[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 1 year ago

Missed that it says enchant mountain. But it only needs 3 more pips for infinite attacks or 4 for infinite mana, because Aggravated Assault brings a pip to the table. Let's just add Chromatic Lantern to the equation to make Nykthos a mountain, then have the finisher be a Fireball.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Tuesday, December 6th, 2022; Goblin Lore and functional reprint Control of the Court

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

It's a card that I've thought about throwing into my Etali, Primal Storm Chaos deck a few times, but it is outclassed by Burning Inquiry which, while technically card disadvantage, hits everyone. Nothing like causing that player with that perfectly crafted hand from having to lose a few key cards.

Honestly, outside of some sort of dredge deck that cares more about drawing and filling up the graveyard than what they are drawing, I am not really sure its home.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Probably decent in Rielle, the Everwise or in dredge decks, but too unreliable as a cantrip
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Amazing in exactly Eruth, Tormented Prophet. Anywhere else, Iunno man. But in Eruth, boy do they make up for their mediocrity everywhere else. That deck wants as much of this as it can get.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Come to think of it, i need a Winds of Change to T1 it.

onering

Winds of change turn 1 results in the table being lifted because everyone but the caster is attempting to flip it at the same time.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Toshi wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Come to think of it, i need a Winds of Change to T1 it.
You monster! May all your T1 wheels draw thee into nary a land and may your opponents all draw Sol Ring!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Theoretically there are quite a few commanders who care about the graveyard and could get value from it. But practically speaking I don't think many commanders would want to run it over, say, Tormenting Voice, Faithless Looting, Thrill of Possibility, etc. that give you more reliable control.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Is there some combo with Underworld Breach? Probably need at least one other piece, but I'm not sure what.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks

Wednesday, December 7th, 2022; Leonin Abunas

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

this power creeps Spectral Guardian and I'm on teh phone with wotc right now to complain about my precious reserved list giggle

edit: I would definitely play this in Kemba, Kha Regent or Bruenor Battlehammer or whatever. still undecided what equipment deck I actually wanna make but it should be either d&d or furry and those are teh front-runners

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I'm pretty low on Leonin Abunas, but that is at least partially because my artifact-based decks are blue and thus can run Padeem, Consul of Innovation. It may be worth consideration in mono-white, but the presence of Farewell and other mass artifact destruction means I'm not entirely convinced that it is worth spending a slot on granting your stuff hexproof alone.

3drinks

Thursday, December 8th, 2022; Teferi, Time Raveler

Ban this and replace it with the Alchemy rewrite tbh. These kinds of cards shutting down interaction table-wide are absolutely toxic to responsible gameplay. I'll take a hundred Oko, Thief of Crowns before another lame and :poop: Teferi-nongame.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

These cards are mostly a trap unless you're using them as a Grand Abolisher -- because their secret rules txt is:
You are now responsible for stopping literally everything. Good luck!
But if that's the case, just...use Grand Abolisher or Dosan the Falling Leaf or similar.

3drinks

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
These cards are mostly a trap unless you're using them as a Grand Abolisher -- because their secret rules txt is:
But if that's the case, just...use Grand Abolisher or Dosan the Falling Leaf or similar.
City of Solitude because it even stops abilities and is clinically unfair.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Yeah, I think a lot of people miss this, if you aren't slamming something devastating down the turn you play Teferi, Time Raveler then it's actually more of a liability then a boon. If you DO want protection, Grand Abolisher is still best in class imo as it still allows the table to interact with each other, just not with you.

Probably the best protection option for Sisay, Weatherlight Captain.

As for the other two abilities, they are nice, bounce can turn off a stax piece for a turn, drawing cards is nice, and the +1 allowing you to endstep wip[e is also nice. But none of these make up for the possibility of this blowing up in your face imo.

I think it's a great example of how multiplayer really changes the value of certain cards.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Oh hey floodgate passives on planeswalker cards! That sure was a mistake! And I love too how one of the most pushed characters in all of Magic the Gathering just so happens to have a dreadfully frequent habit of sporting some of the most obnoxious design imaginable in the cards that represent him.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

Playing standard with this guy in it was so anoying

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Lol, glad to see people agree with my position. I hate these effects. Shutting down interaction for everyone is a recipe for disaster unless you're going to win right now.

@Dunadain Myrel, Shield of Argive is also an option for Sisay - more expensive but doesn't have the same pitfalls.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

onering

This card is very good at precisely two things:

1: shutting down non counterspell answers to a game winning play, as well helping that play sneak through counter magic (because the first counterspell will be aimed at Teferi)

2: handing the game to someone else that DOES have a combo or game winning play available.

Clearly I think this card was a mistake.

On a related topic, I loathe Alchemy and it's enabling of lazy design. Having to ban cards is a cost that in theory helps restrain wreckless design, being able to functional errata cards without restraint makes getting it right the first time less important. I don't doubt that WotC wishes they could just do that for any card, and as digital continues to grow I worry they might adapt that strategy and start fixing even paper cards by just issuing errata and new printings.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Its good in decks with a heavily defensive position. I run one in my Vadrok, Apex of Thunder Gideon lose the game deck because I am already positioning to protect all my Gideons and it opens me up to the potential to instant speed extra turns plus Vadrok can rez Teferi. I really haven't been disapointed in what he can do in that deck but its not so much that I run the card much as a whole.

I think that if you play Teferi in a deck with lots of counterspells its probably super lame. I don't feel so bad about it because I run 1 counterspell and Glorious End so while my commander can make him feel heavily present if I find him I don't get into counter and hard control with him so I feel alright about running him in that deck. That deck also doesn't really win via combo but chaining multiple turns can feel combo like I often use it as protection for my Gideon's as I push for cards that will potentially kill me.

I do think that this card can be rough as far as the attention it brings and you do have to have an answer to all the game winning attempts that follow it up. The more combo your meta is the more awkward that can be.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Lol, glad to see people agree with my position. I hate these effects. Shutting down interaction for everyone is a recipe for disaster unless you're going to win right now.

@Dunadain Myrel, Shield of Argive is also an option for Sisay - more expensive but doesn't have the same pitfalls.
I saw Myrel, Shield of Argive when it was spoiled and didn't put the two together, but yeah, I'd say Myrel, Shield of Argive is probably better in Sissay.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

3drinks

Friday, December 9th, 2022; Burn at the Stake

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I don't think this card is good. I want to try it in Phylath, World Sculptor anyway.

(Do we know why it's 3x?)
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”