[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

I mean, other than one word, this would be great. But I'm going to assume that putting Avacyn's text on a noncreature would be disgusting.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

Gentle Giant wrote:
1 year ago
Hey, if the OG Avacyn costs $44, I'm more than willing to use this. Also, in low-powered this is much less oppressive than the actual angel. It's a lot less 'goodstuff' and I like the direction it asks you to go for: legendary is a nice theme.

So yeah, worse than Avacyn, but a nicer card because of it imo
I like this take.

I'm an entrenched player, and have multiple copies of OG Avacyn (including a Judge Foil) and I frequently forget that not everybody has been playing since forever and has almost complete access.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

It should've been generic colorless.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

I wish I had indestructible clay...

Gentle Giant
It's all jank, always has been

Post by Gentle Giant » 1 year ago

Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
Gentle Giant wrote:
1 year ago
Hey, if the OG Avacyn costs $44, I'm more than willing to use this. Also, in low-powered this is much less oppressive than the actual angel. It's a lot less 'goodstuff' and I like the direction it asks you to go for: legendary is a nice theme.

So yeah, worse than Avacyn, but a nicer card because of it imo
I like this take.

I'm an entrenched player, and have multiple copies of OG Avacyn (including a Judge Foil) and I frequently forget that not everybody has been playing since forever and has almost complete access.
Funny thing: I'm also an entrenched long-time player (though not as long as you :P). However, my budget-cap for a single card is around €3,- (higher and it's something I'll have to trade/sell for, and even at the €3,- mark I'll think about it a great deal). Still, similar to what @Mergatroid_Jones said in the singles vs. sealed topic: a lot of cards that started out cheap have spiked immensely. The obvious all-stars such as Avacyn however, I'd either have to had pulled them from a draft/prerelease, or traded for it (but as my post already implied, she's not a great fit for my intended play experience).

So yeah, these budget 'close-enough' cards are right up my alley :grin:
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Averna, Roulette Croupier: Cascade Chaos | Cascade, Chaos, Group Choices
The Ur-Dragon Tribal Tribal | Randomized Batches, Diverse, Quirky
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago

EDIT: I just read the flavor text. It's hilarious that it has indestructible despite being made of "wood, straw, twine, and clay." It does respect the oxford comma, so that's cool.
You laugh, but a decent number of ancient structures were built of mud and clay. Some of them are still around. Dunno about the long-term viability of straw or twine though, or the top heavy, narrow-based form of the statue itself.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Monday, June 27th, 2022; Consuming Tide

Good value I think.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I recently added Consuming Tide to one of my decks, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet, so I'm actually pretty curious how people feel about it. I'm currently pretty high on it - four mana to bounce most of the board and potentially draw some cards seems pretty good, particularly if you're playing a deck that is naturally light on board presence. The cheaper cost also makes it a bit cheaper to loop with Archaeomancer effects. That said, letting your opponents keep a thing can certainly be a downside if you want to bounce something in particular.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

When I get around to revising Oskar, Rubbish Reclaimer, I think I'll test this.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

It's a divine reckoning that draws 3 if you're behind. Not a bad card per se, but using things that shine brightest when you're losing is not typically where you wanna be. I'd rather play evacuation and have the board a bit more thoroughly swept.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
It's a divine reckoning that draws 3 if you're behind. Not a bad card per se, but using things that shine brightest when you're losing is not typically where you wanna be. I'd rather play evacuation and have the board a bit more thoroughly swept.
There's a big difference between all nonland permanents and all creatures, though.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

Consuming Tide is pretty good, especially in a deck without a lot of permanents so you can capitalize on the draw effect. I slotted it into my Niv deck because I wanted a wipe that left Niv on the field. So a wipe that draws cards, bounces nearly everything, and leaves your best thing on the field all for 4cmc is a win in my book. If you have Teferi's Ageless Insight in play you could be drawing quite a few cards from it. I guess its biggest drawback is that it's only sorcery speed.

When you compare all mass bounces spells to Cyclonic Rift everything is going to be found lacking, but for me it has been performing well enough to keep it in.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Consuming Tide is a card I turned my nose up at initially - it just seems bad compared to Evacuation and Cyclonic Rift (but as pointed out, everything looks like trash compared to Rift). But it has the advantage of being the only mass-wipe for 4 CMC in the color (barring Wash Out and Aetherize but they are arguably even more imprecise so I don't count them). I could see this being way better than I give it credit for in a variety of Voltron-y lists, and it's hugely punishing to token and go-wide lists and might even help you draw cards. Especially notable that I missed on first reading? This hits all non-land perms, which is actually sorta sick. Yeah, definitely need to grab a few copies.

hyalopterouslemur

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I mean, the point of wipes is to use them when you're losing.

The bad cards are the winmoars. Think cards like Epic Struggle: If you have that many creatures, you should win this turn anyway.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
There's a big difference between all nonland permanents and all creatures, though.
Okay, I misread it. A little better, a little worse. They still get to retain something that should otherwise be swept, and I dislike that. It makes possible a scenario in which one thing is killing you, and if this is the "answer" you topdeck, it can't save you.
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
1 year ago
I mean, the point of wipes is to use them when you're losing.

