The DCC Discussion Thread

User avatar
void_nothing
The Chosen
Posts: 7275
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 68
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Snapgulch, Etrusa

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

That's enough. Obviously neither of you is going to concede regardless of whether or not the card is broken. Please refrain from discussing it any further in this thread.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet

User avatar
RattingRots
Pathological Scryer
Posts: 445
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

Rithaniel wrote:
2 years ago
No love for Nlia? Too bad. I'll have to come up with a way to make her more interesting.
I think Nlia would work a lot better in a purely digital card game than MtG - as it is you have to constantly keep track of the number of cards in multiple libraries. Determination of Nlia is better because at least only your library matters and you only have to know the number of cards once. It would still be slightly awkward in practice because you have to know if your library has 30 or fewer cards in it, but you don't want to telegraph that you have this in your hand obviously. Shelldock Isle is a less awkward version of this because the card is already in play, so you don't have the problem of not wanting to check the number of cards you have.

The other thing I think is that the library restriction is enough of an investment that the payoff should be really splashy. If I have to meet that restriction in addition to paying 8 mana in 4 different colors, I want to get something really special, not just a big creature.

Also this is super minor, but if you make Determination an instant, you can attack with Nlia when your library is tiny, then cast Determination mid-combat as a pump spell which IMO would make it more exciting.

I'll add since the discussion here has got a little contentious - while I'm definitely the type of poster who nitpicks little problems with cards, I think it's a really good thing that people try out different ideas that might be controversial. We don't actually get to play with these cards judging them involves a lot of gut feeling on what the potential problems with cards are, and how seriously they would impact things if we actually did get to play with them. If you have a pretty unique idea but people don't vote for it possibly due to thinking a certain aspect wouldn't work, I wouldn't take it too personally.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

User avatar
Rithaniel
Posts: 1066
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 2 years ago

So the issue with Nlia is that she incurs too much bookkeeping and doesn't deliver enough impact? Well that's good to know, because my thoughts were to tweak the numbers a bit. If the idea itself is unattractive, then tweaking numbers won't do anything. That's too bad, though, because the idea of a creature whose power and toughness are based on the number of cards in a library was what made me like her.

I made it be the library with the fewest cards in it because I wanted the card to potentially work in a mill deck meant to target your opponents, as well as a mill deck meant to target yourself. Would making it only consider a single player's library potentially fix the issue? What are some things that could change to make the card more appealing? Or does it always boil down to the basic concept involving unpleasant levels of bookkeeping?

Also, yeah, I honestly think more discussion on design philosophies is always a good thing. If you're designing things with only yourself as the judge, and then putting them out there, they won't be good designs, necessarily. Sure, you might be a good judge, but no one is perfect. The issue becomes when people start talking past each other. I don't know about anyone else, but that gets me personally quite frustrated, because I then get the sense that the discussion is futile.
And a Few Quotes
Show
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

User avatar
RattingRots
Pathological Scryer
Posts: 445
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

I think the biggest thing is to only look at one library, and try to minimize the number of times you look. I'd guess counting cards in library takes about as much time/effort as shuffling, so doing it once or twice is totally fine. I think if one card is making you do it with both libraries potentially several times it could get annoying.

I think as far as payoff, IMO any effect that is "bigger" than just a big creature would work. Bigger could mean a spiky threat with effects that either make it really easy to win immediately or make it better against removal. Alternately you could go for big effects that hopefully make for memorable games.
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
RattingRots
Show
Yes, I had considered various other options: making its own keyword, just using vanishing, and/or increasing the mana cost to 4W. But that card is supposed to come from one of my custom sets, private for now, and in that set both the mechanic being written out and the specific number being four make a lot of sense. Of course, you just couldn't know this, and it's hard to explain without saying more about that set and the story it's meant to tell. Maybe one day I will. I don't know.

As for your card for today, that's a neat idea, but unfortunately it doesn't work in the rules. Snow mana is not a type of mana you can add to your mana pool, it's just defined as "mana from a snow permanent".
CR 106.11 wrote: If an effect would add mana represented by one or more snow mana symbols to a player's mana pool, that much colorless mana is added to that player's mana pool.
So that card is functionally the same as "Add CCC."
Just to be clear, I didn't vote for yours just because there were a ton of good submissions - the keyword thing basically didn't factor at all in voting and the only thing with the 4 time wasn't major. I obviously don't know your full intent, my initial reaction seeing the 4 counters was just that it wouldn't be super different from a permanent effect.

