Zedruu the Greatest of All Time

Sefir
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sefir » 1 year ago

indemidelo wrote:
1 year ago
Is the main deck somehow different from the primer list? I saw some buzz around cards like Replication Technique and Coveted Jewel and was wondering if I am missing an update.
The nice think with Zeduu is that you can build your own variation according to your personal preference, so you will see many cards mentioned that some people use and others dont. That said, I believe Replication Technique is widely considered a staple in the deck, replacing Echo Storm.
Zedruu the Greathearted 4-Card Combos Puzzlebox
Gluntch, the Bestower Controlled Hug
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis Saclands
Teneb, the Harvester AntiBlack Pestilence
Dakkon Blackblade Control
Riku of Two Reflections Dragon's Approach
Phelddagrif Hippo Factory Lifegain
Damia, Sage of Stone Casual Food Chain
Minsc, Beloved Ranger Win(nie)s
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis Dredge/Reanimator
Hans Eriksson Smash

Tags:

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

indemidelo wrote:
1 year ago
Is the main deck somehow different from the primer list? I saw some buzz around cards like Replication Technique and Coveted Jewel and was wondering if I am missing an update.
Traditionally, I like to put a lot of games in with an iteration before updating the front. I don't get to play nearly as much as I used to, so that's probably not a good system anymore, and I should go ahead and make some changes based on mostly just theory.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Flem1000

Post by Flem1000 » 1 year ago

On the topic of updating the front, could you perhaps let the synergies for cards you've played in the past stay on the primer?

It would be nice to be able to revisit cards like Throes of Chaos or Dissipation Field and see what packages those cards would require.

Maybe it would be confusing if too many old cards stayed in the card selection, perhaps a new section could be created for it?

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Flem1000 wrote:
1 year ago
On the topic of updating the front, could you perhaps let the synergies for cards you've played in the past stay on the primer?

It would be nice to be able to revisit cards like Throes of Chaos or Dissipation Field and see what packages those cards would require.

Maybe it would be confusing if too many old cards stayed in the card selection, perhaps a new section could be created for it?
I actually set aside post#2 in this thread for that purpose, but also just never got around to it. I have a text document on my desktop with a big old list of cards previously played by me, or by someone else, or even just suggested a few times. There's also some cards from New Capenna Commander I want to ramble about. The to-do list only ever gets longer, lol.

Flem1000

tstorm823 wrote:
1 year ago
I actually set aside post#2 in this thread for that purpose, but also just never got around to it. I have a text document on my desktop with a big old list of cards previously played by me, or by someone else, or even just suggested a few times. There's also some cards from New Capenna Commander I want to ramble about. The to-do list only ever gets longer, lol.
I see. I would definitely appreciate that a lot and probably look it over a ton if you do post it at some point.

Btw, what are you guys' opinions on the new spoiled card Legion Loyalty? I haven't thought it over too much, but it's a big expensive enchantment that does some neat things. You could also use it with March of the Machines or Opalescence, but perhaps it's not as efficient as Mirrorweave

jjjrrrgggnnn
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by jjjrrrgggnnn » 1 year ago

Another card that was spoiled that might be of interest Modify Memory.

Sefir

Is Archivist of Oghma a good reason to re-include Oath of Lieges in the deck (yes, I know Oath makes games take 30% more time than they should) ? Certainly a staple for whoever still uses the card......
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Flem1000 wrote:
1 year ago
Btw, what are you guys' opinions on the new spoiled card Legion Loyalty? I haven't thought it over too much, but it's a big expensive enchantment that does some neat things. You could also use it with March of the Machines or Opalescence, but perhaps it's not as efficient as Mirrorweave
My initial thoughts are that 8 is a very big number, and the number of things in this deck I really want to attack with is limited. It's hard to imagine going in on this without a bunch of combat support.
jjjrrrgggnnn wrote:
1 year ago
Another card that was spoiled that might be of interest Modify Memory.
Interaction that draws cards and synergizes with Zedruu is sweet, but 5 mana at sorcery speed kind is a tough spot for a card like that. I'm not really into paying full price for a draw 3.
Sefir wrote:
1 year ago
Is Archivist of Oghma a good reason to re-include Oath of Lieges in the deck (yes, I know Oath makes games take 30% more time than they should) ? Certainly a staple for whoever still uses the card......
I'm very likely to play neither, but yes, they definitely go together nicely.

