Prosper: Turbo Tryhard

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
. A Dockside - Cloudstone Curio loop is GG.
It would be if it was a loop, but that isn't a loop. Or you're greatly oversimplifying it. A third card, specifically a second, nonartifact creature card is needed to create a loop.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Tags:

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 1 year ago

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
It would be if it was a loop, but that isn't a loop. Or you're greatly oversimplifying it. A third card, specifically a second, nonartifact creature card is needed to create a loop.
Yes, another creature is required. Also, since the post is about Grinding Station, that's assumed as well. Grinding Station with a Dockside - Curio - random creature loop that nets one or more treasures per loop can mill the table or one can self-mill for a win-con.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
Legend wrote:
1 year ago
pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
Yes, another creature is required. Also, since the post is about Grinding Station, that's assumed as well. Grinding Station with a Dockside - Curio - random creature loop that nets one or more treasures per loop can mill the table or one can self-mill for a win-con.
Someone might read the OP and conclude that Dockside can bounce itself via Cloudstone without any need for another creature. You had me second guessing. I actually double checked the Oracle wording of Cloudstone to make sure I wasn't mistaken before replying.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

pzbw7z

An Imperial Seal was on display at one of the game stores I frequent. It turned out to be - if not exactly cheap - in trade range and it has been added to the deck in place of Grim Tutor. :)

Still no trace of a Mana Crypt to trade for. :(

pzbw7z

Under consideration is Delayed Blast Fireball. Anyone on it? Thoughts? It seems pretty good.

I've no idea what I would cut for it; it's getting super tight.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

DBF has been insane both times I've encountered it. Seems like a shoe-in here
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pzbw7z

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
DBF has been insane both times I've encountered it. Seems like a shoe-in here
If the normal mode was three damage it would absolutely be a shoe-in, but not killing Drannith Magistrate gives me pause. It's obviously still useful and on occasion it will be awesome, but it's a three-MV spell that will likely sometimes just be dead.

pzbw7z

Professional Facebreaker, in case you haven't realized, is really, really good. Not just good, but really, really good. I kept a hand with four lands, Sol Ring, Arcane Signet and I think Recoup just because I'd get Prosper on T2. On T2 he flipped Facebreaker. I cast Facebreaker on T3. He attacked T4 and I started exiling cards. First up was Imperial Seal and I went for Doomsday. Facebreaker flipped it up and that was it!

pzbw7z

Some popular mid-range card choices added to Card Choice Discussion in the first post. Some day, casual choices will be added. Feel free to drop recommendations.

pzbw7z

Infernal Plunge and Springleaf Drum in, Everflowing Chalice and Reckless Impulse out.

I've felt another R ritual was needed before and I've considered Springleaf Drum before; I just needed some validation I guess. :)

Chalice is probably just bad here and Reckless Impulse is just a little to average, I think. The alternatives were: for the former, Jeweled Amulet, which may be even worse than Chalice, but it does do colors; and for the latter, You Find Some Prisoners and Chaos Warp - those have some interactive value. The possibility of playing something someone tutored to top of library with Y.F.S.P. is also somewhat appealing. :)

I'm still keen to get a Mana Crypt. I'm also pretty well sold on Rain of Filth and nearly sold on Entomb. Fatal Push is also under consideration.

pzbw7z

What do you think of Peer into the Abyss and Bolas's Citadel? Both are powerful cards, P.i.t.A. usually wins straightaway, but would obviously be bad if Prosper flips it in the first few turns. Citadel isn't necessarily even good without Sensei's Divining Top though they are a mighty combo together.

Both feel really bad with Ad Nauseam and P.i.t.A. would feel equally bad off of Citadel. They both have to be considered non-essential, I think, but for now, I'm keeping both.

pzbw7z

This may not be news to anyone, but turn-one Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer is pretty good, especially when it enables turn-two Prosper. This might even be the preferred order!

pzbw7z

Because doing things a turn sooner is awesome!

Especially if you're doing things like this:

pzbw7z

This doesn't necessarily fit into the Turbo-Ad Nauseam strategy, but it seems like a good card for mid-range or casual play.

pzbw7z

So, is there a need for a turbo-Prosper primer? I'm considering moving the first page to a new post and applying for Primer status.

There's obviously a bunch of folks playing Prosper, but most seem to be more mid-range/casual then turbo Ad Nauseam. I'd love to add more discussion for mid-range cards, but I'm afraid I'd wind up talking about nearly every Rakdos card ever printed. :)

pzbw7z

yeti1069 wrote:
1 year ago
I'll just note that there is a cEDH subforum to the Commander forums.
Noted. I'll post there. Thanks for the heads up.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 year ago

I've been keeping an eye on this thread as an active one with a popular commander, and encourage you to submit it for primer status once you're happy with the write-up. If you'd like your thread ported to the cEDH subforum, I'm pretty sure this should be doable by mods or admins. But at the same time I'm not sure it's a big deal to do so.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pzbw7z

Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago
I've been keeping an eye on this thread as an active one with a popular commander, and encourage you to submit it for primer status once you're happy with the write-up. If you'd like your thread ported to the cEDH subforum, I'm pretty sure this should be doable by mods or admins. But at the same time I'm not sure it's a big deal to do so.
The Competitive subforum seems pretty much dead so I'll probably just post a new thread here and apply for Primer status for it. My deck isn't 100% competitive anyway - but there are links to cEDH database decks - so I will just explain that a little better.

I'd love to have a few more decks linked; a Storm list and some mid-range lists. Also, I'd love to have more stuff about mid-range/casual but I'm afraid I'd wind up talking about every R and every B card ever printed. :)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Why would you need to open up a new thread?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pzbw7z

Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago
Why would you need to open up a new thread?
That's how I understand the Primer guidelines.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Ah, opening a thread wise, you go into the primer subforum thing and make a thread there, pointing to the actual primer itself and disclosing some additional info (which I assume you are more than good on). You actually keep the primer in here. Post history is good for that sort of thing.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pzbw7z

The other night, I got in a game and played Doomsday. Someone responded by exiling Prosper. Long story short, I bungled it and lost. So today I posted in the Discord about it and got some additional piles that can be used. These have been added to the "Doomsday" spoiler under the "Notable Lines of Play" section in the first post.

pzbw7z

Just day-dreaming about starting hands. :)

Several lands work as well as Luxury Suite.
Simian Spirit Guide works in place of Lotus Petal, or the land, for that matter.
Mana Vault works in place of Dark Ritual.
Any one-MV creature works as well as Skirk Prospector. With some combinations of alternate cards, it may have to be a R one-drop.

This assumes Jeska's Will will generate at least five mana. There will be one left over from the Dark Ritual or Mana Vault activation after casting Jeska's Will.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”