I actually thought my card might not work within the rules but decided to just throw it out there.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

User avatar
bravelion83
Survivor. I've survived.
Posts: 2255
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Florence, Italy

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

RattingRots wrote:
2 years ago
Just to be clear, I didn't vote for yours just because there were a ton of good submissions - the keyword thing basically didn't factor at all in voting and the only thing with the 4 time wasn't major. I obviously don't know your full intent, my initial reaction seeing the 4 counters was just that it wouldn't be super different from a permanent effect.
No problem. That's exactly how I feel today, I'm looking at the cards posted in the 14th thread and I'm really having a hard time choosing who to vote for because there are just a bunch of cards that I like, so I definitely understand what you say and how you felt. Also, I don't usually post cards from my own custom sets in the DCC (also the CCL and MCC), but I admit that yesterday I didn't have any good inspiration or anything else planned, so I thought about doing that for once. The opposite thing happens far more often, I design a card for the DCC and I end up thinking "this would actually make a lot of sense in this one of my custom sets" and I put it straight in that set's MSE file. I have several custom sets I'm working on at this time, at various stages, some that are still just a one-line idea with no cards designed yet, others with keywords and many cards already in them. All of them are private for now, but I don't exclude to share more about some or all of them in the future eventually.
I actually thought my card might not work within the rules but decided to just throw it out there.
Not a problem either. I really like the idea you were going for, it's very elegant and I love simple and elegant cards. They're way harder to design than it might look. I totally agree with you that "throwing it out there" was the right choice, sometimes you just have to take risks. I was just pointing it out mainly as the reason why I haven't voted for it. I would have totally voted for it if it had actually worked.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on September 28th 2021)
Show
Blue means it was on MTGSalvation. Green means it was here on MTGNexus.
MCC - Winner (6): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019 || Host (21): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021 || Judge (47): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), every month from Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (1): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar) || Host (5): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep 2021
My projects (Updated on June 14th 2019)
Show
All on MTGSalvation for now. See this Blogger post.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ.

User avatar
RattingRots
Pathological Scryer
Posts: 445
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
RattingRots
Show
Happy to continue this in the discussion thread if you still disagree, but I think the "only any time you could activate a sorcery" rider makes this card much less busted. With that rider, it's very hard to engineer a situation where you get full value out of the creature *and* get to take an extra turn with it. Sacrificing it, attacking into blockers with it, having a removal spell pointed at it: all of those would lead to you losing the enchantment because you can't activate the ability in time. Obviously it's powerful, but so are many 6-mana mythics, and, from a constructed perspective, I think this card is actually substantially weaker than my cascade submission from a few days ago (and that card made you exile your hand!). In fact, this card isn't even strictly better than a 6-mana Time Warp, since it can be fizzled by your opponent's sacrifice or bounce.
Crap, I misread this. With this change it has some powerful modes, but I agree that it's in the acceptable range for a mythic.

I did happen to think your cascade spell was OP at least in a constructed environment where you can find the 0 mana suspend spells. It also has kind of a funny (yet seriously abusable) mode with Wheel of Fate.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

User avatar
void_nothing
The Chosen
Posts: 7275
Joined: 2 years ago
Answers: 68
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Snapgulch, Etrusa

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Yes, well worth nothing is the fact that the cascaded-into spell resolves before the spell with cascade.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet

slimytrout
Posts: 1192
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Yeah, between Hypergenesis and Living End (the latter is why I changed it to "Exile your hand"), I think Degenerate Rites would very easily earn its name and would almost certainly need to be banned in modern. Fortunately the cascading spell resolves before it does, since otherwise Restore Balance and Wheel of Fate would be absurd too. But I just thought it was too funny that you could make a card that was basically only one word added to One with Nothing and yet was absurdly powerful.

User avatar
RattingRots
Pathological Scryer
Posts: 445
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

Some comments over the past 2 days:
marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, shukkets

Once Forgotten Goblin
Creature - Goblin (Uncommon)
Of Memory (You may exile this card from your hand. Whenever you cast a goblin spell, if Once Forgotten Goblin is in exile, put a retrieval counter on Once Forgotten Goblin. Then if there are three or more retrieval counters on Once Forgotten Goblin, remove all counters from Once Forgotten Goblin, then put Once Forgotten Goblin onto the battlefield.)
Haste
2/2
I like this a lot, however I would try to template it as closely as possible to Suspend.
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Explorer's Morion 1{B/G}
Artifact - Equipment (Rare)
Whenever the equipped creature attacks, it explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, then put the card back or put it into your graveyard.)
Equip 2
I'm a huge explore fan and I think the mana smoothing is generally worth the "feel-bad" random moments.

