Change in Card Stock

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but at first I had a large concern about some newer cards being fakes but as I opened some packs the other day all of the cards in the pack felt thinner and more plastic like in nature than cards traditionally have been. I haven't really heard about anything on this but I guess I am concerned as these cards have a very different feel to them between being thinner and more bendy like shifting from a paper / cardboard to a more plastic like finish. I would still be chalking them up as potential fakes but I opened like six packs from my LGS and all of the cards felt like that and immediately afterwards received pre ordered cards from cardkingdom in the same feel.

I have a bunch of concerns with this change but I guess my biggest one is it feels like all the new cards are marked. There is a very distinct difference in thickness as well as how they behave which makes me sort of feel like we suddenly have a variance in officially printed magic cards to the point of having marked cards.

I guess I would be interested to hear more from the community on this change. I don't know if its just specific printers or if this change is now all new cards.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

I didnt notice much of a card feel but the foils I got from new capena felt really different, like fdull almost non noticeable. If I hadnt opened then meself I would think they were fake

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

This article from TCGPlayer about Magic Printing Technology seems extremely relevent to this discussion: More MTG Cards Are Being Cut With Lasers
Peter Day wrote:Like most trading card game publishers, Wizards of the Coast doesn't print the cards they design in-house. Instead, they outsource the printing of Magic cards to companies around the world, and while these companies are all expected to maintain certain standards, you can still find differences in the final product.
Part of the difference is probably a combination of new technology, environmental factors, supply chain shortages affecting certain stock, different printers being used, etc.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I picked up a bundle today and had two off-centered/miscut/whatever you want to call its. I'd expect a much lower error rate.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 1 year ago

yeah, its about where the card was printed.

you would have to check each individual pack to see where it was printed. cards printed in Japan/China/or that local are the best. . .and it degrades from there.

one piece of advice is maybe get into cigars, that way you can get a large humidor. then you just open all the packs in the humidor while you are smoking cigars. keep that humidity regulated that way you keep your foils flat.

emily
No TERFs on Gruul Turf
Answers: 1
Pronoun: she / her

Post by emily » 1 year ago

The N82O Molecule wrote:
1 year ago
-snip-
one piece of advice is maybe get into cigars, that way you can get a large humidor. then you just open all the packs in the humidor while you are smoking cigars. keep that humidity regulated that way you keep your foils flat.
Please, he's already into Magic, don't make him spend even more money.
Spelled with a lowercase "e". Formerly master_of_the_universe on MTGsalvation. Two time DCC champ (06/21, 07/21).

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 1 year ago

one piece of advice is maybe get into "dungeons". the ones below the basement if you have one. that way you can get a large dehumidifier. then you just open all the packs in the dungeon while you are smoking cigars. just empty the water into your plants when needed and keep your foils flat. XD

MaritLage
Catholic Nun
Pronoun: she / her

Post by MaritLage » 1 year ago

Honestly , i live in a humid city and foils pringle so fast it devalues them . Prefer matte tbh .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”