CommandFest Richmond! Who's coming?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Pardon the bump here, but...hey @Mookie, @folding_music, @Sharpened and @Ulka. Did you all hear about CommandFest Richmond? You should all, like, totally go.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

I would but I have practicum this year along with a wedding to be saving for. Trust me if I wasn't working 25 hrs a week for no pay I would totally be there.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

I'm in the UK with no money or passport, giggle. gonna be tough to arrive. I hope it's fun, though!

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 1 year ago

I've requested the PTO and have coordinated logistics with my wife for Friday. Grabbing my pass for the Friday event now.

Are you going to be there Friday @RxPhantom? It's the only day I can go with my long-time best friend (who isn't on this forum).

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I'd love to go, but Richmond is a bit too far for me. I'll keep an eye out for any west coast events though.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

benjameenbear wrote:
1 year ago
I've requested the PTO and have coordinated logistics with my wife for Friday. Grabbing my pass for the Friday event now.

Are you going to be there Friday @RxPhantom? It's the only day I can go with my long-time best friend (who isn't on this forum).
Happy to hear it! I'm gonna be there Friday and Saturday. It's too bad you're gonna miss Spirit though.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

benjameenbear

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
benjameenbear wrote:
1 year ago

Happy to hear it! I'm gonna be there Friday and Saturday. It's too bad you're gonna miss Spirit though.
Word. I'll DM you with what I look like so we can meet up. Do you do cEDH or "casual" (as SCG defines it lol)? I'm bringing two decks of each so I can switch it up depending on the table.

I'll probably be doing quite a bit of cEDH with Thrasios + Tevesh Szat and most of my casual lists will be with my Vorthos Yawgmoth list.

Mookie

Actually, scratch the west coast plan - there is one scheduled in Las Vegas that I could get to... but I'm starting a new job that week. >.> I'll keep an eye out for whenever the next round of CommandFests are scheduled.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
I'd love to go, but Richmond is a bit too far for me. I'll keep an eye out for any west coast events though.
Sounds like we're on the same plan. Maybe the stars will align and you'll get to meet the RCotD host (he says, like that's a real lifetime achievement award 😆).

Maybe I'll even have Kerunath (Omnath + Keruga) together by then.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

benjameenbear wrote:
1 year ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
benjameenbear wrote:
1 year ago

Word. I'll DM you with what I look like so we can meet up. Do you do cEDH or "casual" (as SCG defines it lol)? I'm bringing two decks of each so I can switch it up depending on the table.

I'll probably be doing quite a bit of cEDH with Thrasios + Tevesh Szat and most of my casual lists will be with my Vorthos Yawgmoth list.
I don't think I have any decks that can hang at a cEDH table, but my decks are strong. I like games that go until at least turn 10 and my decks reflect that, I think. Most of my decks want to win through the red zone, even if the strategies to get there are pretty different.

Mookie

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Sounds like we're on the same plan. Maybe the stars will align and you'll get to meet the RCotD host (he says, like that's a real lifetime achievement award 😆).

Maybe I'll even have Kerunath (Omnath + Keruga) together by then.
If I get to change it to MCotD (Mookie's Card of the Day) for a day, that would be amusing. I'd need to think of a card to generate some spicy discussion though. :P

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

@Mookie just bring back chromatic lantern. That conversation felt like it came close to trading blows.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

This has given me fascinating ideas 🤔

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

We're just four weeks out! I've been updating and tuning some of my decks to get them back in fighting trim.

Merieke Ri Berit has probably gotten the most attention so far. Even though I love the deck, a good start can really make things tough for opposing decks that are trying to win with creatures. I've resisted tuning it up for that reason, but now is the time. She just got a set of talismans, as well as Thief of Sanity because I think the card is cool and I haven't put it anywhere else. I do need to order a Sly Instigator though. She needs a Raffine's Tower too, but I'm gonna wait a couple weeks and hope prices dip at least a little bit before scooping up the new triomes.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Shameless bump time, y'all! You may be asking yourself, should I come all the way to Richmond just to jam games with RxPhantom? The answer is a resounding "yes" followed by a very rude "duh." What kind of decks can you expect to play against? Well, here's a quick rundown of my decks that absolutely no one asked for! Hooray!