However, in this case you have to choose to just throw a creature out there hoping in some cases that you'll get the +1/+1 counter you need to give your creature a favorable trade in combat, which I think would lead to unsatisfying gameplay too often.
Rithaniel wrote:
2 years ago
Shredding Forms 1WB
Instant R
Until end of turn, damage is dealt to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters, and whenever a creature is dealt damage this turn, it's controller puts that many 1/1 colorless Bird creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.
"Let them twist and lament and wish for an end to the conflict, so that they might rest. Yet let no rest come to them."
—Curse of the Cruel Ones
I like this a ton and I love that it can create some really unique interactions (especially when you are trying to damage your own creatures to generate birds). This was a notch below the cards I voted for though, because I think in a lot of "normal" combat cases, if you play this, whoever has the biggest creature comes out ahead, but if you don't, whoever has the biggest creature comes out ahead, so it feels a bit uninteresting strategically in normal combat (which it seems like it was primarly designed for).
Sagharri wrote:
2 years ago
Headless Goliath 1BB
Creature - Zombie Giant (U)
You may sacrifice two Zombies rather than pay Headless Goliath's mana cost.
Headless Goliath can't attack or block alone.
One more stitch would keep its head.
5/5
I think this card is slightly too high-tension (it is so bad in the games where it's bad), and I also think the fact that you need tons of creatures for this to do anything means that you end up not having as interesting a decision as similar alt mana cost cards.
emily wrote:
2 years ago
Pull into the Abyss 3B
Instant (C)
As an additional cost to cast Pull into the Abyss, exile a creature card from your graveyard.
Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the exiled card's power.
"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee." — Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
I think this is a bit overcosted. The opportunity cost of having an expensive creature in the 'yard is so high, that paying 4 in addition I think is prohibitive.
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Ever-Changing Licid 1
Creature - Licid (Uncommon)
Changeling
Ever-Changing Licid is all colors.
2: Transform Ever-Changing Licid and attach it to target creature.
1/1
///////////////
Ever-Changing Identity
Tribal Enchantment - Aura Licid (Uncommon)
Enchant creature
Changeling
Enchanted creature has all creature types and is all colors.
2: Unattach Ever-Changing Identity and transform it.
I would need more info on the larget context to really make a judgment on this. From what I can see, there would need to be great synergy for the equipment half to do much, and if there was, I don't know why you would swap it back and change it for removal.

There is a pretty interesting way to play this where you just use the transform to protect against creature removal.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Shellminder Patroness 3RW
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flash
Flying, menace
Whenever a creature you control blocks, it gets your choice of +2/+0 or +0/+2 until end of turn. If that creature is a Dragon or Egg, it gets your choice of +7/+0 or +0/+7 until end of turn instead.
4/3
I like this idea, but I think it's too powerful and flexible. Your opponent almost has no way to win with normal combat if this is out.
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Ethereal Regalia W
Enchantment – Aura (U)
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each enchantment you control.
Incantation 2W (When you cast this spell, create a token copy of this enchantment for each time you paid its incantation cost. Attach each of those to a different target permanent.)
I'm not sure if this exact wording works within the rules, because you are making a "copy of this enchantment" while it's a spell. In addition, it could lead to some potentially confusing situations due to the fact that the copies never have to go on the stack. In any case I got what this was supposed to do and I'm very confident there is a way to make this work within the rules.

I think if possible I would try to avoid aura tokens because I think they'd be slightly annoying to use, however this card makes them important and different enough to be worth the effort.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

slimytrout
Posts: 1192
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Yeah, I agree that it's a bit tricky within the rules. I could have made it simpler by making it an ETB trigger, but I didn't want the whole thing to be fizzled just by bouncing/killing the original target. Would be interested if anyone has a way to phrase it that doesn't run into this complication but also actually works.

User avatar
Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Posts: 3158
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: A cave somewhere in Scandinavia

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

RattingRots wrote:
2 years ago
I'm a huge explore fan and I think the mana smoothing is generally worth the "feel-bad" random moments.

