[OAO] OneAndOnly's Custom Card Thread

OneAndOnly
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

I'm going to use this thread to collate all the cards I post online in this forum. Many come from the card contest threads. I'll often supplement those with additional cards that explore the same themes or mechanics.

Since I've got a mind toward creating my own set eventually, I may change the names and flavor text to create a seamless millieu.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

I'm going to collate different mechanics here, for ease of reference.
First, keywording some fairly common abilities. WotC's current stance still seems to be not to keyword drawbacks, but I'm a sucker for it.
Simple -- (This creature's abilities can only be activated or triggered once each turn.)
Looking to refine this just a touch, to make it less ambiguous whether each ability is limited to once a turn, or all abilities are limited to only one of them being able to be activated or triggered.
Centered -- (This creature's abilities can only target permanents or cards its controller controls.)
The wording here could be expanded a little -- it should include things like tokens, copies of spells, emblems, and so on. "Objects," which I believe is the correct MtG term, sounds clinical and unflavorful.

Vaporize -- (If this would be put into the graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.)
This ability gets used quite a bit -- red burns things to a crisp, white damns things so they don't come back, and some spells are so epic they can never be cast again. This means the flavor on them needs to be a bit wide -- not vague, just open to interpreting several ways.
Diminished -- (This creatures base power and toughness are 1/1.)
This is an interesting one. As an effect of a spell or ability, it's got shades of Humility or Pongify. As a combat ability, it becomes a deathtouch variant, since presumably there'll be a point or two of damage being inflicted in there as well.
Inviolate - (This creature can't be sacrificed)
An inevitable counterpart to indestructible. Currently it's a very rare ability. On your own creatures, it safeguards them from Diabolic Edict, Innocent Blood and the like. On your opponents' creatures, it prevents Aristocrats shenanigans.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Auras have a great history in the game, but also have a danger of being two-for-oned. (When Player A casts an Aura targeting her own creature, Player B plays some sort of removal on that creature, costing both the creature and the Aura -- a two-for-one.) Wizards has sometimes played around with abilities that play friendly with Auras, most recently with totem armor. But those are abilities on Aura cards, not on their targets. So here are my attempts at making some Aura-friendly abilities!

Bewitched -- (Auras you control targeting this creature have split second.)
I'm not a big fan of cross-referential abilities. But split second works better here than "can't be countered," and spelling out the intricacies of split second is, uhhh, intricate. So I'm going to leave this like this.

Devoted -- (As this permanent leaves the battlefield, you may move any Auras on it onto another legal permanent / permanent with devoted.)
This one feels a little clunky. It has to be "as," because if it's a triggered ability ("when...") the Auras will already be in the graveyard. The "may move" language is a little vague; is it one decision made for all Auras, or do you get to decide for each Aura? I'd prefer the latter. Thank goodness reminder text is allowed to be less precise. I prefer "move" over "return" since the Auras may not have started there, but that's a language tweak Wizards may be some time from adopting. (First they need to clear up "You may cast" and "Until end of turn, you may cast".) And lastly, there's the language of what a "legal permanent" is. I don't think Wizards has improved on this tech, however.

As for the name -- I was looking for something that suggested a shared system of beliefs among the enchanted (which is why the Auras would move so easily). It also suggests that you're devoted to keeping the Auras around! "Devoted" is a little close to "devotion" but I think it occupies a signifantly different playing space that players might overlook it.

But does limiting the Aura-sharing to only other permanents with devoted make things easier or more difficult? In development, we could limit which permanents are allowed to have devoted (so no putting a Hold For Ransom on a Halo Fountain).

Beatific -- (As this permanent leaves the battlefield, you may move any Auras on it to their owner's hand.)
Variant of the above.

Ensorcelled -- (Auras targeting this spell cost 1 less for each other Aura enchanting it.)
This could possibly take a qualifier, but reducing colored mana costs could get dangerous.

Wombat Umbra -- (This creature gets +1/+1 for each Aura attached to it.)
Or should it be, "Auras enchanting this creature gain 'Enchanted creature gets +1/+1' "? ;P

OneAndOnly

Assimilate -- (At all times, this creature has all creature types of other creatures you control.)
Changeling's little brother. It still fits in with other Tribal decks, but is less open to disruption from your opponents. (AKA, no random Tivadar of Thorn to trip you up ... unless you really are playing Goblins.)

