The DCC Discussion Thread

Rithaniel
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
And in fact this is exactly where I personally disagree with the real R&D (or Wizards, or Studio X, call it however you want). This question perfectly summarizes everything. Why is it three colors? Actually, that's probably the biggest point in all of Magic card design where my own opinion disagrees with theirs, and there are only a few of those. This just happens to be the biggest one. If you followed my judgments for the SNC-themed MCC month that I hosted in May you should have seen it. I've mentioned it there multiple times. Under their current guidelines, the Aria is indeed fine as Naya-colored. Instead, that card would totally be mono red if I had been the designer. But this is not a problem, just my personal opinion, and what I wrote in my spoiler wasn't meant to be a criticism of your designs or Wizards' philosophy. It was only meant to be an explanation of my own, and let me put emphasis on "my own", reasons why I voted for this card but not the other ones from the same cycle. That's all.
Oh yeah, you're good. I've just been thinking about how to design these cards, and so when you engaged with the design, it made me want to share my thinking. I think I might even make a thread in custom cards after this cycle talking about them, and maybe revising a few.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Congrats once again @CunningGabe on a well-earned August DCC victory!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Thank you! It was nice to get back into card creation. You all had some great creations too! And special thanks to void_nothing for hosting.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

Rithaniel

Yeah, congrats Gabe! Last month was a bit crazy in my life, so my attention wasn't fully on the DCC, but I still did notice how consistently I was liking your cards. You definitely earned the win, since you ended up with about a 15 point lead over everyone else, which means you got about 6 points for every 5 that any other player got.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

I would like to petition to make separate pages for daily tournaments (DCC, other various daily contests) and ongoing monthly contests (MCC, CCL) for visibility purposes. I don't know how feasible that is, but it might help participation numbers a tiny touch due to lack of bumping to second page.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Surging Chaos
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Surging Chaos » 1 year ago

Just wanted to say: Thanks for all the votes on my Dark Confidant variant from yesterday. The inspiration came to me when I was thinking about various ways to iterate on red's impulse draw mechanic. One thing that kept coming to my mind is that there is typically a baseline "fail state" for impulse draw in that if you fail to play/cast the exiled card, it permanently stays in exile. Losing the cards permanently sucks in theory, but in actual play it isn't that bad of a thing to experience. That's when I realized, "What if there was an impulse draw that actually punished you for failing to use the exiled cards?"

That led me to a Rakdos type of card for this idea in which you lose life for failing to use the exiled cards. I then put two and two together and realized that Dark Confidant's ability could easily be used as a framework for the card itself.
September 2022 DCC Winner

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Rithaniel wrote:
1 year ago
I started writing up a thread about those four-colored cards. I apparently had more to say than I thought, because it's kinda becoming a big thread.
At that length, you should consider writing an article instead! PM me if you want to talk about this.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

archemediesx

Post by archemediesx » 1 year ago

Since most vehicles are undercosted due to crew restrictions, this should sacrifice at end of turn if you don't pay the cost. You can easily get 6 power with haste for 2 mana on turn 2 with most common vehicles with this card. Outside of balancing, i really like this card. but it's very busted in its current iteration.
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, SurgingChaos

Happy Birthday!

Test-Drive 1R
Instant (U)
Put a Vehicle card from your hand onto the battlefield. That Vehicle gains haste until end of turn.
At the beginning of your end step, you may pay X, where X is that Vehicle's mana value. If you don't, return that Vehicle to your hand. (Return it only if it's on the battlefield.)
"Easy Dude. You're being very Un-Dude."

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

archemediesx wrote:
1 year ago
Since most vehicles are undercosted due to crew restrictions, this should sacrifice at end of turn if you don't pay the cost.
Well, you DO still have to activate the crew ability. Test Drive does not turn the Vehicle it puts down into an artifact creature.

archemediesx

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
archemediesx wrote:
1 year ago
Since most vehicles are undercosted due to crew restrictions, this should sacrifice at end of turn if you don't pay the cost.
Well, you DO still have to activate the crew ability. Test Drive does not turn the Vehicle it puts down into an artifact creature.
Haha, missed that part. RTCS right?