However, in this case you have to choose to just throw a creature out there hoping in some cases that you'll get the +1/+1 counter you need to give your creature a favorable trade in combat, which I think would lead to unsatisfying gameplay too often.
Good thing that black is full of creatures that are evasive then, ain't it. And green has some as well in the form of small creatures with deathtouch. Green also has a tendency to produce large amounts of small token creatures, which gives the color a way to use the Explorer's Morion outside of evasion as said tokens are often quite expendable. The card is not designed for the purpose of helping your creatures get bigger, but to help with ramping.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

User avatar
Rithaniel
Posts: 1066
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 2 years ago

RattingRots wrote:
2 years ago
I like this a ton and I love that it can create some really unique interactions (especially when you are trying to damage your own creatures to generate birds). This was a notch below the cards I voted for though, because I think in a lot of "normal" combat cases, if you play this, whoever has the biggest creature comes out ahead, but if you don't, whoever has the biggest creature comes out ahead, so it feels a bit uninteresting strategically in normal combat (which it seems like it was primarly designed for).
Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you liked the design. I woud have actually argued that, when this spell is played, things tend to equalize more than anything, though. Like, if a 9/9 is attacking into a 3/3, then the person with the 3/3 now has nine 1/1 flyers, where the person with the 9/9 has a 6/6 and three 1/1 flyers. It does favor blocking high power creatures with low power ones, as that gives you more 1/1s, of course. So, provided all things are equal, I'd say it favors whoever is currently blocking. Though, perhaps there were issues that I didn't foresee.
And a Few Quotes
Show
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

User avatar
RattingRots
Pathological Scryer
Posts: 445
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

Rithaniel wrote:
2 years ago
Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you liked the design. I woud have actually argued that, when this spell is played, things tend to equalize more than anything, though. Like, if a 9/9 is attacking into a 3/3, then the person with the 3/3 now has nine 1/1 flyers, where the person with the 9/9 has a 6/6 and three 1/1 flyers. It does favor blocking high power creatures with low power ones, as that gives you more 1/1s, of course. So, provided all things are equal, I'd say it favors whoever is currently blocking. Though, perhaps there were issues that I didn't foresee.
I think you're right and I got it backwards in my head.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

User avatar
RattingRots
Pathological Scryer
Posts: 445
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
hm: almost voted for rattingrots, but I think it's substantially too strong to be common -- straight up 4-mana draw two at instant speed is already a reasonable common card, and I don't think an extra U in the casting cost balances out adding a counterspell mode.
I think looking back, uncommon is probably better. I've been trying to come up with commons, but some of my ideas end up being better in uncommon. I do think the comparison is to Hierogliphic Illumination, not just straight up Inspiration. I don't necessarily think my card is better in a vacuum than Illumination, however I do think Illumination is already a really good common, and the specific cases where my card is better are cases where you can use either countermagic or the threat of countermagic to ice the game, and the card becomes big and splashy enough that it should be uncommon.

EDIT: I also misremembered Chemister's Insight as a common, which made me more confident downshifting.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

User avatar
RattingRots
Pathological Scryer
Posts: 445
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Kinda thought the Princess and the Pea would do better... Oh well.
Wow I completely missed this. Guess I should read the flavor text next time lol.

Mechaincally I think it was a bit weird having a 2/1 vigilance. I don't necessarily think it's bad to do this, but for something like the DCC it's probably not going to pop out mechanically.
Rithaniel wrote:
2 years ago
I would have voted for Sagharri, because I really like the idea and the execution, but turning life into however much mana you need is a bit much for a one-drop.
Was the card a typo? I think the card makes a lot of sense if it taps for 1 mana to cast a demon.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

slimytrout
Posts: 1192
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

[mention]Krishnath[/mention]: I like the card concept, but I have two notes, one more important than the other, that made me not vote for it.

1) As you kind of intuited, this isn't exactly the right wording. From the rules: "702.101a Fuse is a static ability found on some split cards (see rule 708, "Split Cards") that applies while the card with fuse is in a player's hand." So I'm pretty sure it should be "split cards in your hand have fuse." But this isn't such a big deal, since it's the DCC.

2) Not at all sure why this is hybrid blue-green. I can see mono-blue, or hybrid blue-red, or even *maybe* gold blue-green to encourage ramping/splashing, but green is the most permanent-friendly color, and correspondingly the least spell-friendly (or perhaps second-least, to white, but white at least gets plenty of "rules-setting" enchantments). And since split cards by definition aren't permanents, green seems like the last color that would get an enchantment that makes your instants and sorceries better -- much more likely to punish your opponents for casting them, especially if they target your creatures.

User avatar
Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Posts: 3158
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: A cave somewhere in Scandinavia

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Krishnath: I like the card concept, but I have two notes, one more important than the other, that made me not vote for it.

