Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
wizyard wrote:
2 years ago
void_nothing, Legend

sorry yall i was on a train for 2 days and didnt have internet access
You still won though! Awesome! Makes me feel even worse for losing. lol Congrats!
Month's not over, Rith said so himself in the op of the thread. We'll find out who wins in a few hours but it's bound to come down to the wire.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 years ago

It did indeed go to wizyard, but don't worry about it, Legend. Like, that lead wizyard had wasn't insurmountable, but keep in mind that people get 80-100 points in 30 days. Getting 10 points in 2 days is a tall order. Not impossible, but not easy, by a long shot. The fact that we almost did it is impressive in itself.

Also, I was talking up the chase a bit because it was a fun little bit of hype. After all, when first place isn't increasing its lead, why not try to overtake them?
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 2 years ago

im glad it made it a lil more dramatic at least at the end there hehheh

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

My tenure with the DCC starts tonight, and for tonight specifically I'll need to post the thread a couple hours earlier than I normally would (between 9 and 10 PM Eastern) as I have an emergency that requires me to be up very early tomorrow morning. I'll be back to a more normal schedule the day after that.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
My tenure with the DCC starts tonight, and for tonight specifically I'll need to post the thread a couple hours earlier than I normally would (between 9 and 10 PM Eastern) as I have an emergency that requires me to be up very early tomorrow morning. I'll be back to a more normal schedule the day after that.
Ah darn, I guess that means I missed tonight.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And congratulations to @bravelion83, February's winner in a contest where just yesterday, the eventual winner and the three contestants behind all had scores in the 60s. A very close race.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Congratulations to @bravelion83 for winning February, right after being confirmed as the winner of the January MCC.
Thank you for hosting and thank you to everybody who voted for my cards throughout the month.
Yes, it's a double victory in two days for me. I didn't expect that, what I expected was to go out in Round 2 in the MCC with the Battery, and to not even have a chance here in the DCC, as I usually do honestly, so I'm very happy things turned out in my favor this time for once. My last victory in the DCC was in March 2015, exactly seven years ago. We were still on Salvation, and it was a tie with Piar. The DCC is probably the most difficult contest for me among the main three we have here.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
(Leo's note: emphasis mine.)
The seasons turn, everything moves into its allotted place in the year, and the said illustrious personage...
Thank you for the nice words, but I feel like it's a bit too much! :) In Italian we have a saying that was my first instinctive inner response as I read those two words: "Ma anche meno!" Literally, in English it would be "But also less!", I haven't been able to find an English equivalent. I only found "How about no?" which is similar but not exactly the same. "Ma anche meno!" is an ironic way to say that what you're hearing is way too much for you, both in a positive (like this case) or negative way depending on the context. Anyway, this is not a lesson in the Italian language, so thanks again and let's move on.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
...will be taking over the contest for March. Therefore, the next thread will be a few hours late compared to this one. But every other thread in the month will be posted around the same time, so this should not really affect anyone's posting schedule.
Yes, for the purpose of the contest, this is the most important part. Just let me quote myself from today's thread:
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Starting tomorrow, I'll be your host for the month. Expect the thread to go up around 3 PM Central European time, which should be 6 AM Pacific, 9 AM Eastern, and 1 AM of the following day Australian Eastern (Sydney), if I got my calculations right. I'm sorry, especially to Australian people which will see the previous day's date on their today's thread, but I can't do otherwise due to real life reasons that I won't get into as they're obviously quite personal.
Now back to my DCC victory.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
And congratulations to @bravelion83, February's winner in a contest where just yesterday, the eventual winner and the three contestants behind all had scores in the 60s. A very close race.
Yes, in the last few days I had the lead but there were like five or six players in just a few points. I've had fear to lose. For the first time in seven years I had the chance to win a DCC month, and I really didn't want to miss. Last time was seven years ago, on Salvation, and tied. Now I felt it was time to try to win by myself, and I finally had a real chance, but I knew I couldn't fail in the last days, and especially in the very last one. So I put extra thought in my cards for those last few days, and again especially for the very last one. So, as I had promised, here's the latest installment of "Leo's design notes"! It's shorter than the one from the MCC yesterday though. Check out my post in MCC discussion thread for that in you're interested in hearing my thought process behind another one of my custom card designs. But now here's everything about Imperial Regulator.
The card
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Imperial Regulator XWW
Creature — Fox Advisor (R)
When Imperial Regulator enters the battlefield, choose one or more. Each mode must target a different creature.
• Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature you control.
• Put an Aura card with mana value X or less from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield attached to target creature you control.
• Put an Equipment card with mana value X or less from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield, then attach it to target creature you control.
1/1
bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
I have design notes about this card, but I will post them in the discussion thread after the vote is over, provided I remember to do so two days from now of course.
I've remembered so here they are:
Design notes
Show
Hide
[Leo's notes in italics between square brackets. Just like yesterday for the MCC, this text is copypasted exactly. What you see here is literally what I wrote while I was designing the card.]

