Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Thursday, January 19th, 2023; Eye of the Storm

Anyone ever stuck a Ravages of War|j15 on this thing? ;)

"Beast. Defiler. The source of all my pain." - Ihsan's Shade Players expressing their feelings playing this card.
Do you want a game to take an extra hour while you flex how well you know stack based rules? Do I have the card for you!
"At least it's not Grip of Chaos"?
Please, I built a deck whose entire purpose was to loop Warp World until I had my entire deck on the battlefield and my opponents had nuthin'.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
Please, I built a deck whose entire purpose was to loop Warp World until I had my entire deck on the battlefield and my opponents had nuthin'.
Amateur. I built a deck way back in the days of 60 card casual that used infinite mana, infinite card draw, and infinite recursion of Research // Development to play every card in my entire collection. That's S-tier asshattery.

Just... don't waste my brief life on this hell planet playing cards like Eye of the Storm, Thieves' Auction, and Warp World. Please. Armageddon me, Thassa's Oracle me, Mindslaver me, whatever, just get on with it.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
Amateur. I built a deck way back in the days of 60 card casual that used infinite mana, infinite card draw, and infinite recursion of Research // Development to play every card in my entire collection. That's S-tier asshattery.

Just... don't waste my brief life on this hell planet playing cards like Eye of the Storm, Thieves' Auction, and Warp World. Please. Armageddon me, Thassa's Oracle me, Mindslaver me, whatever, just get on with it.
An old play group I had decided to try legalizing Un-cards for a while, I brewed a deck that used infinite mana + infinite recursion to cast Double Take + Double Play infinite times to win every game ever.

The deck wasn't very good, so by the time I finally pulled it off, the group agreed we had enough fun with UN shenanIgans and decided this was a good way to cap it off.

Therefore, I am the Immortal God of the Un-format in my old group.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 year ago

I love Grip of Chaos! But yes, it can make resolving spells stupid, especially when it's any permanent.
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
"At least it's not Grip of Chaos"?
Speaking of synergy pieces, curving Grip of Chaos into Eye of the Storm is a fantastic way to get an immediate table wide concession.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

One of the least pleasant games I have ever been involved in featured Grip of Chaos, a Hive Mind-ed Eternal Dominion, and Confusion in the Ranks. It ground to a screeching halt in roughly two turn cycles. I've had plenty of games be called a draw due to time constraints / people needing to leave, but I think that's the only game I've been in that was a draw due to sheer turn length.

Anyway, Eye of the Storm is nonsense. It's a symmetric effect, so you'll want to either have Drannith Magistrate or some other way to make it asymmetric... or just win the turn you play it with Turnabout and some card draw. Otherwise, it tends to backfire spectacularly, as explosive chaos cards tend to do. I group it in my 'DO NOT TOUCH - EXTREMELY VOLATILE EXPLOSIVES' bucket, alongside stuff like Timesifter and Thieves' Auction.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Eye of the Storm is a poor design for commander
It is either way too chaos-inducing and drags out the game for too long
Or
It is a combo piece that locks out your opponents from casting spells

So no thanks
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

This is one of those cards where it's fun in your imagination but you should never, ever play it.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 1 year ago

I really don't understand why Panoptic Mirror still hangs out on the banned list when there's infinitely more degenerate cards in the same vein like this, Arcane Bombardment, Thousand-Year Storm, and so forth.

In any deck worth its salt, Eye says "I win this turn but it'll take 20 minutes to get there".

DirkGently

@wildfire393 well, mirror does go infinite more easily, given that it's a 2-card infinite with a wide swath of other cards. Putting an extra turn on this is pretty dangerous since someone else could steal your infinite from you, plus you need to keep casting spells (not that it would be difficult for a deck running this card, but it is a deckbuilding limitation).

That said, I agree that mirror is overall less annoying than cards like this are - eye takes way longer to confirm a win, it can create some really horrendously complex game states very quickly, it can kingmake when put into the wrong deck, and most importantly it "looks fun" when it's really really not.

I think mirror was banned earlier in the format when combo panic was more of a thing - see the painter/grindstone ban. These days, while I could see mirror being annoying, it's no worse than plenty of legal cards like eye.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Thursday, January 19th, 2023; Eye of the Storm

Anyone ever stuck a Ravages of War|j15 on this thing? ;)

"Beast. Defiler. The source of all my pain." - Ihsan's Shade Players expressing their feelings interacting with this card.
This is one of those cool idiosyncratic cards that inevitably gets its controller killed or throws the entire game totally out of whack. That being said, I think it's more interesting than Thousand-Year Storm as far as high CMC spellslinger enchantments go.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

One time, I played Eye of the Storm as Zedruu against Jori En, Ruin Diver spellslinger and two opponents who didn't matter. I flashed this in on the end step before my turn with everyone mostly tapped out, on my turn I put in Turnabout, and then the Jori En player had a 1-mana cantrip to build off of my Turnabout.

We started that game in the roughly hour and a half between classes at college. The other two players left 15 minutes into that turn to go to class, and when they came back after class it was still the same game, maybe even the same turn, I forget... One of the top 5 games of Magic I've ever played.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

wildfire393 wrote:
1 year ago
I really don't understand why Panoptic Mirror still hangs out on the banned list when there's infinitely more degenerate cards in the same vein like this, Arcane Bombardment, Thousand-Year Storm, and so forth.