1) As you kind of intuited, this isn't exactly the right wording. From the rules: "702.101a Fuse is a static ability found on some split cards (see rule 708, "Split Cards") that applies while the card with fuse is in a player's hand." So I'm pretty sure it should be "split cards in your hand have fuse." But this isn't such a big deal, since it's the DCC.

2) Not at all sure why this is hybrid blue-green. I can see mono-blue, or hybrid blue-red, or even *maybe* gold blue-green to encourage ramping/splashing, but green is the most permanent-friendly color, and correspondingly the least spell-friendly (or perhaps second-least, to white, but white at least gets plenty of "rules-setting" enchantments). And since split cards by definition aren't permanents, green seems like the last color that would get an enchantment that makes your instants and sorceries better -- much more likely to punish your opponents for casting them, especially if they target your creatures.
To be entirely honest, I made it partially green because green is severely lacking in mechanics that aren't creature based, pretty much all the colors have abilities that interact both with permanents and spells, except green. Giving split cards fuse is hardly something that unbalances the color compared to the others as it is extremely narrow design space (and lets be honest, would never get printed in a standard legal set because it is *so* narrow), and it gives green some spell interaction, although very limited such. It also felt like a very Simic thing to do, combining spells, but I do see your point that it would make more sense in another color combination (probably red-blue/izzet in that case), but that feels like giving a kid who has too many toys even more toys to play with.

I'll fix the wording in my files, but it is way to late to fix the post. :D
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

User avatar
emily
No TERFs on Gruul Turf
Posts: 552
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: she / her
Location: Low Earth Orbit, MA
Contact:

Post by emily » 2 years ago

Sagharri wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: slimytrout, netn10

Rule of Silence 1W
Enchantment (R)
Each player can't activate more than one activated ability each turn.
"..." - Unnamed monk
Might want to make this not restrict mana abilities.
Spelled with a lowercase "e". Formerly master_of_the_universe on MTGsalvation. Two time DCC champ (06/21, 07/21).

User avatar
RattingRots
Pathological Scryer
Posts: 445
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RattingRots » 2 years ago

marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
First, I would like to say that I did not know that anglerfish were slandered. Was it because of Finding Nemo? Now I'm curious. Second, here are my votes and card.
Sorry if that didn't come across as flippantly as I intended. I only said it because the actual MtG representation of an anglerfish (Gurmag Angler) is a freakishly giant fish that uses dead bodies as it's lure.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

marioguy3
Posts: 321
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

RattingRots wrote:
2 years ago
marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
First, I would like to say that I did not know that anglerfish were slandered. Was it because of Finding Nemo? Now I'm curious. Second, here are my votes and card.
Sorry if that didn't come across as flippantly as I intended. I only said it because the actual MtG representation of an anglerfish (Gurmag Angler) is a freakishly giant fish that uses dead bodies as it's lure.
That's okay. I like Finding Nemo a lot and thought of that anglerfish when designing the card.
The study of snakes is called hiss-tory.

User avatar
Flatline
The Heartbeat of America
Posts: 444
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Someplace Special

Post by Flatline » 2 years ago

As I said earlier in the month, netn10's Cowardly Lion card inspired me to try to finish the cycle. What I came up with is in the spoiler below. Cowardly Lion is exactly as netn10 had it, and my Search for Home is just his Search for Courage, but moved to the Dorothy card, where I think it really belongs. All of these cards are still very raw. I put very little thought into them, and haven't looked at them since the night i made them, but I thought they were kinda fun.
Spoiler
Show
Search For Courage w
Sorcery — Adventure (Rare)
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. You gain 2 life.
//////////
Cowardly Lion 2w
Creature - Cat (Rare)
Whenever Cowardly Lion becomes blocked, return it to its owner's hand.
"I am not afraid anymore, when I have such friends by my side."
4/4

Search for Intelligence u
Sorcery — Adventure
Draw a card.
/////
Overstuffed Scarecrow 2u
Artifact Creature — Scarecrow
Whenever ~ blocks a creature, scry 2 then return to it to its owner's hand.
0/3

Search for Heart 3g
Sorcery — Adventure
Search your library for an adventure card and exile that card on an adventure. Shuffle you library.
/////
Rusted Tin Man 1g
Artifact Creature — Construct
Rusted Tin Man enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step.
Whenever you cast a creature spell that has an adventure, untap Tin Man.
4/4

Hasty Youth r
Creature — Human Peasant
Haste
2/1
/////
Search for Home 4r
Sorcery — Adventure
If you own the following cards that are on an adventure, you win the game —
• Cowardly Lion
• Overstuffed Scarecrow
• Rusted Tinman
On a side note, someone mentioned something about making flying monkeys when netn10 posted Cowardly Lion......When I first began making custom cards, I was working on a Return to Innistrad set (before it actually happened), and the set focused on Witches as a new tribe. I think I posted this card in the very first DCC I ever participated in....