So now the debate becomes what's more fun. getting a hasty vehicle that's already a creature, or having to rely on having a creature to crew it? The design makes a lot more sense now, but I'm a greedy player, and it sure would be fun to have a hasty car sneak attack even with an empty board 😎

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

archemediesx wrote:
1 year ago
So now the debate becomes what's more fun. getting a hasty vehicle that's already a creature, or having to rely on having a creature to crew it? The design makes a lot more sense now, but I'm a greedy player, and it sure would be fun to have a hasty car sneak attack even with an empty board 😎
I debated that too! In the end, given the name "Test-Drive", I thought it made more sense to require it to be crewed, and then if you don't buy it, it just goes back onto the dealer's lot. But I agree, it would also be fun to have a Ball Lightning version :)
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

Surging Chaos

Post by Surging Chaos » 1 year ago

Thank you to everyone for voted for all of my cards this past month. I'll probably take a break from the DCC and hopefully come back in the near future. :)
September 2022 DCC Winner

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Surging Chaos wrote:
1 year ago
Thank you to everyone for voted for all of my cards this past month. I'll probably take a break from the DCC and hopefully come back in the near future. :)
Congratulations! Breaks can be healthy and also good for you as a designer. You had an unbelievably good month and you deserved the win!

archemediesx

Just a small mechanic issue, but since this spell isn't directly destroying anything, and -1/-1 counters are state-based destruction, nothing is technically dying "this way" from this spell's resolution.
The life/discard rider would need to be worded "Until end of turn, whenever a creature...dies," you can make it a simple death trigger, or you can specify if a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it dies.

I like it as a different option to black sun's zenith. Not as versatile since it can't go wide with the X in the cost, but has a nasty rider if you get it off. Since it does affect you and your team, it might balance better if the rider only affects opponents.
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Votes: RattingRots, void_nothing

Nexus of Despair
Instant (Mythic Rare)
Put three -1/-1 counters on each creature. Whenever a nontoken creature dies this way, that creature's controller loses one life or discards a card. If Nexus of Despair would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Nexus of Despair and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

I just wanted to say, I'm aware that the card I posted might have more rules issues than swiss cheese has holes, but that's part of the reason I posted it. I figure ya'll are the ones who will know how the mechanic SHOULD work, so by all means roast my card. I have no clue what the best way to word it rules wise is so feedback is appreciated.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
I just wanted to say, I'm aware that the card I posted might have more rules issues than swiss cheese has holes, but that's part of the reason I posted it. I figure ya'll are the ones who will know how the mechanic SHOULD work, so by all means roast my card. I have no clue what the best way to word it rules wise is so feedback is appreciated.
My own rewind mechanic might also have a lot of rules issues, you're not alone. I've seen you've edited the card a lot of times, here's how I currently see it:
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Enigmatic Apparition
Creature — Spirit (R)
Flying
Ward—Pay 3 life.
When Enigmatic Apparition is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, put it into your library third from the top.
Envision (You may cast this spell for it's envision cost whenever you look at or reveal this card as the result of a spell or ability you control.) (Timing restrictions do not apply).
4/3
I will not roast this card, I never would, but I do see a couple of things here.

One is actually the third ability, the one that puts it in the library. Let's say you have this on the battlefield, I steal it with, say, Act of Treason (I pay the ward cost, no problems there), and then, while it's still under my control, it dies. It dies under my control, so the "you" in that ability refers to me. It's as if it said "When it's put into my graveyard from the battlefield..." which never happens because it will be put into your graveyard, as you're its owner and a card always goes to its owner's graveyard, so that ability wouldn't trigger at all in that case. Ok, then you could say "I will just change it to a death trigger: 'When CARDNAME dies, put it into your library third from the top.'" Ok. Then let's remember "dies" means "a graveyard" not just "your graveyard", so that ability would indeed trigger in that case, but I'm still the ability's controller, so that "you" in "your library" still refers to me. I will end up having to put a card you own in my own library, which is a big no in Magic design. I think there might even be some rules in the CR that forbid something like this from happening, I can't recall from memory right now, I'd have to check. Anyway, that would be a problem unless you meant for this card to be acorn/silver-bordered, which I don't think was the case here. In the end, I think that ability just needs to be worded as "When CARDNAME dies, put it into its owner's library third from the top."

