Varina, Lich Queen - Esper Zombie Midrange

ChocoDude
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ChocoDude » 1 year ago

@toctheyounger
For myself I'm mulling over some changes too - I'm really on the fence with Crucible of Worlds, it's always one I turf. Does anyone else get good mileage from it?
Yeah, I've mostly pitched it in the bin when I've come across it and have really considered swapping it out. However, I haven't actually played Varina in a couple of months, so I just haven't gotten around to it.

Tags:

Rframpt

Post by Rframpt » 1 year ago

ChocoDude wrote:
1 year ago
@toctheyounger
For myself I'm mulling over some changes too - I'm really on the fence with Crucible of Worlds, it's always one I turf. Does anyone else get good mileage from it?
For me Crucible has been a fine card to have as utility. Works well with Varina as you can easily pitch lands you draw with her and play them in the second main phase. Tormod, the Desecrator gets some usage from it as well creating more zombie tokens. And if you don't need it immediately pitch it and bring it back with Sevinne's Reclamation.

Being a former lands player sure it isn't nearly as insane value engine as those decks, but it does honest work. Hardly ever gets removed when it is on the field unless it is part of a boardwipe.

What have been your considerations to replace Crucible with if you do take it out?

Falkenbach

Post by Falkenbach » 1 year ago

If you dont run signets or talisman and are on the cabbal coffers/nykthos or crypt of agadeem path i think its a much better stay. Being able to have consistant land drops is really important..

The only bad thing about it is: when to play it as it fights with the 3 drop zombies to be on curve..
I always run against dropping zombies on curve and varina on turn 4. Versus more lands sevinnes with fetch land or the cosmic intervention trick..

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 1 year ago

Crucible of Worlds probably works well with Field of the Dead and fetch lands. Tormod, the Desecrator would make this even better.

I play Field and Tormod and most of the fetch lands that are appropriate, but I no longer have a Crucible to test with.

Tokens aren't a big part of my game plan anyway, but they trigger my guys on EtB and dying, so I have a small investment in them.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Rframpt wrote:
1 year ago
ChocoDude wrote:
1 year ago
@toctheyounger
For me Crucible has been a fine card to have as utility. Works well with Varina as you can easily pitch lands you draw with her and play them in the second main phase. Tormod, the Desecrator gets some usage from it as well creating more zombie tokens. And if you don't need it immediately pitch it and bring it back with Sevinne's Reclamation.

Being a former lands player sure it isn't nearly as insane value engine as those decks, but it does honest work. Hardly ever gets removed when it is on the field unless it is part of a boardwipe.

What have been your considerations to replace Crucible with if you do take it out?
I'll likely try Dark Ritual, Entomb or Enlightened Tutor in its place. I've got 2 of the three and they all seem very good.

For myself, I've found once I'm at 5 or 6 lands I don't really need a ton more, so they quite often just end up Varina fodder.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Rframpt

I can definitely recommend Entomb . Enlightened Tutor I can see an argument for but given the many black-aligned tutors I think there are better choices other than Enlightened Tutor unless the card choice 9/10 times is Skullclamp

Rframpt

Also Toctheyounger. You mentioned Poxwalkers being good for your deck. Anything interesting in how you have made sure to make it work for Varina?

pzbw7z

Rframpt wrote:
1 year ago
I can definitely recommend Entomb . Enlightened Tutor I can see an argument for but given the many black-aligned tutors I think there are better choices other than Enlightened Tutor unless the card choice 9/10 times is Skullclamp
Phyrexian Altar is probably target number one. The trouble with the black tutors is cost; the good ones are pricey. He's already running Vampiric Tutor and Diabolic Intent. Grim Tutor is probably the next best considering price as well as utility. Beseech the Queen works fine but it doesn't get along with Ad Nauseam nor does Dark Petition. With the reprint, Enlightened Tutor looks to be substantially cheaper than Demonic Tutor and even slightly less than Grim Tutor.

pzbw7z

I have to admit, I sometimes tutor for Buried Alive. Anything to get the Haakon engine going. :)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Etutor for altar, mystical tutor for intuition are generally comparable to vamp tutor enough I would run both (significantly before grim tutor or imperial seal)

(I just don't need that many tutors, I prefer to get there by drawing cards)

toctheyounger

Rframpt wrote:
1 year ago
Also Toctheyounger. You mentioned Poxwalkers being good for your deck. Anything interesting in how you have made sure to make it work for Varina?
Nothing in particular other than that it works very well with Gravecrawler and Haakon. And Lili. I've just found it well worth burying alive.

