Zedruu the Greatest of All Time

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by tstorm823 » 2 years ago

ihatemaryfisher wrote:
2 years ago
I've taken this idea and ran with it. I've made a rough draft of a Jund deck that has the same philosophy (low redundancy, high synergy).

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/26EF6MwB-kegNsCJ0nPEhQ
So, I've gotten a chance to dig deeper here, and funny enough, this deck has a lot in common with a Mina and Denn, Wildborn deck I used to play (without all the land destruction my M&D had, lol). Let me tell you, wheels and Exploration effects are like best friends forever. It wouldn't make you more consistent or more janky, but it would turbo charge your game plan, sort of like Leyline of Anticipation does for me.
Edit: I forgot one thing. The currently-underused synergy in this deck involves turning lands into creatures. I have Rude Awakening, Natural Affinity, and Life // Death, but they don't have any combo pieces yet. Ideas include:
1) Untapping all creatures (which would then include lands)
2) Creature sacrifice outlets that are worth sacrificing lands for
3) Doing something with opponent's lands after Natural Affinity. Maybe Massacre Wurm?
If you care to double down on the Moraug, Fury of Akoum strategy, you could play Breath of Fury and probably jank out the whole table in one turn. If I've learned anything from my time with Jeskai Ascendancy, it's that janky synergies are only made better when they involve attacking for lethal.

Edit: Skirge Familiar is the bomb. I play it in my Rakdos reanimator deck, and any time I've stumbled into like a seven part infinite combo in that deck, it's cause of the familiar.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Tags:

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 2 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago
Edit: Skirge Familiar is the bomb. I play it in my Rakdos reanimator deck, and any time I've stumbled into like a seven part infinite combo in that deck, it's cause of the familiar.
It is a pretty unique resource converter, indeed, but I guess Mind Over Matter is still superior for converting cards into something else.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Caravan
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Caravan » 2 years ago

Created an account just to say thank you for this primer or rather this piece of art! @tstorm823 , elevating magic to another level. Also thanks to everyone for the sweet conversation here, I was sad like finishing a good novel when I got to the end of the thread a few days ago.

@tstorm823 - I saw you also play Disc Golf. I run a disc golf club in the Netherlands. Hit me up via our website www.dsadiscgolf.com and I'll send you some of our club discs as a thank you for this masterpiece!

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Caravan wrote:
2 years ago
Created an account just to say thank you for this primer or rather this piece of art! @tstorm823 , elevating magic to another level. Also thanks to everyone for the sweet conversation here, I was sad like finishing a good novel when I got to the end of the thread a few days ago.
I don't know if I'm elevating Magic here, or just turning it on its side, but thank you very much!
@tstorm823 - I saw you also play Disc Golf. I run a disc golf club in the Netherlands. Hit me up via our website www.dsadiscgolf.com and I'll send you some of our club discs as a thank you for this masterpiece!
That is exceedingly generous of you. You've got a message coming your way from over there.

Sefir

Post by Sefir » 2 years ago

Ok, I have to mention the game I just had. It was t7-8. My opponents (Osgir, Ikra/Prava, Hans Eriksson) were trying to destroy each other with their big boards, (my board was practically non-existant after they killed almost all enchantments the turn before) leaving me with just my Zedruu, 2 Servos, a Venser, the Sojourner on 3 loyalty and a March of the Machines. I played Coveted Jewel, tapped it for mana, used it for a Mirrorweave on Coveted Jewel, minused the Venser for unblockability and proceed in attacking all my opponents and taking all their creatures/Jewels drawing more than 60 cards in the process. 3 years playing the deck and it still manages to surprise me with the lines it creates.
Zedruu the Greathearted 4-Card Combos Puzzlebox
Gluntch, the Bestower Controlled Hug
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis Saclands
Teneb, the Harvester AntiBlack Pestilence
Dakkon Blackblade Control
Riku of Two Reflections Dragon's Approach
Phelddagrif Hippo Factory Lifegain
Damia, Sage of Stone Casual Food Chain
Minsc, Beloved Ranger Win(nie)s
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis Dredge/Reanimator
Hans Eriksson Smash