The other thing is of course what you were probably referring to, the envision keyword. Let's just ignore the eternal "its" vs. "it's" fight. You chose the wrong one here, and that would be a -1 in Quality if I were this card's hudge in the MCC, but let's just say you wrote that right. I can only think of two precedents: Panglacial Wurm and miracle. The Wurm is a rules mightmare because it makes you cast a spell during the resolution of an ability, at a time you normally couldn't, but this isn't the case here, thanks to envision being a triggered ability (the Wurm's one is a static ability so it works differently). That "whenever" buried in the middle of the reminder text and that would need to be moved right at the beginning tells us that. So, it should go like this: I cast a spell like, say, Anticipate. I see this card in my top three. Anticipate is a spell I control that make me look at that card, so envision triggers but, and here is the key, we are in the middle of a spell (Anticipate) resolving, so that ability waits to be put onto the stack until a player is about to get priority, it doesn't happen in the middle of the resolution like the Wurm does. No problems here, we have a triggered ability that has triggered and is waiting to be put onto the stack. This card is still in your library at this point, nothing has moved it elsewhere. Let's move on and finish resolving my Anticipate. Now there are two possibilities: I can put this card either in my hand or on the bottom of my library. In the former case, I think that when that triggered ability will be put onto the stack it will not be able to find this card because it changed zone, so I think nothing would happen except now you have this in hand. If I put it on the bottom instead things look more promising to me. Now I put Anticipate into my graveyard as the final step of its resolution. A spell of mine has just resolved so I'm about to get priority. But wait! We have to check SBAs first. Let's say there are none. Now wait again! We have to check if any triggered abilities need to be put onto the stack before I do get priority, and guess what? Yes, there is one such triggered ability: envision! Now it's put onto the stack and then I finally get priority. I could do something in response, as could any other player, but let's say everybody passes priority. The top object of the stack (envision) resolves and asks me: "Do you want to cast me for a discount right now?". Here there is another fork in the road: if I say no, nothing happens and everything ends here. If I say yes, the card has NOT changed zones, just the position in the library (now it's on the bottom), so the rules should be able to track it. I take it from wherever it is (remember this) and I start the process of casting it: I put it onto the stack, I make the required choices (none), I select targets (none), I check legality (yes), I determine the total cost starting with envision's alternate cost (WUB assuming no cost increases, reductions, or setting are there), I have a chance to activate mana abilities, I pay the cost, and finally it's cast. I've just cast a spell, so I get priority again (assuming no SBAs and no further triggered abilities to be put onto the stack). Let's assume another priority pass by all players. Now, finally, this resolves and I get the Apparition on the battlefield. This is how I think it should work. I see only one problem. Remember when I said to "remember this" a few sentences ago? In that moment, you will have to physically pick up your library to take the card. This comes with a lot of potential logistical and tournament problems. How can I pick that card up without seeing the position of any other cards, as nothing tells me to shuffle afterwards so I won't? How can you make sure I'm not cheating by doing this intentionally to see where my other cards are in my library or to manipulate it in a non-legit way? I think these are the kind of problems you would have to deal with, not the rules. As for the wording, as I've touched upon at the beginning of this wall of text (sorry but I think I'm famous for these by now), the only thing I would do is moving the trigger condition at the beginning as that's the default for triggered abilities. Also, there is no need to have two separate bracketed texts, just fuse them into a single one. I'd write something like:

Envision COST (Whenever you look at or reveal this card as the result of a spell or ability you control, you may cast it for its envision cost. Timing restrictions do not apply.)

I could even just drop the sentence about timing restrictions as that's baked into the rules and just stop at "for its envision cost." I think I've spent the last hour or so writing this. I'm not rereading this for typos now, so I apologize if there are any. I hope this helps.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Venedrex

bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
My own rewind mechanic might also have a lot of rules issues, you're not alone. I've seen you've edited the card a lot of times, here's how I currently see it:
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Enigmatic Apparition
Creature — Spirit (R)
Flying
Ward—Pay 3 life.
When Enigmatic Apparition is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, put it into your library third from the top.
Envision (You may cast this spell for it's envision cost whenever you look at or reveal this card as the result of a spell or ability you control.) (Timing restrictions do not apply).
4/3
I will not roast this card, I never would, but I do see a couple of things here.

