Prosper: Turbo Tryhard

pzbw7z
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

Picked up a copy of Recoup out of a bulk box today; put it in and removed Tragic Slip.

With some trepidation, I pulled out this deck for its first game since I've made many changes; I wasn't really confident I knew how it would run or even how to run it.

My starting hand had two lands, two tutors and Dualcaster Mage - snap keep. I suspended Profane Tutor on turn two. I played Demonic Tutor on turn three for - wait for it! - a land. . . On turn four, I searched for Twinflame, drew a land, and played Recoup, targeting Demonic Tutor. I cast Demonic Tutor to get? My fifth land. . . Really. . . I know.

Turn five I played Prosper. Turn six I cast Twinflame targeting Prosper, then Dualcaster Mage copying Twinflame. The Twinflame copy copied the Mage and copy, copy, copy, etc., etc. And then I won!

Tags:

pzbw7z

Does anyone like Magus of the Wheel in Prosper? Reforge the Soul? Wheel of Fate does not impress and Wheel of Fortune is out of the question.

Wheel of Misfortune is already in the list.

pzbw7z

Saga gets Top, Tarn is a an upgrade. Underworld Breach is for a big finish. Dark Petition adds to the tutor density and Phyrexian Reclamation provides an avenue to get back critical creatures.

The last two times out have resulted in pretty quick Twinflame-Dualcaster Mage combo wins. I do enjoy the winning on occasion. :)

It's tough to know how far to go in the direction of low-casting-cost combo, but I like having the possibilities. The competitive Prosper decks run a bunch of expensive mana rocks and I'm not sure there are good, budget alternatives.

I've also got a Bolas's Citadel to work in.
Last edited by pzbw7z 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

pzbw7z

Tonight I drew Ancient Tomb, and Simian Spirit Guide in my opening hand for a turn-twp Prosper; it felt pretty good. On turn four, I drew Doomsday. Selected Final Fortune, Jeska's Will, Twin Flame, Dualcaster Mage and Red Elemental Blast. I felt like one of the cool kids for a moment. :)

pzbw7z

Anyone like Reiterate in Prosper? It can go well with Jeska's Will and an obliging opponent (one with seven cards in hand :) ).

pzbw7z

Gadrak was fun, I'll miss him a bit. Daredevil is not a bad little guy, but fairly low impact. Downfall is not a bad card but I want to lower the curve. There's a substantial amount of work left to do there. :)

Imp's Mischief will probably be the fifth card in my Doomsday pile going forward. I did it tonight and it was on point, preventing my combo from being disrupted. I was playing against five-color Food Chain and Godo, Bandit Warlord and I did not feel at all bad about dropping it on them. :P

pzbw7z

I'm considering Reanimate and Unearth, possibly to replace Phyrexian Reclamation. There doesn't seem to be much reason to use Reanimate over Unearth, as there are only two creatures in the 99 with CMC over 3 and one of them will likely get the cut soon. Any opinions?

Reanimate might go in Varina, Lich Queen, Gray Merchant of Asphodel is a juicy target.

pzbw7z

Looking through a Godo, Bandit Warlord deck, I saw some possible substitutes for the expensive mana rocks Prosper loves so much. I'm wondering if anyone thinks any of these are worth a shot.
Chalice and Amulet seem low risk. Monolith is pretty dubious. Lens seems okay. Medallion isn't exactly budget, but it isn't terribly expensive. Needle is a tap land which is a downer, but it's probably better than Rakdos Carnarium which I still haven't purged from my list yet. Drum is actually an idea that occurred to me (I played Affinity in Modern for years) that doesn't seem terrible.

pzbw7z

So it occurred to me that Sensei's Divining Top and Bolas's Citadel get on famously. Some folks on Facebook pointed out that Aetherflux Reservoir is the companion piece that turns the amazing synergy of Top and Citadel into a win-con.