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sefir wrote:
2 years ago
Ok, I have to mention the game I just had. It was t7-8. My opponents (Osgir, Ikra/Prava, Hans Eriksson) were trying to destroy each other with their big boards, (my board was practically non-existant after they killed almost all enchantments the turn before) leaving me with just my Zedruu, 2 Servos, a Venser, the Sojourner on 3 loyalty and a March of the Machines. I played Coveted Jewel, tapped it for mana, used it for a Mirrorweave on Coveted Jewel, minused the Venser for unblockability and proceed in attacking all my opponents and taking all their creatures/Jewels drawing more than 60 cards in the process. 3 years playing the deck and it still manages to surprise me with the lines it creates.
Ok, so before anything else, I want to say that is awesome. But then a couple things. What you describe doesn't quite work, because March of the Machines means Coveted Jewel would have summoning sickness the turn you played it, which just means you would've needed more mana. On the other hand, the Venser is unneeded, as you'd gain control of all the jewels before they could block.

But fine, I'll try Coveted Jewel. You win.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago
Sefir wrote:
2 years ago
Ok, so before anything else, I want to say that is awesome. But then a couple things. What you describe doesn't quite work, because March of the Machines means Coveted Jewel would have summoning sickness the turn you played it, which just means you would've needed more mana. On the other hand, the Venser is unneeded, as you'd gain control of all the jewels before they could block.

Coveted Jewel requires that the creatures not be blocked, which means it can't trigger before blocks are declared, so the Venser was still required. That said, a hilarious line of play.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Coveted Jewel requires that the creatures not be blocked, which means it can't trigger before blocks are declared, so the Venser was still required. That said, a hilarious line of play.
Rules are hard.

Sefir

tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago
March of the Machines means Coveted Jewel would have summoning sickness the turn you played it, which just means you would've needed more mana.
I had exactly 7 mana on board, just exactly for the line I mentioned. But there was also a Concordant Crossroads (courtesy of the Ikra/Prava token deck), that helped not only for playing the line, but also for actually using the mana of all the Jewels I took in the end to finish the game.
tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago
Then my work here is done. :grin:
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

jjjrrrgggnnn

Post by jjjrrrgggnnn » 2 years ago

I was watching the fantastic EDH Deckbuilding channel on YouTube earlier, and the host mentioned a card that I've never heard of, but has a serious amount of repeatable versatility. What do you guys make of Mizzium Transreliquat?

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

jjjrrrgggnnn wrote:
2 years ago
I was watching the fantastic EDH Deckbuilding channel on YouTube earlier, and the host mentioned a card that I've never heard of, but has a serious amount of repeatable versatility. What do you guys make of Mizzium Transreliquat?
I've played with it a bit. It is an absolutely brutal card with Knowledge Pool, and the last time I was considering it was when I was also considering Pendant of Prosperity. It is a cool card that works here, just one in the big pile of cool cards for this deck, and it's really a matter of taste beyond that.

jjjrrrgggnnn

Post by jjjrrrgggnnn » 2 years ago

Oh amazing! That interaction with Knowledge Pool is savage! I think I'll pick up a copy and chuck it in with Pendant of Prosperity and play a few games with it, roleplaying as past @tstorm823. I love this deck!

Sefir

So far I am quite dissapointed from the spoilers. Tonnes of great stuff, but nothing that I have seen thus far seems to be of some use here (the new sub-optimal, non-legendary Kiki-jiki perhaps?). I can also see Eiganjo being played, as it can trigger some of the Arcbond combos. :\