What do my winners from this month have in common? They are all bottom-up. So let's make a bottom-up card. I need to keep my position at the top of the standings with this last card for the month, so I can't take risks. I have to do another bottom-up card. That's my strength apparently, and as I have to improve in going out of the box, it looks like I also have to improve in doing top-down designs. But today is not the right place. The next few players in the standings are just too close to me and can easily pass me, so I have to design a good card. It won't be easy, but when will it happen again that I have the opportunity to win a DCC alone? I've already done it years ago, but on Salvation and tied (with Piar).

Idea: all different ways to make a creature modified. At least since Polukranos, the value of X passes to an etb trigger. [Yes, now that I reread this, I realize I've got this technically wrong, because Polukranos's trigger is not an etb, but the fact that the value of X now does pass to an etb trigger is true, see the CR quotes later, and I think I remember Polukranos was the card that prompted the rules to change to allow that.] I also want to have different stats than Kaphortis from yesterday. [Kaphortis, my card from the previous day, was a 2/2 for 2WW, and this card also started with those same stats. I would have changed them later.] At first it was [also a 2/2 for 2WW with] an attack trigger with a reflexive trigger: "Whenever Imperial Regulator attacks, you may pay X. When you do, choose one or more.", now [This is the point where I changed the stats putting the X in the mana cost, making it a 1/1 for XWW.] etb to avoid it being repeatable (the modes are quite strong, if you choose them all you buff a creature permanently and get to drop two cards from your hand or recycle them) AND to make it shorter. Also, the X mana plus etb trigger version has the added benefit that if you cheat this into play instead of casting it, than X will automatically be zero.

In MSE, with the reflexive trigger it's 10 lines but 3 breaks, one more than Animate Dead. I also wish an ability like "Whenever a modified creature deals combat damage to an opponent, you gain 1 life." would fit for synergy, but it clearly doesn't, as doesn't flavor text. I had thought about removing the word "Imperial" from the name and saying "Use only Imperial approved technology." as flavor text. It was only one line, but it doesn't fit.

With the etb it's 9 lines and 3 breaks. One more break but one line less than Animate Dead. It should be acceptable.

I don't want to fuse the Aura and Equipment modes together because I want this to be able to target three different creatures. It's kind of the whole point of the card, being able to make three different modified creatures at once.

At worst it puts the counters on itself, and you will probably almost always want to do that, so it's not really a 1/1. It's like a Hydra with additional upside, so the base 1/1 and the double colored mana are probably not only fine but required for balance.

See Shadrix Silverquill for the "each mode must target a different thing" wording. That's also the reason why I can't target the Aura or Equipment card in the graveyard and you will have to make the choice of which one(s) to put onto the battlefield on resolution, The only targets must be the creatures. Also, I can't target things in hand (hidden zone).

The Aura mode putting the Aura directly attached and the Equipment mode first putting the Equipment onto the battlefield and then attaching it is totally intentional. It's true that SBAs aren't checked in the middle of an ability resolving, but an Aura can't stay on the battlefield unattached. [As I say, technically it can provided that it gets reattached before SBAs are checked, but I meant in spirit here.]

Relevant rules from the CR:
CR (NEO edition) wrote: 107.3m If an object's enters-the-battlefield triggered ability or replacement effect refers to X, and the spell that became that object as it resolved had a value of X chosen for any of its costs, the value of X for that ability is the same as the value of X for that spell, although the value of X for that permanent is 0. This is an exception to rule 107.3i.

107.3i Normally, all instances of X on an object have the same value at any given time.
All existing black-bordered examples of 107.3m I could find:
Awakened Awareness (NEO)
Fractal Harness (C21)
Gadwick, the Wizened (ELD)
Niko Aris (KHM)
Orcus, Prince of Undeath (AFR — This is the most relevant, it has an X in its mana cost and a MODAL etb in which each mode refers to X, exactly as I have here.)
Stumpsquall Hydra (Commander Legends)
The Meathook Massacre (AFR and also very relevant in current Standard)
Venarian Gold (from Legends, see Oracle text)

I'm pretty sure it's all in color, but let's make sure and check the Mechanical Color Pie article (https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2021-10-18).

White, primary:
• +1/+1 counter (creation and caring)
• Putting enchantments from hand onto the battlefield
• "Reanimate" permanent (Return a permanent card from a graveyard to the battlefield.)