One is actually the third ability, the one that puts it in the library. Let's say you have this on the battlefield, I steal it with, say, Act of Treason (I pay the ward cost, no problems there), and then, while it's still under my control, it dies. It dies under my control, so the "you" in that ability refers to me. It's as if it said "When it's put into my graveyard from the battlefield..." which never happens because it will be put into your graveyard, as you're its owner and a card always goes to its owner's graveyard, so that ability wouldn't trigger at all in that case. Ok, then you could say "I will just change it to a death trigger: 'When CARDNAME dies, put it into your library third from the top.'" Ok. Then let's remember "dies" means "a graveyard" not just "your graveyard", so that ability would indeed trigger in that case, but I'm still the ability's controller, so that "you" in "your library" still refers to me. I will end up having to put a card you own in my own library, which is a big no in Magic design. I think there might even be some rules in the CR that forbid something like this from happening, I can't recall from memory right now, I'd have to check. Anyway, that would be a problem unless you meant for this card to be acorn/silver-bordered, which I don't think was the case here. In the end, I think that ability just needs to be worded as "When CARDNAME dies, put it into its owner's library third from the top."

The other thing is of course what you were probably referring to, the envision keyword. Let's just ignore the eternal "its" vs. "it's" fight. You chose the wrong one here, and that would be a -1 in Quality if I were this card's hudge in the MCC, but let's just say you wrote that right. I can only think of two precedents: Panglacial Wurm and miracle. The Wurm is a rules mightmare because it makes you cast a spell during the resolution of an ability, at a time you normally couldn't, but this isn't the case here, thanks to envision being a triggered ability (the Wurm's one is a static ability so it works differently). That "whenever" buried in the middle of the reminder text and that would need to be moved right at the beginning tells us that. So, it should go like this: I cast a spell like, say, Anticipate. I see this card in my top three. Anticipate is a spell I control that make me look at that card, so envision triggers but, and here is the key, we are in the middle of a spell (Anticipate) resolving, so that ability waits to be put onto the stack until a player is about to get priority, it doesn't happen in the middle of the resolution like the Wurm does. No problems here, we have a triggered ability that has triggered and is waiting to be put onto the stack. This card is still in your library at this point, nothing has moved it elsewhere. Let's move on and finish resolving my Anticipate. Now there are two possibilities: I can put this card either in my hand or on the bottom of my library. In the former case, I think that when that triggered ability will be put onto the stack it will not be able to find this card because it changed zone, so I think nothing would happen except now you have this in hand. If I put it on the bottom instead things look more promising to me. Now I put Anticipate into my graveyard as the final step of its resolution. A spell of mine has just resolved so I'm about to get priority. But wait! We have to check SBAs first. Let's say there are none. Now wait again! We have to check if any triggered abilities need to be put onto the stack before I do get priority, and guess what? Yes, there is one such triggered ability: envision! Now it's put onto the stack and then I finally get priority. I could do something in response, as could any other player, but let's say everybody passes priority. The top object of the stack (envision) resolves and asks me: "Do you want to cast me for a discount right now?". Here there is another fork in the road: if I say no, nothing happens and everything ends here. If I say yes, the card has NOT changed zones, just the position in the library (now it's on the bottom), so the rules should be able to track it. I take it from wherever it is (remember this) and I start the process of casting it: I put it onto the stack, I make the required choices (none), I select targets (none), I check legality (yes), I determine the total cost starting with envision's alternate cost (WUB assuming no cost increases, reductions, or setting are there), I have a chance to activate mana abilities, I pay the cost, and finally it's cast. I've just cast a spell, so I get priority again (assuming no SBAs and no further triggered abilities to be put onto the stack). Let's assume another priority pass by all players. Now, finally, this resolves and I get the Apparition on the battlefield. This is how I think it should work. I see only one problem. Remember when I said to "remember this" a few sentences ago? In that moment, you will have to physically pick up your library to take the card. This comes with a lot of potential logistical and tournament problems. How can I pick that card up without seeing the position of any other cards, as nothing tells me to shuffle afterwards so I won't? How can you make sure I'm not cheating by doing this intentionally to see where my other cards are in my library or to manipulate it in a non-legit way? I think these are the kind of problems you would have to deal with, not the rules. As for the wording, as I've touched upon at the beginning of this wall of text (sorry but I think I'm famous for these by now), the only thing I would do is moving the trigger condition at the beginning as that's the default for triggered abilities. Also, there is no need to have two separate bracketed texts, just fuse them into a single one. I'd write something like:

