CommandFest Richmond! Who's coming?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I think I've finally finished updating my decks for this event! They've gone gold, so to speak. Side note, fetchlands are super cheap right now. I ordered a Misty Rainforest and a Scalding Tarn for pickup at the event for $53. That's not chump change, especially when it comes to cardboard rectangles, but it wasn't long ago you couldn't even get one of those for that much. You can get a playset for less than what a single copy went for a few years ago.

So many other things are pricy as hell though. While updating my decks on Moxfield, I noticed how huge their overall price tags are now. I can't even begin to understand how people get into this hobby in 2022.

So...finally...

Everyone should cancel all of their non-CommandFest plans and go to CommandFest Richmond! It's gonna be a blast! Do it do it DOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIT!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

It's official; the possibility of my attendance is sunk. I have been unable to assemble another carpool and with insufficient means to bear the cost alone, I just can't justify it at the time. @RxPhantom I swear I will make the next one. Forgive me.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 1 year ago

Tragedy strikes for @TheAmericanSpirit! Sad panda face.

@RxPhantom I'll PM you tomorrow when I'm at the convention center so we can meet up for some games! My brother and longtime MTG comrade will be there somewhere between 9-10AM, but I'll keep my phone open so I can look for your PM.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
It's official; the possibility of my attendance is sunk. I have been unable to assemble another carpool and with insufficient means to bear the cost alone, I just can't justify it at the time. @RxPhantom I swear I will make the next one. Forgive me.
I'm heartbroken, my friend. We'll make it happen one day. I really was looking forward to it though.
benjameenbear wrote:
1 year ago
Tragedy strikes for @TheAmericanSpirit! Sad panda face.

@RxPhantom I'll PM you tomorrow when I'm at the convention center so we can meet up for some games! My brother and longtime MTG comrade will be there somewhere between 9-10AM, but I'll keep my phone open so I can look for your PM.
Cool! I'm not going to be there until 10:30am at the earliest. I have to drop my daughter off at school in the morning, then go back home and spruce myself up. I've yet to use Nexus on my phone, but I'll do it this time, dammit!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Well Gentlemen, best of luck today! May you both represent our humble forums in the most stylish and enviable of fashions, and may your victories be swift, unforgiving, and surprisingly pleasant for all involved!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

Have fun and be safe to y'all going.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Magiqmaster

Post by Magiqmaster » 1 year ago

Hey, would those who attended care for a quick overview of their attendance?

Not that I participated in this exchange, but I am still curious to see if you had fun...

Cheers

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Magiqmaster wrote:
1 year ago
Hey, would those who attended care for a quick overview of their attendance?

Not that I participated in this exchange, but I am still curious to see if you had fun...

Cheers
I was actually working on a larger write-up, but I'll post that later. I had a great time. I made some new friends. It was easy to find games. There was plenty of room. My only real gripe was the prize structure, which can and should function differently for Commander than 60-card competitive formats. They also didn't leverage the large volume of content creators and MTG personalities that were in attendance. They could've done panels, live-streamed games, etc. But overall I had a great time. Sometimes I get a little down on the MTG community for one reason or another, but I had nothing but positive interactions at this event. It was very encouraging. Pre-game conversations have been normalized almost to the point of ubiquity. Power levels are still a nebulous concept that's difficult to nail down, but the conversations still do a lot to prevent lopsided games.

My only regret is not being able to meet up with @benjameenbear. We should've exchanged numbers, but instead we relied on this site's messenger and our own propensities to check said messenger. And of course, there's @TheAmericanSpirit's 11th hour pullout. I expect attendance and better coordination next time. :smirk:

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 1 year ago

Indeed, it was a great event and I'm sorry I missed you @RxPhantom!

I played quite a few games and lost every single one except one. I entered a cEDH tournament and literally had my win stolen from me by a well-timed Angel's Grace with my Thrasios/ Tevesh cEDH deck. My next game I was stuck against 2 Urza Stax decks and an Oswald Stax deck; I didn't win lol. Either way, I felt like I played as perfectly as I was able to for the round and had a good time. My friend who we drove down with cut to the Top 4 but go shafted by a terrible 6 (mulliganing to oblivion) and a Kinnan deck that had the god hand.

I then played with my brother for some casual games and played less optimally lol. Didn't win of those games, but I think I just attract targeting for some reason. Didn't help that my brother kept leading the charge to disrupting my key plays and leading the table lol, but it's all good.

In regards to the event itself, it was well run, clean, and good vibes. I would recommend anyone go to a CommandFest if it's run as well as the Richmond one was. In hindsight, I later learned there's one in Philly, so I'll be going to that one in the future so I don't have to drive 4+ hours lol.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

Would be cool to meet everyone. I don't think this is one for me though, cost wise I can't justify that to my wife. She's also still paranoid about Covid and won't even let me go to local pre-release events.

That said, someday I would definitely be down for something like this if enough nexus people went.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

EDIT: actualy took a second to look at the dates... did anyone go? How was it?
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic