[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Archfiend of Depravity

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I am not the biggest fan of the tracking and the negatives here. Just so wordy. If you're running tribal, and you're the chosen opponent, you're golden. Otherwise they could steal whatever. Got it.

I first encountered it in early EDH days, and that's where it stayed. Sower of Temptation replaced it for a while, but as the format shifted away from battlecruiser, we got away from SoT as well. If you threw a red mana on here instead of colorless and gave it haste, I'd run it in Nin in a heartbeat. Otherwise it's just nice to see that old border.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I just put Callous Oppressor into my Merieke Ri Berit deck, but it's now just a placeholder for the Secret Lair Empress Galina|71902, whenever that arrives.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

I've looked at Callous Oppressor before, but never played it.

I also had not thought about it with Mairsil, the Pretender on the mind before. As there is not a named type, that's an unbounded theft effect. Nifty.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 1 year ago

This really shouldn't be so obscure. anything that can steal something every turn is pretty awesome in the right deck. It's reasonably flexible, either steal something and keep this tapped to keep it, or steal something and sacrifice it for value, then repeat next turn (or with an untap). Generally it will steal almost everything, and its a neat choice trying to figure out which opponent you should choose to pick a creature type. Yeah, it's not game breaking and it is telegraphed, but it seems like an extremely solid value engine in the right deck.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

Friday, June 24th, 2022; Callous Oppressor
An ironic day for this to show up.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
You spelled "iconic" wrong.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
John the Baptist? Founding of Manila?

This card is good in Mairsil, the Pretender, but all that "opponents choose" and memory issues keep it out of the 99 in other decks.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

I love this type of effect, loved it since the early aughts. Unless you're way ahead there's probably someone willing to let you steal the best creature on the board, and it only costs 3. Extra good with a sac outlet.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Saturday, June 25th, 2022; Scourge of Kher Ridges

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

You know when you open a bunch of Future Sight, hoping to pull a Tarmogoyf? I always got this guy.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
You know when you open a bunch of Future Sight, hoping to pull a Tarmogoyf? I always got this guy.
You think you had it bad. I think I traded a goyf for one of them at the prerelease.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

There was a brief time, fairly early in the history of EDH, where this card was decent imo. Even with immediate competition at printing from Ryusei, the Falling Star and Bogardan Hellkite this was a big, splashy, powerful dargon with text that could take over the game and it was at least near-strictly better than Shivan Hellkite as far as a manasink machine gun for dragon decks.

Of course power creep happens, and these days I think it loses out as a mana-sink to Inferno of the Star Mounts and Moonveil Dragon and as "removal on a dragon stick" to Tyrant's Familiar, Balefire Dragon, Steel Hellkite, and Drakuseth, Maw of Flames. More broadly, the top-end of dragon decks now have mega-value bonanza dragons like Ancient Copper Dragon, Hellkite Tyrant, Utvara Hellkite, and Lathliss, Dragon Queen which make it tough to justify a slower engine like this one - I don't even run a lot of that so-called competition I just mentioned.

It still has a niche though - none of the above are a repeatable boardwipe that interacts well with Lifelink or Deathtouch. If you are running lots of ways to grant that effect, this is interesting. Also interesting to consider this in an Enrage deck; most enrage spam is dino tribal but Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients should probably consider this as a flavorful, casual budget replacement or redundancy effect for Pyrohemia .

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Scourge of Kher Ridges definitely seems like a victim of power creep. In a slower meta, I could see it being sweet - dumping mana into its Rough // Tumble abilities to control the board can dominate a game while you beat opponents down with a large flier. However, these days, I don't see a reason to run it - eight mana is a ton, and I also have concerns about spending 6+ mana to wipe the board instead of spending it on something more proactive. There are just too many more efficient dragons available these days.

...still, an upgrade over Roc of Kher Ridges.

3drinks

I still play it in Kaalia of the Vast all these years latre. Still hasn't been strictly outclassed for that at-will pyroclasm. In such context, I still favour it - though not strictly so - over Balefire Dragon in most use-cases.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

6/6 for 8 is bad. That said, I can see the value of its abilities in a deck like Kaalia where all your creatures are going to have flying. And that mana cost is largely irrelevant.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

I did once try Wasitora, Nekoru Queen as a commander and built the deck around removals on a body like this guy, Visara the Dreadful, and Polukranos, World Eater so that people would not have sac fodder getting in the way of my precious Cat Dragon tokens. All the mana doublers in the world could not make that card or anything in that deck any less unwieldy (albeit still kinda funny when it managed to do things). Alas, this card is very much a relic of the times where all dragon cards were terrible.

3drinks

Sunday, June 26th, 2022; Avacyn's Memorial

Wow. I missed this spoiler.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

I have yet to see anyone play Avacyn's Memorial. White seems better at "just play Avacyn". I suppose there's a boros artifact-themed deck that wants this out there, where they have access to Goblin Welder or Trash for Treasure before creature reanimates, but I don't know if I want to run both.

This card just feels weak for cost, and I don't really know what deck wants to run it.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

What if we took Avacyn, Angel of Hope, one of the splashiest white finishers, and:
  • Made it unable to attack / block
  • Made the indestructible effect only apply to legends, instead of everything
  • Made it harder to cheat out / reanimate
  • Remove any angel tribal synergies
So... yeah. I would say that Avacyn's Memorial is a pretty significant downgrade... which is a pity, given that Akroma's Memorial is a pretty sweet sidegrade/upgrade over Akroma, Angel of Wrath. There might be some niche cases where you prefer the Memorial due to artifact synergies, but even then, you still need a very high density of legendary cards to justify running it over the original Avacyn.

Serenade
UnderKing

There is the monetary value. AAOH could have used a reprint.

onering

Post by onering » 1 year ago

Wow that sucks.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

As others have said, this is almost always just worse than Avacyn. I play it in a legendary dragons only deck, where an angel wouldn't make the cut. I have also considered it as a swap over Avacyn to intentionally de-powered a deck. I can not think of another use case beyond theme and power limitations.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Avacyn's Memorial clearly sucks, but at what cost would this have been playable? At what cost would it have been good but not too good? Finally, at what cost would it have been busted in the right deck?

EDIT: I just read the flavor text. It's hilarious that it has indestructible despite being made of "wood, straw, twine, and clay." It does respect the oxford comma, so that's cool.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

If this was like 4 maybe 5 mana it would be playable. You could have your commander survive various wraths that white plays. Compare it to Bastion Protector which kinda does the same thing but also gives stats and costs 3 mana.

Gentle Giant
It's all jank, always has been

Post by Gentle Giant » 1 year ago

Hey, if the OG Avacyn costs $44, I'm more than willing to use this. Also, in low-powered this is much less oppressive than the actual angel. It's a lot less 'goodstuff' and I like the direction it asks you to go for: legendary is a nice theme.

So yeah, worse than Avacyn, but a nicer card because of it imo
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Averna, Roulette Croupier: Cascade Chaos | Cascade, Chaos, Group Choices
The Ur-Dragon Tribal Tribal | Randomized Batches, Diverse, Quirky
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”