And now for the card that has me upset this morning:

I have wanted (and still do) a card to turn noncreature permanents into creatures for so, so long, but I was imagining like an aura that would do it to one permanent, and that way I could Mirrorweave anything. But this card is dangerous. They though "noncreature" targets was sufficient to make this reasonable? Oh hey look, a Cursed Mirror... infinite combo. Oh hey look, an Oblivion Ring... infinite combo. Imprisoned in the Moon and then Replication Technique, infinite combo. Like, if I want to play the big dumb dragon, I'm sure I can manage to cut out what I need to not go accidental infinite, but would I be ok playing a card that can accidental infinite with other players' unassuming utility spells? 8 is a big number, so maybe it's ok.

jjjrrrgggnnn

I was browsing The Lucky Paper Commander Map and there's a really defined tstorm town when you search Zedruu. Good job everyone! :foil:

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

jjjrrrgggnnn wrote:
1 year ago
I was browsing The Lucky Paper Commander Map and there's a really defined tstorm town when you search Zedruu. Good job everyone! :foil:
Thank you for pointing to that, it's really interesting. By my count, we've got about 60 versions of this deck hanging out there (with one each of Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis, Kykar, Wind's Fury, and Narset, Enlightened Master sneaking in there as well).

Not to ask too much from whoever put the effort into generating that page, cause it's awesome, but I wish I could search by any card rather than just commanders, and see if there are any other fringe collectives using things like Memnite or Mirror of Fate.

Sefir

jjjrrrgggnnn wrote:
1 year ago
I was searching for more than 2 hours....
My deck is not on the tstorm islands...... :cry:
(Though I did find a list that was probably copied from mine from 8 months ago -with Illussory Ambusher, MoM, Rootha, Terror of the Peaks, etc at the very bottom right of the tstorm islands).

It would REALLY help if you could search decks by owner's name......
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

prev7

Post by prev7 » 1 year ago

Sefir wrote:
1 year ago
My deck is not on the tstorm islands...... :cry:
Looks like this project pulls its data from EDHREC, which in turn pulls data from Archidekt, MTGGoldfish, Aetherhub, Moxfield and Deckstats. I'd assume that as long as your deck is listed and accessible on any of those platforms it should show up on the map as well. Is your deck listed on the "Decks" tab of this page? Maybe EDHREC's FAQ has some additional info?

jjjrrrgggnnn

I'm unsure if this card has been discussed before, but I'd like to hear people's view on it. Contested War Zone, obviously the downside is a pretty brutal tempo hit. I've not tested the card, but I imagine (or at least, hope) it incentives your opponents to start attacking each other once one is them gains control of the land.

Its also got quite an interesting activated ability, that you can shoot off to buff opponents creatures as well as your own.

There's some similarity with Rainbow Vale but found my opponents used to just toss it back to me everytime nullifying the zedruu trigger.

Sefir

prev7 wrote:
1 year ago
Is your deck listed on the "Decks" tab of this page?
It is not actually! While my deck is full accessible through mtggoldfish. Strange....
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

Flem1000

I haven't heard anyone discuss the card Displacer Kitten. It's an instant-speed recurrable flickering effect, which I think is pretty neat. We have a few ETBs and artifacts that can tap, which would benefit from it. It can do a few things that Venser can't, like untapping your mana rocks to keep casting more spells, or flicker Knowledge Pool at instant-speed to basically counter the spell they cast from their hand by imprinting new cards. Being able to untap Nykthos with Unbender Tine every time you cast a noncreature spell also seems pretty good. It also counters single target removal spells by flickering your opponent's targets.

Idk, I'm gonna try it out while adding Venser, Shaper Savant to the deck and see what happens. I believe they work in a 4-card combo with Echo Storm and Gilded Lotus, making infinite mana and tapped lotuses if you've cast Zedruu at least twice.

Sefir

Flem1000 wrote:
1 year ago
I haven't heard anyone discuss the card Displacer Kitten.....
Kitten can also be used as a replacement of the Jeskai Ascendancy in the Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Cavalier of Dawn, Lotus Petal, Jeskai Ascendancy combo. Slightly worse, since it offers only infinite mana and golems, but not infinite looting and buff, but still, an option.
Also it can obviously replace Venser, the Sojourner in the Mirror of Fate, Saheeli, Sublime Artificer, Temporal Mastery, Venser, the Sojourner combo.

EDIT: Yoohoo!! The kitten synergizes excellently with the new tech I use for my Eye of the Storm combos (mainly loops with Pull from Eternity, Mystic Retrieval and Temporal Mastery or Pull from Eternity, Smothering Tithe and Echo of Eons). Especially, Kitten goes infinite with Pull from Eternity, Mystic Retrieval and Coveted Jewel (that I also run). If I do not find any 3-card combos, I will 100% put it in!!
Last edited by Sefir 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

indemidelo

Post by indemidelo » 1 year ago

Hi everyone!

Last week I had a nice win using a 5-cards combo... and one of them is not listed as a finisher in the primer!
I had the Turnabout + Narset's Reversal + Bonus Round combo, but the only spell to go infinite with was Catch // Release. Sadly, my opponents didn't have any relevant threat or interesting permanent to close the game with.

A bit bummed for being able to assemble the combo but not winning, I gazed down to my lands and noticed... Forbidden Orchard!
So I made infinite 1/1 tokens for my opponents, gained control of all of them, and proceed to win!

