[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

(card of the day is Shifting Sky)
pygmy kavu|psf shifting sky|psf's a deliberately-seeded same set combo <3 Reap goes along with all that

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

Why isn't it available to Rith, the Awakener? I mean, at least there I have Painter's Servant.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago

So what do you have with this?
Best i can do is Llawan, Cephalid Empress!

Other than that, it is fetchable with Zur the Enchanter, so i bet there are some off decks built around it.

Gentle Giant
It's all jank, always has been

Post by Gentle Giant » 1 year ago

Toshi wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago

So what do you have with this?
Best i can do is Llawan, Cephalid Empress!

Other than that, it is fetchable with Zur the Enchanter, so i bet there are some off decks built around it.
I built a Zur colour shifting deck once using cards like this, colour/land hacking cards, and stuff like Sanctimony and Insight. It wasn't that good but made for interesting situations :p
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Averna, Roulette Croupier: Cascade Chaos | Cascade, Chaos, Group Choices
The Ur-Dragon Tribal Tribal | Randomized Batches, Diverse, Quirky
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Monday, August 15th, 2022; Shape Anew

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

huh didn't know this existed
it tickles my johnny brain a bit - the idea of having asymmetrical artifact hate and playing this to cheat Mycosynth Lattice into play... as long as my general is an artifact or makes artifacts.

But it's such a one-trick pony, like all Polymorph decks, this idea bored me before I even found a general.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
huh didn't know this existed
it tickles my johnny brain a bit - the idea of having asymmetrical artifact hate and playing this to cheat Mycosynth Lattice into play... as long as my general is an artifact or makes artifacts.

But it's such a one-trick pony, like all Polymorph decks, this idea bored me before I even found a general.
100% same.

The flipside that makes it even worse is that this kind of deck would want to play a lot of artifacts, anyway, rendering the polymorph aspect rather weak compared to a creatureless build.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

I had a 60 card deck with Shape Anew and Precursor Golem and Elixir of Immortality that was kind of funny. Unfortunately, that was also when Searing Blaze was an exciting new toy, so I insta-died more than once.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

hyalopterouslemur

Another card for it is Enlightened Tutor. Or Vampiric Tutor.

You can also sac things like sadbot and wellsprings. Or just a myr token or something generic like that.

But yeah, polymorph effects get boring quickly.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Shape Anew is effectively Polymorph for artifacts, and it isn't that much more difficult to build around than the traditional 'no creatures other than Blightsteel Colossus / other obnoxious fatty' - in this case, not running any other artifacts and having treasure / clue / food / etc producers as your artifact generators. That said, giving up all your mana rocks is a significant cost, and I also question whether Blightsteel alone is enough to justify building around. Maybe you could do something broken with Bolas's Citadel? Hmmm...

I ran the numbers a while ago in the Emrakul, the Aeons Torn ban discussion thread, and I think my conclusion was that Emrakul is better than the next-best option (probably Blightsteel / Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre) by a surprisingly significant margin... and on the flip side, the lack of threats that powerful is the reason why this style of deck usually isn't worth running. I'll also call out that there is more redundancy for Polymorph than there is for its artifact equivalent - you do have stuff like Reality Scramble, but there aren't many other options.

...anyway, I think this style of deck is mildly interesting to brew, but gets boring to play pretty quickly, so not something I've really played around with.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

There's a weird guy who occasionally wanders around my LGS looking for games against his quote-unquote "Kitchen Table Casual" Oath of Druids deck. I asked to look at his deck once and surprise, surprise his only wincon creature is 4 copies of Iona, Shield of Emeria.

I feel bad for him sometimes, but dude, c'mon. Who wants to play 60 card casual against that? And why do I only see him on EDH nights?

Anyway, anytime I see a polymorph card I think of that guy, just as alone as his oath of druids requires his creatures to be.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

There aren't enough effects to use it this way, but I like the idea of Liquimetal Torque turning an opponent's card into an artifact and then making them morph it.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks

Tuesday, August 16th, 2022; Runehorn Hellkite

I really should be playing this more since I never have to cast it and I can crack it on the end step of the player to my right. Six is pretty reasonable for a instant speed wheel.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
There's a weird guy who occasionally wanders around my LGS looking for games against his quote-unquote "Kitchen Table Casual" Oath of Druids deck. I asked to look at his deck once and surprise, surprise his only wincon creature is 4 copies of Iona, Shield of Emeria.

I feel bad for him sometimes, but dude, c'mon. Who wants to play 60 card casual against that? And why do I only see him on EDH nights?

Anyway, anytime I see a polymorph card I think of that guy, just as alone as his oath of druids requires his creatures to be.
Pubstomper. Right up there with the person that swears their thousand-year storm deck is "perfectly casual" 🙄

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I feel like I always forget I have this guy in the GY. That's on me, though. Wish I had more copies.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Imagine: a wheel you can use after wheeling it away.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

hard to counter instant-speed wheel
casting this creature seems like a mistake. You just want to get it in the yard.
Maybe I should throw this into that grixis madness deck I was working on.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

I was excited when Runehorn Hellkite was printed. Picked up a few early and even included in a deck or two, but only maybe activated it once. Had it in my maybe-board for Zurzoth, Chaos Rider and now having it pop up here and thinking back to why I liked it in the past makes it a shoe-in due to the randomized discard getting this into the graveyard for activation later.

See Ruin Grinder for a newer version of a wheel on a stick.

hyalopterouslemur

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Imagine: a wheel you can use after wheeling it away.
Why it's in my Nekusar. Really the only reason.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I really enjoy abilities that activate from the graveyard a la the incarnations etc., but I wish this dragon was a bit more frontloaded. Haste or maybe a 6/6 body. Not much, but just a little more.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Six mana is a little steep for Wheel of Fortune (well, not really, given how undercosted it is), but instant speed and working out of the graveyard are two significant upsides for Runehorn Hellkite. Instant speed is particularly nice because it means you can untap with a full grip and make use of the new cards before your opponents. As a result, I would say I'd be interested in Runehorn Hellkite in decks with significant graveyard synergies, or red decks that can dump their hands quickly (and can loot / rummage it away) and want to refuel. I don't think you ever want to cast it though - a 5/5 flyer for 6 is... fine if you're desperate, but not something I would ever be excited about.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

I use it in my Nicol Bolas Wheel deck ^^

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

Wish this were a cycle Rune<Something> <Critter> as a new "Magus of X" throwback. Iconic Sorceries from before Ice Age - e.g. a U Kracken that exiles for Braingeyser or a G Wurm that exiles for Eureka, etc.

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Right up there with the person that swears their thousand-year storm deck is "perfectly casual" 🙄
I tried making a casual deck with 1K yr Storm. Tribal Monk Zedruu, prowess/buyback/rebound sub-theme. That's gotta work for casual, right? Wrong. Even with Haze of Rage as the only storm card, it drove an otherwise very casual deck into something annoyingly heavy handed. Really, something is wrong with a card that makes a deck running Pendant of Prosperity , Crown of Doom, and Rainbow Vale stop feeling casual. . .
V/R

Treamayne

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

That you can activate it as an instant is what really makes this card. I imagine I'd totally run this in a Scion of the Ur-Dragon or Zirilan of the Claw build.

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

Runehorn Hellkite is a near staple in Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded where you are always working in divisions of 3 mana, and chocking through your hand at ludicrous speed. That deck will take all the red wheels it can get.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”