[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Tromokratis

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Posts: 2386
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago
First time seeing this card. This is delightfully weird, and actually somewhat flexible. Ultimately outclassed by various options that permanently solve things in a less janky manner (Intrepid Hero, Royal Assassin, or Visara the Dreadful/Avatar of Woe a bit higher up in CMC), and already don't see a ton of play. I'll keep it in mind going forward, might be of some use to some low power jankatron Selesnya.
I definitely tried to use it in Alesha myself, so don't lock yourself down to Selesnya. It's so hard to use though, three and a tap is slow and the way it can be undone...likely you need some kind of lock setup to prevent the undo. AEther Storm? Now you're in U/W and counters don't help because the undo trigger is on cast. Hmm.

But it's fun. It'll certainly draw less hate than, say, the humble Royal Assassin at least. And it won't make people as nervous as, say, a Void Stalker. :)
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

WBRKaalia of the Vast [THE Definitive Primer now feat. the other Kaalia!]
BRGKorvold, Fae-Cursed King [White Borders Edition]
GAyula, Queen Among Bears (BEAR POWERRR!! WIP)
RKari Zev, Skyship Raider [Aggro-Stax]

User avatar
folding_music
trelasarra main
Posts: 1412
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

have played Soul Sculptors in a silly blue-white deck alongside Aether Storm, Portcullis, Overburden, Waterfront Bouncer and so forth; I noticed that everyone's pet deck was stuffed full of OP creatures with no other avenues to victory and decided to put together a reason for people to add other dimensions to their decks! That was in sixty-card casual, but the basic principle still makes sense in EDH.

User avatar
hyalopterouslemur
Posts: 1690
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

For all you Melvins who want an enchantment artifact land planeswalker creature.

Back in Spikeland, this would be cool, if both versions of blink (the instant one and the "until end of turn/your next upkeep" one) didn't exist.

I suppose if you have a creature with a high CMC you can use this with Opalescence for lulz.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

ChazA4
Posts: 18
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ChazA4 » 2 years ago

Sphere of Safety lulz

They've done all the calculations and get ready to swing...and suddenly you tack on an extra 1 per critter.

Other than that, yeah...seems bad.

User avatar
Mookie
Posts: 2011
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 23
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: the æthereal plane

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Seems interesting. I may actually want to give it a shot in my Samut (tap ability tribal) deck sometime - Naya doesn't have many options for tap ability creatures that outright kill something, so being able to ward off various attacks isn't irrelevant. Could also occasionally protect my own creatures from board wipes. Angel of Condemnation may just do those jobs better, but at least Soul Sculptor is cheaper to activate. Works pretty well if you have repeatable enchantment destruction (like Aura Shards).

User avatar
Cyberium
Posts: 593
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

It was said in Chinese mythology that, if you wish to prevent an art piece from coming alive, you cannot "enlighten" both of the creature's eyes.

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Posts: 2386
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Tuesday, July 30th, 2019; Assault Suit

Image
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

WBRKaalia of the Vast [THE Definitive Primer now feat. the other Kaalia!]
BRGKorvold, Fae-Cursed King [White Borders Edition]
GAyula, Queen Among Bears (BEAR POWERRR!! WIP)
RKari Zev, Skyship Raider [Aggro-Stax]

User avatar
spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Posts: 907
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 9
Pronoun: she / her
Location: London

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Tuesday, July 30th, 2019; Assault Suit

Image
This one is a beautiful underrated card for Saskia the Unyielding:
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to the chosen player.
Now that's true for every attacking creature on every player's turn! :grin:

It's even true when Saskia's being controlled by the player you chose: when their attackers connect with anyone, they get dealt damage by their own creatures!

User avatar
Mookie
Posts: 2011
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 23
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: the æthereal plane

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Giving your commander (or any other creature) haste and +2/+2 is certainly useful, but not quite worth the cost by itself.
Sharing your commander with others to accelerate commander damage is the most obvious usage.
Next level of usage is to throw it on something with a downside, like Avaricious Dragon or Steel Golem.
An even deeper level of usage is to abuse the 'can't be sacrificed' clause alongside something like Death Cloud.
If you want to be even sillier, use it on Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder to draw the game.
Personally, I run it in one deck: creatureless Zedruu the Greathearted. Not to suit up Zedruu, but to protect a Lunar Force that has been animated by Starfield of Nyx. Haven't actually pulled off that combo yet, but I'll do it one of these days, I swear!