Merieke Ri Berit control. Really gives creature-based decks a hard time.
Lord of Tresserhorn death trigger tribal. FU Flash ban. FU.
Kemba, Kha Regent equipment Voltron. Does exactly what you think it does.
Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma stompy. Big fat fatties throwing their fat everywhere.
General Ferrous Rokiric Boros stuff. I only built this deck because Ferrous is also my dog's name, but it ended up being more fun than I thought it would be.
Jenara, Asura of War and her auras of war. Enchantress deck for which I've been too lazy to find a better commander, but Jenara is such a good mana sink.
Ghen, Arcanum Weaver enchantments and stuff. It probably does exactly what every other Ghen deck does. I've only run it once and kept a bad hand.
Kykar, Wind's Fury spellslinger.
Yarok, the Desecrated is another one that does exactly what you think it does.
Selenia, Dark Angel life gain/drain. This deck hasn't been upgraded in years but I'm gonna spruce her up for GP Richmond.
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius. an early attempt at spellslinger with a hand-size sub theme. Hasn't been played or updated since the card itself came out. Maybe I'll try to spruce him up too. He's the fairest (and thus most interesting to me) version of Niv.

I know this probably hasn't persuaded anyone, but I did want to kindly remind everyone of the following important message:

YOU SHOULD GO TO COMMANDFEST RICHMOND!

benjameenbear

Lol. I approve of this.

I'll be splitting my time between cEDH tables and casual tables, but if anyone here comes down to play, you can expect to see:
  • My Vorthos Yawgmoth deck - I expect this to be my primary casual deck, but for the tables where I'm feeling pretty salty or nostalgic, I'll be bringing my...
  • Memnarch deck. I haven't played this list in paper for nearly 3 years. It's time to bring it back and let all see the glory of Memnarch (even if I get ganged up on and curbstomped because theft = not fun)
  • My cEDH Kalamax list. I'll probably try one cEDH round with it, because I'm much more inclined to run my...
  • cEDH Thrasios + Tevesh Szat with some tech I want to try out. I'm particularly anticipating how Helm of Possession does with an active Tevesh out so I can sac my opponents' Commanders for card advantage. Should be GREAT.
Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Bad news. One of my friends can no longer make it, and his buick was to be the luxurious chariot of our carpool. I will have to reorganize my party.

Assuming we make it though, I will be playing the decks in my sig. I have no others.

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Bad news. One of my friends can no longer make it, and his buick was to be the luxurious chariot of our carpool. I will have to reorganize my party.

Assuming we make it though, I will be playing the decks in my sig. I have no others.

Just hop into Esika's Chariot and let the kitties pull you to the event.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago

Herding cats is hard enough, hell if I'm going to try to dogsled there on the willingness of large felines.

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago

Herding cats is hard enough, hell if I'm going to try to dogsled there on the willingness of large felines.
Oh c'mon be a sport, take one for the team. "What's the worst that could happen?"

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago

You've had me on such an emotional rollercoaster for this event. I'm exhausted! I hope you find a way.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago

You've had me on such an emotional rollercoaster for this event. I'm exhausted! I hope you find a way.
Yeah, I'm sorry about that. Admittedly, my life has been a bit of a rollercoaster lately. I'm just trying to keep you guys posted so I don't make a liar out of myself. But believe me, I have $50 at stake here, so I'm still gonna try my damnedest.

EDIT: %$#%, I can't spell today

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Just two weeks left! Check out this article from SCG about how to pack for CommandFest. It's actually pretty helpful. I didn't think about non-garbage snacks like nuts and dried fruit. The article doesn't mention it, but I'm also going to bring hygiene supplies. Having fresh breath is one of my favorite things.

Here's my Lord of Tresserhorn death trigger deck: Lord of Tresserhorn's Soylent Stew. In my head canon, his name is actually Jeff Tresserhorn, and he's got an evil doppelgänger named Tress Jefferhorn.

If you're reading this (you're probably not, but whatever) come to CommandFest!

DO IT! THE LAWS OF PEER PRESSURE DEMAND IT!

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Turns out I am going to be at commandfest Vegas since my friends here in phoenix are going :)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Turns out I am going to be at commandfest Vegas since my friends here in phoenix are going :)
:dizzy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”