[Assorted][Daily] SecretInfiltrator's SecretBase

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

It's been a while, is bury your shortcut for 'put in the graveyard from the specified zone'?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Exactly. It should be easy to tell here since the card is a Processor and uses the Processor mechanical space of burying exiled cards of your opponents.

---

Card of the Day 2020-02-09 >

Ravenous Rabbits {2}{G}
Creature – Rabbit (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~'s power is less than the number of lands you control, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
2/2

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-02-10 >

Chittering Bones {1}{B}
Creature – Rat Skeleton (U)
{2}{B}{B}, Discard a card: Return ~ and up to one other Rat card with converted mana card 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
2/1

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-02-11 >

Herald of the Revolution {1}{B}{R}
Creature – Azra Rebel (U)
Haste
Whenever ~ attacks, scry 2. You may reveal the top card of your library. If you reveal a Rebel card this way, put it into your hand.
3/2

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-02-12 >

Mirror Self {2}{U}
Creature – Reflection (U)
As ~ enters the battlefield, you may choose a creature on the battlefield. If you do, ~'s power becomes equal to that creature's toughness and vice versa.
0/0

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-02-13 >

Risen Rhox {4}{B}{B}
Creature – Rhino Skeleton (R)
Menace (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
When ~ dies, you may pay {2}{B}. If you do, return it to the battlefield tapped.
5/5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

I like this card a whole lot as a mirror to the original, especially using that particular recursion ability, which is what new players used to think regenerate did.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator

Plus, it's incredibly fun to design around and adds some flicker-like archetypes to black-green.

Card of the Day 2020-01-14 >

Skyship Mechanic {2}{U}
Creature – Metathran Rigger (C)
When ~ enters the battlefield, return target Vehicle card from your graveyard to your hand.
2/1

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Nice, on flavor recursion for blue, and since it only recurs a subset of a card type (vehicles rather than artifacts), the fairly low CC is fine. All around a well designed card.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-01-15 >

Undercity Visitor {1}{B}
Creature – Vampire Rogue (C)
Machination (Whenever a card is put into a graveyard for the first time each turn, untap this creature.)
{B}, {T}: Each opponent loses 1 life.
1/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Is that a Dimir mechanic I see?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

It certainly feels on point for the guild.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator

That's indeed the inspiration for machination as a mechanic.

Card of the Day 2020-02-16 >

Karametra's Familiar {G/W}{G/W}{G/W}{G/W}{G/W}
Enchantment Creature – Sable (R)
{G/W}{G/W}{G/W}: Create a 2/1 colorless Sable artifact creature token.
{G/W}{G/W}{G/W}, Exile ~: Target Sable becomes a copy of ~. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
5/6

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

That almost feels mythic worthy. Almost.

It certainly can lead to some fun shenanigans with Populate.

What I am trying to say is that it is a very good card, at least for commander.

SecretInfiltrator

Mentioning Commander, I actually thought about making it legendary, but "Legendary Enchantment Creature" is hard on type line space and it already keeps itself alive with its abilities, so there is more of a chance to find yourself with a dead second copy outside of a Highlander format.

---

Card of the Day 2020-02-17 >

Acidic Newt {B}
Creature – Salamander (U)
When ~ dies, you lose 2 life and bury the top two cards of your library.
2/2

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Yeah, making it legendary would have been a bad call.

As for the newt, it's a nice callback to the heyday of Sui-black. Cheap creature with a hefty drawback. Only real issue is the bury part. You don't bury cards from the top of your library. You bury permanents in play. Removing cards from the top of your library is closer to sanity loss. People have been campaigning WotC for years to officially call it milling, but no luck so far. >.<

SecretInfiltrator

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Only real issue is the bury part. You don't bury cards from the top of your library. You bury permanents in play.
Tell that to WotC. Even if that wasn't precedent though... My philosophy is that burying is about where stuff goes, not where it comes from I don't want to create the inconsistent kind of wording that we have for "dying" either.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Only real issue is the bury part. You don't bury cards from the top of your library. You bury permanents in play.
Tell that to WotC. Even if that wasn't precedent though... My philosophy is that burying is about where stuff goes, not where it comes from I don't want to create the inconsistent kind of wording that we have for "dying" either.
If you are going to use something WotC does as precedent, at least use the current wording. :laugh:
Gatherer wrote:2GG: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, put it into your graveyard.

SecretInfiltrator

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
If you are going to use something WotC does as precedent, at least use the current wording. :laugh:
That's like asking me to use the current wording for islandhome after I decide to return it for a custom card, the whole point of introducing a keyword like that is to change the current wording. I use the wording from the time the keywod action (though the concept of a "keyword action" had not been formalized back then) "bury" was still in use on official cards to demonstrate that if it had persisted it would be used the exact way I do for cards from the top of your library. That's what you had a problem with.

The reason "bury" was discontinued is that it was rarely used in this useful way and instead mostly showed up on cards like Wrath of God and Terror and was a hoser to regeneration (because it circumvented destruction, outright; a forgotten detail of history is that the whole "can't be regenerated" wording is just a close approximation of that).

"Bury" means "put into the graveyard" and that's how I use it. For consistency's sake I don't pick and choose and hence get far more out of it than otherwise. To come back to your argument that "you bury permanents in play", I have a perfect example of a card that with my proposed use would use the term bury: Buried Alive. The above example just shows that my use there is consistent with the historical use of the term.

Last but not least: Milling. Introducing bury actually shortens mill-text already. And you can bury memories and unwanted thoughts in idioms. So by reintroducing the term to the game and just not using it on removal I have found a more flavorful term that can be used for milling and reasonably coexist with exiling, but doesn't only shorten mill-text, but every now and then also other graveyard-related ability text.

tl;dr: If you consider it "luck" to get a phrase for milling that replaces the current wording, then it seems questionable for you to argue against somebody introducing a new phrasing for milling not matching the "current wording".

p.s.: I bet there are some great flavor text writers out there that even can write new flavor text for Millstone and Grindstone that bridges the gap between milling and burying - after all both stones produce small particles that get lost and buried in time... or you get buried in... all that dust your mind is turned into...

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Fair enough. I still think it is silly. The card is still good though. I like it a lot.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-02-18 >

Silverstorm Blademaster {2}{W}{W}
Creature – Fox Samurai (C)
Flash (You may cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.)
First strike (This creature deals combat damage before creatures without first strike.)
2/3

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Feels kinda weird to have a Samurai without Bushido, but it is a solid common regardless. It's a nice combat trick.

SecretInfiltrator

I feel the identity of Samurai was too narrow being entirely tied to a set-specific keyword mechanic, so I wanted to explore what Samurai could be outside of "creature with bushido". I took a similar approach to the name. No Japanism. No "kitsune", no "bushi", no "ronin", no "yojimbo", no "hatamoto". I feel, the type line carries enough weight to align this with Kamigawa without falling into the trap of relying too much on cardnames and keywords to tie the major tribes to the theme.

A solid common that now could e. g. represent Kamigawa in a Core Set is exactly what I aimed for. Something like Ninjas got in Throatseeker and Phantom Ninja.

---

Card of the Day 2020-02-19 >

Sandstorm Trooper {1}{R/W}{R/W}
Creature – Sand Warrior (C)
{1}{R}: ~ gets +2/-2 until end of turn.
{1}{W}: ~ gets -2/+2 until end of turn.
2/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Right, there are now non-ninjutsu Ninjas, whose abilities support the tribe's themes (which prominently do include ninjutsu). I think I see you're trying to do the same - obviously Silverstorm Blademaster does its best work blocking.

Sidenote: I can't believe that statline with those abilities has never been done before. But it very much has not.

Sandstorm Trooper looks good.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

@SecretInfiltrator: I agree completely. I just said that it felt weird, which is mostly because it's never been done before, and as I said it is a very solid common card. It is neither to powerful for a common, nor to weak to see constructed play, and it does capture the flavor wonderfully.

As for the Sandstorm Trooper, I like it. It's a very Boros'y card. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”