Flying Monkeys 1b
Creature — Ape
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control a Witch, create a 1/1 black Ape creature token with flying.
1/1
Card Contest Victories
Show
DCC
Show
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

User avatar
bravelion83
Survivor. I've survived.
Posts: 2255
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Florence, Italy

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

[mention]Flatline[/mention] You have no idea how happy the thought that this all started with me posting a card on my birthday makes me, one that then took a life of its own and evolved into this! Is the lack of a black card in the cycle intentional?
My CCCG Resume (Updated on September 28th 2021)
Show
Blue means it was on MTGSalvation. Green means it was here on MTGNexus.
MCC - Winner (6): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019 || Host (21): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021 || Judge (47): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), every month from Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (1): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar) || Host (5): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep 2021
My projects (Updated on June 14th 2019)
Show
All on MTGSalvation for now. See this Blogger post.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ.

User avatar
Flatline
The Heartbeat of America
Posts: 444
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Someplace Special

Post by Flatline » 2 years ago

[mention]bravelion83[/mention] I didn't realize that that's where this all started, but I'm certainly happy if you are. :)

Yes, the lack of a black card was intentional. That's reserved for another Oz-themed card that I may just post tonight (those even remotely familiar with Wizard of Oz can probably guess what the card is).
Card Contest Victories
Show
DCC
Show
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

User avatar
bravelion83
Survivor. I've survived.
Posts: 2255
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Florence, Italy

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Yes, my birthday card inspired netn10 to make the Cowardly Lion, which then inspired you to expand the cycle and me to make another card, the Loyal Leonin. Or at least, this is how I've taken it until now. I'm only discovering now with you mentioning it that the Wizard of Oz might have been the actual inspiration for the Cowardly Lion, which honestly makes me sad. I thought it was netn10's birthday gift to me... while now I understand it probably wasn't. I know absolutely nothing about the Wizard of Oz. Literally, the only thing that I know is that there is a story with that name. I've never read it, and never read or seen any derived work. I was wondering who Dorothy (from your previous post) was... And I'm sure I will not get the reference on the black card. Oh, well, I'm still choosing to believe that the Cowardly Lion was for me... Only now you've made me understand that this might have been just a huge misunderstanding due to me not knowing the source material. Well, thank you for letting me know the truth at least...
[mention]netn10[/mention], honestly, what was your actual inspiration for the Cowardly Lion? Me, something from the Wizard of Oz (that I can't know because I don't know it at all), or maybe both?
My CCCG Resume (Updated on September 28th 2021)
Show
Blue means it was on MTGSalvation. Green means it was here on MTGNexus.
MCC - Winner (6): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019 || Host (21): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021 || Judge (47): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), every month from Aug 2019 (first ever on MTGNexus) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last ever on MTGSalvation), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (1): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar) || Host (5): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep 2021
My projects (Updated on June 14th 2019)
Show
All on MTGSalvation for now. See this Blogger post.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ.

User avatar
Flatline
The Heartbeat of America
Posts: 444
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Someplace Special

Post by Flatline » 2 years ago

[mention]bravelion83[/mention] I'm sorry if I unintentionally burst your bubble. It's possible that nent10 intended his Cowardly Lion card as a b'day present to you, but he was certainly taking his cue from The Wizard of Oz. In it, there is a character that's named Cowardly Lion that goes with a girl named Dorothy (and also a Scarecrow and a Tin Lumberjack) on The Yellow Brick Road to visit The Wizard of Oz (who is the inspiration for my card tonight - All Powerful Illusion). Each one of them is searching for something different: Lion - courage; Scarecrow - a brain; Tin Man - a heart; Dorothy: a way home after being swept away by a tornado to the magical land of Oz. I would be remiss if I didn't mention how amazed I am that I am explaining the plot of The Wizard of Oz to someone. I know you don't live in The States, but I assumed that just about everyone on the planet knew that movie. I don't know that I'd say that about any other movie. General pop culture-wise, I would probably say the same thing about The Beatles or Micheal Jackson.
Card Contest Victories
Show
DCC
Show
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”