The bad cards are the winmoars. Think cards like Epic Struggle: If you have that many creatures, you should win this turn anyway.
Can't dispute your first point technically, but within the context of this particular card, I will get into semantics. If we need only need wipes when we're behind, then why wouldn't we prefer a more thorough boardwipe, say Flood of Tears? Or maybe Devastation Tide, which can be discounted? Or hell, how about River's Rebuke for that personal touch?

I'm just saying having them keep something is lame. "Maybe Draw 3" is not a shiny enough lure to accept a potential threefold failstate on my board wipes at least.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Sunday, June 26th, 2022; Avacyn's Memorial

Wow. I missed this spoiler.
Wait, that's it?
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Monday, June 27th, 2022; Consuming Tide

Good value I think.
Hmm. That'd probably the most value you can stick on a four cost wipe and still have it be fair.

Mookie

If we're talking about four mana blue wipes, I'll also call out Coastal Breach (assuming a four player game).

Speaking a bit more to my own context, the deck I added Consuming Tide to is my Mizzix of the Izmagnus deck - as a spell-based deck, it tends to be pretty light on board presence, so it doesn't have much stuff to bounce. However, the real reason that I added it is that as a combo deck, I've noticed that the number one thing it needs is time. If my opponents spend a turn or two rebuilding while I advance my plans and sculpting my hand, that's good enough for me. The fact that it can bounce enchantments (which the deck otherwise has difficulty dealing with) is also nice... although the fact that an opponent may choose to leave a Rule of Law effect on the board could definitely be awkward. On the flip side, a lot of my other blue decks are more controlling and would prefer to kill my opponents' stuff outright - if you're playing for the long game already, then a brief tempo gain from mass bounce matters a lot less.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Can't dispute your first point technically, but within the context of this particular card, I will get into semantics. If we need only need wipes when we're behind, then why wouldn't we prefer a more thorough boardwipe, say Flood of Tears? Or maybe Devastation Tide, which can be discounted? Or hell, how about River's Rebuke for that personal touch?

I'm just saying having them keep something is lame. "Maybe Draw 3" is not a shiny enough lure to accept a potential threefold failstate on my board wipes at least.
The difference between 4cmc and 5 or 6cmc is significant for me at least. I can bounce 90% of the board, draw a couple cards, and replay something or play something I just drew. That's part of what makes Blasphemous Act so dang good. Wiping the field for just R even though it's only creatures and it's a damage based wipe is still worth a slot just for the efficency.

If there is a truly problematic permanent on the field, i will usually just target that with one of my spot removals or outright counter it if it's really that problematic. For a board wipe, I am usually looking at a critical mass of permanents to clear and I want to do so as efficiently as possible. 10 low threat permanents working together vs 1 higher threat is sometimes worse.

I tend to see the fact that it misses a permanent for each player more of an upside. It definitely provokes less ire than Rift for that reason. Rift automatically makes you archenemy if it doesn't just win you the game.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Tuesday, June 28th, 2022; Robe of the Archmagi

Diviner's Wand eat your heart out.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

I run a wizard tribal deck, and despite this card being released a month ago, I already forgot about it. It should be a decent source of draw so long as your creatures have 2+ power, but how often is there a big wizard that wants to attack/has evasion? Adeliz, the Cinder Wind comes to mind, but not much else.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Slap this boy on a Taurean Mauler in a combat damage Changeling deck for the value! That's my dream but I haven't tested it because that's not what my list is trying to do.

Mookie

Blue obviously has a lot of options for card draw, but it's cool to see Robe of the Archmagi as a more aggressive option. Turning any creature into Cold-Eyed Selkie seems sweet, particularly if your creature is naturally large and evasive - I can see commanders like Arjun, the Shifting Flame and Niv-Mizzet, Parun greatly benefiting from it. Admittedly, most of the members of these tribes tend to be on the smaller side, but even throwing it on a 3-power creature turns it into a Concentrate with upside if you can connect at least once.

Anyway, I've been meaning to pick up a copy and test it in my Kess, Dissident Mage deck - it doesn't have any natural synergy with the commander, but efficient card draw is efficient card draw. Could also be an interesting option if you're running a Trophy Mage package. If your deck doesn't naturally have access to evasive members of these tribes, then I'll probably pass in favor of more direct blue card draw.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Seems good in Kels, Fight Fixer.

From a flavor perspective, the robe should give ward, since the Robe grants the wearer advantage on saving throws and improves their base AC, but meh.

hyalopterouslemur

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Slap this boy on a Taurean Mauler in a combat damage Changeling deck for the value! That's my dream but I haven't tested it because that's not what my list is trying to do.
Chameleon Colossus is also a good choice, and I would be remiss not to mention Prime Speaker Zegana or The Mimeoplasm.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”