In other news, I have so many great cards that I wanted to use in Zedruu and I find no space for them, that I had to build a Phelddagrif deck (with similar deck building restrictions) and put them all in there+ a bunch more. I was amazed to find out that the actual problem was NOT to find a bunch of relevant 4-card combos that interact with each other, I find one new ever 5 hours. The hard part is to actually make the deck click! It is hard to find cards that are both combo pieces AND be synergistic enough with the rest of the deck (outside specific combos) to progress my game plan or produce CA. Despite all the complaints I have heard from time to time about Zedruu being an overcosted CA card, it is still a very serious CA engine that you have access to from the command zone and this is BIG, BIG, BIG.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sefir wrote:
2 years ago
So far I am quite dissapointed from the spoilers. Tonnes of great stuff, but nothing that I have seen thus far seems to be of some use here (the new sub-optimal, non-legendary Kiki-jiki perhaps?). I can also see Eiganjo being played, as it can trigger some of the Arcbond combos. :\
That's ok, and kind of expected to be honest. Kamigawa the first time around was a ton of minor value cards and internal synergies, I expect little else the second time around. Lion Sash (like all other graveyard removal) is technically synergy with Mirror of Fate, and the lands are generically good, but other than that it's kind of nice being able to skip a set for this deck.

ihatemaryfisher

Post by ihatemaryfisher » 2 years ago

Have you ever considered making a discord for this thread?

I bet a lot of people would love to post and discuss their versions of this decklist.

(here's mine): https://www.moxfield.com/decks/ax98wlaOR02tBFVK9g7q1A

Sefir

ihatemaryfisher wrote:
2 years ago

I bet a lot of people would love to post and discuss their versions of this decklist.
As a regular here, I would hate that to happen. Part of the charm of these forums is the fact that I can revisit the older conversations for ideas, see how the deck evolved, etc. All these are lost in discord threads. And according to my experience, you cant have both discord AND a forum thread. I have seen discord killing many well-known forum sites to say otherwise.....
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

ihatemaryfisher wrote:
2 years ago

Definitely not gonna happen from me. 10 years ago, I could have done something like that, but the amount of time and attention I have for any one thing in particular these days is well suited to the glacial paste of my comfy little thread here. It would be irresponsible of me to set up a chat for the sort of maniacs that play a deck like this without the time to personally participate and moderate it.

That being said, I could probably be persuaded to join a discord server more generally themed on explicitly inefficient chaotic combo nonsense.
You have Aminatou's Augury and Coveted Jewel in here. What is your experience like with these two in particular?

Sefir

I like the Chance for Glory addition A LOT. While in general I am against many extra turn spells, this one needs a lot to be abused (like an Angel's Grace/any "end the turn" spell in an Eye of the Storm, which is very cool) AND it can be used as a piece in other combos due to the indestructibility it provides.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

ihatemaryfisher

tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago

Definitely not gonna happen from me. 10 years ago, I could have done something like that, but the amount of time and attention I have for any one thing in particular these days is well suited to the glacial paste of my comfy little thread here. It would be irresponsible of me to set up a chat for the sort of maniacs that play a deck like this without the time to personally participate and moderate it.

That being said, I could probably be persuaded to join a discord server more generally themed on explicitly inefficient chaotic combo nonsense.

You have Aminatou's Augury and Coveted Jewel in here. What is your experience like with these two in particular?
I know you mentioned in a comment that you removed Aminatou's Augury because it's too efficient, but I've found that it actually underperforms. The problem is, it dumps a lot of stuff from your deck onto the field, but there's no guarantee of getting the right cards for dealing with the current boardstate. Often, it whiffs. So many of the cards in the deck are situationally useful, e.g., hitting a Mirrorweave or Bonus Round is often a dead play. It get's a little better if you have Leyline of Anticipation and can play it right before your turn, but that's unlikely. Occasionally you'll dump 3/4 combo pieces and just win on the spot, but that's rare. It's probably leaving the deck soon.

Coveted Jewel is interesting and I swapped it for Gilded Lotus. The first advantage over Gilded Lotus is synergy with Zedruu. The second is the spellslingery-ness getting 3-cards & 3-mana at the same time. (It's pretty much game over if I land a decent Echo Storm on it.) The downside is that I very rarely hold onto it for more than a turn, and rarely get it back after it's taken. That being said, it doesn't get traded around the table as much as you'd think. Usually the battlecruiser player takes it and hangs onto it for the rest of the game. And I've added enough boardwipes to the deck that I'm not especially concerned about the battlecruiser player.