Probably during the years you have already seen this scenario, but I never stumbled upon it.

ihatemaryfisher
Pronoun: they / them

Post by ihatemaryfisher » 1 year ago

jjjrrrgggnnn wrote:
1 year ago
I'm unsure if this card has been discussed before, but I'd like to hear people's view on it. Contested War Zone, obviously the downside is a pretty brutal tempo hit. I've not tested the card, but I imagine (or at least, hope) it incentives your opponents to start attacking each other once one is them gains control of the land.

Its also got quite an interesting activated ability, that you can shoot off to buff opponents creatures as well as your own.

There's some similarity with Rainbow Vale but found my opponents used to just toss it back to me everytime nullifying the zedruu trigger.
I've experimented a lot with Contested War Zone, and have found that it's just never the right time to play it.

If you play it early, you're down on tempo big time. I've found that the early Zedruu donation is rarely worth the tempo loss.

And if you play it late, chances are you're already drawing 3+ cards per turn AND your opponents have boardstates that you don't want to let hit you. Causing infighting between opponents is good, but the extra land isn't a huge incentive on turns 6+.
Last edited by ihatemaryfisher 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sefir

Not a 4-card combo, but I decided to give the Magosi package another try and yesterday I was able to produce infinite mana and tap/untap triggers (Leyline of Anticipation, Rootha, Mercurial Artist, Turnabout), skipped about a 1000 turns with Magosi, the Waterveil and then I Teferi's Protectioned myself out of the game.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sefir wrote:
1 year ago
Not a 4-card combo, but I decided to give the Magosi package another try and yesterday I was able to produce infinite mana and tap/untap triggers (Leyline of Anticipation, Rootha, Mercurial Artist, Turnabout), skipped about a 1000 turns with Magosi, the Waterveil and then I Teferi's Protectioned myself out of the game.
Fun fact: if someone else were also playing this deck, they'd still have like 20 ways to kill you.

Sefir

Very dissapointed from Dominaria United thus far. In a set that has almost anything for everyone, I could not find a single card that we can use in Zedruu (Plaza of Heroes is a new EDH staple and doesn't count). I feel that there are many "too broken to be fun" cards (Vesuvan Duplimancy, Defiler of Dreams, etc) or "almost there" (Academy Loremaster, etc). Perhaps there are some shenanigans with multiple copies of The Phasing of Zhalfir, targeting one another? Not sure.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sefir wrote:
1 year ago
Very dissapointed from Dominaria United thus far. In a set that has almost anything for everyone, I could not find a single card that we can use in Zedruu (Plaza of Heroes is a new EDH staple and doesn't count). I feel that there are many "too broken to be fun" cards (Vesuvan Duplimancy, Defiler of Dreams, etc) or "almost there" (Academy Loremaster, etc). Perhaps there are some shenanigans with multiple copies of The Phasing of Zhalfir, targeting one another? Not sure.
I would describe Academy Loremaster as "maybe there" rather than "almost there". A 2 mana Howling Mine effect is always appreciated, and Vedalken Orrery effects sidestep the tax pretty gracefully, so I suspect some people will play that in a deck like this.

Relic of Legends might fit in for me. It turns the Sakashima the Impostor/Detention Sphere combo into infinite mana, and makes Zedruu a mana dork for Jeskai Ascendancy, with the functional floor of being a Manalith. And yes, Plaza of Heroes certainly has a place. It's not only a nearly perfect tri-land for us, it can double with Thespian's Stage to do Arcbond shenanigans.

Sefir

tstorm823 wrote:
1 year ago
Plaza of Heroes certainly has a place. It's not only a nearly perfect tri-land for us, it can double with Thespian's Stage to do Arcbond shenanigans.
Or obvious Nin, the Pain Artist lines, especially for whoever is still on MoM.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

Sefir

For whoever will play with the new Un-set, Exchange of Words seems a great card that fits the Zedruu theme. For whoever doesnt play with Kiki-Jiki and avoid the infinite at least.....
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

jjjrrrgggnnn

Hopefully you all might be able to help me out. I was playing Zedruu in a game tonite and ran into a situation that I couldn't figure out, both my maths and my grasp of the rules of the game failed me.

On board I had Golden Guardian // Gold-Forge Garrison, Precursor Golem +2 Golem tokens, Heliod, Sun-Crowned. Let's for arguments sake say there were 10 other creatures on the board other than the ones I've mentioned.

I activated Heliod to give lifelink to the Golden Guardian and then activated its fight ability targeting a golem token, in response I cast Arcbond onto Golden Guardian.

So... What happens exactly? I've got four copies of Arcbond, but only the damage from Golden Guardian has lifelink, and jeeze help me and my small brain out here. I'm sure the answer is blindingly obvious but I'm not getting it.

Can anyone Eli5 and bonus points if you can tell me a formula of exactly how much damage each player is receiving.

Now, I know this isn't the optimal combo of Heliod + Precursor Golem + 2x lifelink activations + Arcbond + exactly 1 damage, but I'd forgotten about that at the time.

Thanks in advance!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”