I'm not quite set on the name. "Assimilate" has some weird connotations -- from the Borg Collective to the sociology of immigration. "Disguise," perhaps? "Blend in"? "Brotherhood" feels right, except its gendered-ness. "Family"?

OneAndOnly

Active is one of those collective words (like party, historic, etc.) Creatures that have attacked, blocked, or had an activated or triggered ability of theirs played this turn are considered active. This includes creatures that have vigilance, or don't tap to use an ability, or tapped and then became untapped. Yes, it's a bit of a memory hog. Most of the cards that reference this status are sorceries, to hopefully cut down on shenanigans.

Some cards may reference a creature "becoming active" -- essentially, doing one of the four aforementioned things.
Fall Aslumber -- 2UU
Sorcery
Tap all active creatures. (A creature is active if it attacked, blocked, or had an activated or triggered ability played this turn.) Each creature tapped this way doesn't untap during their controller's next untap step unless their controller pays 1.
Tormented Dreams -- 3BB
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player sacrifices an active creature.
Sacrifice Tormented Dreams: Whenever a creature becomes active this turn, put a -1/-1 counter on it.

I made a silly ability for one of the card contests recently, about crazy cat ladies. Some cat ladies are crazy, and others are cuh-razy, but only a few are actually crazy, if you know what I mean.

What does "actually crazy" mean in MtG terms? What I came up with: "You are actually crazy if you drew a card, cast a card, and discarded a card this turn."
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

OneAndOnly

So I threw three new keywords onto a card in Nexus today, without offering any description of what those keyword actions would do. It made for a card with an incredibly long name, and incredibly short rules text!
All three are red abilities, so they need to do classically red (mono-red) things. I gave them all a modifying numerical value, so that would also need to be taken into consideration when designing the actual ability. I put them onto a Saga, trying for a feeling of "chaos keeps increasing" and "countdown to oblivion." Despite that, I didn't want anything that would read as too win-the-game-immediately. And, like many Sagas, I want one level to build off the next.

Here they are, spelled out:

Detonate X: (Destroy target artifact with mana value X or less. Its controller may deal X damage to any target.)
The interesting bit here is that the controller of the artifact gets to choose. So its essentially sacrifice an artifact to deal damage, or destroy an opponent's artifact, but possibly face some consequence.

Erupt X: (Tap X target lands. For each land that becomes tapped this way, its controller may have it deal one damage to any target. Those lands don't untap during its controller's next untap step.)
Red is often known for land destruction; detaining lands reads as a sort of soft land destruction. Here it doesn't even necessarily deprive the land's controller of mana, because it offers a choice -- tap the land for mana, or let it get tapped this way to deal some minor damage. I figure when a land suddenly erupts into a volcano, some mages would be able to harness that energy and channel that destructive power.

Conflagrate X: (The next time a source you control would deal damage this turn, it deals that much damage plus X instead.)
This is a nice little rider for some spells. It ties in nicely with the previous ability, because keeping your opponent's lands tapped down means their lss likely to be able to counter that Lightning Bolt, summon a creature to block your big guy, or do something to prevent damage.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

OneAndOnly

A simple cycle:

Curcolori Swordmaster -- 1W
Creature - Human Soldier
1: Change a counter on target creature you control to a first strike counter.
2/1

Curcolori Aerialist -- 1U
Creature - Human Sage
1: Change a counter on target creature you control to a flying counter.
1/1

Curcolori Venomancer -- 1B
Creature - Human Assassin
1: Change a counter on target creature you control to a deathtouch counter.
1/1

Curcolori Athlete -- 1R
Creature - Human Barbarian
1: Change a counter on target creature you control to a haste counter.
3/1

Curcolori Archer -- 1G
Creature - Human Archer
1: Change a counter on target creature you control to a reach counter.
1/3

I like counters, and I think ability counters open up a lot of design space. I've done "X counter counts as a +1/+1 counter" on creatures before. I like the idea of being able to change counter types, presumably from the very common +1/+1 counters to something specific to each color. I think it needs to be a one-way transition; being able to transform counters back to +1/+1 counters (or other things) gives it too much utility.

In addition to +1/+1 counters, you also have stun counters, shield counters, fading/vanishing counters, age counters, and many others. I'm not aiming to make a specific combo between any of them, just the nifty function of turning something that may be a drawback into a positive.

In developing this, I'd look at dialing in the cost -- haste is probably the 'cheapest,' in that it really only functions for one turn; deathtouch perhaps the most expensive. I'd look at whether these abilities should be limited to once per turn (perhaps through the Simple keyword ability, above), or switch up the cost to activate.