White, secondary:
• Putting artifacts from hand onto the battlefield

Ok, everything's fine with the color pie. I thought that, but better safe than sorry.
And with this, I thank you all again for this amazing months (from my point of view at least), and I'll see you all again tomorrow in the European afternoon, this time as host.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

VOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING! *SHAKES FIST AT SKY IN MOCK RAGE* HOW DO YOU POST THE DCC 3 MINUTES BEFORE I GO TO EDIT MY CARD! LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I literally just got back home and I thought I could beat you to it. Dang it lol.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Whoops, that's always tough. Anyway, since this was a simultaneous kind of situation I was happy to switch the quote out to your edited card.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Whoops, that's always tough. Anyway, since this was a simultaneous kind of situation I was happy to switch the quote out to your edited card.
Oh yeah no worries, I was just away and thinking to myself, oh it's too late it's too late I'll just not edit. Get home. Hey its not too late! Edits: ITS TOO LATE. Lol no big deal just cracked me up.

Appreciate it. Didn't mean to sound rude, just trying to be silly over the internet which is tricky sometimes without seeing the other person's face. I'm a big goofball IRL who doesn't take much seriously.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@netn10 Your card and entry post for today's DCC are both incomplete.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@bravelion83 Rithaniel's entry is missing from today's thread.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
@bravelion83 Rithaniel's entry is missing from today's thread.
And from the scores too. Fixed now. I had realized that by myself already but thanks anyway.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Just so you all know, due to personal real life issues that I obviously won't get into here, today's thread (June 22nd) might or might not come even later than usual, and by several hours. I apologize in advance for any such additional delay that might happen.
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Rithaniel wrote:
1 year ago
I learned recently that Sikh people never cut their hair. It's part of "showing respect for the perfection of God's creation."
Initiated Sikhs - members of what's called the Khalsa - generally do not cut their hair, which is part of the reason for the famous Sikh turbans, which are called dastar in Punjabi. Many but certainly not all Sikhs are part of the Khalsa, however.

Uncut hair ("kesh") - representing humility before God - is the first of the so-called Five Ks that are marks of initiation in Sikhism. The other four are kangha, a wooden comb made in traditional style representing an orderly life; kara, an iron bracelet representing the bonds of the community; kachera, a white undergarment representing self-restraint; and kirpan, a dagger, which is basically a mere symbol these days, representing the duty to defend the innocent.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Rithaniel wrote:
1 year ago
I learned recently that Sikh people never cut their hair. It's part of "showing respect for the perfection of God's creation."
Initiated Sikhs - members of what's called the Khalsa - generally do not cut their hair, which is part of the reason for the famous Sikh turbans, which are called dastar in Punjabi. Many but certainly not all Sikhs are part of the Khalsa, however.

Uncut hair ("kesh") - representing humility before God - is the first of the so-called Five Ks that are marks of initiation in Sikhism. The other four are kangha, a wooden comb made in traditional style representing an orderly life; kara, an iron bracelet representing the bonds of the community; kachera, a white undergarment representing self-restraint; and kirpan, a dagger, which is basically a mere symbol these days, representing the duty to defend the innocent.
Ah, I didn't realize there was a distinction between the Sikh and the Khalsa (in fact, this is the first time I've heard of the Khalsa).

As I said before, I've actually be researching a lot of different cultures, as part of something I've been writing. But I always wonder if I'm making little misunderstandings like this.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

wizyard

Post by wizyard » 1 year ago

the DCC used to have a poll attached each day that could be clicked on.. the switch to manually inserting one's votes into one's posts happened out of necessity, since the poll feature at mtgsalvation stopped working for a long while.

would it be worth returning to the poll system? is that something ppl would like? i wouldn't mind myself

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

wizyard wrote:
1 year ago
the DCC used to have a poll attached each day that could be clicked on.. the switch to manually inserting one's votes into one's posts happened out of necessity, since the poll feature at mtgsalvation stopped working for a long while.

would it be worth returning to the poll system? is that something ppl would like? i wouldn't mind myself
As a host, getting the votes in the posts is so, so much easier to grade. Not to mention the usernames of voters aren't displayed...

wizyard

ah, fair enuff. as a player, it's hard to copy/paste on my phone but it's not that bad