Envision COST (Whenever you look at or reveal this card as the result of a spell or ability you control, you may cast it for its envision cost. Timing restrictions do not apply.)

I could even just drop the sentence about timing restrictions as that's baked into the rules and just stop at "for its envision cost." I think I've spent the last hour or so writing this. I'm not rereading this for typos now, so I apologize if there are any. I hope this helps.

Sounds good, thanks for the detailed feedback. :)
I like the idea of making it a dies trigger, I actually just used the text it currently has because I was lazy and I found a card that already had it: Enigma Sphinx.

Yeah, the cheating/logistics issue is a good point, I could definitely see people rearranging when they shouldn't.
What about forcing a reveal/exile trigger so the card is separated from the pile of cards? Like madness?

If the effect of a spell or ability you control would cause you to look at or reveal this card, exile it instead. When you do, cast it for it's envision cost or put in on top of your library.

Can it be worded like this?

If you would look at or reveal this card, exile it instead. When you do, cast it for it's envision cost or put in on top of your library.

Does this help make it any easier/less cheaty to resolve I wonder? Jeez I need to dig through the rules more. Does this instead make it a replacement effect, and more importantly if so does that make it happen before the spell fully resolves? My squirrel brain is going crazy like someone just dropped a feeder of acorns. :rofl:

Taking your version and mixing it with an exile trigger... (Why do I feel like this is a big cauldron I'm throwing things into randomly).

(Whenever you look at or reveal this card as the result of a spell or ability you control, exile it. When you do, cast it for its envision cost or put it on top of your library.)

So I guess with this version you gain the benefit of putting the card on top of your library, even if it was three cards deep or something. Hmmm. Maybe it should be bottom of library? However, hopefully this stops the risk of people picking up their deck again, forgetting their trigger, or accidentally fizzling it by choosing the card with envision to go into their hand. (Although maybe nothing can prevent the accidental fizzling.)

BTW no need to answer if you don't feel like it, this is just me speculating wildly as I love to do. Appreciate all the feedback.

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 1 year ago

(Whenever you look at or reveal this card as the result of a spell or ability you control, exile it. When you do, cast it for its envision cost or put it on top of your library.)

^responding to that: the exile is written as mandatory but the looking part is hidden information (like, if it's in your library and yer lookn at it your opponent doesnt know) which allows for cheating or misplaying

in general triggered abilities on cards in hidden zones have some difficulties

in this case it mite be enuff to have a "you may" on the exile part. for the same reason "put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield" is written as "you may put a creature card from..."

hmm, actually, even if you added "you may" that wouldnt work because how does the trigger go to the stack before other players have even seen the card? im sorry, this isnt the clearest explaination, i hope you get my point

Rithaniel

You'd have to write it as a replacement effect. Something like "If you would look at or reveal this card, you may exile it instead. When you do . . . well, you get the idea."

But I'd still be a bit concerned about potential rules ambiguity. Like, imagine if one spell says "Reveal the top card of your library. If its a creature card, put it into your hand." and another spell says "Reveal the top card of your library. This spell deals damage equal to its mana cost to any target."

Like, I think the most logical solution would be to have the first one fail while the second one succeeds, but the reasoning why wouldn't necessarily be clear. A player might be confused in the first case, unsure whether to put it into their hand or keep it exiled. Once a person figures out that the effect "interrupts" the resolution of other effects, they might then think that the second example also gets interrupted, thinking that it needs the card to still be there to work.