Here's a continuation of the cycle:

Curcolori Duelist -- 1WW
Creature - Human Soldier
{W}. {T}: Change a first strike counter on target creature into a doublestrike counter.
2/3

Curcolori Intruder -- 1UU
Creature - Human Wizard
{U}, {T}: Change a flying counter on target creature into an unblockability counter.
1/4

Curcolori Thaumaturge -- 1BB
Creature - Human Warlock
{B}, {T}: Change a deathtouch counter on target creature into a corruption counter.
3/2

Curcolori Savage -- 1RR
{R}, {T}: Change a haste counter on target creature into a fury counter.
4/1

Curcolori Ensnarer -- 1GG
Creature - Human Archer
{G}, {T}: Change a reach counter on target creature into a snare counter.
2/3

Deathtouch, haste, and reach were hard to "level up," so I created three new abilities for them. They're mostly just recycled mechanics, however.

Corruption -- (Whenever a creature dies, if this creature damaged that creature, you may exile that creature.)
This is kind of a "side-grade" from deathtouch; it's okay on its own but better to be paired with deathtouch, rather than replace it.

Fury -- (This creature gets +1/-1. This effect can't reduce its toughness to less than 1. Spend 1 at any time to remove this counter.)
Fury is meant to invoke flowstone-style effects, The "can't be reduced to less than 1" owes itself to Blood Lust, and the "spend 1" is similar to Licids and morph. Whew!

Snare -- "Whenever this creature blocks another creature, tap that creature. If it's already tapped, put a stun counter on it."
Since reach is already a defensive mechanic (expanding what the creature with reach can block), it makes sense that an upgrade would improve what happens when it blocks. Green has plenty of other options, including basilisk abilities, or lure, or super-trample.

OneAndOnly

Part of developing as a custom card creator is hitting all of the "usual" things -- putting your own spin on Magic's inherent tropes. Here's my spin on morph.

Polymorph -- (You may cast this face down as a copy of a creature you control. Turn it face up at any time for its own polymorph cost.)

Part of my dislike for morph is the uniformity of the creatures it created. I know, I know, that was part of the allure; that a generic 2/2 could turn into a this or a that -- but the original set of morphs were all fairly similarly, or hit some standard expectations (my morph blob turns into something that flies! my morph blob turns into something huge! etc.)

The facedown morph''s fairly weak stats also meant that they were easy to get zapped, especially if you had enough mana to 3hrow them down onto the table, but enough to flip 'em over.

I like manifest a lot more -- partly because by making it an external effect (rather than intrinsic to the card it's on) it allows for a far greater variety of gameplay. It also feels like something one card can use to provide a benefit for its caster, while another is used to neutralize a threat, and so on.

But: Polymorph. Right, I get it, it's not Polymorph, which doesn't seem to be an effect anyone wants to show up in huge quantities. But polymorph gets around the "generic" feeling of morph and manifest; it allows you to copy a creature you already control. That might at seem feel rather dangerous -- it allows you to duplicate ETB effects by effectively cloning that creature over and over. In actuality, it scales with the quality of creatures you have on board; spamming a 1MV creature won't be terribly advantageous. Unless you build your deck just right...

As it copies the creature, it copies its mana cost, too, so you might be stuck on a board with just one small guy .., or, for that matter, one huge creature that isn't as easy to copy. The "unmorph" special action is the same as the morph ability, and can be done at any time the original morph action can be done. This allows for a lot of clever gameplay -- depending, again, on your skill!

Flavorwise, I'm still looking for a good "fit." MtG already has Evil Twins and Doppelgangers and Clones. Nothing has staked out "copycat" or "wannabe" yet, but those both sound rather amateurish and one-of, rather than something that's a whole race or culture or civilization.

OneAndOnly

Kotopor, the Eastern Gale -- 3UUU
Legendary Creature - Djinn {R}
Trample
Whenever Kotopor, the Eastern Wind deals excess damage, tap or untap that many target permanents.
4/6

Blue doesn't get trample often, but sometimes it's necessary for a mechanic to work. Djinn's usually fly ... but sometimes it's necessary to make a mechanic work!

OneAndOnly

Devoid was an interesting mechanic, but I thought it was implemented one-dimensionally - it simply made cards that would normally have a color be colorless.. it wasn't treated as something that could be inflicted on another card (a la Moonlace or Aisling Leprechaun) or happen conditionally.

