[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Wednesday, June 22nd, 2022; Syr Carah, the Bold

I suspect people are sleeping on this mono-r CA engine.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I never noticed that you impulse a card when damaging yourself too.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

If only this worked off either vortexes. At any rate though, I think there's an old school battle cruiser deck here using a dearth of all player burn and this to keep digging through the deck. A natural gauntlet of might deck.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I never noticed that you impulse a card when damaging yourself too.
Usually only matters with wipes. It does separate her from the Squallmonger/Keen Sense trick, though.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 1 year ago

As a commander, she's super all in and a bit expensive to cast to get rolling. Mono red burn can just run Torbran and make all their stuff hit harder instead, and he can be scary fast when he fires on all cylinders yet doesn't just collapse if Torbran is answered. He's also better at dealing with opponents stuff because he doesn't just boost stuff to the face, so you basically run a ton of efficient removal that also can kill people.

Where Syr Carah shines is the 99. She's a nice addition to Torbran, or any burn commander. She also wears Thornbite Staff really well, which let's you point your burn at creatures yet still get the impulse draw from her getting another ping in. Because she triggers herself, she's also pretty good in decks that can get extra untaps reliably.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I've been trying to find space for Syr Carah, the Bold in my Samut, Voice of Dissent deck - there aren't that many creatures in Naya colors with ': draw a card', and I also like the idea of adding more pingers to that deck to go with Basilisk Collar and Saryth, the Viper's Fang. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to free up a slot yet - five mana is a bit expensive for a draw engine, and I generally find impulsive draw effects a little clunky. Still, definitely seems like they have potential. Obviously much stronger in a deck that can take advantage of the additional burn synergies for extra triggers - if you can chain together burn spells, that seems like it would be pretty sweet.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

She is viable and can even be impressive especially given how budget friendly most of the deck for her is but the problem is its a 5 drop mono red commander who is super all in on their commander. Disruption via theft / transform will be a huge issue and you mostly play like you are playing red deck in other formats in that you mostly need to be single minded on going face.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Oh hey I actually do have one of her lying around. I should totally build an "Oops No Rares 2: Literal Electric Boogaloo".

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Unless you're untapping her or using burn spells (which, for obvious reasons, most decks in this format aren't), she's mostly just equivalent to an Outpost Siege, which can generally be gotten for less mana and less vulnerable to removal. So I don't think she's a particularly versatile engine. If you're paying 5 you could play Mind's Eye or something too, which gives you real draw instead of impulse draw (yes, at a mana cost, but you can also do it 3+ times in a turn cycle).

If you're playing burn, though, she can definitely pop off. So she's definitely niche but she has her place in the format.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Unless you're untapping her or using burn spells (which, for obvious reasons, most decks in this format aren't), she's mostly just equivalent to an Outpost Siege, which can generally be gotten for less mana and less vulnerable to removal. So I don't think she's a particularly versatile engine. If you're paying 5 you could play Mind's Eye or something too, which gives you real draw instead of impulse draw (yes, at a mana cost, but you can also do it 3+ times in a turn cycle).

If you're playing burn, though, she can definitely pop off. So she's definitely niche but she has her place in the format.
You can hit all players or all opponents with the burn effects and trigger 3-4 exile castable cards per spell. Its better than Outpost Siege but SUUUPER commander centric and falls apart when people interact with you.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
You can hit all players or all opponents with the burn effects and trigger 3-4 exile castable cards per spell. Its better than Outpost Siege but SUUUPER commander centric and falls apart when people interact with you.
Yeah, that's basically what I said. She can do a lot of work if you're running flame rift-type stuff, but very few decks want to run flame rift outside of running her as a commander. So she's a very niche card.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

Thursday, June 23rd, 2022; Sarulf, Realm Eater

Like a walking Deed in the Zone. Probably has gotten forgotten with all the legends of every other set, and isn't that just a little sad.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

i just ordered myself a copy of this doggo. really strong when yr already the pernicious deed, powder keg, blast zone jerk and are intending to keep the board free of little things to let bigger creatures play. also in abzan with Miraculous Recovery this is Meltdown for 1 out of nowhere <3 I totally ignored Kaldheim apart from grabbing the frost duals so I'm catching up with this set but I know Sarulf is one of my fave cards from it.

as a commander he might be too much? I get the feeling that certain ways of building decks would crumple immediately to him + land

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Annoying to play against, probably gets targeted by removal disproportionately.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I'm all against animal cruelty, but this is a dog that must be put down. Repeatedly.

Otherwise, it'll kill all your chickens and we can't have that.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

I wanted Sarulf, Realm Eater to be Grismold's best friend, but alas, Sarulf will pretty much always bite the hand that feeds…

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I can't imagine too many cards that will draw aggro like this poor guy. I think that alone keeps him from being top of the heap. Also the fact that he exiles everything can really hamper the plans you'd often have in GB. His design is great but in practice he's got a lot going against him.

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

I built a land destruction with him at the helm. The idea is to use cards like Sinkhole to grow Sarulf and then he can remove the rest. The deck is not the best. Sarulf's ability is very easy to disrupt. Any removal on Sarulf is rough and edict effects are extra bad (I've started to run Khalni Garden just so that I can crop rotate into it).

hyalopterouslemur

The exile factor makes it more annoying.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Sarulf, Realm Eater is sort of cool, but as others have noted, it will also attract a ton of hate - people generally don't like having their stuff exiled repeatedly. It's also a bit clunky given the hoops you need to jump through - stuff needs to die, then Sarulf needs to live until your upkeep. As a result, not a card I've ever seen played. If you really want this effect in the command zone, I'd recommend going with the more consistent Child of Alara... not that either will make you many friends.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

I used to have a Sarulf, Realm Eater deck with no rares but I quit playing it because people really don't like playing against it. It was kind of fun to create a Golgari draw go deck though, but I think I only won 1 game with it and usually got a lot of hate.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Sarulf, Realm Eater is one of those cards that when I first read it I thought "Oh that's gonna be cool." Then I read it again and thought "Oh ok. I think I get it. Nice!" Then I read it again and finally thought "Oh...ummm...nevermind then."
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

hyalopterouslemur

He's primarily a token hoser, unless you're willing to use an Increasing Savagery or something similar.

3drinks

Friday, June 24th, 2022; Callous Oppressor

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”