why.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

I didn't even play until IA, but ABU cards were the first I ever saw, read, handled, sniffed: back when Waldenbooks had AN on the shelf. I had buddies that played 300+ card sleeveless stacks of ABU cards - basically their entire collections - literally full of moxen and loti. Disgusting. But I couldn't afford Magic AND 2nd Edition Dungeons & Dragons. The local sports card shop had a Lotus for $8 and moxen for $5. I mean, who in their right mind would pay those prices for a game anyways!? Heh. I did eventually collect and play them all (and then some) by the time of Masques, only to sell it all off shortly after since I was unaware of any Vintage scene. *sigh*
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Even though I started with Tempest, I feel Onslaught is block that takes me back the most. It has this unique weirdness to the plot, the creature designs, and even the way the lands looked that it stands out from all the other sets as a period of magic I like to mentally revisit. Several of my most fondly remembered cards are there too like Dragon Tyrant and Scion of Darkness.

Sadly with of course the exception of fetches, each and every single one of those cards have been massively power-crept out of the format so ironically I don't usually run any of its non-fetch cards...

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

I went with Zen because it's the one where I started being serious about playing, took part in a PTQ, and set up some official FNMs for my group. Bought my first booster box ever World Wake.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently

@Treamayne Wait, that's your big grievance? Besides being a pretty minor flavor change, you do realize he was designed before commander and multiplayer had any sway as a format, right? There'd be very little reason to waste words templating him that way in 2006.

Also he'd be garbage in commander. Eats removal immediately every time. Just what I want from my 7-drop.

Right now he's only in 2% of BR decks, itself a small subset of total decks. Maybe he was more popular back in the day, but I can't remember many games where he was played at any point in time. Sounds like a personal problem.

edit: To be a little less defensive of one of my favorite cards - it sounds more like he's frustrating for you to play against than he is disappointing per se.

@Igzex Hey, onslaught's still got stuff. The 1 mana cycling lands, Chain of Vapor is (to my knowledge) still the only 1mv instant removal spell that hits any nonland permanent type, Enchantress's Presence, Patriarch's Bidding, Weathered Wayfarer, Gratuitous Violence, Riptide Laboratory, Insurrection, Elvish GuidanceCarrion Feeder, Temple of the False God, Forgotten Ancient, Seedborn Muse...

Also I know I voted for Onslaught but it's only got 2 votes, so either you or Ruiner isn't repping the ONS team properly :P
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Oh right almost forgot to vote, thanks. I was too busy thinking about my nostalgic memories of Onslaught and its weird gummy no-mouth people or how the climax of the Scourge book got really friggin' weird.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Also I know I voted for Onslaught but it's only got 2 votes, so either you or Ruiner isn't repping the ONS team properly :P
I made my vote before even posting. Supporting Onslaught love was that important hah

Neptune

Post by Neptune » 1 year ago

I keep asking when we're finally going to Return to Ulgrotha.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Neptune wrote:
1 year ago
Around the time of Shandalar: The Sequel.

Treamayne

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Neptune wrote:
1 year ago
I keep hoping GoG will be able to pick up the old Microprose game and release it for Win 10
V/R

Treamayne

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

I polled some Magic buddies and these were the results:

Ice Age x1
Mirage x1
Tempest x1
Ravnica: City of Guilds x1
Time Spiral x1
Amonket x1
Guilds of Ravnica x1 (including Ravnica Allegiance and War of the Spark though technically not a block, they sure seemed like one)
Last edited by Legend 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Treamayne wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Neptune wrote:
1 year ago
I keep hoping GoG will be able to pick up the old Microprose game and release it for Win 10
Can't wait to Timetwister into an army of Black Vise with some Ancestral Recall just in case. Now that's real Magic!

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 1 year ago

Team Onslaught here. I was drawn to start playing Magic because I was sold that Scourge was a dragon set. My first booster actually contained two rares, one of which was a Day of the Dragons. Some boosters later I pulled out my first dragon ever, Dragon Mage :love:

NotARooster

Post by NotARooster » 1 year ago

I only started playing late 2016, and I didn't really get into the game until Amonkhet and Ixalan, so those are my most nostalgic sets. Amonkhet block in particular has my favorite legendary creatures

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”