Top and Citadel are already in my list, anyone have thoughts about whether it's worthwhile to add Reservoir as another win-con?

pzbw7z

Has anybody tried Spire of Industry in Prosper?

pzbw7z

Ruthless Technomancer could be a new toy for Rakdos and another combo partner for Dockside Extortionist.

pzbw7z

Friday I was able to scrounge up a copy of Mox Amber to reward Prosper - and me - for a good night's work. That's the good news.
The bad news? Now I actually need a copy of that stupid monkey to trigger it early enough to cast Prosper under curve! :) :grin: :P :rofl:

pzbw7z

Maybe Board
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by pzbw7z 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 1 year ago

So, I just picked up a copy of Shatterskull Smashing - which apparently all of the cool kids are running in Prosper these days - and I need to cut a land for it. My manabase is getting better, but there are still some dubious cards in it. I thought I'd run them by this group and see what folks think as the worst of the bunch. Fabled Passage and Smouldering Marsh are the most likely to result in a tap land, so they are top of my mind, but I think I may ditch Shizo instead as it is really not much more than a rather expensive Swamp here and I could use it for trade bait.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
Top and Citadel are already in my list, anyone have thoughts about whether it's worthwhile to add Reservoir as another win-con?
Reservoir was very good in my experience with Prosper..
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

pzbw7z

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
Reservoir was very good in my experience with Prosper..
The Deathstar is unquestionable effective. Some lists don't run it because they have cheaper win-cons, but I'm still missing a few key cards, plus I just like it!

pzbw7z

Last night I was finally able to cast Peer into the Abyss! Culling the Weak was in hand or PitA would have been exiled. Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer had done some work but he still had to be culled.

It still took a great deal - probably too much - of effort to find a line, but I was able to Final Fortune, fire off a couple of tutors and assemble the Deathstar to finish things off. The other guys were looking at their phones while I sorted through things but no one got salty.

Aetherflux Reservoir is perhaps not necessary in Prosper, but I'm still missing a few typical goodstuff pieces so I wanted another win-con and besides, it's a fun way to finish!

pzbw7z

@Feyd_Ruin Page one won't display anymore.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 1 year ago

pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
@Feyd_Ruin Page one won't display anymore.
Fixed.
It's layout is off, but it loads.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

pzbw7z

Does anyone use Grinding Station with Underworld Breach? Any free or mana-positive rock works.

The combo can't be used as a win-con - at least, not without something additional - but it can be used as self-mill to find a win-con. At least, that's the story I've been told. :grin:

pzbw7z

Ad Nauseam came in the mail; I got tired of waiting on the shop to get one in. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

It does bump the curve a little, but it should be well worth it. My overall average MV is 2.23, so Ad Naus should be instant speed draw up to 14 or 15. That should get it done.

pzbw7z

The cool kids have added March of Reckless Joy to their lists, so I picked up a foil from a pre-release pack for the princely sum of 20-cents and added it to Prosper. Being Instant is of course good, so I had no qualms about including it.

I fired it off tonight for X=5 tonight and hit Bolas's Citadel (amoung other stuff) with Sensei's Divining Top already in play. Dug a little bit and hit Demonic Tutor and everyone picked their cards up! One of them announced I would get Aetherflux Reservoir - which of course, I would have done.

March is a card I did not fully appreciate, it is a very fine card. It has also made me realize I was an idiot for cutting Commune with Lava; that error has been remediated. :)

pzbw7z

Ruthless Technomancer is being evaluated as a Cloudstone Curio substitute; it seems badly lacking. I almost got a loop going with Dockside Extortionist and Skirk Prospector, but without Magda, Brazen Outlaw, it didn't really do anything. Too many pieces for nothing really; I don't think Technoguy really deserves a spot. I'll keep looking for a Curio trade.

pzbw7z

While I respect that some folks don't like combos - especially fast ones, and others don't like high-power but, personally, I still get a kick out of winning on turn four! :) :grin: :P :rofl: Prosper does that for me sometimes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”