Daretti, Scrap Savant: Trash Reanimator

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

So, a long, long time ago, they stapled Faithless Looting to Goblin Welder, and I've had this deck together in some capacity ever since. It started out as a generic artifact goodstuff list, but over time it morphed into more of a bad reanimator deck (mostly because locking someone out of the game with a recurring Mindslaver isn't a good time for anyone). The best version of Daretti will incorporate more stax and anti-aggro elements to protect himself, but this isn't the best version of Daretti. This is my "casual" deck. Being mono-red, it doesn't have a lot of interaction, and is pretty slow and clunky without a lot of non-Daretti ways to recur things from the junkyard. Still, it's a lot of fun to play, and elicits zero groans whenever I pull it out, which is a nice change of pace for me.

Trash Reanimator

Commander:

Approximate Total Cost:

I run virtually every 2mv rock there is with the intention of getting Daretti out on turn 3 as consistently as possible. That way he can slide in before most people have an aggressive board presence which means there's less pressure to protect him. This allows us to +2 him relatively safely, pitching a robot or two, then -2 to reanimate one on the following turn. From there you can either alternate +2/-2 to burn through your deck or foolishly attempt to race to his ultimate. I don't recommend the latter, as it's a hail mary that also renders you vulnerable to junkyard hate.

I love the robot selection. There have been lots of big, dumb robots printed over the past five years, and a turn 4 Triplicate Titan is a lot of fun. You won't kill anyone with it and you'll paint a huge target on yourself which is a surefire way to lose the game, but you're in mono-red. Winning was never an option. You're here for style.

The biggest flaw of the deck, like most mono-red decks, is that you run out of gas quickly. Even with Daretti and the Tormenting Voice style "draw" effects and utilizing a lot of recursion, once you're in topdeck mode and can't protect Daretti you're pretty much dead in the water. I haven't been able to get around this stumbling block, but without stax effects to disrupt opponents I think it's insurmountable. Which is fine.

What the deck really needs is more Trash for Treasure effects, but unfortunately there just aren't that many in mono-red. Alas.

The deck is pretty close to where I want it to be, though I'm always open to suggestions and prepared to defend most of my choices.
Last edited by TheGildedGoose 1 year ago, edited 7 times in total.

Tags:

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Some quick updates:

+ Geode Golem
+ Noble's Purse
+ Prized Statue
+ Big Score
+ Recoup
+ Treasure Vault

- Lodestone Golem
- Mirrorworks
- Seize the Spoils
- Thrill of Possibility
- Tormenting Voice
- Forge of Heroes

I don't think Scrap Welder is very playable since the whole deck's thing is turning cheap rocks into expensive robots. Theoretically I can trade out Triplicate Titan and get the tokens for another robot, but that seems pretty unlikely. Goblin Engineer is only playable because of his Entomb ability, but without that the Welder just isn't worthwhile.

Maybe one of these days I'll get Dockside Extortionist for this deck. Maybe.

EDIT: Gonna work Fractured Powerstone back in, as well, to get to a whopping 16 pieces of ramp.

+ Fractured Powerstone
- Ugin's Nexus

EDIT: Actually...

I can probably cut some lands and add the two 2mv discard/draw spells in.

- Mountain
- Arch of Orazca

+ Thrill of Possibility
+ Tormenting Voice

With so much ramp I can run those fewer lands, and the draw spells will make the whole thing run a lot smoother. Plus, with more discard outlets, I can rely on using Daretti as a reanimator very early on.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Are Goblin Matron/Imperial Recruiter worth playing here solely to find Goblin Welder? It is the best card in the deck by a significant margin, and being able to find Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer is a decent back-up if I've already played the Welder. 20 robots seems like a good amount for a beatdown reanimator deck, so the only real cuts I could make would be Thrill of Possibility/Tormenting Voice. Well, since Recruiter got reprinted he's super cheap, so I'll give it a shot.

- Thrill of Possibility
- Tormenting Voice

+ Imperial Recruiter
+ Goblin Matron

EDIT: On second thought, those discard/draw spells are just so, so good, even if they don't make treasure tokens. How about I cut Mystic Forge (which doesn't help me cast those big artifact creatures) and Recoup (which is theoretically only there to flashback Scrap Mastery back if things go sideways) instead?

- Mystic Forge
- Recoup

+ Thrill of Possibility
+ Tormenting Voice

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 5 months ago

Curious if you still play this deck?

Phyrexian Portal and Cityscape Leveler are some fun new toys.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Post by TheGildedGoose » 5 months ago

Chromaticus wrote:
5 months ago
Curious if you still play this deck?

Phyrexian Portal and Cityscape Leveler are some fun new toys.
Sort of. I don't update the decklist ever but I have it sleeved out of some dim sense of loyalty. It's a little too one note for me, but it can be fun when I just want to Do a Thing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”