Rithaniel

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
As a host, getting the votes in the posts is so, so much easier to grade. Not to mention the usernames of voters aren't displayed...
Would it be possible to get MtG Nexus to give us poll customization features that would be convenient for the DCC format? Like, an option to have the poll record the voter's username?
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Personally, I've never hosted the DCC with the poll format. I did host the DCC once back on Salvation before starting doing it regularly here, but even there I don't remember ever having to manage polls as a host. It must have been when the system had already changed. I am so used to the "post votes in your submission post" thing that I think it would require quite some getting used to on my part as a player and straight up learning how to do something you've never done before as a host. My own vote would go to "keep things as they are now", but I'm just one among many. And by the way, I also sometimes post from mobile and not just votes and cards, but I did it a lot also for posting the whole thread last month. Yes, it's harder and less convenient than on pc, but it's definitely doable.
Show
Hide

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Does the poll anonymize things? I'm sometimes hyperaware of how I've voted, how others have voted, who's ahead and who's behind, and I think keeping that information invisible for as long as possible leads to better game play and card creation.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

wizyard

i think the poll kept results hidden until after you voted,

and the poll creator had some control over the info that was revealed overall?

Rithaniel

bravelion83 wrote:
1 year ago
The reason I didn't vote for any of your previous cards in this cycle wasn't strategic voting or anything like that, it was just that the effects didn't usually correspond to the mana cost. In my opinion, this card is what the whole rest of the cycle should have been, so it does get my vote today. Cost: BG{U/R}, so I expect something monoblack, something monogreen, plus something that either blue or red could do by themselves. Exiling cards from graveyards is the black part, check. Life gain is the green part, check even if it also could have been white but it still makes perfect sense in green. Impulsive draw is red, no doubt about it, and blue can also do it as a subset of casting spells essentially from wherever it wants. This is how this cycle should have been done all along in my opinion, even if it's clearly a very difficult thing to do. But today you've done it well, so you do get my vote.
Oh yeah, for sure, you want to utilize the colors you have access to. That's actually been part of my mindset with designing this cycle. However, perhaps more importantly, you want a clean, elegant, easy-to-understand card.

Like, if I were to focus down on that mindset, and make something where you can clearly pick out which mechanics come from which colors, then I would only be making disjointed cards. The lines between the mechanics being too obvious hurts the design, and it's actually something that I've been disliking about my cards the last few days. Like, with Wrath of the Crazed, it's obvious that the blue incorporates "cares about cards in hand," red incorporates "damage," and the white/black is where the lifegain comes from (though, I am a little happy in the fact that white gives straight lifegain while black instead provides the second half of "deal damage and gain that much life").

Instead, the ideal is to try to go for mechanics that blur the lines elegantly and directly represent multiple combinations of colors. Like, if the cost is , then the ideal would be a mechanic that makes sense in or in . You want something that makes sense for both Sultai and Temur, for both Emergent Ultimatum and Genesis Ultimatum, for both Intet, the Dreamer and Vorosh, the Hunter.

But with that design method, you have to play a different kind of game. Incandescent Aria is an example of what this kind of design looks like. That card could easily be a mono-red card (and even if you insist that the green/white brings in the "cares about tokens" aspect, which red isn't barred from, it's still extremely doable in two colors). Why, then, is it three colors? The answer is that the design is singular. Nothing else does anything quite the same. It's splashy and eye-catching, and it feels like something that would enjoy having. The uniqueness and feel of the design earns it an extra couple of colors.

So, if you want something that is multicolored and simple, you have to make something unique and interesting. However, something that is unique and interesting and makes sense in multiple different three-color combinations is going to be difficult to design, so there are weaker versions out there. Like a design that makes sense in , but which has a little spice added to it, like what I tried to do with Choice of Tribulations (which happens to be my least favorite design out of the cycle so far - it was meant to be a Momentary Blink that incorporates a little land-hate).
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Rithaniel wrote:
1 year ago
But with that design method, you have to play a different kind of game. Incandescent Aria is an example of what this kind of design looks like. That card could easily be a mono-red card (and even if you insist that the green/white brings in the "cares about tokens" aspect, which red isn't barred from, it's still extremely doable in two colors). Why, then, is it three colors? (...)
And in fact this is exactly where I personally disagree with the real R&D (or Wizards, or Studio X, call it however you want). This question perfectly summarizes everything. Why is it three colors? Actually, that's probably the biggest point in all of Magic card design where my own opinion disagrees with theirs, and there are only a few of those. This just happens to be the biggest one. If you followed my judgments for the SNC-themed MCC month that I hosted in May you should have seen it. I've mentioned it there multiple times. Under their current guidelines, the Aria is indeed fine as Naya-colored. Instead, that card would totally be mono red if I had been the designer. But this is not a problem, just my personal opinion, and what I wrote in my spoiler wasn't meant to be a criticism of your designs or Wizards' philosophy. It was only meant to be an explanation of my own, and let me put emphasis on "my own", reasons why I voted for this card but not the other ones from the same cycle. That's all.
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”