In any deck worth its salt, Eye says "I win this turn but it'll take 20 minutes to get there".
If Mirror was legal, as a new commander player I totally would have found it, and imprinted Plague Wind on it, and ruined quite a number of games before I realized that it was unfun garbage that had to come out of my deck. I think Eye of the Storm is actually less egregious just because it's easier to underestimate how utterly miserable Mirror would be to play against. Remember, it's not just power level that gets things banned -- the worst cases are when something looks like a fun time to casual players deckbuilding, and then just randomly ruins games. If you put Eye of the Storm, or Thousand-Year Storm, in your deck, you almost certainly know what you're doing. If you keep them in your deck after they do something for the first time, you definitely know what you're doing. If you put Panoptic Mirror in your deck, you might think you're just playing a fun cool card, and only realize after the fact that it creates functional stax locks against opposing casual creature decks without even trying, and since, unlike Eye, it can't backfire, there could easily be players who just don't recognize the horrible things it's doing to the game state because those things aren't happening to them. I'm reminded of the people who had to be actively, heavily pressured out of playing Iona, Shield of Emeria in casual decks because they thought (for some unknowable reason) that it was just a big cool angel timmy card, even after it had locked other people out of playing the game multiple times. Yes, those people existed, and I'm just so relieved that I'll never have to have that ridiculous conversation ever again whenever I think about it.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Fun card...In moderation of course.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Friday, January 20th, 2023; Parallax Tide

Well then.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

onering

Post by onering » 1 year ago

Honestly, not unfair. Exile 5 lands for 4 mana can be backbreaking if aimed at a single opponent, but it's a great way to remove a slew of powerful lands from around the table. Take out someone's Cradle, another players Coffers, someone else's Volrath's Stronghold, and use the other two counters to slow down whoever ramped most.

It can definitely screw people in an unfun way, but it can also just do good value work by taking out a handful of lands that need answering while spreading the pain over multiple people so being on the receiving end doesn't feel like much more than getting Strip Mined. And it's a more effective answers to ramp than most MLD because you can just target all 5 triggers at the dude who spent his first few turns ramping out 5 extra lands.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

I should probably consider Parallax Tide more than I do, for (as pointed out) its ability to take out multiple problem lands long enough to matter.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

A potent stax effect alongside Brago, King Eternal that can really slow down an opponent or two, but this is generally too weak outside of a deck specifically doing something like that. Of this old pseudo-cycle, only Parallax Wave is an underrated gem outside of flicker.dec. This is stronger and better than Parallax Nexus but still very niche unless you're finding a way to loop or re-charge it to lock folks down.

DirkGently

@onering You do know that using all 5 counters will mean they're only gone for one turn, right?

Granted, you can circumvent the downside by Disenchanting it, or some other instant-speed way to remove it from play. Activate it 5 times, destroy it, let the trigger happen and return nothing, then let the activations resolve and exile 5 lands permanently. Even more evil if you can blink it instead of destroy it, and then do it again.

Anyway, not a card that gets played much since its utility diminishes greatly in multiplayer and it really wants another card to combo it into permanent removal. I could see removing 3 lands for a couple turns being decent in the right meta (presumably a fast one, where a few turns makes a big difference), but when you're paying 4 for it, meh. You're spending more mana than you're depriving from your opponents, on average.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Feels like a card that would only get played to get abused.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Far more obnoxious in regular Magic than EDH. Still really sucks to be the player being hit by this card though.

onering

Post by onering » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
@onering You do know that using all 5 counters will mean they're only gone for one turn, right?

Granted, you can circumvent the downside by Disenchanting it, or some other instant-speed way to remove it from play. Activate it 5 times, destroy it, let the trigger happen and return nothing, then let the activations resolve and exile 5 lands permanently. Even more evil if you can blink it instead of destroy it, and then do it again.

Anyway, not a card that gets played much since its utility diminishes greatly in multiplayer and it really wants another card to combo it into permanent removal. I could see removing 3 lands for a couple turns being decent in the right meta (presumably a fast one, where a few turns makes a big difference), but when you're paying 4 for it, meh. You're spending more mana than you're depriving from your opponents, on average.
Well, yeah, but I don't see many people using it without a way to make it permanent. There's plenty of ways to sacrifice, blink, destroy it, exile it, or return it to your hand.

DirkGently

onering wrote:
1 year ago
Well, yeah, but I don't see many people using it without a way to make it permanent. There's plenty of ways to sacrifice, blink, destroy it, exile it, or return it to your hand.
Well, you did say "for 4 mana", most of those things would require extra mana, and often an extra card.

Very few good sac outlets for enchantments tbh, especially in blue. I mean they do exist but I don't think many decks would want to run Auratog or whatever.

Flickering it is obviously the strongest option, though there aren't a lot of those around. Flicker of Fate, Teferi's Time Twist...must be others somewhere?

Feels like a card without a home to me. Even in Brago, it's basically an o-ring for 4 lands for 4. With 3 opponents that's really not that exciting, and ofc it has the o-ring risk of getting blown up, or brago getting killed (as he often is, and should rightfully be) and it expiring. I don't think many brago decks would be so interested in LD that they'd care to run this tbh.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Saturday, Januaary 21st, 2023; Domri, Anarch of Bolas|sld

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

I am not keen on planeswalkers in most decks, but this is something I feel like I would play. Cheap enough on mana value that I won't feel bad if it does in one turn, and both abilities are useful in any creature deck with Gruul colours.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”