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Posts: 2386
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Giving your commander (or any other creature) haste and +2/+2 is certainly useful, but not quite worth the cost by itself.
Sharing your commander with others to accelerate commander damage is the most obvious usage.
Next level of usage is to throw it on something with a downside, like Avaricious Dragon or Steel Golem.
An even deeper level of usage is to abuse the 'can't be sacrificed' clause alongside something like Death Cloud.
If you want to be even sillier, use it on Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder to draw the game.
Personally, I run it in one deck: creatureless Zedruu the Greathearted. Not to suit up Zedruu, but to protect a Lunar Force that has been animated by Starfield of Nyx. Haven't actually pulled off that combo yet, but I'll do it one of these days, I swear!
So, the dragon wont quite work here since you'll still pitch your hand. If you wanted the mass mind twist, you'd be better off with Sire of Insanity.

I presume to your combo you have Hesitation as well for redundancy?
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

WBRKaalia of the Vast [THE Definitive Primer now feat. the other Kaalia!]
BRGKorvold, Fae-Cursed King [White Borders Edition]
GAyula, Queen Among Bears (BEAR POWERRR!! WIP)
RKari Zev, Skyship Raider [Aggro-Stax]

User avatar
Dunharrow
Posts: 981
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

I feel like you could put this on Nikya of the Old Ways to great success. Only thing is you have to cast this before Nikya.
Also Abyssal Persecutor to stop opponents from winning on their turns.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TwentySeven
Insert Epithet Here
Posts: 4
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TwentySeven » 2 years ago

Fun with Rakdos the Defiler and "must attack" effects
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

User avatar
hyalopterouslemur
Posts: 1690
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
This one is a beautiful underrated card for Saskia the Unyielding:
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to the chosen player.
Now that's true for every attacking creature on every player's turn! :grin:

It's even true when Saskia's being controlled by the player you chose: when their attackers connect with anyone, they get dealt damage by their own creatures!
Yeah, if you're playing Saskia. I was about to say it doesn't work on any other card.

You can also use it with things like infect and super trample (depending on where you are). It's great with the Sword of X and Y cycle. Also Keen Sense, and it gets even better on Saskia with Keen Sense, where you're drawing two cards every turn.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Posts: 2386
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Uhm. It doesn't have to attack? I'm confused to the comments saying to put it on creatures like OG Rakdos.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

WBRKaalia of the Vast [THE Definitive Primer now feat. the other Kaalia!]
BRGKorvold, Fae-Cursed King [White Borders Edition]
GAyula, Queen Among Bears (BEAR POWERRR!! WIP)
RKari Zev, Skyship Raider [Aggro-Stax]

TwentySeven
Insert Epithet Here
Posts: 4
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TwentySeven » 2 years ago

thus rakdos + effects forcing creatures to attack - poorly phrased in my original comment. I've seen it in Thantis as a fun jank "combo" where Thantis or whatever else forces the attack
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

User avatar
DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Posts: 2289
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Every time I think about including this card, I remember that it doesn't force the creature to attack, and don't include it.

With the exception of must-attack commanders - it's ok in zurgo helmsmasher, for example. Otherwise I think it's way too much effort to justify in most decks.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Posts: 2386
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

4 drop and 3 equip is a pretty hefty cost for an equipment. That puts you at Spellbinder levels. Near Kaldratron levels. More than a Sword for far less than the value. Unless, you put it on Karona, False God?
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

WBRKaalia of the Vast [THE Definitive Primer now feat. the other Kaalia!]
BRGKorvold, Fae-Cursed King [White Borders Edition]
GAyula, Queen Among Bears (BEAR POWERRR!! WIP)
RKari Zev, Skyship Raider [Aggro-Stax]

User avatar
Mookie
Posts: 2011
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 23
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: the æthereal plane

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Giving your commander (or any other creature) haste and +2/+2 is certainly useful, but not quite worth the cost by itself.
Sharing your commander with others to accelerate commander damage is the most obvious usage.
Next level of usage is to throw it on something with a downside, like Avaricious Dragon or Steel Golem.
An even deeper level of usage is to abuse the 'can't be sacrificed' clause alongside something like Death Cloud.
If you want to be even sillier, use it on Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder to draw the game.
Personally, I run it in one deck: creatureless Zedruu the Greathearted. Not to suit up Zedruu, but to protect a Lunar Force that has been animated by Starfield of Nyx. Haven't actually pulled off that combo yet, but I'll do it one of these days, I swear!
So, the dragon wont quite work here since you'll still pitch your hand. If you wanted the mass mind twist, you'd be better off with Sire of Insanity.

I presume to your combo you have Hesitation as well for redundancy?
Hesitation would have the unfortunate side effect of countering my own spells, so no.
I do intend to include Decree of Silence, but haven't actually gotten around to adding it yet.