Falkenbach

Fatestitcher
Wish this was a 3 drop .. as it is i dont think he stands a chance to enter the primer. Tho would work fine with nykthos cabbal coffers and the like

toctheyounger

Falkenbach wrote:
1 year ago
Fatestitcher
Wish this was a 3 drop .. as it is i dont think he stands a chance to enter the primer. Tho would work fine with nykthos cabbal coffers and the like
Honestly it's pretty strong in the right place. There's places it does amazing things. Specifically in blink strategies and with stuff like birthing pod and Prime Speaker Vannifar.

All that aside the unearth is pretty amazing.

Rframpt

I do want to know which Zombie cards have been all-stars in the rest of you folks' decks? Gray Merchant of Asphodel is certainly the top one as it is usually a when condition. But if you have any other amazing tech I would love to know.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

Rframpt wrote:
1 year ago
I do want to know which Zombie cards have been all-stars in the rest of you folks' decks? Gray Merchant of Asphodel is certainly the top one as it is usually a when condition. But if you have any other amazing tech I would love to know.
Noxious Ghoul remain my favourite. Theres one memorable match when this guy kept a fully powered sliver deck at bay

pokken

Haakon figures in close to half my wins these days. Enough I'm considering finally adding buried alive. No one expects you to win with ashnods altar in zombies without mikaeus.

Lazotep Reaver is one of the most underplayed I think. Two bodies for two mana and one card is absurd. It's like zombie raise the alarm.

pzbw7z

Haakon, Stromgald Scourge is a personal favorite along with his partners in crime, Corpse Knight and Foulmire Knight. These are my go-to Buried Alive trio. I badly need a Universal Automaton to round out Haakon's potential.

Zombie Master puts in work for me sometimes.

Living Death and Zombie Apocalypse are the heavy hitters; mass reanimation is often a factor in my games along with the EtB and dies triggers.

And, yes, Gray Merchant of Asphodel pulls his weight as well.

pzbw7z

Somebody ought to shout out Phyrexian Altar; it's the card that scares people - with good reason.

pokken

pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
Somebody ought to shout out Phyrexian Altar; it's the card that scares people - with good reason.
It sounded like they were asking specifically about zombies :)

I'll add Putrid Imp as a little used allstar. I've done so many sick things with the imp. It gets so ridiculous sometimes. The ability to free discard after your Varina trigger can really be huge for a mass reanimation.

Rframpt

pzbw7z wrote:
1 year ago
Phyrexian Altar is definitely an all-star for sure. I was mostly asking for which Zombie cards folks are using in case there had been any I somehow had missed or if others had some hidden all-stars they had not mentioned before.

toctheyounger

Rframpt wrote:
1 year ago
Cryptbrealer, Wayward Servant, Headless Rider and Champion of the Perished are my current favorites.

pzbw7z

Tormod, the Desecrator is a good man - er, Zombie. He's made tokens a much stronger sub-theme for me. Tokens don't flip all of the triggers, but they flip many of them.

Falkenbach

Cryptbreaker has so much utility its crazy,

pokken

Falkenbach wrote:
1 year ago
Cryptbreaker has so much utility its crazy,
Single handedly a 1 2 and 3 drop into Varina. So good.

One time I did crypt crypt crypt+1 drop into Varina and crashed for 4.

pzbw7z

Varina's looting ability facilitates many strategies but it also - in my mind at least - elevates some cards' playability. Haakon, Stromgald Scourge is the prime example. Wonder is another, if you like that sort of thing. I also wouldn't likely play Sidisi, Undead Vizier if I didn't plan to bin her every time she shows up.

Does anyone else think like this?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”