So I came up with the following version:
Pale (This card is colorless if C was spent to cast it.)

I like it better than devoid on spells, because it gives you the option to make it colorless or not depending on your opponent's strategy. It's a little less confusing to figure out the color identity for Commander.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

OneAndOnly

Fiery Determination - R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
R: Enchanted creature gets+1/+0 until end of turn. Then, if enchanted creature doesn't have the highest power among creatures, Fiery Drtermination deals 1 damage to it.

OneAndOnly

As you can probably tell from simple and centered, I'm okay with dealing with limitations on cards. Recent cards feature "This ability can only trigger once each turn," but there are some other interesting alternatives out there.

Besra Torchbearer -- 1W
Creature - Human Citizen
1W: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Only activate this ability is Besra Torchbearer is untapped.
1/1
Corysol's Seer -- 1U
Creature - Human Wizard
1U: Draw a card if you haven't drawn a card this turn.
1/1

(Note the difference in wording; it's essential!)
Yucthol's Blightspeaker -- 1B
Creature - Thrull Shaman
1B: Target attacking creature gains deathtouch until end of turn. Only activate this ability if Yucthol's Blightspeaker did not attack this turn.
1/1

More to come, maybe.

OneAndOnly

I'm not a big fan of squad, for some reason -- maybe it's the high proliferation of creature tokens in the past few years. (Pun very much intended, thankyou.) Maybe it's that the mechanic appeared in the Warhammer 40K set, and I'm not a big fan of Universe Beyond / "Let's weaken the IP!" in MtG. But this card came to me, and it'd be lost without the mechanic.

Hrakka War-Party -- R
Squad 2 (As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay 2 any number of times. When this creature enters the battlefield, create that many token copies of it.)
When Hrakka War-Party enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to target creature with the highest mana value.
1/1

OneAndOnly

Back on the old Magic the Gathering Boards (when they were hosted by Wizards themselves), there was a user, Ephemeron, who would create ... interesting cards.

Ephemeron, Noddegamra, tyranno6 -- I miss you.

Inverted Ritual -- BBB
Instant
Add B.

OneAndOnly

Modified from Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty is a great addition to MtG. As a batching mechanic, I think it fits better than, say, Party (since many D&D adventures include, and sometimes rely on, the presence of character types other than Fighter, Thief, Cleric and Wizard) -- but I also feel K:ND didn't do that much with it. And, since we've had a glut of new products lately, it doesn't feel like there's going to be much more done with it in the near-future.
Fight Fair -- (R/G)W
Instant
Unmodify target attacking creature. (Exile all Auras, Equipment, and counters on it.)

OneAndOnly

Inspired by someone else's submission in the DCC thread:

Yucthol's Research - bbbb
Enchantment
When Yucthol's Research enters the battlefield, your life total becomes one.
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw cards equal to your life total.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

OneAndOnly

Zoologist's Urge -- 2UG
Sorcery
Reveal cards from the top of target opponent's library until you reveal a creature card. Create a token cpoy of that card, then put all cards revealed this way on the bottom of that player's library in a random order.
Arwind's catalogue of the wildlife of Fenreia was hardly exhaustive, but it was the only resource Souya had.

OneAndOnly

I have this mini-theme going in the DCC, and thought I'd gather the cards submitted so far here. The funny thing is, the first one had overload, and I forgot about that for the others. ::P And then, on the latest one, I decided to make it Tribal (a mechanic that might as well be retconned out of the game.)

Grim Pallor -- B
Instant
Target creature controlled by an opponent gets -1/-1 until end of turn. If it's tapped, put a -1/-1 counter on it instead.
Overload 2BB
Cielissa's Soothing Touch -- 1W
Instant
Prevent all damage a source of your choice would deal to target creature this turn. If that creature is tapped, gain that much life.
Disfunction - 1R
Instant
Destroy target artifact. If that artifact is tapped, you may also counter target activated or triggered ability of that artifact.
Buccaneer's Reel -- 1U
Tribal Instant - Pirate
Return target creature to its owner's hand. If that creature is tapped, you may move a counter or Aura from it to another target creature.
Turn the Blade -- 1W
Instant
Prevent all damage a source of your choice would deal to target creature this turn. If that creature is tapped, that damage is dealt to another target creature instead.

OneAndOnly

Another concept that hasn't been explored much in MtG. Yeah, memory issues.