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Posts: 2386
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Giving your commander (or any other creature) haste and +2/+2 is certainly useful, but not quite worth the cost by itself.
Sharing your commander with others to accelerate commander damage is the most obvious usage.
Next level of usage is to throw it on something with a downside, like Avaricious Dragon or Steel Golem.
An even deeper level of usage is to abuse the 'can't be sacrificed' clause alongside something like Death Cloud.
If you want to be even sillier, use it on Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder to draw the game.
Personally, I run it in one deck: creatureless Zedruu the Greathearted. Not to suit up Zedruu, but to protect a Lunar Force that has been animated by Starfield of Nyx. Haven't actually pulled off that combo yet, but I'll do it one of these days, I swear!
So, the dragon wont quite work here since you'll still pitch your hand. If you wanted the mass mind twist, you'd be better off with Sire of Insanity.

I presume to your combo you have Hesitation as well for redundancy?
Hesitation would have the unfortunate side effect of countering my own spells, so no.
I do intend to include Decree of Silence, but haven't actually gotten around to adding it yet.
Well, I know back in my younger days I played Hesitation inside of a Hanna, Ship's Navigator deck, and it always over performed for me. You have to pay more attention to your sequencing, but I'd suggest you run it too. It's still not as good as Standstill though, of course. :)
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

WBRKaalia of the Vast [THE Definitive Primer now feat. the other Kaalia!]
BRGKorvold, Fae-Cursed King [White Borders Edition]
GAyula, Queen Among Bears (BEAR POWERRR!! WIP)
RKari Zev, Skyship Raider [Aggro-Stax]

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Posts: 2386
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Nomad Outpost, Tarkir

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Wednesday, July 31st, 2019; Fatal Frenzy

Image
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

WBRKaalia of the Vast [THE Definitive Primer now feat. the other Kaalia!]
BRGKorvold, Fae-Cursed King [White Borders Edition]
GAyula, Queen Among Bears (BEAR POWERRR!! WIP)
RKari Zev, Skyship Raider [Aggro-Stax]

User avatar
Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Posts: 404
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Freiburg, Germany
Contact:

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Image
A poor man's Berserk and certainly very fun a few months back when i still had my Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck!

Beyondnoxx
Temple of Mystery caretaker
Posts: 39
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Denmark

Post by Beyondnoxx » 2 years ago

I remember this card. I had it in a sealed event. did very good things. when your opponent are at 10-12 and you attack with a 4/4 or 5/5 and they just chump it. and then the pump. I think I won that event. very much on the back of that and a green/red deck.
- Noxx
Pauper:N/A
Commander:N/A
Modern:N/A
Cards to sort: 80.000-85.000 :hmm:

User avatar
Sinis
Posts: 1583
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Wednesday, July 31st, 2019; Fatal Frenzy
I'd play it in anything that had Berserk in it and was in red.

I've had a good deal of fun with this; spellslinger decks with cards like Wee Dragonauts do okay when you double them up with this or something like Rush of Blood.

User avatar
Mookie
Posts: 2011
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 23
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: the æthereal plane

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Well, I know back in my younger days I played Hesitation inside of a Hanna, Ship's Navigator deck, and it always over performed for me. You have to pay more attention to your sequencing, but I'd suggest you run it too. It's still not as good as Standstill though, of course. :)
Specific to this instance, the plan is to animate Lunar Force and equip it with Assault Suit, which means that it will stick around to keep countering my opponents' spells, while not affecting my own spells. Hesitation affects all players' spells (including my own), which would mean that I animated + equipped it, I wouldn't be able to resolve spells either. So, significantly less useful as a win condition.

Re: Fatal Frenzy - Berserk is a power effect, even at 3 mana. This version can only hit your own creatures, but it's still a lot of damage on an instant-speed combat trick. However, if looking only at damage, you can get the same effect by granting double strike (without needing to sacrifice your creature) - Boros Charm and Psychotic Fury both do so at a cheaper cost, although they do require multiple colors to function and don't grant trample. Temur Battle Rage is likely the best option, since it grants both keywords.

I suppose you could build around Fatal Frenzy's downside if you're running a lot of Threaten effects, but at 3 mana, I don't think that it is a particularly efficient sacrifice outlet. Maybe a commander like Brion Stoutarm, since you effectively get quadruple damage from it (bonus on the attack and Brion's fling).

User avatar
lyonhaert
Posts: 602
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 2 years ago

Used to run Fatal Frenzy in my Zada, Hedron Grinder deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”