The CCL Discussion Thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Even if you didn't enter the May CCL Round 1 there's still over a day left to enter Round 2! All it takes is one good entry to move on to the elimination rounds!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

@barbecube and @RaikouRider just a heads up that both of your entries in the April CCL currently don't satisfy the challenge!

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 1 year ago

Thanks for catching that! It's a transcription error, the card image is right, but now the text version is also correct.
formerly willows

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Putting out the call for a CCL host for June.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
If a form of referring to blocking as a game concept was missed in the letter of the challenge, you can use that form.
Just to make sure, does that include "blocked"?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
If a form of referring to blocking as a game concept was missed in the letter of the challenge, you can use that form.
Just to make sure, does that include "blocked"?
Yup! "Blocked" is also fine.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

April's final poll remains open, and June's round 1 is still very much open for entries!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congrats once again to April CCL winner @slimytrout!

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 1 year ago

I can't help but feel the lack of entries in this month's CCL was due to the difficulty of the prompt. A well-run theme should have increasingly difficult prompts every round. Not to overly criticize the work organizers have done - just making an observation.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

RaikouRider wrote:
1 year ago
I can't help but feel the lack of entries in this month's CCL was due to the difficulty of the prompt. A well-run theme should have increasingly difficult prompts every round. Not to overly criticize the work organizers have done - just making an observation.
Yes, that feels like it may be the case. I apologize for taking it a bit too far this month.

To make up for it/test a theory, I'll commit to running July and come up with a month of more approachable challenges.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Would this...

Faez, Wicked Doctor
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (u)
You can mutate on Humans.
Choose a background.
1/1

count as giving an ability to cards in hand?

slimytrout

I would say no, since the cards in your hand are not given mutate by it (in fact, it's really more taking away part of the mutate ability that says "non-Human"). Of course, this being the CCL, there's nothing preventing you from having it as part of your submission if you think the voters will disagree with me.

Henlock

Yeah, I.understand. But supose I word it:

"Creature cards with mutate you own can be mutated on Humans"

I am still doing something relevant only for cards in hand. I know I could settle the issue if write it like:

Creature cards you own with mutate have "You can mutate this card on Humans."

I guess what I am wondering is what counts as giving a card an ability. beyond using "-" and keywords.

I am still thinking about it XD

slimytrout

Yeah, my general tendency for the CCL is going to be to not take a firm stance on things like this that are in a grey area, and instead just let the voters decide. Personally I would say that the first wording doesn't meet the challenge and the second does, but that is only my opinion. More generally, I would say that in most cases giving an ability will either look like '[card(s) meeting some criteria] have [keyword]' or '[card(s) meeting some criteria] have "[rules text]"' but I would not be at all surprised if there are examples where that breaks down.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The CCL: Drawing a Line in the Sand Against Firm Stances

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

AHem: :P

Line in the Sand
Enchantment — (R)
When Line in the Sand enters the battlefield, name a card with mana value X or less. Spells with that name can't be cast. Creatures with that name can't attack. Permanents with that name lose all abilities.
"Don't even think about it."
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@slimytrout I intend to enter the finals tomorrow

P.S. - to everyone, you can enter June's now extended round 2 even if you didn't enter round 1!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

So sorry - I've been overwhelmingly busy and unable to come up with anything for May's CCL finals as of yet. Also want to make sure my opponent @Henlock enters as well.

Henlock

I am a bit on it. Will.post my "in rpogress" for now!

slimytrout

Congratulations to @Henlock, winner of the May CCL!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

We will need an organizer for the August CCL - if you're interested, please let me know.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

July's top 6 round for those contestants who have advanced and August's first round which anyone may enter (even if you've never played the CCL before) are up!

slimytrout

OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
There needs to be some sort of limiting wording on the copy clause, otherwise you can target yourself repeatedly with the same spell. Since it doesn't require the player to be the only target, this gets out of control with a wide variety of spells. And since it allows you to put a return a spell of your choice to your hand immediately, it acts as a one-card infinite engine.
This is not accurate. When a copy of a spell is produced, that copy is never cast, so it will not trigger Curse of Lightning. If you look at Swarm Intelligence you will see that this must be the case, otherwise that card would be be entirely unprintable.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

You know, you're correct. It doesn't affect my ranking of your card, however.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Currently seeking a host for September's CCL. Please let me know if you're interested.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”