The DCC Discussion Thread

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RattingRots » 1 year ago

Oh yeah I figured it was supposed to be symmetrical and you just brainfarted.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
At Rithaniel: Aha! That might be partially responsible for my poor score this month.
BTW, I might have played with the planes once and don't really know how to wrap my mind around them, so I'm probably not "getting" most of these. Unless these do something really unique I wouldn't really be able to judge them. I'd bet that's true for other people.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

It's a problem with designing cards for Planechase, Archenemy, and the other alt-formats: They really were only out for a limited time, and even then were hot-cold -- some players loved them, most were more meh. And more recent players don't have the experience or context to judge them. In a few years we'll probably add dungeons, night/day, and The City's Blessing to the pile, too. (Monarch seems to be sticking around, but it's a little more streamlined than some of these.)

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Initiative also catching on but possibly for the wrong reasons. :P

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 1 year ago

bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
:
- wizyard ("rather than its power" is missing, see Doran, the Siege Tower itself)

it's not "rather than," it's "in addition to," which is a wording i considered but chose "combined" instead

OneAndOnly

I think Leo means, it should be "each creature deals combat damage equal to its power and toughness combined, rather than its power."

You're talkings italics, he's talking boldface.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
I think Leo means, it should be "each creature deals combat damage equal to its power and toughness combined, rather than its power."

You're talkings italics, he's talking boldface.
Exactly this. It should be:

"Each creature assigns combat damage equal to its power and toughness combined rather than its power."

The last four words in that sentence were what was missing, not the part before. I also still have doubts on the word "combined", that has never been used outside of silver border/acorn. Taking Cut Down as inspiration, what I would have actually written is:

"Each creature assigns combat damage equal to its total power and toughness rather than its power."

I believe this last one would be the exact wording if this effect was to be printed right now. In the future wording might change, who knows? But for the moment I believe that's what it would be.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

wizyard

fair enuff.

tho i dont care for that wording, regardless of standard templating

could look at it like how alternative and additional costs differ.. alternative costs such as evoke you pay instead of or "rather than" normal costs,

but additional costs like kicker arent templated like you're paying the normal cost plus an additional cost instead of the normal cost. it sounds redundant, maybe wonky and less immediately groksome

i do think i couldve left it with my original intended wording of

"each creature you control assigns combat damage equal to its toughness in addition to its power"

which i like partly bcuz i like imagining the reader reaching up to the toughness and thinking it's going to be simply another doran style thing and being somewhat surprised when they read to the end, heh

i basically feel less tethered to the limits of existing conventions- i understand the need for standards, but i dont feel the need to pigeonhole myself strictly to the prior conclusions of an outside authority, nor wait until those conclusions get made.

hot take i know. unorthodox opinion, im fully aware

lols to the lol

sorry, im unhinged. dont mind me
just some more mad rambling
Show
Hide
if i see another creator's design that doesnt work within the rules or is somewhat outside typical templating, i tend to be forgiving, and it's all imaginary so i figure the rules can be written to make people's ideas work if we choose to believe/ assume so or whatever

OneAndOnly

I'm right there with you. This particular instance is especially interesting; unlike Doran (which substitutes toughness for power), you're not ignoring power in the damage assignment, but rather adding toughness to it.

Additionally, MtG rules usually utilize "instead" as a replacement effect, rather than "rather."

Since I make up most of the cards I submit for Custom Card games in the span of about three minutes, I don't worry about wording that much, so long as the intent is clear. But there are times I've gone back to a card I've made up and realized the wording could have been improved. I know folks who've gone on to write "supplemental Comprehensive Rules additions," which I would save for putting together an entire set.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

My take on the design would be a little more boring:

"Each creature gets +X/+0, where X is its toughness."

It's functionally different only in how it interacts with other cards, and it sidesteps the potential confusion.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

OneAndOnly

That's quite different, since it affects all non-combat damage too (fight, Fling effects, certain white removal spells, certain evasion abilities, etc.)

Rithaniel

Yeah, it's functionally different in how it interacts with some other cards, but that's the only way. I actually feel that the way that cards interact actually sums up to a net zero. It half of cases you'd want the original mechanical version, and in half of cases you'd want mine. So, I'd treat them as equivalent, even though they are mechanically distinct. However, I see some potential reading-comprehension issues with the original, which is why I would go for mine.