But then what if you get even more complex interactions? Like, imagine a card that reads "Reveal the top seven cards of your library. If the total mana value of cards revealed this way is X or less, put those cards into your hand. Otherwise, put them into your graveyard." Does the "envisioned" card count towards this or not? Was it revealed as far as the spell is concerned?
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

Venedrex

Ah thanks so much for the feedback. Yeah, it is quite confusing. Maybe this mechanic is a bit too complicated to be practical :) One thing I've been thinking about is removing the reveal clause, so it just cares about cards you look at, but that might not be enough to salvage things either. Could it determined that because the envisioned card was exiled, it does not count as a revealed card for spells that reveal?

So using the replacement effect you mentioned:

Trace of a Dream
Sorcery — (R)
Envision (If you would look at or reveal this card, you may exile it instead. When you do, cast it for it's envision cost or put it on top of your library.)
Scry 2, then draw a card.

So, for example, if I played Goblin Charbelcher and it revealed a creature with envision, I have two choices. If I exile the card with envision, Charbelcher doesn't count the envision card, regardless of whether I choose to cast it or not. If I don't choose to exile the envision creature, it is revealed for the purposes of Charbelcher's effect. Is that a good solution? I don't know lol. Can I just decide what I want the rules to do with this? Is that what Wotc would do?

Now, uh, for another rules question if ya'll would be so kind. Can you convoke a spell that you cast without paying it's mana cost? (in this case to get the benefit of the effect that cares about the number of creatures that convoked the spell.)

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Can you convoke a spell that you cast without paying it's mana cost?
I don't think so. Convoke is an alternate way of paying mana and "without paying its mana cost" is an alternative cost for the spell. You can only pay one alternative cost for a spell (unlike additional costs), so you're just changing the spell's mana cost from whatever it is to "no mana cost" and can't pay mana for that, either by ordinary means (mana abilities) or alternate ways (like convoke and delve). Notice that "without paying its mana cost" is different from 0. The former is not a mana cost, the latter is a mana cost that costs no mana to pay but it's still a mana cost. Disclaimer: I'm not a judge, just a huge rules fan who likes too much having fun with the CR.

I had not seen the previous posts about your mechanic. I'll read them and if I have further comments I'll put them here.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Venedrex

bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Can you convoke a spell that you cast without paying it's mana cost?
I don't think so. Convoke is an alternate way of paying mana and "without paying its mana cost" is an alternative cost for the spell. You can only pay one alternative cost for a spell (unlike additional costs), so you're just changing the spell's mana cost from whatever it is to "no mana cost" and can't pay mana for that, either by ordinary means (mana abilities) or alternate ways (like convoke and delve). Notice that "without paying its mana cost" is different from 0. The former is not a mana cost, the latter is a mana cost that costs no mana to pay but it's still a mana cost. Disclaimer: I'm not a judge, just a huge rules fan who likes too much having fun with the CR.

I had not seen the previous posts about your mechanic. I'll read them and if I have further comments I'll put them here.
Gotcha, thanks for the answer, that makes sense.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Rithaniel I think I see what's going on here, and I like it... literally always good to see a new multicolor mega-cycle from you.

Rithaniel

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
@Rithaniel I think I see what's going on here, and I like it... literally always good to see a new multicolor mega-cycle from you.
Heh, yeah. This one is gonna be a smaller one, with just two cards for each of the five main colors, but maybe it'll become bigger.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Volley of Arrows 3GU
Sorcery (R)
Rewind 2WW (You may cast this spell for its rewind cost. If you do, perform the listed actions in reverse order while resolving this spell. This is not a modal spell.)
• Destroy all creatures with flying.
• Choose any number of target players. Put a flying counter on each creature those players control.
RattingRots wrote:
1 year ago
Thanks for giving us a 4 mana Plague Wind
Well, thank you for pointing that out. That card was a victim of overdevelopment I guess. It started by saying "choose any number of other players" and then "you and the chosen players", but then I thought I would have made it a bit cleaner because of course you would have always chosen yourself to give your own creatures flying... well, not unless you're going to destroy them I guess... It was supposed to be a Day of Judgment, not a Plague Wind. Oh, well, that's how it went today. Time to post another thread right now.
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”