Respect for the Elders -- 2G
Instant
The first creature to have entered the battlefield this game gets +3/+3 until end of turn; the second gets +2/+2; and the third gets +1/+1.

Imitate the Progenitor -- 2U
Sorcery
Create a token copy of the first creature to have entered the battlefield this game.

Darfin's Dark Findings -- 1UR
Sorcery
Cast a copy of the first instant or sorcery to have been played this game. You may cast it without paying its mana cost.

tar-Naada's Ruins
Legendary Land
T: Add one mana of the first color to be added this game.

OneAndOnly

Cielissa, Heart-Healer -- 1WW
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric
Whenever you cast a white spell, prevent the next X damage that would be dealt to Cielissa this turn, where X is that spell's mana value.
2/3
Kalla, Grace of Gavagan -- 1WW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
First strike
If Kalla would deal an odd amount of damage, she deals that much damage plus one instead.
If Kalla would be dealt an even amount of damage, that source deals that much damage minus one instead.
2/3

OneAndOnly

Group hug ramp spells?

Snickering Familiar -- 2B
Creature - Homunculus
T: Each player adds B. Whenever another player spends this mana, that player loses one life.
1/1
Feast For Fall -- W
Instant
Each player adds WWW. When this mana is spent to cast a spell, prevent all damage that spell would deal. When this mana is spent to cast a creature spell, that creature enters the battlefield with a defender counter on it.
Ember Ritual -- R
Instant
Each player adds RRR. When this mana is spent to cast a spell, that spell deals damage equal to its mana cost to its controller.
Rippling Cascade -- U
Instant
Each player adds UUU. Whenever an opponent spends this mana to cast an instant or sorcery, you may pay UU.
If you do, copy that spell.

OneAndOnly

Throwbacks to Alpha trinkets:
Alabaster Spire Sage -- 1WU
Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever you draw a card, gain X life, where X is the number of cards in your hand minus four.
1/3
Coal Scuttle Blightmage -- 1UBB
Creature - Troll Warlock
Whenever an opponent draws a card, they lose X life, where X is the number of cards in their hand minus four.
3/2

OneAndOnly

Prophecy played with a "tap out" theme; wondering if might be viable to re-work this into punishing your opponents for tapping out.

Depleted Mine
Land
T: Add C. If each land controlled by an opponent is tapped, add one mana of any color instead.
I think there's a bit of conversation to be had about whether an opponent with no lands meets to condition to lessen its strength T1.
Wander in the Wastes -- U
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't be blocked as long as defending player controls no untapped lands.
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, tap target land that player controls.
Despoil -- 1WR
Sorcery
Choose target land. Tap that land if it's untapped; otherwise destroy it.

OneAndOnly

Expanding on an idea from a recent thread:

Pavilion Wall Guardian -- WW
Creature - Human Soldier
Pavilion Wall Guardian enters the battlefield with a first strike counter.
Whenever Pavilion Wall Guardian deals combat damage, you may change all counters on it into +1/+1 counters.
2/2
Roc's-Claw Initiate -- 1U
Creature - Human Wizard
Roc's-Claw Initiate enters the battlefield with a vigilance counter.
Whenever Roc's-Claw Initiate deals combat damage, you may change all counters on it into +1/+1 counters.
1/3
Cobra-Fang Apprentice -- 1B
Creature - Snake Assassin
Cobra-Fang Apprentice enters the battlefield with a deathtouch counter.
Whenever Cobra-Fang Assassin deals combat damage to a creature, you may change all counters on it into +1/+1 counters.
1/3
Flaming-Torch Apprentice -- R
Creature - Goblin Warrior
Flaming-Torch Apprentice enters the battlefield with a haste counter.
Whenever Flaming-Torch Apprentice deals combat damage to a player, you may change all counters on it into +1/+1 counters.
1/1
Deepglen Protector -- 1GG
Creature - Treefolk
Deepglen Protector enters the battlefield with three defender counters.
Whenever Deepglen Protector deals combat damage, you may change all counters on it into +1/+1 counters.
3/3

OneAndOnly

Rakdos Emancipator -- 1RG
Creature - Orc Shaman
Whenever a creature becomes enchanted or equipped, Rakdos Emancipator fights that creature, then unattach that Aura or Equipment.
"Stop! Do not lessen yourself by submitting to the unnatural!"
3/2

It fits within the "act natural" aspect of both red and green but ends up feeling very white/black, due to its control / hatebear nature.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”