Usually, it plays out as a value engine. I can drop a Coveted Jewel into any three-mana values spell (Vedalken Plotter, Cursed Mirror,Walking Archive, etc). If I have Zedruu up, it translates into even more value after things get swapped/stolen. PS: (There' also the combo somebody mentioned here, which is Coveted Jewel + March of the Machines + Mirrorweave, which I haven't pulled off yet)

As for the discord, I hear you. And I agree with what Sefir said about how Nexus threads are actually better for discussion. Honestly, I'd like to get more help with my Zedruu-style Jund deck, but doubt there's enough interest to make a thread about it (and I don't want to take up this thread). So maybe a more generally themed discord would be a good idea
Last edited by ihatemaryfisher 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

ihatemaryfisher

Sefir wrote:
2 years ago
I like the Chance for Glory addition A LOT. While in general I am against many extra turn spells, this one needs a lot to be abused (like an Angel's Grace/any "end the turn" spell in an Eye of the Storm, which is very cool) AND it can be used as a piece in other combos due to the indestructibility it provides.
Yes. I was especially keen once I realized I was running Magosi, the Waterveil. If you skip the extra turn from Chance for Glory with Magosi, the Waterveil, then the "lose the game" trigger never happens.

I added several more effects that do fun things with this theme e.g., Glorious End, Discontinuity, and I might throw in Intervention Pact if I find a space. These are especially good because they're (1) combo pieces and (2) some of the strongest and most versatile answers to someone trying to win the game.

Those synergies were was the final excuse I'd needed to run Sudden Substitution, which becomes a three-card "target player loses the game" combo (the third card is one of their creatures). This might be too mean, and I'm not sure if it'll stay in the deck...

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

ihatemaryfisher wrote:
2 years ago
Yes. I was especially keen once I realized I was running Magosi, the Waterveil. If you skip the extra turn from Chance for Glory with Magosi, the Waterveil, then the "lose the game" trigger never happens.
That is sick. I'm used to this sort of effect making you lose the game at the next end step, whenever that happens, but Chance for Glory specifies "that turn" instead. That's pretty sweet.

Sefir

Bonus points for the fact that Chance for Glory makes your creatures indestructible INDEFINITELY.
....and now I am thinking of running it as well......
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago
ihatemaryfisher wrote:
2 years ago
That is sick. I'm used to this sort of effect making you lose the game at the next end step, whenever that happens, but Chance for Glory specifies "that turn" instead. That's pretty sweet.
Worth noting that most Final Fortune effects use "that turn", as if they used "next end step" you'd lose *before* you actually got to take your extra turn! But Chance for Glory is definitely one of the more interesting ones, due to the indestructible creatures.

Sefir

ihatemaryfisher wrote:
2 years ago

Yes. I was especially keen once I realized I was running Magosi, the Waterveil. If you skip the extra turn from Chance for Glory with Magosi, the Waterveil, then the "lose the game" trigger never happens
Basically if you are willing to add something like an Elite Arcanist, you have a 4-card combo with Chance for Glory, Magosi, Elite Arcanist and Unbender Tine. Or Chance for Glory, Angels Grace/any end turn instant, Elite Arcanist, Replication Technique/Glasspool Mimic/Sakashima the Impostor ofc.
Sliver Queen Enchantress
Thraximundar Zomblins
The Omenkeel Vehicles
Hans Eriksson Smash

Zyren

Post by Zyren » 2 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
When I read Nine Lives I thought of Zedruu. Wait until its about to pop and hand it over.
That's funny. I'm not gonna do it, because funny sneaky kill on just one opponent isn't what I want to do, but that is definitely better mean Zedruu tech than a lot of the old go-tos, since it's actually very useful on its own.
I've been paying zedruu for a bit now and nine lives has been hilarious for me with cleansing meditation. If you can do some shenanigans with copying cleansing meditation for as many opponents as you have with cards like like bonus round you can snipe everyone by donating your nine lives, having them sac it with cleansing meditation, getting it back, donating it to the next player, etc. Cleansing meditation + march of the machines and / or opalescense + mirrorweave can create creature / artifact board wipes too, while getting all your stuff back!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”