If we were set on getting the exact mechanical interactions of the original, I'd probably opt to use the word "plus," rather than "combined," and probably add on an extra helper word to aide in reader comprehension. Something like this:

"Each creature you control assign combat damage equal to its power plus its toughness, rather than its power alone."

The "alone" at the end can then be an additional thing that you add on when the replacement effect replaces "power" with "power plus something else."
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

wizyard

like the addition of alone to the end for clarity, which is worth a slight reduction in brevity

using the word "plus" was also something i considered, but mathy sounding words for some reason take away from the magical vibe. that's purely a personal aesthetic hang up of course
tangent
Show
Hide
i really didnt like the term "converted mana cost" for a long time, and irrationally avoided it in my designs just because it sounded not only unintuitive to its meaning to the layplayer, but it rang really technical to my ears. i was thankful when the term "mana value" was introduced which for some reason i dont have a problem with. i feel like all designers develop some particularities over time, tho maybe im especially neurotic
i wonder if +X/+0, where X is toughness isnt more complicated in interactions. im not sure if it gets into layers. like, when does the static ability apply after giant growth?

if you have a 0/3, that the +X/+0 static ability makes into a 3/3, then you giant growth.. would it

become a 6/6? or a 9/6?

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

wizyard wrote:
1 year ago
if you have a 0/3, that the +X/+0 static ability makes into a 3/3, then you giant growth.. would it

become a 6/6? or a 9/6?
You have two continuous effects that both apply in level 7c (P/T modifications): "+X/+0 where X is equal to the toughness (that is whatever the toughness is when this effect is applied)" and the +3/+3 from Giant Growth. Assuming there are no dependencies, you'd go based on timestamps. The +X/+0 has the timestamp of when the permanent with that static ability entered the battlefield. You said yourself that Giant Growth was cast later ("then you giant growth..."), so it has a later timestamp and it's applied afterwards. You'd start with a 0/3, then apply the +X/+0 first, which is +3/+0 because in this moment its toughness is still 3, making it a 3/3, then apply Giant Growth later, making it a 6/6. The usual disclaimer from last time applies here too.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Rithaniel

Well, even with Leo's clarification, wizyard has a point. Like, a casual player would probably be very confused by those kinds of interactions. So, while my alternative makes it easier for the designer to express what they want, it actually makes it harder for the user to understand.

With that in mind, I think I prefer the damage-calculation-replacement version.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

Surging Chaos
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Surging Chaos » 1 year ago

While I love the flavor on netn10's Road Kill, it is absurdly broken. Starting the game with a Road Kill in your graveyard means an immediate +1 to delirium, delve, and other graveyard oriented strategies. In some ways, this is almost like the same pitfalls that screwed the Companion mechanic by having an "eighth card" from the beginning of the game.
September 2022 DCC Winner

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

@Ink-Treader wins December. See today's thread for more stats and info. Tomorrow it will be @Rithaniel's turn to host. If nothing bad happens, I will host again in March.
Show
Hide

Surging Chaos
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Surging Chaos » 1 year ago

A very close month. See you all next time.
September 2022 DCC Winner

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Any month where someone's designs are strong enough that they can score over 100 points, but still come in second place, definitely has some remarkable participation and high quality overall.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Rithaniel

@OneAndOnly - Keep single conversational (non-card) posts to the discussion thread.

Though, yes, I think your suggested edit to Venedrex's card is logical. Honestly, I'd probably increase the cost, too.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@marioguy3 You entered twice today.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Rithaniel It looks like you forgot to give wizyard bonus points in today's thread for winning yesterday!

Rithaniel

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
@Rithaniel It looks like you forgot to give wizyard bonus points in today's thread for winning yesterday!
Whoopsidaisy. Lemme fix that
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

Rithaniel

Hey DCC players. Tonight's thread will be going up a couple hours later than usual. The goal is currently to get it up before 2am.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

wizyard wrote:
1 year ago
bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
Loot the Corpse 2BB
Sorcery (U)
As an additional cost to cast Loot the Corpse, sacrifice a creature or planeswalker.
You draw X cards and you lose X life, where X is the sacrificed permanent's toughness if it was a creature or loyalty if it was a planeswalker.
i feel like the wording of last line could be shortened to

"You draw X cards and you lose X life, where X is the sacrificed permanent's toughness or loyalty."
I had considered that but I didn't go with it because it could imply that creatures have loyalty or planeswalkers have toughness, I didn't want cross-references to be even vaguely possible. Thanks for the feedback anyway.
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”